Bill Gibbs

SoCal non-spin

Do you want to race downwind 120nm without a spinnaker?

N2E is a 120 nm, usually, mostly, downwind race.   As such, we've never thought there were many people who wanted to race it non-spin.  We have the CRUZ non-spin class, but CRUZ allows night motor use and is limited to boats slower than PHRF 60.  So if you have a faster boat, and want to race non-spin (perhaps as part of your Double Handed program) we don't have a class that allows you to benefit from your PHRF spinnaker offset.

We have one entrant that would like to do this.  If we can find him some like minded people, I might be able to get the race committee to create a new class for this group.  And where better to find people with unique ideas on racing fun than the SA forums. :)

Anyone?

Should be a good race.

Perhaps a trophy for the boat who has the most fun ......first to finish  buys a round of drinks for the fleet 

I  Dont much car for motors , but I guess it is important that all boats cross the line within a time limit. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, silent bob said:

Isn't this what allowed the boat to motor into the Island?!

More the autopilot, and I think they've changed the SIs for cruising class to avoid a repeat.

For Bill, if it's just one boat, why not just give them their non-spin rating and let them race with their regular class?

1 minute ago, TJSoCal said:

For Bill, if it's just one boat, why not just give them their non-spin rating and let them race with their regular class?

I thought about that too but what if it turns into an uphill deal? Or even just 50% upwind? Then all the other boats in that class would be disadvantaged to the extent of the non-spin offset that one boat has.

One possible solution might be to use the RLC, which is usually a happy medium between OWC & B  but even that idea has it's flaws. Important to note that the Classs Rules no longer require adherence to a rating type based on the course: the OA is free to apply whichever rating type they want.

How bout a Mac 26 class and see who can motor the fastest to Ensenada 

On 1/29/2018 at 12:10 PM, Parma said:

I thought about that too but what if it turns into an uphill deal? Or even just 50% upwind? Then all the other boats in that class would be disadvantaged to the extent of the non-spin offset that one boat has.

This is the crux of the issue.   

3 minutes ago, Bill Gibbs said:

This is the crux of the issue.   

A possibility, but to borrow a golf term I think it's a "rub of the green." In any PHRF race some boats are going to be advantaged and some disadvantaged by the particular conditions, and I don't think it's predictable enough for someone to try to game it.

56 minutes ago, TJSoCal said:

A possibility, but to borrow a golf term I think it's a "rub of the green." In any PHRF race some boats are going to be advantaged and some disadvantaged by the particular conditions, and I don't think it's predictable enough for someone to try to game it.

I will enter 2 boats: one with an uphill rating and the other with a down hill rating......

And yeah, someone will do that. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than new sails or fairing the hull.

it's just not worth the risk for the OA. The only way is a separate class or to shift everyone in every class to the buoy rating if it turns into an uphill slog