ECMWF has already started forecasting the frontal line further south than this morning and moving out east. GFS looks just a bit behind on it's rate of track SE. So, I'm pulling for the ECMWF to keep accelerating and moving out of the way. Although it is pretty light after the front moves through.

26 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

ECMWF has already started forecasting the frontal line further south than this morning and moving out east. GFS looks just a bit behind on it's rate of track SE. So, I'm pulling for the ECMWF to keep accelerating and moving out of the way. Although it is pretty light after the front moves through.

If you guys are using Windytv.com to look at the ECMWF, don't hold your breath on outside 96 hour accuracy.

I never put much credence in any forecast out beyond 4 days. But, it is fun to speculate.

• Like 1

Looking like the Saturday starters are going to be better timed with the pressure coming through.  Still too far to have any faith but still.

did the class breaks come in as expected?

Why does anyone think the race would allow paid weather and routing services during the race? Can't the navigator do some work himself? This is not a fully over-paid VOR or RTW record race. 

If you can't figure out how to get a sailboat to PV  by yourself -  fly!

11 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Why does anyone think the race would allow paid weather and routing services during the race? Can't the navigator do some work himself? This is not a fully over-paid VOR or RTW record race. 

If you can't figure out how to get a sailboat to PV  by yourself -  fly!

???????????

It looks pretty clear that one cannot use outside routing services but can use paid subscription services as long as they comply with the wording of 2.11.1.

This question was raised by Stan Honey, who is chairing a World Sailing committee (IIRC) on this issue,  at the Nav debrief after last years Transpac.  I recall that all of the Nav's agreed this was a bad idea.

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 6.56.51 PM.png

I believe this question was related to Predict Wind or similar.  It is not doing the routing for you but if you use some of their subscription models they are interpreting multiple GRIB files to produce their own refined version.  A lot of people use it to down load publically available GROBs when using the Iridium Go which is ok.  What is not Ok is to use the higher resolution versions of their GRIB files as they have been manipulated by them and are only available with a subscription.  I don't believe it is about actual routing but a grayer area.

On the subject of Predict Wind, here are some pretty pictures of potential Wx, top 3 Euro style, bottom 3 GFS style, for each start day, Thurs to Sat,  left to right: 

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 9.15.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 9.15.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 9.16.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 9.20.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 9.21.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 9.21.27 AM.png

Per the SI - its okay for PW to manipulate to integrate publicly available gribs (GFS, HRRR, etc) but what they cannot appear to do is provide boat specific weather nor any boat specific gribs. The SI doesn't seem to prohibit the high res gr

eibs.

But then, its not very hard to jump the line by adding even generic polars to the Offshore App and get routing info. - Guess we should pull the polar from PW and let EXP run it on the PW gribs.

11 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Per the SI - its okay for PW to manipulate to integrate publicly available gribs (GFS, HRRR, etc) but what they cannot appear to do is provide boat specific weather nor any boat specific gribs. The SI doesn't seem to prohibit the high res gr

eibs.

But then, its not very hard to jump the line by adding even generic polars to the Offshore App and get routing info. - Guess we should pull the polar from PW and let EXP run it on the PW gribs.

That is not how I read it.  It says "and is not interpreted by persons not on the boat".  To me this means you cannot have someone take publically available GRIBS interpret them to create a more accurate GRIB by condensing those different models into a single more accurate GRIB using years of experience, schooling, other sources and whatever other predicitve computer models are at their disposal.

Edited by fan
IRC not ORR
  • Like 1

I found this on the BYC site for IRC not sure if it is directly applicable to ORR or not.  I think so but YMMV.  Maybe someone more intelligent then me has another source for this info.

IRC (Time-on-Time) Time-Difference Table

Time-difference table generated for the Yacht "BB" with a TCC rating of 1.080

Yacht TCC   48 Hr 36 Hr 24 Hr 12 Hr 6 Hr 3 Hr 2 Hr 1 Hr 30 Min 20 Min 10 Min
TS 1.013 U Owe
Them
-11578 sec
03:12:57
-8683 sec
02:24:43
-5789 sec
01:36:28
-2894 sec
00:48:14
-1447 sec
00:24:07
-724 sec
00:12:03
-482 sec
00:08:02
-241 sec
00:04:01
-121 sec
00:02:00
-80 sec
00:01:20
-40 sec
00:00:40
Good 1.059 U Owe
Them
-3629 sec
01:00:28
-2722 sec
00:45:21
-1814 sec
00:30:14
-907 sec
00:15:07
-454 sec
00:07:33
-227 sec
00:03:46
-151 sec
00:02:31
-76 sec
00:01:15
-38 sec
00:00:37
-25 sec
00:00:25
-13 sec
00:00:12
BB 1.080 You 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Bret 1.096 They
Owe U
2765 sec
00:46:04
2074 sec
00:34:33
1382 sec
00:23:02
691 sec
00:11:31
346 sec
00:05:45
173 sec
00:02:52
115 sec
00:01:55
58 sec
00:00:57
29 sec
00:00:28
19 sec
00:00:19
10 sec
00:00:09
SRM 1.134 They
Owe U
9331 sec
02:35:31
6998 sec
01:56:38
4666 sec
01:17:45
2333 sec
00:38:52
1166 sec
00:19:26
583 sec
00:09:43
389 sec
00:06:28
194 sec
00:03:14
97 sec
00:01:37
65 sec
00:01:04
32 sec
00:00:32
Notes: Discrepancies between total secs and hh:mm:ss may be due to rounding during conversion / This table is to be used as reference only.

Elapsed times table based on YOUR elapsed time compared to your competition's time

Yacht TCC 48 Hr 36 Hr 24 Hr 12 Hr 6 Hr 3 Hr 2 Hr 1 Hr 30 Min 20 Min 10 Min
TS 1.013 03:10:29 02:22:51 01:35:14 00:47:37 00:23:48 00:11:54 00:07:56 00:03:58 00:01:59 00:01:19 00:00:39
Good 1.059 00:57:06 00:42:49 00:28:33 00:14:16 00:07:08 00:03:34 00:02:22 00:01:11 00:00:35 00:00:23 00:00:11
BB 1.080 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00
Bret 1.096 00:42:02 00:31:31 00:21:01 00:10:30 00:05:15 00:02:37 00:01:45 00:00:52 00:00:26 00:00:17 00:00:08
SRM 1.134 02:17:08 01:42:51 01:08:34 00:34:17 00:17:08 00:08:34 00:05:42 00:02:51 00:01:25 00:00:57 00:00:28
Notes: Discrepancies between total secs and hh:mm:ss may be due to rounding during conversion / This table is to be used as reference only.

It would be nice to get a definitive read before thursday. Since everyone can interpret the wording themselves and aren't going to discuss their interpretation very publicly. The old rule was clear, this one not so much.

I guess it depends if you think a subscription service getting multiple publically available GRIBS which is fine but then "interpreting them" or "manipulating them" using their own algorithyms high cloud data, current, weather bouys, other special sources etc and producing a refined more accurate GRIB that is not publically available based on their vast experience is interpreting the GRIBs or not.  They are not just taking all 3 and combining them together anyone can do that in Expedion they are using experience and giving more weight to some over other based on other external data.  I believe the point of this was that it is ok to use PW or another subscription program, as opposed to sailmail to aid in the downloading of publically available GRIBs.  If it is a PW GRIB it is not publically available. But this is going in circles so I think we can just agree to disagree and I can agree not to take it any further then an internet forum haha

one last thing it says they cannot interpret a GRIB OR manipulate with respect to a specific boat

Ah you are missing the key point, 

respect to a specific boat

This means a boat cannot be receiving weather that others do not have access to.  Everyone has access to the same Perdictwind and Sailflow GRIBS if they pay the fee. Perdictwind isn't writing a GRIB for just one boat, i.e. having a weather team. If Predict Wind was sending one GRIB to a boat then issuing a different GRIB to everyone else there would be a big issue.

I know for a fact that fan's boat will receive a pre-dock out report from commanders weather, then you can call commanders before the start to get an update... why is this ok but a GRIB is not? 

47 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

It would be nice to get a definitive read before thursday. Since everyone can interpret the wording themselves and aren't going to discuss their interpretation very publicly. The old rule was clear, this one not so much.

This!

I am not a fan of this change - but I know several boats are on board with it.

Sou9nds like Fan's only gripe is the high res version of predictwind since its consolidated (or interpreted in his verbiage).

I think the more important term is  " , and whose availability is publicly indexed"   - standard NOAA gribs are publicly indexed and available from various services as well as direct download.  Our predictwind gribs publicly indexed? even their low res PWE (50KM) is not punblicly indexed yet Fan believes these are okay (well may be not even those i guess if you use his interpret comment - which given that then NO PWE or PWG are allowed in his interpretation)

Fan - no offense to you - just using your valid interpretation to further this discussion to some positive end.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boyscout said:

Ah you are missing the key point, 

respect to a specific boat

This means a boat cannot be receiving weather that others do not have access to.  Everyone has access to the same Perdictwind and Sailflow GRIBS if they pay the fee. Perdictwind isn't writing a GRIB for just one boat, i.e. having a weather team. If Predict Wind was sending one GRIB to a boat then issuing a different GRIB to everyone else there would be a big issue.

I know for a fact that fan's boat will receive a pre-dock out report from commanders weather, then you can call commanders before the start to get an update... why is this ok but a GRIB is not? 

First while that may often be true this year it is not just FYI your fact is off maybe ifyou were sailing with us or in anyway involved you could make definitive statements like that.  But to answer your question it would be ok because it would be BEFORE THE START not during the race.

I think it's important to demonstrate the difference  between freely available and not freely available.

The Predict wind list is longer than my screen so I had to use three screen grabs. Pretty sure everyone here knows what the packages are, but........It is evident that the more money you pay, the better the packages and more detailed the information becomes (excuse my shocking grammar please).

This is no longer freely available and in fact I would argue becomes nearly impossible for smaller boats with less space to fit Fleet broadband receivers etc, to obtain.

This then tilts what could be perceived as an already uneven playing field further.

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 3.31.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 3.33.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 3.33.18 PM.png

1 hour ago, fan said:

That is not how I read it.  It says "and is not interpreted by persons not on the boat".  To me this means you cannot have someone take publically available GRIBS interpret them to create a more accurate GRIB by condensing those different models into a single more accurate GRIB using years of experience, schooling, other sources and whatever other predicitve computer models are at their disposal.

Since it says "and is not interpreted by persons not on the boat" and the sentence could have more easily been written as "and is only interpreted onboard" perhaps the case can be made that it can be interpreted by AI and algorithms running on the cloud, as long as no human is in the loop.

I don't think they meant that, but that is how it reads.

I agree with the comment by @RealEstateBroker that its just not worth trying to police this.

I see the issue, its the other guys have the tools and we don't syndrome. That's like complaining that a different boat has a spinnaker we don't have. 

2 minutes ago, boyscout said:

I see the issue, its the other guys have the tools and we don't syndrome. That's like complaining that a different boat has a spinnaker we don't have. 

Not from my end.  We have Predict Wind Pro account and Iridium Go to download.  My comment not complaint was simply my interpretation of there response to the question.  I still believe any GRIB file that has been interpreted by an outside source using multiple publically available sources to create a unique one to their subscription service is not legal. But I'm not race committee and I'm not going to protest so it just really doesn't matter much what I think.

5 hours ago, boyscout said:

Spoken like someone who is racing on a boat with an unlimited budget //cough cough// Disney

It’s not a money thing. It”s a doing onboard thing. 

I don’t think it’s cool to change long established rules because “everyone is doing it anyway”

slippery slope, see the trackers, stacking sails, now routing. Maybe we should just run the motor. 

See you there. 

um...is it a big boat year...start looks better versus earlier dudes

14 hours ago, sumpin said:

Kind of looking that way but will see as the fronts get closer.

14 hours ago, sumpin said:

Hard to disagree right now

Thurs.png

Fri.png

Sat.png

On 2/27/2018 at 10:06 AM, boyscout said:

When your a queens scout you " might " have the cred to comment . Not there right now mate .

looks like rain and uggg O-Kish friday..less rain and bigger breeze for big guys...

rain and in the 50's , I'll stay in bed

• Like 1

Good gear with hand warmers check

Good boat check

Good friends to sail with check

Improving conditions down the track check

It's still better than working!

• Like 1

Time to pack up the duffle bag and head out to sea. The Santa Cruz 50 Horizon is in the starting gate for the 2018 San Diego to Puerto Vallarta race. We have another strong team in place with:

John Shulze Skipper
Len Bose Team Manager
Alex Steele Navigator 
Justin Law
Greg Newman
Doug Carey 
Andy Dippel
Craig Chamberlain
Tom Okeefe

Our hopes are high and the competition is tough. We will break out of the gate alertly, and in a straight line. Our game faces our on, lets do this! Wish us luck.

20287191_1498184730239668_4846138749156108678_o.jpg

Thinking I too will need dig up some hand warmers.  Looking a bit miserable for the first 36 hours or so.  Definitely didn't win the start day lottery this year but we have been pretty spoiled the last few editions.  We have great group with almost the exact same group as last time and 80% the same as the one before that and before that haha  Looking forward to throwing the lines off, turning off the phone, going racing and settling into the 4 on 4 off cycle of life again.  Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

My pretty pic contribution to thread.  See you on the line tomorrow, if not at the party tonight.

Fri:

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 11.07.20 AM.png

Sat:

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 11.07.49 AM.png

no sneaking away for the friday guys..

• Like 1

Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out.   light start, decent middle and who knows how it will end.  Leave the A5, A4 and #3 on the dock.   

5a998557b18cf_3-2-20189-09-11AM.thumb.jpg.5161ab96e89282b82f4cde5aefdde944.jpg

Go Team TRIUMPH. In MEMORY OF DALE NORDIN. All around great guy. He may be gone but I guarantee his spirit is aboard.

Triumph Leads PV.jpg

stark raving mad have issues ?

1 hour ago, bigrpowr said:

stark raving mad have issues ?

Apparently

image.png.f33c05153d5e57b2ada4b8b0167abd5f.png

Sunday morning finds the NW flow finally setting in over the day 3 starters. For the fastest boats in the fleet this had to be frustrating as they simply outsailed the filling breeze and the slower boats in the day three start sailed up from behind them. It looks from the tracking that the NW fill was a little late but has finally taken over the faster boats like Mighty Merlot (27.8 knots) and RIO 100 (13.8 knots). As the high builds in there should be better wind today and tonight allowing the boats with bigger shoes to stretch a bit on the fleet. Keith Magnussen and the always fast TIME SHAVER is likely further up in the pack than tracking says as their last YB fix was at 12:20PM yesterday.

Stark Raving mad made a U turn and is headed for Ensenada with what I think I read somewhere was a medical issue. Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

The race may get a complete restart at the corner depending on how the El Norte High plays out over the next 24 hours.

Many thanks to all of the teams that got team gear from us and to those who purchased professional WxRouting. Those who followed the track are killing it right now. Well done.

3 hours ago, ExOmo said:

Yesterday's big boat start:

PV_Start_Saturday_03-Mar-2018.thumb.jpg.d78a467b63ae067b5237c76a87adedba.jpg

Great picture!

Play the east side of the pressure lane they said. It will be fast they said...MAGIC.

Winning boats East side of the pressure lane.jpg

6 hours ago, DryArmour said:

Play the east side of the pressure lane they said. It will be fast they said...MAGIC.

Winning boats East side of the pressure lane.jpg

So you are saying the Rogers 46 to the west is not going to pay?  We are pulling for Bretwalda - hoping the guys to the East Side of the pressure line lose out.  Anyway - restart at the Cape - we'll see who makes the transition the best.

Cheers,

opusone - 

1 hour ago, opusone said:

So you are saying the Rogers 46 to the west is not going to pay?  We are pulling for Bretwalda - hoping the guys to the East Side of the pressure line lose out.  Anyway - restart at the Cape - we'll see who makes the transition the best.

Cheers,

opusone - 

with varuna for sale...what's next?

IN REAL TIME, NOT 4 HOURS DELAYED:

At 6:20AM Mighty Merloe was taking the BUFFALO GIRLS route around the cape. We'll see how that works out for them but they are almost certainly the first pony in the barn.  Other teams may have their AIS turned off but there are quite a few boats in a pack well short of turning the corner. As someone pointed out above, there will almost certainly be a restart at the cape. It gets squirly trying to get through there during the afternoon hours...

I gather the MM finished this afternoon...new record.

looks like the breeze is down at the moment for the rest of the fleet.

Is it just me or is the tracker stuck at 1620 yesterday?  I tried clearing my cache etc. No luck.

24 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

Is it just me or is the tracker stuck at 1620 yesterday?  I tried clearing my cache etc. No luck.

An apology to all viewers and to SDYC from YB. We had a technical issue which caused all trackers to stop transmitting on-board the boats for an extended period. The problem has been resolved by a physical reset of the tracker on the yachts - this has taken some time to resolve since each skipper had to perform the reset on the trackers.

It isn't up to our usual standard. We have found the root cause of the issue (which initially happened with Timeshaver on Friday, and subsequently with the entire fleet overnight) and are confident that the same issue will not reoccur on this, or any other race.

As with all problems, it was actually caused by several factors:

- The first was the particular mode the trackers were in (taking a fix every 20 minutes, transmitting 3 positions every 60). There was a bug in the way we were interpretting this data, which caused it to look odd in our own management system.

- The second, there is a 60 minute delay implemented on the data, which was making transmissions look older than they actually were.

- And the third, was the combination of the first two - our on-call engineer, late at night, was looking at the data and warnings from our monitoring system, and considered that a serious problem had occurred with all the trackers on the race. He therefore sent a reset command to the trackers remotely in order to resolve the problem. This reset command did indeed reset the trackers, but also put them back into standby mode waiting to be activated again - thus causing a massive problem out of a relatively minor one.

The bug in the special 60/20 mode data interpretation has been fixed, all engineers educated NOT to do that ever again without a second opinion, and the remote reset command protected from 'easy' use.

We try our best to always be honest in our explanation of a problem, and try to always learn from bad experiences. Hopefully everyone will agree we do a decent job the vast majority of the time, sometimes we mess up - sorry SDYC.

Nick @ YB

15 minutes ago, nickfarrell said:

An apology to all viewers and to SDYC from YB. We had a technical issue which caused all trackers to stop transmitting on-board the boats for an extended period. The problem has been resolved by a physical reset of the tracker on the yachts - this has taken some time to resolve since each skipper had to perform the reset on the trackers.

It isn't up to our usual standard. We have found the root cause of the issue (which initially happened with Timeshaver on Friday, and subsequently with the entire fleet overnight) and are confident that the same issue will not reoccur on this, or any other race.

- The first was the particular mode the trackers were in (taking a fix every 20 minutes, transmitting 3 positions every 60). There was a bug in the way we were interpretting this data, which caused it to look odd in our own management system.

- The second, there is a 60 minute delay implemented on the data, which was making transmissions look older than they actually were.

- And the third, was the combination of the first two - our on-call engineer, late at night, was looking at the data and warnings from our monitoring system, and considered that a serious problem had occurred with all the trackers on the race. He therefore sent a reset command to the trackers remotely in order to resolve the problem. This reset command did indeed reset the trackers, but also put them back into standby mode waiting to be activated again - thus causing a massive problem out of a relatively minor one.

The bug in the special 60/20 mode data interpretation has been fixed, all engineers educated NOT to do that ever again without a second opinion, and the remote reset command protected from 'easy' use.

We try our best to always be honest in our explanation of a problem, and try to always learn from bad experiences. Hopefully everyone will agree we do a decent job the vast majority of the time, sometimes we mess up - sorry SDYC.

Nick @ YB

That sort of public response is commendable.

40 minutes ago, nickfarrell said:

Nick @ YB

Thank you Nick for such a comprehensive reply. I love watching the races through yellow brick and look forward to seeing how the boats are coming along now. Have a great Tuesday.

Also, just to correct myself - there's a 4 hour delay implemented on the race, not 60 minutes - so it does take a little longer for data to arrive back in the public viewer now that everything is back working again. Most boats now have recent (4 hours ago) data in the public viewer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sunseeker said:

That sort of public response is commendable.

what this guy said !

looks like Rio 100 is getting pretty close the finish...16 knots per marinetraffic....

On 2/20/2018 at 2:07 PM, OHAWHO said:

I tried to copy and paste some of the division stuff but I think it's changed so much I calls for a new post.

Multi:

Mighty Merlot - Look at islands race...crushed it and no competition with chim chim.  To be fair you could legitimately could have had a barbecue and watched the olympics on chim chim while still racing.

Division 1:

This is the race for the first to finish boats, I think Rio wins 1st across the line (behind merlot) and prospector wins corrected.  Rio was on her way back from Hawaii as of two days ago so this is assuming shes fitted with a new rudder and back to California in time.

Division 2:

Bad Pak is the overall winner and clear winner of this class unless something surprising happens.

Division 3:

Pyewacket's race to lose reference the previous post about boats preparation and program preparedness.  Medicine man should be first to finish in this class but well see what they decide to do.

Division 4:

The big changes in class breaks start here, you have brewalda vs blue blazes (as mentioned before I don't know why you wouldn't put bretwalda with the j125s).  I think your dark horse in this race is Stark Raving Mad, but that boat won't hang in the big breeze with planing hulled smaller boats.  Could be a tough race for Blue Blazes with the swan excelling in lighter conditions with waterline and the rogers excelling in planing conditions with bigger breeze.  I'm going to say bretwalda for the win in this class and hope to see a good race with the swan and Blue Blazes.

Division 5:

The SC50/52 class will be dominated by horizon unless triumph or one of the other teams can capitalize on mistakes of horizon.  She's been a challenging competitor among sisterships for 10 years (minus that 2 minute loss in 15 transpac).  She's beatable but it won't be easy.

Division 6:

The guys on fast exit seem to think they have the boat sorted after islands and are excited for this race but I don't see them holding with the 125s, I think timeshaver and derivative duke it out for the win and as I said before I'm picking timeshaver.  Unfortunately the guy with the 1d35 has a boat that doesn't compete with carbon 40 footers.  Maybe it's rating will compensate if it's light?

Division 7:

As I said before I'm much less familiar with these boats and would guess Marjorie wins.

Ok so here is how I did:

Multi:

Mighty Merloe was first boat to finish and set the mulithull record besting their previous record.  They also corrected out ahead of Chim Chim.  Congrats to them.  I got this one right.

Division 1 & 2 were put together presumably because El Cabron didn't show up.

Rio was first monohull across the line as expected and Vincitore was 1st corrected in front of prospector.  I projected prospector to win division 1 and Bad Pak to win division 2 so I'll count this as half right/half wrong.

Division 3:

I projected Pyewacket to win this class and they did, but they also won overall.  I'll count this as mostly right.

Division 4:

Bretwalda won this class but Blue Blazes was way out ahead coming into Mag Bay, I thought it was going to be a closer run but it looked like the breeze was strong between cabo and PV and bretwalda was lit up.  Hopefully we can get a debrief from the Blue Blazes guys?

Division 5:

Horizon won as projected, lucky duck was much more their competition then Triumph.  I missed them as the strongest competitor but picked the correct winner.

Division 6:

Timeshaver took this class after an entertaining battle with derivative, at Cabo I was convinced Derivative had it but as Keith mentioned they had the right sail coming into PV and 'that made the difference. A disappointing showing from Fast Exit, I was hoping these guys could have showed that this boat isn't the dud she always seemed to be.

Division 7:

Marjorie looked like she might have been first to finish for a little while there and as predicted she won her class handily.

Congrats to all sailors, and especially those able to finish.  I'll try again for CA Offshore

Fun race. A couple of tricky transitions. From Ensenada to Cabo was normal 15 to 20 knot VMG running. Traded places back and forth boat for boat with Lucky Duck. We rounded Cabo about 25 miles south. Close reach across. 

Great job to Team Time Shaver for pressing hard across the gulf. Blue Blazes also did a great job with the moderate conditions we had.

Tough day Wednesday getting in. 

1 hour ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Fun race. A couple of tricky transitions. From Ensenada to Cabo was normal 15 to 20 knot VMG running. Traded places back and forth boat for boat with Lucky Duck. We rounded Cabo about 25 miles south. Close reach across. 

Great job to Team Time Shaver for pressing hard across the gulf. Blue Blazes also did a great job with the moderate conditions we had.

Tough day Wednesday getting in. 

congrats buddy !

I lifted this from the other site SB

"Taking Division 3 and Overall honors is Roy Disney’s Andrews 70 Pyewacket with a dream team of Tom Addis (AUS), Stuart Bannatyne (NZL), Mark Callahan (AUS), Scott Easom (USA), Torben Grael (BRA), Brian Janney (USA), Robbie Kane (USA), Ben Mitchell (USA), and Matt Reynolds (USA)."

How much does a Dream Team like this cost?
To jaunt down the coast of Baja??
Really 

59 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

"Taking Division 3 and Overall honors is Roy Disney’s Andrews 70 Pyewacket with a dream team of Tom Addis (AUS), Stuart Bannatyne (NZL), Mark Callahan (AUS), Scott Easom (USA), Torben Grael (BRA), Brian Janney (USA), Robbie Kane (USA), Ben Mitchell (USA), and Matt Reynolds (USA)."

Really 

If you have to ask...

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

Really 

i wont say that's an unimpressive list ! must be roy sr.'s will !

13 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Tom Addis (AUS), Stuart Bannatyne (NZL), Mark Callahan (AUS), Scott Easom (USA), Torben Grael (BRA), Brian Janney (USA), Robbie Kane (USA), Ben Mitchell (USA), and Matt Reynolds (USA)."

That's actually quite a few differences from the "usual suspects"....?

Wonder what's in the wind, so to speak.

13 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Really 

I don't think it's a jaunt down the coast, it's a 1000nm+ race on a BIG boat. Those guys are there because they know what's going to need to be done before it needs to be done. Foresight & experience are valuable and a small part of the overall cost. I'd go just to learn.

What's the story with Cazan? Seems slow for the boat.

4 hours ago, Parma said:

What's the story with Cazan? Seems slow for the boat.

Might have been a charter with not enough time to sort out the boat and crew . It looks like a lot faster boat than its ET, for sure.

6 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Might have been a charter with not enough time to sort out the boat and crew . It looks like a lot faster boat than its ET, for sure.

I was not sure what the DK 46 was rated PH or IRC but looked it up: rates the same as the 125s

Cazan was a pony-ride with paying crewmembers from J-World.   No experience, no time together and no chance.  Probably needed a cocktail waitress to complete the roster.

All sorry for the delay but this is the first time I have been back in front of a computer since before the race.  SO as we all know the forecast was not great for us Fri starters.  A bigger issue for us was that the routing was showing a strong move to the outside.  So some backstory while the Blue Blazes is a great boat she is an old boat and as such tight reaching is a weak spot for us anything in 80-100 under 15 or so we get killed by the boats with Code 0"s, Masthead Genoas, A7's etc.  Our only go to is Jib Top which  needs breeze to go and even then there is no step for us to get onto.  This thought of do what we do played a major part in us going where we went.  So we got out of the bay ok only behind SRM.  The routing was saying to go between the Islands going out.  As we headed out I was saying everything except the routing is telling me to put a kite up and go below.  Our fearless navigator agreed despite the routing.  Once we got  through the Coronados it was my inclination to close up in front of everyone as we were punched out ahead.  We went back to Jib on an outboard lead and went up towards them. It was at this time we committed to the inside. I think the conversation was we should consolidate up with everyone we are down here all by ourselves... Navigator "I am ok with that". There was, we believed pressure on the inside and a lot less distance.  SO we played the inside working any shifts that came along never a ton of breeze but never no breeze.  So we felt good about where we were approaching Cabo could have gone into Lazaro a little harder but all in all happy. This is usually where we make out money from here to PV in the lighter stuff.  I think we may have even been 1-1 still. We had some freighter craziness around Cabo and got bounced to avoid a collision.  AN interesting VHF conversation with the freighter saying they were going to go in front but instead attempted to run us down.  We were happy with where we came out and felt we had a good line.  Bretwalda was 16 inside and 2 ahead we figured with their tighter angles this would play well for us with the lighter breeze.  Well the wind picked up 12-16 90-110 TWA which is the chink in our armour.  SO instead of VMG running/reaching in 6-10 we were blast reaching in 12-16 a big issue for us.  We put up the Jib Top and messed with several iterations of Stay sail arrangements trying to get whatever we could out of the old girl.  We know the 46 and the J-125's would probably be on step with a frac something up.  As some of you know I normally race on Timeshaver so I had a pretty good idea of what they were doing and it wasn't good for us.  Our only hope was it was a but too tight with a bit too much side wave action for them to go forward but this was not the case.  We had been talking about arrival timing for a few days already and where seriously concerned.  As it turned out we were correct we came in to about 9 miles form the finish ands parked.  IT took over 6 hours to go the last 9 miles and with that any hope winning.  It was great race with great group we worked really hard and didn't leave anything on the course.  It really proved to me again what great boat the 125's are.  Congrads to Bretwalda and Timeshaver on well sailed race. Happy to answer any questions.  Not sure if this will be last PV for BB or not because while to owner is 80+ he was feeling pretty pumped up.  As always JC did an amazing job of keeping us in the hunt and as always rocked the turn at Cabo.  Still haven't looked at the tracker but will try to peek today.

On 3/8/2018 at 5:28 PM, Meat Wad said:

Really 

Not one answer as to about how much this might have cost? 
On these maxi sleds, yes it is a jaunt down the coast.

On my 26 the SB 2 KH (75mile) is a jaunt down the coast but they want me to have so much shit on my boat, I do not do the race.
The sad thing is they do not enforce the safety regulations they specify, like the PV Race does.

oh well, that's yacht racing :) or is it?

36 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

On my 26 the SB 2 KH (75mile) is a jaunt down the coast but they want me to have so much shit on my boat, I do not do the race.
The sad thing is they do not enforce the safety regulations they specify, like the PV Race does.

The guy writing the check doesn’t give a shit what it cost. Maybe 50k for crew costs. Sails cost more than the boat. If you have to ask...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

My guess is 10k a day, both robbie and mark callahan are salary employees, I don't know how much Brian got but he's probably not in the 1000+ a day club.  So most likely 7k a day so $35k for the crew sails running rigging etc not included.  Really not what everyone thinks it is, if you're earning $1m a year (a 1% according to"The Washington Center for Equitable Growth put the average household income for this group at $1,260,508 for 2014") this doesn't affect your lifestyle.