Sign in to follow this  
the_abandoned_brane

Emotional support peacock denied flight by United Airlines

Norm Macdonald did a great skit on this stuff once. Every comfort animal had its own lesser comfort animal, ending with two turtles humping.

xXXnYwN.jpg

How about an emotional support boa..........?

54cad831cb6ae_-_rachelweisz5.jpg

I hate to say it but maybe some of the conservatives are on to something if we have people believing that they need an emotional support peacock in order to travel.

• Like 4

If you can't travel without your peacock then you are too emotionally disturbed to travel.

Stay home with the drapes drawn.

• Like 3

vicious critters... Now if the airlines all had security Peacocks on board, we wouldn't need to worry about terrorists so much. Most people would be so paralyzed by fear the first time the bird opened it's beak they wouldn't even get out of their seat to pee, much less hi-jack the plane..... Cocrico, Guinea fowl, Emu, Cassowaries, and Geese would also be good choices....

A friend has a peacock. They are NOT cuddly birds and aren't emotionally supporting anyone. They will scream loud enough to be heard in the next county, peck you for fun, scream more if they don't get a treat, peck you again just to make sure, and shit all over the place. And those are their GOOD features :rolleyes:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

I hate to say it but maybe some of the conservatives are on to something if we have people believing that they need an emotional support peacock in order to travel.

i think you're being sarcastic, but the reason for hte explosion of "support" animals was so that people could simplify their movement of pets. This person's alternative would likely be to drive... i doubt you can crate an exotic bird... Which, speaking of which, how the fuck can you own a bird like that as a pet? 

1 hour ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

My next dog will be an emotional support animal. 

VPtMhq2.jpg

looks like the pony needs emotional support...poor little bugger.

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

i think you're being sarcastic, but the reason for hte explosion of "support" animals was so that people could simplify their movement of pets. This person's alternative would likely be to drive... i doubt you can crate an exotic bird... Which, speaking of which, how the fuck can you own a bird like that as a pet? 

This. Airlines made it hard to ship animals in the cargo compartment because they kept letting them die, particularly by parking them on a hot ramp in the sun for a couple of hours. Limited small “purse dogs” or cats to a small number per flight in carry on bags. Pet owners found the “support animal” loophole and have abused it. 

I have a older widowed friend that have some issues from undiagnosed Lyme Disease and his rescue Lab and he are each other’s support animals. He doesn’t even think about flying with the dog. He either drives or my adult daughter who lives near him dog sits and he deals with it.  I have acquaintances who absolutely abuse the support animal claim to save money. Their undisciplined and untrained mutts are no more support animals than a croc would be.  

Peacock?  What KIS and Lefty said. Nice to look at but never think about having one close. 

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

vicious critters... Now if the airlines all had security Peacocks on board, we wouldn't need to worry about terrorists so much. Most people would be so paralyzed by fear the first time the bird opened it's beak they wouldn't even get out of their seat to pee, much less hi-jack the plane..... Cocrico, Guinea fowl, Emu, Cassowaries, and Geese would also be good choices....

Swans!

52 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Peacock?  What KIS and Lefty said. Nice to look at but never think about having one close. 

What ill tempered shit birds. Mrs PB & I hiked across northern UK in 2013 (Wainwrights Coast to Coast). At one point we came down off one of the fells and on a peaceful little trail alongside a village were met by a peacock standing its ground on the trail. Jesus what an asshole bird. At first I was quite flustered at the persistence of its attack and tried to just leave it behind. Finally I lost my fluster and gained my anger. Hopefully someone found it where I left it and ate it. 

A Peacock will sometimes need its neck broken to deter it from attacking. As has been said, they can be viscous.

One of them attacked my new Ram truck because it saw itself in the shiny chrome bumper. Scratched the crap out of it.

Untied got it right this time.

They should have beat the shit out of the bird and dragged it off the airplane.

2 hours ago, chester said:

looks like the pony needs emotional support...poor little bugger.

At least this piglet looks happy. 

Vi3v4ju.jpg

oAQroBi.thumb.jpg.ff1e32dc4201670e3be431205d9f1c17.jpg

4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

DIY in flight meal?

I'd sooner eat the cushion.

9 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

VPtMhq2.jpg

Dreadful, the poor strain on his neck shoulders arms and hands, merely to hold a pen and write something on a piece of paper. I think I can hear him wheezing from over here, why doesn’t he just create a cute little table and perch it on his belly so he can write easier is the main question, now

9 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

VPtMhq2.jpg

Curious why a right handed person is writing on the wrong side of his body, I wonder what is over there ...on the far side

13 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

At least this piglet looks happy. 

Vi3v4ju.jpg

that's a shit eatin' grin!

13 hours ago, chum said:

A Peacock will sometimes need its neck broken to deter it from attacking. As has been said, they can be viscous. Pour animal.

One of them attacked my new Ram truck because it saw itself in the shiny chrome bumper. Scratched the crap out of it.

Untied got it right this time.

They should have beat the shit out of the bird and dragged it off the airplane.

I thought I had read that the woman was using the peacock as an art project,  photographing over a period of time..  thus not really a support animal..   probably taking it somewhere for a photoshoot..    so what are the hotels etc doing with these animals, does someone with a shetland pony think they can just check it in at the Hilton?

I don't know what they do with all the excrement from these animals. What was the lady going to do with all the peacock soup droppings? What about the pony? 

Peacocks - for when the sound of grinding rust off big sheets of metal at night is too soothing and when cats are too grateful for their treats :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, scottyMO said:

Curious why a right handed person is writing on the wrong side of his body, I wonder what is over there ...on the far side

Perhaps the pony is spellchecking for him?

12 hours ago, scottyMO said:

Lack of elbow room is over there.

It’s too bad that what was intended to be an important accommodation for people really dependent on guide dogs on and other medically valid support needs has been turned into a free for all freebie for unscrupulous individuals. I guess that’s the way of the world anymore. 

Mrs PB and I stayed (without our very well behaved dog) at a beautiful and expensive B&B in Paso Robles a couple years back. The B&B had a no pets policy. The second day a couple arrives with a woman who has a ill mannered barky little rat dog she surprised the inn keepers with having made no mention of it in their reservations. She asserted it was a “comfort dog”. Well, it ran all over the place when she was there, barking, sitting under the breakfast table and licked my hand while I was eating. However apparently she did not require “comfort” while away during the day as she left it alone locked in their room where it howled and barked while she was gone. We objected to the proprietors who told us their attorney had advised them that even the most blatant “comfort animal” ruses would be problematic legally to assert otherwise and deny them lodging. Never one to suffer quietly, that evening I discussed  with the woman my observations and listed my objections to her dogs behavior and requested she take actions to remedy thoose. It quickly devolved the conversation into an indignant harangue from her about her “rights”. After trying to reason with her I ended the conversation with a heartfelt “f*#@ you, you snooty dishonest old bitch”. Mrs PB was both horrified and amused at the same time. The couple checked out early the next day.

Bitch......

My dog is a registered service dog. That said, I don't take him to places where people are disturbed by his presence.... Usually. Sometimes it's just not feasible.

He's very well behaved, if perhaps overly friendly when people who just can't read come up to him and pet him and make coo-coo sounds at him.

He's had several opportunities to legitimately bite the hell out of people who mistreat him because of their ignorance, and stupidity, but thankfully he has retreated (as trained) rather than retaliate.

I, on the other hand, nearly threw an asshole deckhand off of a high speed ferry in the Caribbean during one altercation. Thankfully the Capt. was less insane than the deckhand.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

My dog is a registered service dog. That said, I don't take him to places where people are disturbed by his presence.... Usually. Sometimes it's just not feasible.

He's very well behaved, if perhaps overly friendly when people who just can't read come up to him and pet him and make coo-coo sounds at him.

He's had several opportunities to legitimately bite the hell out of people who mistreat him because of their ignorance, and stupidity, but thankfully he has retreated (as trained) rather than retaliate.

I, on the other hand, nearly threw an asshole deckhand off of a high speed ferry in the Caribbean during one altercation. Thankfully the Capt. was less insane than the deckhand.

I have no problem with people who have a need for a service animal,  it's just all the cheaters, like people who cut in line because they're special, they just need to be beaten a little bit for normal congnitive thinking to set in...

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I have no problem with people who have a need for a service animal,  it's just all the cheaters, like people who cut in line because they're special, they just need to be beaten a little bit for normal congnitive thinking to set in...

I would add that there needs to be needs to be a limited set of options on what constitutes a Service Animal.  A seeing eye dog?  You bet.  A frigging Peacock as a "comfort animal"?  Bullshit.  A trained (documented), domesticated and well accepted animal within certain size and species limits for medically proven conditions?  Sure.  

An untrained pony , giraffe, chicken or the like because some snowflake is anxious about flying or just wants to cheat the system?  No freaking way.  

We are scared to call out folks who are cheating and ultimately folks with real problems will suffer for it.  You see that already with handicap placards and plates.  Folks with real handicaps, easily identified can't get a marked spot because some kid grabbed Grandma's placard so he could park next to the door.  I have a close family member with a placard for a condition not obvious at a glance who would happily pull out his wallet card periodically if it meant we would challenge the cheaters and provide them with appropriate sanctions.  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I would add that there needs to be needs to be a limited set of options on what constitutes a Service Animal.  A seeing eye dog?  You bet.  A frigging Peacock as a "comfort animal"?  Bullshit.  A trained (documented), domesticated and well accepted animal within certain size and species limits for medically proven conditions?  Sure.  

An untrained pony , giraffe, chicken or the like because some snowflake is anxious about flying or just wants to cheat the system?  No freaking way.  

We are scared to call out folks who are cheating and ultimately folks with real problems will suffer for it.  You see that already with handicap placards and plates.  Folks with real handicaps, easily identified can't get a marked spot because some kid grabbed Grandma's placard so he could park next to the door.  I have a close family member with a placard for a condition not obvious at a glance who would happily pull out his wallet card periodically if it meant we would challenge the cheaters and provide them with appropriate sanctions.  

Wallet card? WTF is a wallet card?

I am ADA... Nobody gave me a wallet card.

I can legally park in the "Andy Capp" zone, but I rarely do, because I figure there are other people who might need it more than I.

It pisses me off something crazy to see people leap out of their cars and sprint into the store while parked in the zone, and I will admit to occasionally stopping behind them and getting out to check my oil and tire pressure, just so that their little quick trip wasn't any quicker than if they had parked 2 spaces away.

• Like 1

First let me say that there are - unfortunately - few credible certification programs. Oh there are plenty of "programs" that will send you a certifying card and you can get a cute little vest from the same place....all for around $100. Shameful.

There are a few organizations that legitimately put dogs through certification programs including testing. We had the notion of having our dog become a "comfort dog" for the purpose of visits to our local VA and Children's Hospitals (the VA is only about a 5 minute drive for us). Both of those organizations absolutely require certification by a specific certifying program including a list of trainers who can help with the training and administer/sign off on the testing. Well, our girl was not up to the program. She is simply way too enthusiastically friendly bouncing around etc when greeting new folks. Not desired behavior around sick/injured people. Also has a bad case of leash aggression around other dogs. Weirdest thing she plays fine with most dogs off the leash but is a holy terror when meeting on a leash. Leash behavior around other dogs is also a certification requirement since there is frequently more than one "comfort dog" at a hospital on any given day. At any rate the trainer (who has become a family friend) finally told us "well.....all dogs are not cut out for this.......yours is one of them". So we gave up on the idea. The point is...........actual certifying programs/agencies do exist.

Until the legal certifying requirements change to provide more specificity and various agencies - airlines, hotels etc. - grow a set and enforce those requirements then the chances this will change substantively any time soon are very low.

Don't legitimate service animals have something like the tag you hang for a disabled parking spot?

If not, they should. Too many selfish assholes in the world to do otherwise.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Don't legitimate service animals have something like the tag you hang for a disabled parking spot?

You can buy one of those today off the internet for under $100.....with no testing etc. Google it. You'll be astounded. Until there is some regulatory interest nothing will change.

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

ID-ESA-3_large.jpg?v=1510183255

Yours for $20.

You might find the ADA rules interesting.............

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Q5. Does the ADA require service animals to be professionally trained?

A. No. People with disabilities have the right to train the dog themselves and are not required to use a professional service dog training program.

What questions can you ask about a "service animal"

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

Do they need ID or other identification?

Q8. Do service animals have to wear a vest or patch or special harness identifying them as service animals?

A. No. The ADA does not require service animals to wear a vest, ID tag, or specific harness.

Like I said..................no legal changes.....no change in false service animals.

4 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

My dog is a registered service dog.

4 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I, on the other hand, nearly threw an asshole deckhand off of a high speed ferry

perhaps a tad further explanation should you be so kind ?

should you be able to threw an asshole deckhand off of a high speed ferry , why would you need a registered service dog. ?

Well on one hand I am happy to see people fucking over the airlines by doing stuff like this for all the years they have fucked anyone that had a need to bring a dog/whatever with them on travel(sometimes 2x seat price to put a dog in), same thing with being forced to buy a 2nd seat for your infant..  (I know, another argument for another time) I absolutely support this behavior as boarding your animals is getting ridiculously expensive and as a dog lover i really don't mind if fido is in mom's lap or under the seat.  However the blatant abuse of this loophole is unacceptable.  A horse??  Really??  The FAA needs to write something up and make it  industry wide and the fucks that are abusing this need to be booted in the nutz.  

Let the bird on the plane. Have a flight attendant tell the asswipe who owns the bird that it must ride in a special compartment because of bird flu (or some other made up reason). Take it into the galley and cook it. Serve it to 1st class passengers. When the bird's owner comes to collect the bird, give them a blank stare and say: "Peacock? What peacock?"

44 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I can legally park in the "Andy Capp" zone, but I rarely do, because I figure there are other people who might need it more than I.

It pisses me off something crazy to see people leap out of their cars and sprint into the store while parked in the zone, and I will admit to occasionally stopping behind them and getting out to check my oil and tire pressure, just so that their little quick trip wasn't any quicker than if they had parked 2 spaces away.

This says a lot about you. You have no idea of their circumstances. Are you the ADA police?

I don't judge you and your emotional support chihuahua, I can't possibly know why you would need it, and that's not my business.

Im trying to picture you out working the fields with your emotional support dog giving encouragement...  :) 

When someone parks in a legally-marked handicap spot without a validating placard or reg plate, the only circumstance that is relevant is that the person who parked there did so illegally, even if a passenger happens to be a one-legged blind girl in a wheelchair.   So, when someone with no visible signage does this and then easily and gracefully traipses into a store (or even sits there with an "I doan be hur-in nufin" smugness) I'd say they are fair game for a little passive recognition.  With that in mind,  a person protected by the ADA has IMO every moral right to check tire pressure, et al, on private or public property unless the area displays a prohibition against car maintenance. 

For some reason I read that he blocked people in who displayed a placard, but looked ok. My bad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Point Break said:

It’s too bad that what was intended to be an important accommodation for people really dependent on guide dogs on and other medically valid support needs has been turned into a free for all freebie for unscrupulous individuals. I guess that’s the way of the world anymore. 

Mrs PB and I stayed (without our very well behaved dog) at a beautiful and expensive B&B in Paso Robles a couple years back. The B&B had a no pets policy. The second day a couple arrives with a woman who has a ill mannered barky little rat dog she surprised the inn keepers with having made no mention of it in their reservations. She asserted it was a “comfort dog”. Well, it ran all over the place when she was there, barking, sitting under the breakfast table and licked my hand while I was eating. However apparently she did not require “comfort” while away during the day as she left it alone locked in their room where it howled and barked while she was gone. We objected to the proprietors who told us their attorney had advised them that even the most blatant “comfort animal” ruses would be problematic legally to assert otherwise and deny them lodging. Never one to suffer quietly, that evening I discussed  with the woman my observations and listed my objections to her dogs behavior and requested she take actions to remedy thoose. It quickly devolved the conversation into an indignant harangue from her about her “rights”. After trying to reason with her I ended the conversation with a heartfelt “f*#@ you, you snooty dishonest old bitch”. Mrs PB was both horrified and amused at the same time. The couple checked out early the next day.

Bitch......

Thanks for the story. Not reading in to it, and also not being an attorney, the thing that makes me upset is how the prop owners were told by their lawyers that they had no case to properly deny the couple lodging. The simple fact that they showed up without first telling the owners that they were bringing their dog, to me, would equal immediate denial of service. I do not understand how the owners lawyer would tell them they do not have the right to deny service. One thing that strikes me is the cases that have to do with amusement park ride injuries to the shithead little kids that don’t follow the signs that say Persons Under This Fucking Bright Red Sign Aren’t Allowed On This Fucking Ride Cause You’re Too Fucking Short For This Fucking Ride And Because Of Your Heighth Discrepany You’ll Get Fucking Injured Or Fucking Worse.... I’m sure the majority of those cases have been awarded to the injured party none-the-less.

Comfort me a river you pussies, especially the bitch with the My Little Pony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Maryland issues wallet cards with plates or hang placards that list the disabled person’s name, disability code, DL number, placard or tag number and the date that the placard or tag expires. Never seen anyone ask for it but it provides a clear and verifiable way to show that the person using the tag/placard is entitled to it. 

Seems folks generally think that it’s the plates or placard that confers the right and not the disability. 

8 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Maryland issues wallet cards with plates or hang placards that list the disabled person’s name, disability code, DL number, placard or tag number and the date that the placard or tag expires. Never seen anyone ask for it but it provides a clear and verifiable way to show that the person using the tag/placard is entitled to it. 

Seems folks generally think that it’s the plates or placard that confers the right and not the disability. 

Locally, the police have been verifying that handicap placards are used appropriately. Apparently it’s not hard. They transmit the number on the placard and receive the name of the handicapped person that qualifies the use. Then simply ask the driver for ID. Even if the handicapped person is in the family....if they are not in the car.....ticket. I’m good with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Locally, the police have been verifying that handicap placards are used appropriately. Apparently it’s not hard. They transmit the number on the placard and receive the name of the handicapped person that qualifies the use. Then simply ask the driver for ID. Even if the handicapped person is in the family....if they are not in the car.....ticket. I’m good with that.

Im good with that as well. Just don’t see it enforced here. 

2 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Im good with that as well. Just don’t see it enforced here. 

They didn’t used to......I think it’s one of those periodic enforcement episodes. They’ve been pretty open about the effort. They must have had a number of complaints. Funny....my surgeon just gave me a signed application for a 6 month placard post surgery. Hopefully I won’t need it for more than a few weeks though. I could probably have gotten one months ago but it seems like it should be reserved for people who desperately need it...not just someone who limps because it hurts a bit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

it should be reserved for people who desperately need it...not just someone who limps because it hurts a bit. 

spot on PB .

gotta wonder how some folks sleep at night .

I'm considering an emotional support Komodo dragon.   Anybody have any leads?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ExOmo said:

I'm considering an emotional support Komodo dragon.   Anybody have any leads?

They don't like leads. Or collars. Or people. I'd say it's ideal for air travel.

What happens when a passenger with a dog allergy is on a plane with a comfort animal?

Who gets kicked off?

Who wins a big ass landmark lawsuit?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Over here, and I believe in the rest of Europe, the card has data on the side facing out through the windscreen, such as expiry date and a serial number.

The side facing in, (invisible from outside the vehicle), has the holder's name, signature and photo. That way, whether the holder is the person using it at any time can be verified. Unfortunately, that only works if the vehicle owner is there, and willing, to show the photo side to whoever asks for it.

And I have NEVER seen it policed, either on commercial premises or in public parking.

12 hours ago, Point Break said:

Sounds like a solid initiative. Good on them.

12 hours ago, Point Break said:

They didn’t used to......I think it’s one of those periodic enforcement episodes. They’ve been pretty open about the effort. They must have had a number of complaints. Funny....my surgeon just gave me a signed application for a 6 month placard post surgery. Hopefully I won’t need it for more than a few weeks though. I could probably have gotten one months ago but it seems like it should be reserved for people who desperately need it...not just someone who limps because it hurts a bit. 

Well done PB. The voice of reason and common sense. (Again)

14 hours ago, Mid said:

perhaps a tad further explanation should you be so kind ?

should you be able to threw an asshole deckhand off of a high speed ferry , why would you need a registered service dog. ?

Sure. First, just because I'm ADA doesn't mean that I'm in a wheel chair, or need crutches, or have a neck brace. There are lots of disabilities that are not quite so obvious.

The circumstances were that the dog and I were going from one island to another to catch an unanticipated flight to the states for a medical emergency situation. The dog was in his travel crate. The deckhand insisted that the crate be put on the ferry's fantail. I objected, because even at the pier, the exhaust fumes on the fan tail were making me dizzy. The Capt. agreed with me that taking the crate and dog to the top deck would be better. I would have preferred to be inside in the a/c cabin, but understood the objection (Lots of people are afraid of dogs, crated or not).

So we went up to the top deck. In carrying the crate up the steps, the deck hand and another turned the crate upside down, which dumped the water bowl out. So, I opened the crate door and with a leash on him escorted the dog out of the crate so I could refill the water bowl with the bottled water I had brought just in case.

The deck hand came rushing up and tried to grab the dog. "The dog must stay in the box!" he yelled. The dog was now under the bench behind my feet. I told the deck hand what I was doing, and told him the dog would be back in the crate in a minute. "If you don't put the dog in right now, I will throw it into the sea, and you'll never see it again!" At that point I stood up reached into my pocket (for my knife, that wasn't there because I was traveling) and said in a low quiet voice "... And that will be the last thing you ever do in your life..." He backed off, and stood over by the taff rail glowering until the capt. and the other deck hand came up to see what the problem was. By then the dog was back in his crate. I told the capt. that if the deck hand came near me, or the dog again that I might react badly. The capt. told me that the dog must stay in the crate. I said it would. He said if I caused any more trouble the police would be waiting for me at the dock. I told him that was fine, and if he wanted to turn around and head back to where we'd just come from to get to the police faster, that was fine with me, but that nobody was going to threaten my dog, or me and get away with it.

The capt. left, and the deck hand glowered at me for another 5 minutes before stalking down in to the A/C cabin.

The funniest part was that the poor dog apparently needed to pee while on the voyage, and when the deck hands did the same stupid thing of turning his crate upside down when they unloaded it from the upper deck to the ferry dock, the asshole deck hand got dog pee dumped all over him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Point Break said:

yeah, what cop is getting out of his car to dbl check... good luck with that...

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Sure. First, just because I'm ADA doesn't mean that I'm in a wheel chair, or need crutches, or have a neck brace. There are lots of disabilities that are not quite so obvious.

The circumstances were that the dog and I were going from one island to another to catch an unanticipated flight to the states for a medical emergency situation. The dog was in his travel crate. The deckhand insisted that the crate be put on the ferry's fantail. I objected, because even at the pier, the exhaust fumes on the fan tail were making me dizzy. The Capt. agreed with me that taking the crate and dog to the top deck would be better. I would have preferred to be inside in the a/c cabin, but understood the objection (Lots of people are afraid of dogs, crated or not).

So we went up to the top deck. In carrying the crate up the steps, the deck hand and another turned the crate upside down, which dumped the water bowl out. So, I opened the crate door and with a leash on him escorted the dog out of the crate so I could refill the water bowl with the bottled water I had brought just in case.

The deck hand came rushing up and tried to grab the dog. "The dog must stay in the box!" he yelled. The dog was now under the bench behind my feet. I told the deck hand what I was doing, and told him the dog would be back in the crate in a minute. "If you don't put the dog in right now, I will throw it into the sea, and you'll never see it again!" At that point I stood up reached into my pocket (for my knife, that wasn't there because I was traveling) and said in a low quiet voice "... And that will be the last thing you ever do in your life..." He backed off, and stood over by the taff rail glowering until the capt. and the other deck hand came up to see what the problem was. By then the dog was back in his crate. I told the capt. that if the deck hand came near me, or the dog again that I might react badly. The capt. told me that the dog must stay in the crate. I said it would. He said if I caused any more trouble the police would be waiting for me at the dock. I told him that was fine, and if he wanted to turn around and head back to where we'd just come from to get to the police faster, that was fine with me, but that nobody was going to threaten my dog, or me and get away with it.

The capt. left, and the deck hand glowered at me for another 5 minutes before stalking down in to the A/C cabin.

The funniest part was that the poor dog apparently needed to pee while on the voyage, and when the deck hands did the same stupid thing of turning his crate upside down when they unloaded it from the upper deck to the ferry dock, the asshole deck hand got dog pee dumped all over him.

Bravo!

Reminds me of Lord Dubbinator and the tales of moonlight strolls.

39 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yeah, what cop is getting out of his car to dbl check... good luck with that...

Well.....lately, lots.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that ALL pets, especially dogs, are emotional support animals. That's why we keep them.

This entire concept under discussion is bullshit. Guide dogs sure but "emotional support"? Give me a break.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that ALL pets, especially dogs, are emotional support animals. That's why we keep them.

This entire concept under discussion is bullshit. Guide dogs sure but "emotional support"? Give me a break.

Some times I get the feeling that I'm an emotional support person for my service dog.

You are - it's a symbiotic relationship and has been since we lived in caves.

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I’m not quite as hard core. I’ve seen PTSD vets with real issues completely change with a trained support dog once they have bonded. Seems really effective with a German Shepard and the dog is acutely attuned to the owner’s anxiety level and provides the right level of attention/response. I’ve seen a couple of those on flights and they, like guide dogs are extremely disciplined and well behaved. 

As the discussion brings out, the vast majority of folks traveling with “support animals” are scammers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Well done.  I don't think I would have been as patient as you, I would have threatened the deckhand while I had one of my very large hands around his throat.  Slowly applying more pressure.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I agree with IB, properly trained, genuine emotional support dogs can be of great value.  Dogs can sense human emotion better than people can.  It may well be an olfactory thing, but whatever it is, it's real.

Son in law of a close friend is USMC Infantry Gunny. Multiple deployments developed pretty severe PTSD. Real severe. We were all quite worried about him. Things didn't look good and sort of out of desperation they tried a support dog. Magic................I totally agree there are cases where it is a legitimate issue. I don't see any reason that cannot be accommodated with a certification and ID to limit the scammers though. I am not one to encourage huge amounts of government oversight...but there are issues that it is appropriate. 

Most government oversight, regulations etc. only exist because so many people are selfish assholes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Most government oversight, regulations etc. only exist because so many people are selfish assholes.

And the asshole in the Oval Office is the personification of that.  As he is doing his damndest to undo a lot of good work for all of the other selfish assholes.

I know, take it to PA, but it's true!!

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I enjoy being fined at the end of the year  because I don’t buy their health insurance. Yes that’s right, I’m against giving my money for a service that I don’t and won’t use. Yes if I break a leg, et al., I will be going to get it repaired, likely in the er, and I will get a bill for that service and will pay for it. I will not be mandated into the system. I mean look at the current score, there are over 60% of American citizens who are currently, clinically obese. Fatter than fat. Fatter than overweight. Fatter than unhealthy. Fatter than “Oh it’s cool, I like being curvy, and I was born like this and I like being fat.” More than half of westerners are obese. I’m sure they are really good people, people who buy lots of health care, and use it. People that sit in line for at least one hour a week waiting for their prescription/s to be filled. People who have regular check-ups at their neighborhood clinic. People who spend more time waiting for their medicine needs to be addressed and taken care of. Really good people. Obese, but still good Americans. Knowing this, I choose to laugh at western medicine because it’s not health care. Especially for the fact that it’s run and controlled by the corporate machine, the for-profit industry titan, the Pharmaceutical Industry. And that machine is always thinking about how to get the dollar out of my pocket, and into theirs. So no, I don’t buy insurance. Government regulation is one thing, but having there actually be two categories, service animals and comfort animals, is totally asinine bullshit. Your comfort animal is sitting in the seat next to you. So, Get you and your fucking pony off the plane and exit the terminal immediately. Pick up your bags outside the jetway thank you. ZZZZZZZZZ I said thank you.

4 minutes ago, scottyMO said:

I enjoy being fined at the end of the year  because I don’t buy their health insurance. Yes that’s right, I’m against giving my money for a service that I don’t and won’t use. Yes if I break a leg, et al., I will be going to get it repaired, likely in the er, and I will get a bill for that service and will pay for it. I will not be mandated into the system. I mean look at the current score, there are over 60% of American citizens who are currently, clinically obese. Fatter than fat. Fatter than overweight. Fatter than unhealthy. Fatter than “Oh it’s cool, I like being curvy, and I was born like this and I like being fat.” More than half of westerners are obese. I’m sure they are really good people, people who buy lots of health care, and use it. People that sit in line for at least one hour a week waiting for their prescription/s to be filled. People who have regular check-ups at their neighborhood clinic. People who spend more time waiting for their medicine needs to be addressed and taken care of. Really good people. Obese, but still good Americans. Knowing this, I choose to laugh at western medicine because it’s not health care. Especially for the fact that it’s run and controlled by the corporate machine, the for-profit industry titan, the Pharmaceutical Industry. And that machine is always thinking about how to get the dollar out of my pocket, and into theirs. So no, I don’t buy insurance. Government regulation is one thing, but having there actually be two categories, service animals and comfort animals, is totally asinine bullshit. Your comfort animal is sitting in the seat next to you. So, Get you and your fucking pony off the plane and exit the terminal immediately. Pick up your bags outside the jetway thank you. ZZZZZZZZZ I said thank you.

Well, now you don't have to anymore. 

18 minutes ago, scottyMO said:

Curious what your plan is if you get cancer............

Just now, Point Break said:

Die like a gentleman, of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Well, now you don't have to anymore. 

I’d enjoy that. Last year my tax return was approximately $615.00, of which I received a grand total back of ... $15.00. Thanks. Yeah one expression is government regulation, but what really is this government that we have in place right now? I mean really, why do we pay taxes? Why have private citizens been given the ability to funnel their money into political campaigns? Why are corporations people? Why does your boss, the ceo, make $3,000,000.00 a year

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I’m not planning on getting cancer, and if I do I hope it’s swift and fabulous. Do you know how fun, or better yet ...have you thought about how fun it’s going to be in deciding your hospice care, and when you will eventually be forced to pull the trigger and invite them in to your home? Have you thought about how much you do not want to die in a hospital? Or about how much this government expects to gain from your death, in taxes? Hospice care, jolly good it’s about time !!

East Asian medicine has been around for centuries. American doctors have been trained to scoff at this fact, and it shows.

10 minutes ago, scottyMO said:

I’d enjoy that. Last year my tax return was approximately $615.00, of which I received a grand total back of ... $15.00. Thanks. Yeah one expression is government regulation, but what really is this government that we have in place right now? I mean really, why do we pay taxes? Why have private citizens been given the ability to funnel their money into political campaigns? Why are corporations people? Why does your boss, the ceo, make $3,000,000.00 a year

You will enjoy that, thanks to Trump and the Republicans. And they are trying to get rid of more government regulation.

I see we have a new right wing nutter to ridicule.

Also you guys, I don’t live in fear of dying, I’m actually looking forward to it, because it’s the next great adventure, the universe is what I put my faith in, the life force if you will. I understand religion, being raised christian, and can’t help but laugh at the ideals that religion brings. In my view death is a normal transformation from this current plane of existence, and given the big bang ideology and reality, and the potential for many many many life sustaining planets out there in space, I have faith in reincarnation and your spirit being given the opportunity for many different physical existences, on different planets. Hasn’t anybody ever told you that you have an old soul? It means to me that you’ve lived different lives, and will continue doing so after this upcoming death.

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Dude I’ve been around for a while, and think it’s fun to get your labels wrapped around my neck. You can call me a nutter all you want while at the same time failing to realize that, you too were a single sperm inside your dads testicles, too ! And right wing, what is that? Being Christian while hating Jews and Muslims? Circumcising my son? Buying the same facial cream as Steve Bannon? Being forced to tell another dude about all the sins I done last week, all so I can survive the fires of Hell and be ascended to Heaven? Calling me a right wing nutter doesn’t mean anything, I can’t imagine what you perceive me to be by calling me that. Care to elaborate?

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If that's what it takes to feel good about yourself have at it. I really don't give a flying fuck what you think of me.