Sign in to follow this  
the_abandoned_brane

Emotional support peacock denied flight by United Airlines

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

There are new opportunities..............

27971840_569729243401758_4220108105686216792_n.jpg

https://apple.news/A5fMDkLI-SPC2A9WzexTr6A

“Wednesday’s Phoenix-to-Portland, Oregon, flight tweeted that a dog bit a girl as she approached it, and that she screamed and cried. The man, Todd Rice, did not immediately respond to a Twitter message seeking further comment.
Southwest said the dog’s teeth “scraped a child’s forehead” and paramedics checked the girl, who appeared to be 6 or 7 years old.”

I see at least two lawsuits coming.

Now it’s squirrels. Of course, it’s in Floriduh.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-removed-plane-boarding-emotional-support-squirrel/story?id=58400567

Can't we just get back to washing a Valium down with a shot of Jack, passing out and waking up in a different city?  Why do they have to disrupt everybody else’s lives?  Maybe they should just pump nitrous oxide into the cabin of the planes.

• Like 1

if you are afraid to fly take the bus. There was a comedian who said he never complained about flying because he has taken the bus

Or as my grandfather used to say" if you have a little trouble, sty at home. Don't give it to everyone else."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, burndoc said:

if you are afraid to fly take the bus. There was a comedian who said he never complained about flying because he has taken the bus

Or as my grandfather used to say" if you have a little trouble, sty at home. Don't give it to everyone else."

Sounds like your grandfather was a wise man!

My mother worked for a family business.  One of the adult offspring was schizophrenic.  She was very well behaved, as long as she had a 8” x 10” framed photo of Elvis Presley in her purse at all times.  

30 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

I want to know what emotional support the squirrel gets! Poor sod.

None, he's nuts.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

I want to know what emotional support the squirrel gets! Poor sod.

Counselling from our own Point Break???

1 hour ago, Black Sox said:

Counselling from our own Point Break???

I would be more than happy to counsel the bushy tailed rat.

I administer hot lead therapy to squirrels. They always look sooooooo relaxed at the end of the session......

Why don't the airlines just demand a medical certificate along with the support critter?

8 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

What would it say - this squirrel has been found to be slightly overweight but his blood pressure is good?

:P

you know what I mean :)  so, why?

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Why don't the airlines just demand a medical certificate along with the support critter?

Some are starting to do that. I have noticed fewer animals on SW recently. 

19 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

What would it say - this squirrel has been found to be slightly overweight but his blood pressure is good?

:P

ba-bump-bump

One of the problems with the way this plays out is that these people need some attention and kindness; and they've been mis-programmed to think that being a flaming retardo PITA is the way to get attention from their fellow human beings. Yes they are pathetic. So show them some sympathy.

Mrs Steam and I were going into a museum last year and were held up at the door by a very fat and neurotic woman with a toy poodle in a baby stroller, insisting she had the right to go anywhere with her smelly whining dog. The guards just said, "nope, we don't even let seeing eye dogs in. It's an art museum." They were professional and not very sympathetic. I tend to mind my own business, as tempting as it is to add insult to injury when you can see something like this where it's so richly deserved...... my sympathy was for the dog. Mrs Steam exchanged some nice words with the woman and suggested a walk in the nearby park, which we later saw the woman doing. Probably the best outing the dog ever got.

All pets are "support animals." Half-crazy self-centered people who have been over-abused by the system, and almost certainly by their families too, don't need to inflict emotional damage on a helpless animal. Certainly they need support and sympathy, which I am willing to give some small amount of as long as I don't have to put up with too much of their bullshit (maybe an hour a week). Other folks with higher thresholds would be better at this.

-DSK

47 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:
2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Some are starting to do that. I have noticed fewer animals on SW recently. 

There are a lot of "help organizations" that will be glad to hand you a certificate for whatever you want. One here recently got shut down for handing out handicapped tags so people can park in handicapped-reserved spots.

Good idea but a real solution, unfortunately

-DSK

There are real trained support animals that should be allowed to go with their owners. They are 99.9% of the time needed by the person and very well behaved.

Then there are the DIY "I bought this vest from eBay let my dog in the bar" operations that are 100% bullshit.

5 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

There are real trained support animals that should be allowed to go with their owners. They are 99.9% of the time needed by the person and very well behaved.

Then there are the DIY "I bought this vest from eBay let my dog in the bar" operations that are 100% bullshit.

90% of the time, I wouldn’t mind the dog being at the bar if the fucking owner stayed home!

• Like 2

The last few years there has been a huge upsurge in the number of “service animals” I see in restaurants, grocery stores, hotel etc. It’s exceedingly clear the vast majority of there are horseshit and the owners are pretending a “need” in order to have fluffy little Feefee with them. If you know anything of the required training and behaviors typical of real service animals it’s not hard to spot. It’s a shame because I don’t know anyone who does not support the notion that it fine for persons really in need.......for the “posers” to trade on that legitimate need for their convienance is unconscionable. The notion of “emotional support” has opened a Pandora’s box such that anyone who wants can simply say “I feel better when feefee is near” and that’s the magic ticket. Our last experiance was at a very nice B&B. A couple showed up with her emotional support rat dog. It ran all over the place, jumped on the furniture and took a plate of appetizers and she left it in the room barking all day while they were out wine tasting. I objected to the proprietor who said their attorney had advised them they could not decline without running afoul of the very broadly worded laws. 

‘It’s bullshit.

13 hours ago, Point Break said:

I objected to the proprietor who said their attorney had advised them they could not decline without running afoul of the very broadly worded laws. 

This is why support animals have become a big bone of contention between landlords and tenants.

You can't apply a "no pets" policy to a blind person's dog, so... what else was in that box?

I just allow pets and require renters insurance. I get good people and avoid those who are going to lie to the landlord about their pets.

22 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Sure. I was recently helping sort out some prison program dogs that were being vetted for diabetes support.

That's not even remotely the same thing as putting one's untrained (I mean not even basic stuff) toy poodle in a baby carriage and claiming it's an "emotional support animal" because one is a fat slobby neurotic wreck of a human being. As for having an "emotional support iguana" or whatever..... that's ridiculous on the face of it. The people obviously need help but inflicting their problem on the rest of us is not the answer.

3 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

This is why support animals have become a big bone of contention between landlords and tenants.

You can't apply a "no pets" policy to a blind person's dog, so... what else was in that box?

I just allow pets and require renters insurance. I get good people and avoid those who are going to lie to the landlord about their pets.

Well, it kind of gets back to Rule 1..... "don't be an asshole." If most people followed Rule 1, we would not need other rules. It's an asshole thing to do, to let your pet ruin somebody else's property.

-DSK

On 10/12/2018 at 11:11 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Well, it kind of gets back to Rule 1..... "don't be an asshole." If most people followed Rule 1, we would not need other rules. It's an asshole thing to do, to let your pet ruin somebody else's property.

-DSK

Always possible for an unattended pet/support animal to wander off and get lost, if not meet with a fatal accident. Shit happens.

FKT

• Like 1

There's a local real estate blog that includes a small cast of characters who comment endlessly on every post, completely without value. Don't these people have jobs? However, there are a few folks who do have something useful to say. One is a small real estate developer who manages his own properties. This is his commentary on renting to people with "service animals":

"These days nobody has a dog. Nobody has a cat. Or a hamster or a snake. But everybody has an emotional support animal (ESA) that is supposed to NOT count as a pet. So no extra deposit or fee or restriction of any kind. And they want to tell you that it is your absolute responsibility under the law to make a “reasonable accomodation” for their support animal. I had four young women who said they each had an emotional support animal — each a large 40+ lb. dog. When you look into this, you find that one woman in California who has a degree in psychiatric nursing is supplying most of the ESA certificates. What an amazing business. She interviews you over the phone for 10 minutes, you pay her $100 by credit card and you get the certificate by email a few minutes later. Anyone who has occasional stress, depression, or 20 other symptoms qualifies. Quite the scam. I came up with ways of defeating this, but I am not 100% sure they are legal.

I said that because of rampant ESA fraud, I would require a certificate from a local board-certified psychiatrist, psychologist or psychiatric counselor. Must be board-certified in Washington State. I also said I would want a certificate testifying to a continuing care obligation. And finally, I said I would expect that since they have this disability, I would expect that they would routinely take the ESA with them to work and other social functions. Most people at this point said, ok, why don’t we just consider this a pet and asked how much extra per month and how much extra for the deposit."

Well fucking done.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 6:42 AM, Shortforbob said:

because you can buy anything on the internet...    or the airlines can simply say, no animals in the passenger compartment,  only exception , military service dogs, they earned the right to fly up top..         don't like it, go find another way to travel..    can't sue, rule applies to everyone..

On 10/11/2018 at 8:50 AM, Steam Flyer said:

ba-bump-bump

One of the problems with the way this plays out is that these people need some attention and kindness; and they've been mis-programmed to think that being a flaming retardo PITA is the way to get attention from their fellow human beings. Yes they are pathetic. So show them some sympathy.

Mrs Steam and I were going into a museum last year and were held up at the door by a very fat and neurotic woman with a toy poodle in a baby stroller, insisting she had the right to go anywhere with her smelly whining dog. The guards just said, "nope, we don't even let seeing eye dogs in. It's an art museum." They were professional and not very sympathetic. I tend to mind my own business, as tempting as it is to add insult to injury when you can see something like this where it's so richly deserved...... my sympathy was for the dog. Mrs Steam exchanged some nice words with the woman and suggested a walk in the nearby park, which we later saw the woman doing. Probably the best outing the dog ever got.

All pets are "support animals." Half-crazy self-centered people who have been over-abused by the system, and almost certainly by their families too, don't need to inflict emotional damage on a helpless animal. Certainly they need support and sympathy, which I am willing to give some small amount of as long as I don't have to put up with too much of their bullshit (maybe an hour a week). Other folks with higher thresholds would be better at this.

-DSK

now that is some funny shit right there... think about it..  blind person is a museum, can't see the art, can't touch it..   

in dallas, they finally passed a law which restricted people bringing in dogs anywhere...    it was getting bad, local small growler bar, you'd have to step over three - five dogs to get to the bar..   one guy would always have his two little shits sitting in a bed taking up a bar seat.   (there's only 6 in the place)

now if I can only get the council to restrict bringing kids into the place... it's like a kindergarden in there sometimes..

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

because you can buy anything on the internet...    or the airlines can simply say, no animals in the passenger compartment,  only exception , military service dogs, they earned the right to fly up top..         don't like it, go find another way to travel..    can't sue, rule applies to everyone..

one other exception,  service dogs for the blind..   

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

...    ...

now if I can only get the council to restrict bringing kids into the place... it's like a kindergarden in there sometimes..

Why restrict kids? I love small children. They're delicious if you cook 'em just right

-DSK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why restrict kids? I love small children. They're delicious if you cook 'em just right

-DSK

unfortunately they have no cooking facilities..

i wonder why parents think they can drag their kids to an adult establishment...   maybe I should just start cussing alot.. if they complain..I'll tell them aspergers syndrom and tell them their kids will just have to learn new words..   I'll think I'll start with

"mommy's a whore"   

daddy will never get to bring the kids back..

to be fair, this place is about the size of a large master bedroom..  

God for bid you make _allegedly disabled persons name_ leave the mutt in the car with the windows cracked.  I really don't understand the vigilantes that police that shit.  Growing up we had the dogs with us all the time.  crack the windows, open the sun roof and go get your milk at the grocery store.  U do that now days and you get a smashed window.  A couple years ago I had the dog in the car, sunroof totally open.  Woman left a nasty note about windows being up and that she would smash em if she saw it again..  I soooooo wanted to find the bitch and point out that the sunroof was open and I was just picking up dinner at Boston market.  

:angry:

End rant...  

41 minutes ago, shaggy said:

God for bid you make _allegedly disabled persons name_ leave the mutt in the car with the windows cracked.  I really don't understand the vigilantes that police that shit.  Growing up we had the dogs with us all the time.  crack the windows, open the sun roof and go get your milk at the grocery store.  U do that now days and you get a smashed window.  A couple years ago I had the dog in the car, sunroof totally open.  Woman left a nasty note about windows being up and that she would smash em if she saw it again..  I soooooo wanted to find the bitch and point out that the sunroof was open and I was just picking up dinner at Boston market.  

:angry:

End rant...  

dog-note-1.jpg