Sign in to follow this  
billy backstay

FP - DEAD WEIGHT - Hatin' on RC44's??

What's with the Ed's attitude against these boats?  Sure, they are a bit long in the tooth, and not terribly fast, but look a lot more fun that the 4kt lead mines that most of us race in PHRF?

I like the RC44 a lot but agree with the assessment that the video does not make the RC 44 look good.

watched the video again to be sure -  noted the gal helming at :18 and the very well laid out course but still don't say "what a great video!" Maybe it's the sort of dumb subtitles or some of the still shots but really think it does not show the boat at it's best.

A group of owners bought into a concept that produces  close racing with a mixed format at venues they choose. Each has chosen a to compete at a level that mixes a lot of pros and the boat is just a vehicle. They may not be the coolest nor the fastest, but they are what the owners  have decided is fun. 

The concept of Owners getting together to organize their own racing is what's so missing in the sport today. More owners of like boats in an area should get together and organize their own classes and then decide on events to do as a group. There are plenty of examples of success and failure at this,  both for OD classes and development / handicap classes. In the end it all comes down to having a a firm grasp of what level of competition makes the group comfortable and keeps them from drifting away.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A3A said:

A group of owners bought into a concept that produces  close racing with a mixed format at venues they choose. Each has chosen a to compete at a level that mixes a lot of pros and the boat is just a vehicle. They may not be the coolest nor the fastest, but they are what the owners  have decided is fun. 

The concept of Owners getting together to organize their own racing is what's so missing in the sport today. More owners of like boats in an area should get together and organize their own classes and then decide on events to do as a group. There are plenty of examples of success and failure at this,  both for OD classes and development / handicap classes. In the end it all comes down to having a a firm grasp of what level of competition makes the group comfortable and keeps them from drifting away.  

Good summation, and why I think the hating is undeserved.  But it is the Ed, so I guess I kind of get it!! LOL!