mgs

A case against colored lines?

12 minutes ago, RobG said:

Yes, we cleat halyards and centreboard lifter too, but that doesn't stop people un–cleating them… it can happen pretty quickly. When asked to drop the headsail (bright blue halyard), I've had people uncleat the (bright red) main halyard and be about to release the (clearly labelled) main jammer despite screams to stop before someone physically interrupted their actions.

Sheets are usually all white and passed hand–to–hand, they're a lot easier to distinguish and the consequences of releasing the wrong one are less dire. But we also use coloured sheets from time to time, depends on the sail, what we're doing and what's left in the locker. ;-)

Have you tried to tie the halyard really tight around the jammer? So that it can't be dropped very easily (unlike a cleat, which is obviously a quick release)? (main halyard seldom needs to be released in a fucking hurry, so it's safe to do it). This kind of keeps the main halyard out of the equation for anything happening fast, and you'll have more time to discover something bad about to happen....

I make a pretty big knot with it, and it can be a little annoying if the wind keeps changing and the main halyard constantly needs to be adjusted...but since I know what I'm doing, I also sometimes skip the knot ;) Doing the knot was learned by matchracing, when sails come up and down really fast and in a DS37 the boom is also dropped with the main halyard, so people really can get hurt if it's unintentionally dropped. Personally saw a girl breaking a tiny bone in her back from this kind of mistake :(

All in all this shows how pit is actually not the best position for a newbie - like many seems to think.

10 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

(main halyard seldom needs to be released in a fucking hurry, so it's safe to do it).

Well, we broke our rudder just off a lee shore...

...and the main halyard needed to come down REALLY FAST!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

Well, we broke our rudder just off a lee shore...

...and the main halyard needed to come down REALLY FAST!

If you are already down a rudder you could Samurai douse any stubborn halyard and it all gets bundled into the same claim.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Anybody want to suggest to the Volvo crews they should use all white halyards and sheets etc?:P

13 minutes ago, mad said:

Anybody want to suggest to the Volvo crews they should use all white halyards and sheets etc?:P

If they have at least two black halyards they are allowed more than the other boats with only white halyards. It is to encourage diversity apparently.

• Like 3

On 6.2.2018 at 2:15 AM, Svanen said:

No lines at all would look even cleaner 

Wally Yachts formed a whole business model out of that idea. 

Early 70's my family started racing lightnings.

My dad knew how to sail and my two older sisters (still barely teens) were the crew.  Colored lines had just come out, and he put them on the boat.

Got laughed at by the fleet, and we were dead last that first summer.

Second summer - 3rd in fleet,

Then won something like 7 years in a row and could swap in bodies as wanted into the middle seat on the boat and still win. Funny how they all got colored lines on their boats.

Make all your lines white - it is a good look for you, 

through binoculars

looking aft.

• Like 2