ancientseawolf

How to Dock A Big Boat

just think of the amusement value when it foks up .

24 minutes ago, Mid said:

just think of the amusement value when it foks up when somebody actually installs it on their boat and tries to use it.

I fixed that for you.

Just think how many basic to advanced seamanship/liscensing courses a person could take or how many competent skippers you could hire for what a system like that would cost. 

But vaporware is free anyway!   We have the technology, it would be an awful shame not to use it.  I'll bet these same guys that developed this project are now furiously working on hull airbags to prevent damage when running aground!

I guess this is what happens when you have an entire generation of people that can't drive a car with a stick shift and need all manner of radars and video screens just to park a car without hitting anything.  Wouldn't it just be easier to never leave the house?

Seems like an appropriate time to repost this.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I guess this is what happens when you have an entire generation of people that can't drive a car with a stick shift and need all manner of radars and video screens just to park a car without hitting anything.  Wouldn't it just be easier to never leave the house?

Stick shift is now an anti-theft device.

• Like 2

I

5 hours ago, ancientseawolf said:

Needs no comment

That new Sims 4 game is great.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ancientseawolf said:

Needs no comment

I hope they have an adapter that will clamp on to bull rails when they visit the PNW and Alaska...maybe you can stern tie with those puppies...

Hell, in the Chesapeake, many places don't have floating docks. What about side ties? 

That's an overly complicated system that can't be used in a lot of places.

For some reason, the cruise ships around here (faux sternwheelers) have pretty much stopped even using the dock.  They just nudge up the the bank, drop their own gangway, and the thrusters hold them in place all day.  Kind of a pain when you're trying to SUP around behind one of them  :angry:

Like this:  The actual dock is behind that guy's right shoulder.

Brian_queen_west600.jpg

3 hours ago, slap said:

Stick shift is now an anti-theft device.

Over here, automatics are rare.  Not to make an inadvertent Polish joke, but I occasionally hear the question, "You can drive an automatic, right?"

Yeah, it all looks pretty fail-safe and foolproof to me.

But sensor assisted docking is just around the corner.

cant wait till we all have 6 giant hydraulic rams taking up space in the accommodation. The master stateroom is gunna have a nice place to hang laundry.

For the win-  What kind of sailboat did Judge Smails have in that movie?

12 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

You mean the Flying Wasp? 

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah. OMFG, I'd totally forgot the name. We just don't make movies like that anymore.

The next step would be drone yacht technology. Circumnavigate your boat from your living room couch, all the view on your QHD flatscreen and your smartphone vibrate when there be some wales to see... No berth, water, food, fridges, amenities means far better autonomy too!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yigael said:

The next step would be drone yacht technology. Circumnavigate your boat from your living room couch, all the view on your QHD flatscreen and your smartphone vibrate when there be some wales to see... No berth, water, food, fridges, amenities means far better autonomy too!  

That's a plan.

Especially for one who believes "roughing it" is bad room service.......

I'll just wait for the "Tractor Beam" technology to advance.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Yeah. OMFG, I'd totally forgot the name. We just don't make movies like that anymore.

True.  Like the boat, pretty and well proportioned.  I don't know exactly the type but suspect it's some variant on a Sparkman Stephens design, made by some New England builder.  Just has that vibe.  Which is why they had Al Czervik's boat destroy it. 

"Hey!  You scratched my anchor!" 

3 hours ago, hobot said:

I'll just wait for the "Tractor Beam" technology to advance.

By that time I think we should have transporter technology.  Beam me up Scotty.  

On 2/5/2018 at 7:06 AM, ancientseawolf said:

Needs no comment

Isn't this what the crew is for?

14 hours ago, IStream said:

Isn't this what the crew is for?

It's so you can fire your crew.

The whole purpose of technology, is to eliminate labor costs and increase shareholder value.

Well, there's still all the other things the crew do when not docking ("driving", cooking, cleaning, servicing the equipment, servicing the owner, etc. etc.)

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Well, there's still all the other things the crew do when not docking ("driving", cooking, cleaning, servicing the equipment, servicing the owner, etc. etc.)

Plus drinking the owner's beer, eating the owner's food, trashing the owner's equipment, and servicing the owner's spouse+offspring ... and if the crew are competent, their skills may highlight the owner's lack thereof

Well obviously the less you spend on docking, driving, cooking, cleaning and servicing the equipment, the more you can spend on servicing the owner...

On 2/6/2018 at 9:19 AM, Lex Teredo said:

You mean the Flying Wasp? 

hqdefault.jpg

It's easy to grin when your ship has come in and you've got he stock market beat. But the man who's worthwhile is a man who can smile when his shorts are to tight in the seat.

• Like 1