HalyardsHigh

University of Colorado Sailing Team

Recommended Posts

For all the Colorado sailors out there (few and far between, I know) yall may be interested to know that a group of students has started up a sailing team at CU Boulder. We're a really new organization and dont get much help from the university so we're looking for community support to help us raise money and spread awareness for our team.

 

Links below are for our facebook page, website, and fundraising campaign. 

https://www.facebook.com/cubouldersailing/

http://www.cusailingteam.com/

https://campaigns.communityfunded.com/projects/cusailing/get-cu-sailing-safety-boating/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as an alum, I guess I have to chip in - really enjoyed my years in the People's Republic of Boulder. 

If you pass by the Sweetwater Seas (Western Lake Erie), stop by for a sail . . 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Good luck guys and gals. Remember to hide your pot when you travel to out of state regattas.

I woudente tacke it outte of ststte.                                     BTM                         :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at CU Boulder from 1993 to 2000. The only sailing I did there was when Sushi Zanmai threw parties at the Boulder Reservoir and I would rent a sailboard for a couple of hours and sail to some house music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See if you can post your info on the CU alum page   https://www.colorado.edu/alumni/home

There is some big $ there . 

And look into the Vets For Peace Golden Rule Project 

point being that you have been given many gifts, and you need to do something to make the world a better place . . 

that is the most important lesson you can learn at CU

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome to hear that weare starting a club finally. As an alum from 2008 I always wished we had a team. Boulder res is a tough sailing venue though. It seems like it is either dead calm or howling wind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Good on you guys.  I hope this one stics as it has bee attempted many times before.  Biggest 2 things are travel and h20.  Travel requires $$ and our snow-pack is awful this year so many resuivuars  may not have h20 after july.  Might I suggest you enlist the support of the Denver sailing association (denversailing.org), Community sailing (communitysailing.org), and the Sailing Association of Intermountain Lakes (rmsail.org).  I know USAFA had a team a couple years ago and showed up to a couple regattas.  CSU tried but failed as Horsetooth sucks for wind and funding was crazy difficult in a state that barely knows that sailing exists.  If anything, I was the S20 fleet captain for a while and do know that everyone is always looking for crew (I need at least 1 body) so feel free to pm me (gonna have a districts somewhere this year.)  Also, if you didn't know,  we have a circuit of regattas that hits 5 lakes across the state from April through October.  Cherry Creek, Chatfield, Carter, Aspen and DIllon(sometimes Alcova).  Fleets range from S20's (18 live in Co and about 10 race regularly, wed nights at Cherry Creek draws +/- 10ish, Thursday might get more but no spin.).  Carter lake has a couple, 5?? that race weekends and a pretty robust PHRF fleet( I think every other weekend they have 2 days club racing) .  Lightnings, big fleet, 10 ish race regularly and travel well, (based out of Cherry creek).    Ensigns and stars in Dillon,  Stars in Aspen, Lasers and I think there is a semi robust Portsmouth fleet as well as a pretty decent PHRF fleet at all 5.  Let me know if you need any info on anything.  I pretty much know all the usual suspects so can put you in touch with the powers that be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2018 at 11:09 AM, AJ Oliver said:

Well, as an alum, I guess I have to chip in - really enjoyed my years in the People's Republic of Boulder. 

If you pass by the Sweetwater Seas (Western Lake Erie), stop by for a sail . . 

 

I really appreciate it! Next time you're in Colorado be sure to give us a call and we'll show you first hand what we have going on! 

7 hours ago, Mizzmo said:

Awesome to hear that weare starting a club finally. As an alum from 2008 I always wished we had a team. Boulder res is a tough sailing venue though. It seems like it is either dead calm or howling wind. 

We've been on union res recently since they do a couple regular races each week. Unfortunately it's more of the dead calm than howling wind but beggars can't be choosers I guess

7 hours ago, shaggy said:

Well, Good on you guys.  I hope this one stics as it has bee attempted many times before.  Biggest 2 things are travel and h20.  Travel requires $$ and our snow-pack is awful this year so many resuivuars  may not have h20 after july.  Might I suggest you enlist the support of the Denver sailing association (denversailing.org), Community sailing (communitysailing.org), and the Sailing Association of Intermountain Lakes (rmsail.org).  I know USAFA had a team a couple years ago and showed up to a couple regattas.  CSU tried but failed as Horsetooth sucks for wind and funding was crazy difficult in a state that barely knows that sailing exists.  If anything, I was the S20 fleet captain for a while and do know that everyone is always looking for crew (I need at least 1 body) so feel free to pm me (gonna have a districts somewhere this year.)  Also, if you didn't know,  we have a circuit of regattas that hits 5 lakes across the state from April through October.  Cherry Creek, Chatfield, Carter, Aspen and DIllon(sometimes Alcova).  Fleets range from S20's (18 live in Co and about 10 race regularly, wed nights at Cherry Creek draws +/- 10ish, Thursday might get more but no spin.).  Carter lake has a couple, 5?? that race weekends and a pretty robust PHRF fleet( I think every other weekend they have 2 days club racing) .  Lightnings, big fleet, 10 ish race regularly and travel well, (based out of Cherry creek).    Ensigns and stars in Dillon,  Stars in Aspen, Lasers and I think there is a semi robust Portsmouth fleet as well as a pretty decent PHRF fleet at all 5.  Let me know if you need any info on anything.  I pretty much know all the usual suspects so can put you in touch with the powers that be.  

I've been pretty active on Dillon the past couple years trimming in the J/24 fleet and we've built up a good relationship with Brandon Kass of community sailing as well as union sailing club up in Longmont. I'll definitely reach out to those other guys and see what kind of support I can stir up! Is there a crew forum or anything for S20's? A lot of people on the team are looking for opportunities 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mizzmo said:

Awesome to hear that weare starting a club finally. As an alum from 2008 I always wished we had a team.

It's difficult to tell from the website whether it is a recreational club, a collegiate team, or some sort of hybrid.

They might want to clean up that confusion: clarity would help with the fundraising campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Svanen said:

It's difficult to tell from the website whether it is a recreational club, a collegiate team, or some sort of hybrid.

They might want to clean up that confusion: clarity would help with the fundraising campaign.

Good to know... We're a hybrid right now, we're trying to generate interest in sailing in general as well as make a name for ourselves as a collegiate racing program. Mainly due to weird school rules and bs red tape we cant do any sort of tryouts or mandatory practice days so we have to make it more inclusive.

Hopefully soon we can separate into 2 separate organizations to handle both classes of sailors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HalyardsHigh said:

Good to know... We're a hybrid right now, we're trying to generate interest in sailing in general as well as make a name for ourselves as a collegiate racing program. Mainly due to weird school rules and bs red tape we cant do any sort of tryouts or mandatory practice days so we have to make it more inclusive.

Hopefully soon we can separate into 2 separate organizations to handle both classes of sailors.

PM me your details, I will hook ya up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2018 at 1:05 PM, Rum Runner said:

Good luck guys and gals. Remember to hide your pot when you travel to out of state regattas.

girlfriend-went-on-a-trip-to-colorado-an

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to sound overly critical, by setting up a communityfunded page (or gofundme, etc) is NOT a fundraising campaign...as shown by your lackluster results.  I might suggest a more active fundraising campaign approach....something where people get to actually meet with the team, learn about them, interact with them etc, to create a base of interest and support.  The alumni org is a good suggestion, and those guys are professional fundraisers and can teach you a lot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now