Hitchhiker

Island’s Race Weather, discuss.

Recommended Posts

far out man !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be little or no rain according to the tea leaves. Potentially dry to very dry conditions...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DryArmour said:

There will be little or no rain according to the tea leaves. Potentially dry to very dry conditions...

bummer I can only give that 1 like :rolleyes:B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy the difference between the GFS and ECMWF models for the race are pretty far apart. It will be interesting to see how they develop between now and race day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Boy the difference between the GFS and ECMWF models for the race are pretty far apart. It will be interesting to see how they develop between now and race day.

ALL** of the models are struggling outside of 96 hours right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone?  Unfortunately not doing this one as my ride fell through a few weeks ago.  Wondering what I am going to be missing.  We have been talking about it for 2 weeks but now the week of and everybody is quiet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not epic, but pretty consistent so far.  Not as cold as last year either. Basic GFS model.

I've been running one or two per day and there is still a bit of a yoyo effect in run times, but the time margins are getting smaller!

islands.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah looks a little lighter in the middle then I would expect.  I actually think you will see more then that 10 knots not much.  When I see that finish time and wind all I see is a giant park up in the morning as it is always lighter than forecast coming into Point Loma. Hope there is a little more pressure in the afternoon then forecast for you guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There may be a lot of pockets of transitional zone voids. Stay out of those if possible which means local knowledge and your weather guesser will be critical. Good luck to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JUST SHOOT ME "if I were out there now"

http://yb.tl/islandsrace2018

3 & 4-KSB's  following behind

If you TRI you can do MUCH better !!!

 

 

 

JSM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, in the Great Green North, The Shaw Island Winter Classic race around Shaw Island in the San Juans, saw steady upper 20's wind speed with plenty of excursions into the mid-30's and above. I have one report of 40+ knots WS. According to the R/C, no spinnakers were set but I've seen photos that show otherwise. Oh yeah... the high today was mid-40's F then factor in some wind chill. The 16 or so km was completed in 2:26 on the class-winning SC27 Wild Rumpus.

wild_rumpus_shaw_island_2018.thumb.jpg.f460bff0327b86cf41bff2b1f68905d3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light race. Just under 23 hours. First in class and 3rd overall.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Light race. Just under 23 hours. First in class and 3rd overall.

 

 

Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prospector was very fast. The West end of Catalina was a big restart. Lucky Duck did a great job getting through there. Once away from the island we saw 11 knots TWS most of the way to the East end of San Clemente. Then we had another interesting transition.  The exclusion zone forced those of us trying to sail shortest distance into VMG running in diminishing pressure. We jibed away and sailed hotter angles to get through the worst of it. It looked ugly at first. But, it paid in the end. After that it was 4 to 6 knots kind of cycling around from NW to E until the morning transition back the NW. 

Pyewacket was 1st overall. Stark Raving Mad 2nd and Horizon 3rd.

Check out the results and link to the tracker at islandsrace.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Prospector was very fast. The West end of Catalina was a big restart. Lucky Duck did a great job getting through there. Once away from the island we saw 11 knots TWS most of the way to the East end of San Clemente. Then we had another interesting transition.  The exclusion zone forced those of us trying to sail shortest distance into VMG running in diminishing pressure. We jibed away and sailed hotter angles to get through the worst of it. It looked ugly at first. But, it paid in the end. After that it was 4 to 6 knots kind of cycling around from NW to E until the morning transition back the NW. 

Pyewacket was 1st overall. Stark Raving Mad 2nd and Horizon 3rd.

Check out the results and link to the tracker at islandsrace.com

How far out from each Island did you (& others) stay while passing them ?

Light, Long races don't set records BUT a Test is a Test and that's what each race regardless of conditions is all about

Congratulations !

Best thing Everyone OK !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West end of Catalina on the North side right up to the shore. But, once we cleared the end of the island we saw Pyewacket, OEX Medicine Man and Run Away had sailed about a half past the West end on Starboard and then tacked to port utimately sailing into the hole.  Mirage and Lucky Duck continued on Starboard far another 1/4 to 1/2 mile and then tacked over to port. We did the same a few hundred yards behind. Lucky Duck and Horizon sailed high and stayed in breeze.  Mirage sailed a bit low and needed to work their way back out of the lighter air. We could see Prospector 7 miles ahead at that point. The ORR 1 guys eventually passed us between Catalina and San Clemente.  We cleared the West end pretty close to the exclusion zone  and only cracked off a couple degrees. So, we really only sailed a few extra miles at the East end working the transitions and the exclusion zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

JUST SHOOT ME "if I were out there now"

http://yb.tl/islandsrace2018

3 & 4-KSB's  following behind

If you TRI you can do MUCH better !!!

 

 

 

JSM.png

Well they could have served Lobster and Caviar for the few in port for the "After" Party  considering it was 1 hour after the screen grab quoted above :blink:

Tom how many were in attendance ?

I guess if the Podium is Filled then awards can be handed out

Had All boats to receive an Award finished yet ??

 

AWARDS CEREMONY AT SDYC: Saturday February 17th, 2:00 PM

Carving Station with Surfin’ Chef’s Famous Tri Tip with Rolls & Sauces
Veggies Pasta Salad
House Chips & Ranch

Hosted Draft Beer (Red Trolley & Ballast Point Pale Ale)
Wine, Spirits and Soft Drinks available for purchase

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were several crews for the awards. The awards were scheduled for 3:00. It was closer to 4:00 before they were held. I'd have to imagine there were around a dozen teams at the awards. Loick Peron (sp?)  was even there with the Mighty Merlot  boys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

There were several crews for the awards. The awards were scheduled for 3:00. It was closer to 4:00 before they were held. I'd have to imagine there were around a dozen teams at the awards. Loick Peron (sp?)  was even there with the Mighty Merlot  boys.

I can see where it is hard to plan

Make it Sunday and you have Locals and represenitives of Winning Boats

But on such a long race I would think 6pm for the party would be optimistic.

No it's Not about the Party 

you can say

It is Good for the Sport when not everyone gets a partisapation trophy

It Truly is Best - when Everyone gets to mingle with Those who Rocked, perhaps getting sum insight

seeing where they are on the ladder and sharing with others how it went for them

Making the Party/Race All about 1st, 2nd & 3rd place boats is Not Good as it's just a notch away from it being All About "The Record"

and that's when boats Bail if predictions are not favorable to Everyone Breaking the Record

A Race should be about "The Sailing" and inclusion of Everyone Participating 

well as I see it anyway B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woody,

           It's really tough for race organizers to find the best time to schedule awards. So, they/We do it when the bulk of the fleet have just finished with a slow forecast. The first boats to have finished were in over 12 hours before trophies. ORR1 boats finished primarily around 8 hours before. We were 4 hours before. There were crews from boats that didn't podium that stayed. But, even half our crew made tracks before hand, to keep wives and girl friends happy. I think the Islands organizers did a great job with a difficult task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

I can see where it is hard to plan

 

 

 

 

7 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Woody,

           It's really tough for race organizers to find the best time to schedule awards.

 

we are in agreement !!

none the less

Worse Example of my point otherwise  = N2E

when they fragremented the Pre Race Mixer that brought everyone together fir perhaps the Only time if the race

they are working on correcting that so I hear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now