RumLine

"Send it" for Jim Hahn

Our sailing community is full of vibrant characters, and Jim Hahn is certainly one of them.  Some of you may know Jim as the wildly energetic Ronstan rep at boatshows or the Defender Warehouse sale, some may know him as the guy on the water shouting greetings and dirty jokes across to other boats between races, or maybe you know him as the maniac firing a signal cannon off the Coast Guard Station beach at Block Island Race Week as the parade of boats goes by...  However you know Jim, I ask that you please send positive energy as he and his family face the greatest challenge of their lives.

Our friend Jim Hahn was doing what he loved on Saturday, February 3, skiing in Vermont, when he had a catastrophic accident that has left him paralyzed from the waist down. Ski patrol rushed Jim down the mountain and he was airlifted to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, where he underwent surgery Saturday night to stabilize his spine.

Further information can be found below, if you wish to contribute to the efforts I know that they will be greatly appreciated.  More than anything, send positive thoughts.

https://www.gofundme.com/jimhahn

To come and see $100k raised on the gofundme by morning is truly amazing. Hang in there Jim. You'll be back to continuing your reign as the best staysail trimmer in the world sooner than you can imagine. 

The outpouring of support for the Hahn family has been incredible, and truly speaks volumes about our sailing community and the people that call the Hahn's their friends.

I was thinking about it yesterday after I posted this and realized that if you've raced keelboats on the East Coast over the past few decades there's a good chance you've run into Jim Hahn at some point.  If you sail on Long Island Sound there's a good chance you've partied with him under a tent or on a lawn, or maybe even at one of the epic Hahn parties.  The below post from the FP a few years ago is a good example of this.  He might even have you stored in his phone under an affectionate nickname, if so there's a good chance that nickname has been screamed across a body of land or water followed by a string of profanity laced encouragement.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2013/01/21/100-year-ride/

While Jim's injury is permanent, I don't think it will keep Jim off the water for very long.  I'm hoping that all this support keeps him motivated and confident during his rehab.

• Like 1

Hahn broke out of UMASS yesterday and is at a rehab hospital now.  He's in good spirits and seems to be approaching this whole thing with a great attitude.  His injury was a T11 Complete, so he's got a long road ahead, but I'm betting he'll be out on the water as soon as possible.

Isn't this front page worthy?

I had a burst fracture of L2 two years ago. Not nearly as bad has Jim's, but it's scary.  Get better Jim.

This is a terrible accident experienced by an extraordinary person and an amazing person. 

Put this on the front page!

Here's a message from Jim on his Facebook page yesterday, it seems appropriate to share here:

Hello All, a bit of an update from my end. First off the amount of love we have received since this went public is absolutely mind blowing....my phone has been buzzing 24 hours a day with calls, texts, messages from literally all over the world. You have no idea how much these messages have helped my mental state as I come to grips with how my life has changed.

I also want to thank all of you for your huge generosity and to Meghan for setting up the "Gofundme" site and picking such an appropriate name for my fund. Watching the ticker showing donation have been staggering and will be most appreciated as the bills start coming in and we prepare for my re-entry into a normal life.

Another group of folks that I have to thank are all the SCI (Spinal Cord Injury) patients that have reached out to us. What an amazing experience it is getting an unsolicited message from someone you do not know asking if I would like to talk about what has just happened. These conversation have gone a long way in helping Alix and I figure out where I will get the best care and how I can expect to continue to remain active even though I have lost the use of my legs. The community is proving to be amazing.

Today I am breaking out of UMASS Memorial and heading to Burke Rehabilitation in NY. From what we have learned my injury is pretty straight forward and is technically called, I believe, a T11 completed, there is a whole vernacular that I have yet to learn but Alix is well on her way to mastering. I believe what this means is that my injury either stops or starts at vertebrae T11 which is good and the complete means that my spinal core was completely severed (not so good) but from what Alix has learned it sounds like my injury is a pretty straight forward and rehabilitation is going to go a long way in getting me back on my feet (pardon the pun) and living a normal active lifestyle that I am use to. I do find it slightly strange that I am already looking at "go fast" wheel chairs that incorporate titanium and carbon.

With all that did I still have a long road ahead of me and will need your continuing support. Please feel free to continue with the messages, if you have a random joke shoot that to me. The messages really have helped me from going dark and I have just started my journey...I am going to need your help. Once I am settled in rehab I want to see folks and I understand that I not only have a guy for scheduling but also a girl (Bill Mooney & Carolyn Longbotham Russell). Thanks for that guys.

Lastly I have to thank all of my family for the support over the last few days and coming months. This would not be complete without a huge shout out to Nick for being you, understanding and making me laugh and to Geek who continues to shock me with her abilities everyday.....You, my love, are a rockstar of the highest order.

Please feel free to share this post so that the folks I am not "friends" with can see it.

SEND IT!!!!

That photo on the front page is so fucking good.  That's what sailing is about.

Jim.......

I am sorry to hear of your accident. But I am overwhelmed and impressed by your spirit and life force.  I am sure there will be days of frustration and hardship but you were a role model to many of us on Long Island Sound and Newport  before your injury but even more so now. 

Lets all start campaigning for sailing to return to the Para-Olympics so that Jim can win the Gold medal he so truly deserves!

On 2/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, RumLine said:

Hahn broke out of UMASS yesterday and is at a rehab hospital now.  He's in good spirits and seems to be approaching this whole thing with a great attitude.  His injury was a T11 Complete, so he's got a long road ahead, but I'm betting he'll be out on the water as soon as possible.

After 20 years as a T11, anything he might need to know I'll be glad to tell him.

Obviously there is life after injury, it just different.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:14 AM, EYESAILOR said:

Jim.......

I am sorry to hear of your accident. But I am overwhelmed and impressed by your spirit and life force.  I am sure there will be days of frustration and hardship but you were a role model to many of us on Long Island Sound and Newport  before your injury but even more so now. 

Lets all start campaigning for sailing to return to the Para-Olympics so that Jim can win the Gold medal he so truly deserves!

Sailing is just too expensive for the para crowd. It must be government funded and that means many countries are left out.

Let's see 20K for a boat or 3K for a hand cycle or hokey sled or even less for many other sports.
then you need new sails all the time, spare parts, shipping, support team, travel and constant fund raising $$$$$$$$$...................sorry, aint gonna happen.

1 hour ago, footlong said:

Not a ton to report right now, he's going through the initial rehab, getting used to his new situation and keeping a very positive attitude towards the whole thing.  I think he's overwhelmed by the amount of love and support he's getting from family, friends, the sailing community and the SCI community.

19 minutes ago, footlong said:

Bump for Jim!

$100 bumpe forre Jim.  Deare man, goode mane, needes us, needes a hande.                                           :)

On 2/15/2018 at 7:37 AM, RumLine said:

Not a ton to report right now, he's going through the initial rehab, getting used to his new situation and keeping a very positive attitude towards the whole thing.  I think he's overwhelmed by the amount of love and support he's getting from family, friends, the sailing community and the SCI community.

I did 2 months in Rehab and I've heard that will not happen much anymore.
Make sure you let him know, "It will take Time". Don't over due it but never give up.

If he heals well, he will want those Harrington rods removed.  I had mine out at 6 months post. It was life freeing. They itched like a son of a bitch.
I have them in my desk drawer if anyone wants to see what stabilizes a spinal fusion...Titanium 

9 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Make sure you let him know, "It will take Time". Don't over due it but never give up.

If he heals well, he will want those Harrington rods removed.  I had mine out at 6 months post. It was life freeing. They itched like a son of a bitch.
I have them in my desk drawer if anyone wants to see what stabilizes a spinal fusion...Titanium 

Sounds like they've been pushing him just enough to make him sweat.  He's able to move himself between the chair and bed, get himself dressed, and other notable accomplishments that certainly lift his spirits.  There are also plenty of moments keeping him humble, which is good too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Show us.  I have a bunch of screws, rods, and a spacer in my back.  Not very comfortable! 

On 2/23/2018 at 5:44 AM, RumLine said:

Sounds like they've been pushing him just enough to make him sweat.  He's able to move himself between the chair and bed, get himself dressed, and other notable accomplishments that certainly lift his spirits.  There are also plenty of moments keeping him humble, which is good too.

Yea, they had me lifting weights within a week of surgery. I had a turtle shell (foam and plastic they form fitted) that velcor'd together so I could not curve my spine.
I was not able to sit up beyond about 30 degrees with out having it on.
I had to wear it for 3 months, it really sucked
But I blew 1/2 half of T-11 out. Not just fractured, it was gone. I saw an x-ray. I wish I got a copy before the Neurosurgeon retired.

Time will tell

On 2/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, footlong said:

Show us.  I have a bunch of screws, rods, and a spacer in my back.  Not very comfortable! 

Here ya go. I have not opened this package until now. It has bee sealed since the last week of 1997.
In fact this last December 17th 20017 at about 1:30pm was the 20th year since I fell.

Unsealed for 20 years and 2 months, notice the bag label. I have to add the next photo in another post because of the upload requirements.
You can zoom in pretty close.

5a921773a2824_20180224_173023(2).thumb.jpg.6d4137bee80a0020d0ee7bd5f33e06e7.jpg

Here is the opened Harrington rods.
You can see the hooks and how they will clamp on the vertebra.
There is more hardware in between and I'm not sure how the attach.
You will notice the threaded screw in the middle bottom.
It appears to be scored. I hope they did not cross thread a Titanium screw in my back.
That must have been a bitch to remove.
Thank God, I was out. :)

5a921c23214d9_20180224_173347(2).thumb.jpg.6d1f7fb00eb9d0938a8c126954c053ed.jpg

For those looking for a way to support Jim, here's a good opportunity to enjoy March Madness and possibly win some gear.

http://scuttleball.mayhem.cbssports.com/e?ttag=BPM18_cpy_invite_returning

Scuttleball: Balling for a Cause
Published on March 12th, 2018

by Brandon Flack
Back in school, following college basketball was about rounding out the conversational repertoire when taking with normal people (aka, meet girls). Basketball also created this great reprieve from the never ending sailing kung fu under the regatta tent (where there were no girls).

When Scuttleball came out of Annapolis in the early nineties, it seemed like easy pickings for true ball fans to hoist some cash off that sailing crowd during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. Could there be a better group to be part of then a huge tournament pool with a bunch of ACC homer sailors?

While the winning never seemed to come that easy, the pool Jonathan Bartlett created was just a blast to follow and play in. This year, when JB gave us the chance to take it over, it was an easy layup to say yes.

But how could we take an insider industry pseudo-legal pool and turn it into a sailing community-wide game of bragging rights? What better way to focus this spotlight than onto a cause… and picking one this year was easy.

Jim Hahn is such a great person that everyone who has ever met him instantly now wants to find a way to help. Getting Scot West (Managing Director of Ronstan who is saying URI is a lock over Duke in round 2 – really Scot?) to step up with a top prize of a $1500 gift certificate took just one call.

To really understand what a guy like Jim means to the marine industry … know this… it took even less effort for Ronstan’s competitors to offer up twice that much for 2nd through 4th place prizes! Cheers to Harken (CEO Bill Goggins one upped Scot by picking Marquette to win it all – they are not even in the tournament Bill!), Lewmar and Spinlock!

So thanks for taking the time to join, play, and support Jim this year. We promise it will make watching the tournament even more fun and Scuttleball will still give you a new topic of conversation at the next tent party (and there are more girls there today)!

It’s Game Time! Here is how to play
First, you need to submit your picks on the CBS Sports site no later than 10:00 am EDT, Thursday March 15th. The CBS Scuttleball pool link is… click here. You do not need to know ANYTHING about basketball to play (and some say it’s even better to just guess anyhow).

Second, your entry fee ($20 per set of picks – limit 10 per person) must be submitted separately, but no later than Thursday, March 22. If you miss the deadline you will be removed from the pool. NO EXCEPTIONS.

It’s easiest for all if you pay with Paypal via this link… click here. There is an extra $2 tacked on for using PayPal to cover their fee’s. If you prefer to pay by check please mail it to:

Social Navigator
Atlantic Marketing
PO Box 293
Stonington, CT 06378

Please share this pool with your friends to see who is the best baller in sailing.
Remember 100% of the proceeds this year will go to helping out our friend Jim Hahn!

Brandon Flack is the co-founder of Social Navigator (the new steward of Scutttleball) and an avid URI sailing and basketball fan!

This message/poll was posted to your league's message board. To view this message within your league go to http://cbssports.com/lr/119235CF.

Here's something that was published on that other sailing site about the pool