• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
RumLine

"Send it" for Jim Hahn

Our sailing community is full of vibrant characters, and Jim Hahn is certainly one of them.  Some of you may know Jim as the wildly energetic Ronstan rep at boatshows or the Defender Warehouse sale, some may know him as the guy on the water shouting greetings and dirty jokes across to other boats between races, or maybe you know him as the maniac firing a signal cannon off the Coast Guard Station beach at Block Island Race Week as the parade of boats goes by...  However you know Jim, I ask that you please send positive energy as he and his family face the greatest challenge of their lives.

Our friend Jim Hahn was doing what he loved on Saturday, February 3, skiing in Vermont, when he had a catastrophic accident that has left him paralyzed from the waist down. Ski patrol rushed Jim down the mountain and he was airlifted to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, where he underwent surgery Saturday night to stabilize his spine.

Further information can be found below, if you wish to contribute to the efforts I know that they will be greatly appreciated.  More than anything, send positive thoughts.

https://www.gofundme.com/jimhahn

To come and see $100k raised on the gofundme by morning is truly amazing. Hang in there Jim. You'll be back to continuing your reign as the best staysail trimmer in the world sooner than you can imagine. 

The outpouring of support for the Hahn family has been incredible, and truly speaks volumes about our sailing community and the people that call the Hahn's their friends.

I was thinking about it yesterday after I posted this and realized that if you've raced keelboats on the East Coast over the past few decades there's a good chance you've run into Jim Hahn at some point.  If you sail on Long Island Sound there's a good chance you've partied with him under a tent or on a lawn, or maybe even at one of the epic Hahn parties.  The below post from the FP a few years ago is a good example of this.  He might even have you stored in his phone under an affectionate nickname, if so there's a good chance that nickname has been screamed across a body of land or water followed by a string of profanity laced encouragement.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2013/01/21/100-year-ride/

While Jim's injury is permanent, I don't think it will keep Jim off the water for very long.  I'm hoping that all this support keeps him motivated and confident during his rehab.

Hahn broke out of UMASS yesterday and is at a rehab hospital now.  He's in good spirits and seems to be approaching this whole thing with a great attitude.  His injury was a T11 Complete, so he's got a long road ahead, but I'm betting he'll be out on the water as soon as possible.

Isn't this front page worthy?

I had a burst fracture of L2 two years ago. Not nearly as bad has Jim's, but it's scary.  Get better Jim.

This is a terrible accident experienced by an extraordinary person and an amazing person. 

Put this on the front page!

Here's a message from Jim on his Facebook page yesterday, it seems appropriate to share here:

Hello All, a bit of an update from my end. First off the amount of love we have received since this went public is absolutely mind blowing....my phone has been buzzing 24 hours a day with calls, texts, messages from literally all over the world. You have no idea how much these messages have helped my mental state as I come to grips with how my life has changed.

I also want to thank all of you for your huge generosity and to Meghan for setting up the "Gofundme" site and picking such an appropriate name for my fund. Watching the ticker showing donation have been staggering and will be most appreciated as the bills start coming in and we prepare for my re-entry into a normal life.

Another group of folks that I have to thank are all the SCI (Spinal Cord Injury) patients that have reached out to us. What an amazing experience it is getting an unsolicited message from someone you do not know asking if I would like to talk about what has just happened. These conversation have gone a long way in helping Alix and I figure out where I will get the best care and how I can expect to continue to remain active even though I have lost the use of my legs. The community is proving to be amazing.

Today I am breaking out of UMASS Memorial and heading to Burke Rehabilitation in NY. From what we have learned my injury is pretty straight forward and is technically called, I believe, a T11 completed, there is a whole vernacular that I have yet to learn but Alix is well on her way to mastering. I believe what this means is that my injury either stops or starts at vertebrae T11 which is good and the complete means that my spinal core was completely severed (not so good) but from what Alix has learned it sounds like my injury is a pretty straight forward and rehabilitation is going to go a long way in getting me back on my feet (pardon the pun) and living a normal active lifestyle that I am use to. I do find it slightly strange that I am already looking at "go fast" wheel chairs that incorporate titanium and carbon.

With all that did I still have a long road ahead of me and will need your continuing support. Please feel free to continue with the messages, if you have a random joke shoot that to me. The messages really have helped me from going dark and I have just started my journey...I am going to need your help. Once I am settled in rehab I want to see folks and I understand that I not only have a guy for scheduling but also a girl (Bill Mooney & Carolyn Longbotham Russell). Thanks for that guys.

Lastly I have to thank all of my family for the support over the last few days and coming months. This would not be complete without a huge shout out to Nick for being you, understanding and making me laugh and to Geek who continues to shock me with her abilities everyday.....You, my love, are a rockstar of the highest order.

Please feel free to share this post so that the folks I am not "friends" with can see it.

SEND IT!!!!

That photo on the front page is so fucking good.  That's what sailing is about.

Jim may be interested in meeting this young man and local sailor who became a quadriplegic 8 yrs ago at age 19 in a Block Island swimming accident.  He has a book out now telling his story of managing his life and injury. He returned to competitive sailing last year  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1683509137/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Jim.......

I am sorry to hear of your accident. But I am overwhelmed and impressed by your spirit and life force.  I am sure there will be days of frustration and hardship but you were a role model to many of us on Long Island Sound and Newport  before your injury but even more so now. 

Lets all start campaigning for sailing to return to the Para-Olympics so that Jim can win the Gold medal he so truly deserves!

On 2/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, RumLine said:

Hahn broke out of UMASS yesterday and is at a rehab hospital now.  He's in good spirits and seems to be approaching this whole thing with a great attitude.  His injury was a T11 Complete, so he's got a long road ahead, but I'm betting he'll be out on the water as soon as possible.

After 20 years as a T11, anything he might need to know I'll be glad to tell him.

Obviously there is life after injury, it just different.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:14 AM, EYESAILOR said:

Jim.......

I am sorry to hear of your accident. But I am overwhelmed and impressed by your spirit and life force.  I am sure there will be days of frustration and hardship but you were a role model to many of us on Long Island Sound and Newport  before your injury but even more so now. 

Lets all start campaigning for sailing to return to the Para-Olympics so that Jim can win the Gold medal he so truly deserves!

Sailing is just too expensive for the para crowd. It must be government funded and that means many countries are left out.

Let's see 20K for a boat or 3K for a hand cycle or hokey sled or even less for many other sports.
then you need new sails all the time, spare parts, shipping, support team, travel and constant fund raising $$$$$$$$$...................sorry, aint gonna happen.

On 2/13/2018 at 6:18 PM, Meat Wad said:

After 20 years as a T11, anything he might need to know I'll be glad to tell him.

Obviously there is life after injury, it just different.

Sailing is just too expensive for the para crowd. It must be government funded and that means many countries are left out.

Let's see 20K for a boat or 3K for a hand cycle or hokey sled or even less for many other sports.
then you need new sails all the time, spare parts, shipping, support team, travel and constant fund raising $$$$$$$$$...................sorry, aint gonna happen.

Maybe for individual Olympic campaigns, but there is a wide range of disabled regattas and organizations throughout the USA and it's a pretty good circuit with excellent competition. And not that expensive  

here is a place to start 

http://www.robiepierceonedesignregatta.com/

1 hour ago, footlong said:

Not a ton to report right now, he's going through the initial rehab, getting used to his new situation and keeping a very positive attitude towards the whole thing.  I think he's overwhelmed by the amount of love and support he's getting from family, friends, the sailing community and the SCI community.