couchsurfer

Laser Torch?.... here yer go! <;~D

...been down in Baja for a while, no better way to escape the northwest winter than load up the toys, and GO!

Winds have been lighter the last while, usually 15 to 20 as a base each day for weeks!  Noticed even Ventana, kiteboarding mecca at this time of year ,,has gone soft!  <;~O

.......... a picture of the campfire blazing, with my fully rigged laser behind.  Fitting testimony to the Laser Torch action these days.

Not sure if I'm mounting any sort of comeback to lasering, after knee surgery 2 years ago, it's 'interesting' to be back in the boat, squirming with much lessened knee flexibility makes maneuvers rather different,,,, but lasers are a great match for the ~2200 miles of baja shoreline and occasional breakers landing!   Hopefully breeze will be ON again sometime soon,, I'm hoping to marry kiteboard kites with the laser,, then I just need t'find a place for the recliner chair!   :rolleyes: 

DSCN0420

...and here's a shot of a Mexi kite repair I did on the beach,,,, I'm so terrible at kiting, first time up, drove the kite for a rather hard landing on the beach, a seam burst, bladder started pressing out, and just as I reached for the release valve....... BANG!!   Like a gunshot in my ear! the bladder burst.  I was bummed, back on the couch for a nap,,, no repair materials to speak of.   :(

After a while, I remembered a bike I had bought where the ijut had patched the tire with duct tape, it was remarkably long before it blew out again, namely because the tape pressed outwards onto the tire, which held id pressed well!     Soooo, a star of duct tape over the 1 1\2" ho;e, ~7 layers thick at the blowout,,,  a chopped up 2quart milk bottle slathered with 4200, then some careful stitching a scrap of sailbag with dental floss.   The only 'proper' material in the job?...a sewing needle!   :lol:

DSCN0044 DSCN0043

...the van was so loaded with gear, suspension was bottoming out on I-5!   Knowing Baja roads, I went straight to the SanD junkyards, and got a stiffer set of rear springs... now Sienna is... ElToro stylin!!  :rolleyes:

DSCN4584

7 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

...been down in Baja for a while, no better way to escape the northwest winter than load up the toys, and GO!

Winds have been lighter the last while, usually 15 to 20 as a base each day for weeks!  Noticed even Ventana, kiteboarding mecca at this time of year ,,has gone soft!  <;~O

.......... a picture of the campfire blazing, with my fully rigged laser behind.  Fitting testimony to the Laser Torch action these days.

Not sure if I'm mounting any sort of comeback to lasering, after knee surgery 2 years ago, it's 'interesting' to be back in the boat, squirming with much lessened knee flexibility makes maneuvers rather different,,,, but lasers are a great match for the ~2200 miles of baja shoreline and occasional breakers landing!   Hopefully breeze will be ON again sometime soon,, I'm hoping to marry kiteboard kites with the laser,, then I just need t'find a place for the recliner chair!   :rolleyes: 

DSCN0420

Dude, you are living the dream out/down there.  Looks like a nice time.  Seriously jealous!!

...almost Wess,. but it's another windless morning,, never seen the winds so light, the seagulls are making SUCH a noise they only shaddap when I play my flute ...internet access totally sucks here on the beach.... a guart of good tequila is now almost $8!!... the tides are wrong for the clams . ...and all the ball bearing blocks and cleats on the laser are jammed with sand., Beach boat indeed.  

Life here not as easy as you think.    :(

You sir, are my idol.  when you get back up here, let me take you out on my Flying Dinosaur.  You can tell me how to sail it better, and you will get microbrew beer in exchange!! 

Love the kite fix. 

14 hours ago, unfix8r said:

You sir, are my idol.  when you get back up here, let me take you out on my Flying Dinosaur.  You can tell me how to sail it better, and you will get microbrew beer in exchange!! 

Love the kite fix. 

Mann, aren't you ready to evolve into the current millennia yet!?  Still have some HOOTs around, can give you some therapy!

Was packing up gotta pick up Mrs Couch in Cabo,, of course the wind came in, like the place is telling me to come back.... Got out for a sail in 10 knots,,, had to wear a t-shirt cause of the cloud cover,, a cold Feb day in Baja!   :(

On 2/7/2018 at 3:57 PM, unfix8r said:

...down in Ventana now,. kiteboarding mecca,, they had their first good breeze y'day in 2 weeks,, people are pretty freeked about theweather anomolies these days, fish populations, very warm water, etc 

Had a great sail in 20 knots, just gotta remember to ease the can't for tacks, need more room to get the less flexy body through now,, clumpy knee just not the same as it used to be.

It's incredible the #'s here,, so much new development in 5 years, lotsa schools....estimate easily 1000 kiters on hand, quite possibly 200 out sailing in a good day.  Sailing has by no means died,, just evolved!   :o

17 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

...totally incredible sight this morning,, was packing the gear up, it was ~6-7 knots of breeze,,,, a guy sets up a ~20m bladderless kite, tosses the hydrofoil in the water, he's pumping hard on both the foil and kite, then.... AWAY.... he's ........gone!!!    Musta been going 3x windspeed in 7 knots!!!!    I kid you not!

We're in the wrong segment of this sport.  :mellow:

...I'll drop some pics later on,.....

...here's the video, worth a watch in spite of crap filming...  .....this guy's sailing faster in 7 knots,,, than most of us will go in our lives!!!!   :o

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 10:06 PM, couchsurfer said:

Been an amazing two months down in Baja, though the winds were for the mostpart out of phase until the last few days.  Certainly folks in Ventana's kiter windcult talk anxiously of these variations, as they lose their 'guaranteed windy' status these last 2 years.

It's been quite a journey,,, breezes came back ON in the last few days,,, sailing in 20 knots for a few hours through a marine reserve, sea turtles and all,, to find my nice beach had become a rocky lee shore!   Guerro Negro, sailing along with the grey whales, phenomenal!   

Overall, post knee surgery,, I see that things are too awkward and painful for lightwind running, so I guess I won't bother with regular racing locally,, but I felt fine once I could stretch out in a breeze,, just have to remember to ease the vang for tacks, finn style.... so maybe I'll park the boat at the local club, catch some breezes, then go for a gorge event this year,, we'll see.  

...here's the Laser Torch photo again for posteriority!....and some other shots.... hopefully I can edit some footage from my sail with the gray whales!!  <;~O

0H1_ggeTu7qBjnz_WoFxqmbRmyZ5dlngCggFtxudlaf6BbMX5Xoha7r36dOH8eCNp0xEl9o9IG2EjAoJTN15-YBqmeELqpB76dQ3V2-9Dm29jPeZRsP9Ckw4pM1s7Rc-GDsYMsfeFMqtL2AtFvi6ghenlSnoawcDyxUEoXRVSdj9dfXkT5srM7ABxw8HeG3rskSjx1GNPtLfxfAvw2y8qoYCCVndz01XSS_XJa3e8NCKPNKA18OaoYz5Ct2KJmMJKvxGZ3yDM5MZKfOkDfPoF6IYRkVujTPmHhN_lW3l1I_vjARS0YCAiS4CgoK_QedUFasHqWpo6zN-18NBbBd0IlNjY5GemQUNuVCuQBuqegAED547NBt_n4XzGBrUSXnu2QBkWzEDJYQ_8TI3pqXk1JgMH_9wwwhqsswEkoqA7Eb51MnNLxo53d9-VGOWQQZCa-RoJTDKWJjA8yIIT21za04aOTcBLfS0XovYOkkadu7hsj2zlyYCE3-i0EWHvjy4aaxenqh8nno-Pv8yyTTr_2U37_25QdOfMEYnPIN4lnpAG47KCOQRplDTT9CIuujCMXiz-Jy0LlUk0kzX3RT0Yh3tjOSI7i_n96-4Nlc=w497-h662-noeW8BHJ87M1GvvNTbTzxwVA5VL2jxX2EIk2y8pHfn3XubnpjLdD-fEICGH4qouVQDuUrQADi6iRMzjn-LiC7QQbUG-fwMLqD54qrBpUdRcA16l_8Qs64xtgi_0R-eRbhXZ2glpWiluyTCpP8j2gcUoWsmRwVFJOJ0_fE3Os_s9-CQnnRSO7kDyI9-hEQTO7fqWC5K560ZzRIx6lgsdmJJPLCD_r2VYIIT5dazkro7xn_-bSF6no4EVLcPO19rg7VS3zzn7C-84VO9FzuKlpC1d4hfEhxT8daAcfJDISeEa2s0gmcHhkOhps90d_1AEqI9_Ro890zv2aDKes9bEcUEi3K7PsSBv3AK1YWjziJXMlfKWBWlEyNWxmxf7jMfsz9GZiz7RzkMtha2zHlLqJonYT3wODHt84xPMlO4P_ervYycTe8Zpl-cUwd4sqijHMcee0me0zNvb-_HKkVoO4EWrmYeba9jNNSB3R73n4q66NKPEy0QWBt52KnhHHbYHiBAVmXiSgcoq8hyepB9I3Xyc3VTsmPNo57B4hVOWAPGeQF9YpwCsTSPD7J335yA_NPBjXLiNtT0UP-_PnYBWbi8cZzP0uQ5N-CHUGMK3po=w497-h662-noD8poWrpIYuDr7r_N3WNS_TMMBya2inAUHAXd-InevS3LUtR4Qz0GTHOG6KHkX0cwkiEyOs4SEEaLxUXSPFqVlGzgQmjpAZv7k7ME5ZOjkttZ2ZE31vmGyL7SwIV1acf0m5XBg0z9opNKwUe4ZIxctCYG3BTGZTqwX2lPhz-ey6S06SHzqnJTBJJnzrg7BU19Tcwx0beBP5RrxkfbgwRPz14az7E2znLy19ZExo4x5C9fALiwK06CxjPwSruxGYJ15wu4sJgOmkObUD8fuQVRCVI90iXTItLxooWWrkBCjh59UYk3cYBgk_KHpOdGpKwC0xxtq5XzLvsd0fkkrvHPwgi4bwylDYcVUDzN9bmTalsWRGuaQ1DqXJocKo0mK1zbquN8U1fBj3K3QDfSvfFSxEA8qQc2RkJjxjolkHiDe720Uigh2Mmgsw2wVuzNKykb_uWWENKrGJn6OBefQAgYGuqB3_KctyBlS9QuZLDGiE11a5EHQYhNl_9HkktEYyflScXTiEkYSU05Omf_n2V9ukRO2D1M6TISVxqwK48FwZ86UETRPTxYG9aBiykIiAK-hJKpY8bJptRV_A6_bE4AjgPGCGPsCRdCaQ6R7gQ=w883-h662-noQV7vrh4u9DRRIsEN5o0pWoDJP_bM6ZbKNt_sr4RUpe8d3bp1h7gFmkgRa9aj1ztPmDKx3XW7WZinu2oR87u0saHrUY9p4oDb3RsbEH6aHcQO3gSaPbC7MMXbRNJgRtzlV7Ee818NnBALhKrzMCr1K_B4xZ_20rVMB7GM1K-Yu6nKwsHNtI9wSLohlJcLZitz7kH89amENLrsb2Q4Ix89EXlnNR7aSe7NngaJDSFQgwHUpWW1VgVqwy1yhQnTSZA2QQigPN09cYU6meG6G2KCkMfC8aKQZO4kux5qdnZDD0JwHNeYZDl8WW_E2QhN_gtltOxan7YEAhFmc68IIFG1lfLCuxq2OeH_7OiQgN4-ey2aCF-_tO21IvQ9HHUaE0zoMBmhgfrUtLdxqNxOt8xA76Cka2JaEnfBng-LLXUXqvEv3moWYMidmdTNev208SNOnE2oY9Ag5fjrlJFRr49_-otjR-LqAjIhYrJcP9n5oAx5odYwuMGyRZY6IM5CUJO-8FcYfTSAkGKwbmp6NwFqheJQemkyT7K5scEbhTnIXC4LwFhb5-uUKkgVyZEQUqkTDlgEd7b2XKnxi9gvN3o3HgQqL-zk3Q_HUIA47mk=w883-h662-no