Sign in to follow this  
Uncooperative Tom

Govt Shutdown Prevention

Govt Shutdown Prevention

Restarting the government on Jan. 23 after a three-day shutdown required Congress to authorize an additional $31 billion in borrowing.

Rather than continuing to careen from near-shutdown to actual shutdown and back again, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) wants to force Congress to pass a budget by imposing a penalty that's sure to give most of Washington nightmares: a 1 percent budget cut.

Under the terms of Paul's Government Shutdown Prevention Act, which he introduced last month, Congress would agree to ongoing continuing resolutions that would kick-in if a budget was not passed on time. The catch is that the automatic CR would come with an automatic, across-the-board cut of 1 percent for all government agencies. After 90 days, if there is no budget deal, funding would be reduced by another 1 percent.

"Around here, spending 1 percent less ought to be a enough of a punishment to get people to do their jobs and do appropriations on time," Paul said Tuesday during a hearing on his bill. "We know both sides don't want spending to go down. They're all for more spending."

I expect this will be about as well-received by the Duopoly establishment as his views on surveillance have been but it's still a good idea.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

ah..but will theycut the presidents travel budget too?

Hopefully, the part they cut is, the flying back to the USA part.....

• Like 1

They would never allow successive across the board cuts of 1%.

The idea is to create an alternative less palatable than government by continuing resolution. Otherwise, we'll continue to choose that approach.

WTF? Why punish the workers for the Board of Directors massive incompetence?  This is like GM threatening to cut the hourly pay of their line workers $1 for every day the Board can't agree on next year's budget :wacko:

How about reducing THEIR pay 1% per day of shutdown. THAT might get their attention.

Also don't forget the overall goal here - to make the USA incapable of collective action. Once we are reduced to 50 squabbling states that view the Federal Government as either an enemy or useless, our enemies in the world will have no more problems with us than 17th and 18th century European settlers had with 500 Indian tribes that spend most of their time fighting each other.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

WTF? Why punish the workers for the Board of Directors massive incompetence?  This is like GM threatening to cut the hourly pay of their line workers $1 for every day the Board can't agree on next year's budget :wacko:

How about reducing THEIR pay 1% per day of shutdown. THAT might get their attention.

I doubt Congress would be exempt but that's a minor reason they won't let this happen.

kent , stop with the logic and common sense .

24 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Also don't forget the overall goal here - to make the USA incapable of collective action. Once we are reduced to 50 squabbling states that view the Federal Government as either an enemy or useless, our enemies in the world will have no more problems with us than 17th and 18th century European settlers had with 500 Indian tribes that spend most of their time fighting each other.

The ironic thing is that the very politicians who are pushing hard to Balkanize the USA are the ones also pushing dreams of glory and American Exceptionalism

-DSK

21 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The ironic thing is that the very politicians who are pushing hard to Balkanize the USA are the ones also pushing dreams of glory and American Exceptionalism

-DSK

They saw some History Channel show on the USSR, saw a country that was a third-world shithole with a huge army and nuclear weapons. They really liked the idea and want to recreate it here.

They figured out a better plan:

Spend More On Everything! Yay!

So how did the two sides finally come together? They decided to spend more—on everything. And they'll worry about paying for it later (or maybe not at all).

The Senate bill would lift current federal spending limits by about $315 billion through 2019, according to The Washington Post. The bill also includes $90 billion in disaster aid funding, making for a total of roughly $400 billion in spending.

The deal placates Republican defense hawks by boosting spending for the military, lifting the spending cap put in place by the 2013 sequester agreement by $80 billion this year and $85 billion next year.

The deal pairs the boost in defense spending with a roughly equal increase in domestic spending. On the homefront, the plan includes $10 billion for infrastructure spending, as well as billions for federal health initiatives, including $6 billion to respond to the opioid crisis, $7 billion for community health centers, and a decade-long extension of the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), up from the six-year extension Congress passed earlier this year.

All this additional spending will, of course, significantly increase the budget deficit.

Justin Amash called it "digusting and reckless" but I'd call it "par for the course."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

They figured out a better plan:

Spend More On Everything! Yay!

Justin Amash called it "digusting and reckless" but I'd call it "par for the course."

Good thing we have tax cuts to make up for it. 

How long do we need to shut it down before we achieve a balanced ledger? 

I know if my bank account runs low, I stop spending until I am again solvent. Why should we not do the same with the federal government?

Just a thought.

What happens to The Party of Fiscal Responsibility?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?utm_term=.d2f5ce4139bf

Excerpt-

“Republican lawmakers in 2011 brought the U.S. government to the brink of default, refused to raise the debt ceiling, demanded huge spending cuts, and insisted on a constitutional amendment to balance the budget.

On Wednesday, they formally broke free from those fiscal principles and announced a plan that would add $500 billion in new spending over two years and suspend the debt ceiling until 2019. This came several months after Republicans passed a tax law that would add more than $1 trillion to the debt over a decade.”

With all these changes, the annual gap between spending and revenue in 2019 is projected to eclipse $1.1 trillion, up from $439 billion in 2015. And they are expanding the deficit at an unusual time, when the economy is growing and unemployment is low, a dynamic that often leads to shrinking budget gaps."

24 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

How long do we need to shut it down before we achieve a balanced ledger? 

I know if my bank account runs low, I stop spending until I am again solvent. Why should we not do the same with the federal government?

Just a thought.

The never-ending why not manage the largest economy in history like my household grocery budget :rolleyes:

1. A government shutdown WASTES money, it does not save it. Everyone still gets paid, they just don't do anything.

2. Truly stopping work,paychecks, Social Security checks, and debt service would make the 1929 depression look like a temporary market glitch. This is riots in the streets soylent green world economy collapses territory.

3. Even EllieMarySue Housewife will go into debt before losing the house or watching the kids starve to death.

You miss the point, completely.

The notion of mindset that government should manage the economy is why we are in the position we are in. Government should be ancillary, not primary.

No - YOU missed the point. Government shutdowns are not even vaguely related to managing anything and save nothing. They are just a way for Congress and the President to throw their toys out of the pram and scream real loud until an adult pays attention.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

You miss the point, completely.

The notion of mindset that government should manage the economy is why we are in the position we are in. Government should be ancillary, not primary.

I think your claim that others "miss the point" are due to the fact that you have no conception of what a national economy is, and what forces are at work.

This is not the 1790s any more.

-DSK

The national economy is small business, by a very long margin.

The fact you are a willing participant in allowing an overbearing federal bureaucracy to foist a command economy upon We The People is most troubling .... and why we are in the mess we are in today.

Bow to your overlords, they know so much more about how to spend your money than you. Our government enslaves us via taxes. We work for them, not for ourselves. Some find that disturbing. Sadly not enough of us though.

“We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes.”

- Leona Helmsley 

44 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

The national economy is small business, by a very long margin.

The fact you are a willing participant in allowing an overbearing federal bureaucracy to foist a command economy upon We The People is most troubling .... and why we are in the mess we are in today.

Bow to your overlords, they know so much more about how to spend your money than you. Our government enslaves us via taxes. We work for them, not for ourselves. Some find that disturbing. Sadly not enough of us though.

Ok class, here is a good example of what we've been talking about- when an ignoramus is not just stupid but also arrogant.

Bill D, how do you suppose small business fared in the boom/bust cycles common in national economies which do not have a central (ie national) bank to stabilize the currency?

Hint- look up the word "shinplaster"

Oh and Bill D if you genuinely want to live in a place with no government stealing from you and enslaving you, why don't you MOVE out of the US and into a place more to your liking? No balls, I bet

-DSK

8 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Why isn't he living large in Somalia? Freedom and gun lovers paradise if there ever was one.

Too many brown people. OTOH since he so strong and manly and brave, and there is no government to tell him not to, he could just shoot as many of them as it took to create a comfortable empty space for himself.

No balls though. Kind of like the way President Trump is fearful of Mueller but cannot bring himself to take any action

-DSK

You jacks probably think government is there to help. Comical. And then you double down with "Go live in Somalia". Classic chicken shit garbage.

News flash, government didn't build this country, We The People did.

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

You jacks probably think government is there to help. Comical. And then you double down with "Go live in Somalia". Classic chicken shit garbage.

News flash, government didn't build this country, We The People did.

News flash, WE THE PEOPLE are the gov't.

Or, we were, until the Republican Party decided that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, should be replaced by government of the people, by the ass-kissers, for the wealthiest 1/2%

Now, back to economics and finance...... do you know what a "shinplaster" is? Can you explain the significance of this to your ideas of unregulated banks? I'm betting not

-DSK

No, the government is an entity unto its own self. It is there to extend its reach and ensure its continuing existence. It is a pariah that exists to erode the efforts of individuals in the name of public interest. However the only interest the government has is itself. And tools like yourself think it is essential, while small factions of government may be somewhat essential, as a whole it serves itself and regards the citizenry as second class. It is enabled by the likes of people who "think" like yourself.

7 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Well - it looks like the Gentleman from KY may be the last one driving the Fiscal Responsibility Express 

He says he'll ramble on until 3 am.

Paul slammed Republicans and Democrats for agreeing to a budget that independent analysts say will result in a $1 trillion deficit.

"A country cannot go on forever spending money this way," said Paul. "What you are seeing is recklessness being passed off as bipartisanship."

The budget deal would remove limits on military spending imposed by the 2013 sequester would be removed, allowing the Pentagon to receive an additional $80 billion this year and $85 billion next year. Other lids on the discretionary budget would be similarly lifted, allowing for billions of new spending on infrastructure, public health, and disaster aid.

Paul lashed his own party's leaders, saying that Repulicans "are the conservative party" only when Democrats are in power. "When Republicans are in power, there is no conservative party," he added.

Sometimes he reminds me of his dad. This is one of those times but dad was a Rep, not a Senator, so couldn't ramble on for hours like this.

What are the prospects in the House? Don't see the Teabaggers going for it.

going to take some clever spin to blame this on Democrats. God knows they will try.

4 hours ago, Sean said:

What are the prospects in the House? Don't see the Teabaggers going for it.

going to take some clever spin to blame this on Democrats. God knows they will try.

It's their fault because they wouldn't support America, yadda yadda yadda. Ignore the bunch of Republicans in the corner huffing each others farts.

11 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Well - it looks like the Gentleman from KY may be the last one driving the Fiscal Responsibility Express 

I feel sorry for him. He has no conductor, firemen, brakemen, or passengers.

Apparently fiscal responsibility is a thing only when Democrats are in charge. Now...............not so much :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Apparently fiscal responsibility is a thing only when Democrats are in charge. Now...............not so much :rolleyes:

So you're saying it's the Democrats' fault for not being in charge? That must be the clever spin Sean was talking about.

7 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I feel sorry for him. He has no conductor, firemen, brakemen, or passengers.

There is no FRE. Just an Uncooperative brakeman or two.

9 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

21 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

So you're saying it's the Democrats' fault for not being in charge? That must be the clever spin Sean was talking about.

It’s an “interesting question”.

Blame isn't important - FIXING it is.    The root cause, IMHO, is a populace who's come to look at the government as the fiscal provider for everything, and a Congress who've gone along with that idea for way too long now, in their desire for perpetual office, coupled with a populace who has become so divided that they just want to see the other guys slammed, and if costs 'em their fiscal future to do that?  They are myopically willing to accept that. 

I'm an engineer - not an economist or poli-sci major, I'd be interested in hearing what others who are better informed than I am think. 

46 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Blame isn't important - FIXING it is.    The root cause, IMHO, is a populace who's come to look at the government as the fiscal provider for everything, and a Congress who've gone along with that idea for way too long now, in their desire for perpetual office, coupled with a populace who has become so divided that they just want to see the other guys slammed, and if costs 'em their fiscal future to do that?  They are myopically willing to accept that. 

I'm an engineer - not an economist or poli-sci major, I'd be interested in hearing what others who are better informed than I am think. 

The R plan has always been to cut taxes and ramp up spending. Short term it is like starter fluid, the economic engine goes nuts. Long term the plan is as follows:

So sorry, our deficits are so overwhelming we just cannot afford to have an EPA, FDA, DOE, DOA, SSA, HUD, or anything else not part of the DOD. From now on the Federal Government is only the military and you all are on own for anything else. Sorry the Democrats spent all the money on gay turtle research, not our fault, sucks to be you, SEE YA

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The R plan has always been to cut taxes and ramp up spending. Short term it is like starter fluid, the economic engine goes nuts. Long term the plan is as follows:

So sorry, our deficits are so overwhelming we just cannot afford to have an EPA, FDA, DOE, DOA, SSA, HUD, or anything else not part of the DOD. From now on the Federal Government is only the military and you all are on own for anything else. Sorry the Democrats spent all the money on gay turtle research, not our fault, sucks to be you, SEE YA

Gay turtles will wipe themselves out eventually - so I don't see a problem cutting funding for that.   

When the Democrats are in power, Republicans appear to be the conservative party. But when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party.

Sen. Rand Paul on the new senate spending bill: "If you were against President Obama's deficits, and now you're for the Republican deficits, isn't that the very definition of hypocrisy?" (link: http://abcn.ws/2nNbGZG) abcn.ws/2nNbGZG

Rush on deficit spending -

"And I know theoretically all this is bad, but in the real world all of the apocalyptic warnings I grew up hearing have yet to happen. The national debt has not choked us. The national debt is not destroyed us. We may be living in the middle of the destruction and don’t see it yet, but for some reason I didn’t get caught up in it."

15 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

nah, Rand Paul just hops on when he needs to get himself somewhere

So Rand Paul, a Republican shut down the government briefly.  Where are Trumps tweet's about Paul hating the brave military personnel, and being in favor of being inundated with murderous, brown skinned, drug dealing, evil foreigners invading our porous borders?

10 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
10 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Gay turtles will wipe themselves out eventually - so I don't see a problem cutting funding for that. 

Hmmm..... what if it's that new miracle detergent going into going into the water that turned them gay? Wouldn't you like to know about that? And have an actual working EPA to prevent the effects from becoming more widespread?

-DSK

On 2/8/2018 at 9:17 AM, BillDBastard said:

So you are coming out in favor of a flat tax rate?

So, you really want to give the 1% a break, doncha....

On 2/9/2018 at 10:11 AM, Sean said:

When the Democrats are in power, Republicans appear to be the conservative party. But when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party.

Sen. Rand Paul on the new senate spending bill: "If you were against President Obama's deficits, and now you're for the Republican deficits, isn't that the very definition of hypocrisy?" (link: http://abcn.ws/2nNbGZG) abcn.ws/2nNbGZG

He should probably be beaten.

"When Rand Paul pulls a stunt like this, it easy to understand why it's difficult to be Rand Paul's next-door neighbor," Dent then told Politico, referring to the neighbor who assaulted Paul and broke several of his ribs last year.