Marcus H

Small 4 stroke outboards for windrider17

I would appreciate any information- pro or con- about small 4 stroke outboard for windrider17   Noise , dependability, weight etc.

3 hours ago, mundt said:

perfect case for an electric.  Honda air cooled is great but pretty loud.

Agree on both points.

I sail a 27-foot 3200 lb. boat on an inland lake. I had a Honda 4-cycle 2 HP for years. It was good, but I got sick of gas & oil and got a Torqueedo.

Thanks for information concerning noise w/Honda. Any more comparisons between other manufacturers- assume they are all made in China 

45 minutes ago, Marcus H said:

Thanks for information concerning noise w/Honda. Any more comparisons between other manufacturers- assume they are all made in China 

the honda 4 stroke 2.3 isn't that loud, but you have to be careful with modern gas with ethanol. It does not like to sit in these engines for long at all. The 2.3 and the torqeedo weigh nearly the same assembled, but obviously the torq will have shorter range at twice the price. A spare battery is almost necessary.

If you go with the Torq it has one advantage over almost every gas outboard you can find is that it has a very simple peg to keep the engine from rotating. Add a remote throttle and you've got a pretty decent setup. the motor tilt could be more robust. I have always hated trying to get an outboard on a sailboat to just be locked on centerline - most of them have a friction knob that is not designed to handle the torque under power.

For the WR17 have you considered a trolling motor?

1 hour ago, IStream said:

I saw this at the boat show and spoke with the owner about the design. It seems pretty decent.

https://www.electricpaddle.com/

This one is interesting.  I like that it is simple and it seems easy to DIY tinker with (even if that just means adding a larger battery).  A 24V 15AH LFP battery is $330 from BatterySpace, so 50% more range at about half the price of the EPCarry battery.  It also isn't hard to find 12V chargers for LFP batteries.

I'm a little torn about how they are showing similar boat speeds as the small Torqueedo 503 even though the EPCarry has half of the motor power.  The two companies use very different designs, but I'd be surprised if Torqueedo (who has been around for a long time) is using a very inefficient prop design.

For now I like paddling, but I'm going to consider one of these if we ever do need a motor again.

Thanks for input. I have small trolling electric motor. My problem is we sail and camp out on western lakes and reservoirs - week at a time deal, so inability to charge batteries and the winds are undependable.  Much as I would like a quiet electric rig I am pretty much in need of fuel powered outboard.   Just deciding what brand to purchase Marcus

Jeez guys - helping out a b00bless n00b? This place used to have standards. Perhaps the mods could activate the feature that auto-Ignores newbies until offerings are made.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alex W said:

This one is interesting.  I like that it is simple and it seems easy to DIY tinker with (even if that just means adding a larger battery).  A 24V 15AH LFP battery is $330 from BatterySpace, so 50% more range at about half the price of the EPCarry battery.  It also isn't hard to find 12V chargers for LFP batteries.

I'm a little torn about how they are showing similar boat speeds as the small Torqueedo 503 even though the EPCarry has half of the motor power.  The two companies use very different designs, but I'd be surprised if Torqueedo (who has been around for a long time) is using a very inefficient prop design.

For now I like paddling, but I'm going to consider one of these if we ever do need a motor again.

The prop is a two blade high aspect design that looks to be about 10" in diameter, so I'm guessing it's more efficient than the equivalent Torqeedo, though not enough to make up for a 50% lower power motor. I do like the fact that the motor is in the head rather than in the water but that shaft drive may also negate a lot of the prop efficiency advantage. They also recommend a freshwater rinse after use, which raises questions about how durable the immersed components are.

My only real quibble with the design is that the prop uses an integral bevel gear molded in plastic to interface with the drive shaft from the motor. According to the man, it lasts about 100 hours before the gear+prop needs to be replaced for $79. Then again, a buck an hour or so isn't terrible if the rest of it holds up. 

EDIT: Speaking of batteries, they'll sell the outboard without a battery for ~$1000, which is nice.

11 hours ago, Alex W said:

The explanation for the different power giving the same speed could be that the board reaches hull speed OR the higher powered motor may not be measuring the power by the same method as the low powered motor.

Years ago I had a 5.5 hp British Seagull (barge model) with an 11 inch prop .. we tested it and a 4 hp Evinrude with a 7 inch prop with a stall test against scales.  We assumed that the Seagull would give far higher readings but it was the other way around ,, the Evinrude had a much higher pull than the Seagull.

Some makers like to enhance the truth a bit.