• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Grand Canard

Bowsprit Retro-fit (in-hull)

I bought a project J/27 that I'd like to retro-fit a retractable sprit into my hull; I'm searching for the fiberglass sprit part that is fitted and molded into the hull, been looking on-line but I haven't yet found a single company offering that retro-fit part as a stand-alone part or preferably as a complete kit w/ pole. Does anyone know of any companies that offer part or kit?  

Rick

Just spitballing here but.....J-Boats?

Also, did you ask on J/Boat Anarchy?

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Just spitballing here but.....J-Boats?

Also, did you ask on J/Boat Anarchy?

No, I didn't. I thought J Boats ( US Watercraft) is out of business and has been or is being liquidated.

Regardless, is there an aftermarket source?

Why don’t you ask on J Anarchy like suggested? 

We didn’t liquidate that asset here.

I'd suspect there are multiple issues with trying to kit a thru the hull sprit.

1.  Every hull/bow shape is different, so getting the outside the hull fitting (that holds forward bearing in place) to fit well means a custom fit every time.

2.  Alignment is critical, or the sprit will bind on extension and retraction, and getting the alignment right might well be beyond your average DIYer

3.  Alignment is critical, and you'd have to be very precise when you cut thru the hull...again, likely beyond the average DIYer...

I get the advantages of an in the hull sprit, (I had a J/109 at one time) but that said, I'd be pretty leery of trying it on my own, and I'm not usually to timid when it comes to boat projects...

14 hours ago, Crash said:

I'd suspect there are multiple issues with trying to kit a thru the hull sprit.

1.  Every hull/bow shape is different, so getting the outside the hull fitting (that holds forward bearing in place) to fit well means a custom fit every time.

2.  Alignment is critical, or the sprit will bind on extension and retraction, and getting the alignment right might well be beyond your average DIYer

3.  Alignment is critical, and you'd have to be very precise when you cut thru the hull...again, likely beyond the average DIYer...

I get the advantages of an in the hull sprit, (I had a J/109 at one time) but that said, I'd be pretty leery of trying it on my own, and I'm not usually to timid when it comes to boat projects...

Guy in the yard had a retro done recently and alignment is off.  He had a buddy do it and I get the “...he didn’t pay attention to the shear...“  blah, blah blah speech.   Big piece of work too.  

Ouch.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, Zonker said:

Does it have to be hull mounted? A lot more complexity with the external moulding.

My J/27 cabin is gutted, nothing remains but bulkhead and ribbing; a thru hull sprit would look a lot cleaner, not clutter-up my deck.

I think it would be cool to fit my J/27 w/ thru hull sprit; I already re-cored my deck plus many other restorations, I am certainly capable of installation of the sprit.

I'm in Asia at the moment, but I will give J Boats a shout end of February.

4 hours ago, Grand Canard said:

My J/27 cabin is gutted, nothing remains but bulkhead and ribbing; a thru hull sprit would look a lot cleaner, not clutter-up my deck.

I think it would be cool to fit my J/27 w/ thru hull sprit; I already re-cored my deck plus many other restorations, I am certainly capable of installation of the sprit.

I'm in Asia at the moment, but I will give J Boats a shout end of February.

Jeff Kent did a custom retractable sprit for his J-35. He has since sold his company to Moore Brothers in Rhode Island but still does consulting for them. I'd give the Moore Bros a call, although that might not be practical for you in LA.

Custom Offshore in NJ did a custom sprit for an Express 37 if memory serves....

I think it would take a fair amount of thinking/mocking up.  I don't think its impossible, just more challenging then the ability of the average DIYer.  Not trying to say your not above average, or even not superlative as DIYer's go.

I agree that it is much cleaner and better looking...

J/80 pretty close in all respects to the J-27.  Wonder if you can find a sprit system from a beat up/trashed/salvage J/80 to use as your baseline, and then mod as necessary???

You might also be able to buy all the pieces of the J/70 system new...

If you do it, send us pictures!

The hardest part of this might be finding the correct angle so the tip of the sprit is on centerline when fully extended....

Look at a Beneteau First 10r. It has a good retractable sprit. Works well and is easy to maintain.

It is basically a carbon fibre tube, inside a fibreglass tube, suspended on bushings. 

Rich DuMoulin did one on his Express 37.  Maybe the same one referenced above.

Rumor is the yard did the job for $10K and said they'd be happy to do it again.... for $20K.  Urban legend.  I don't know real cost.