Sign in to follow this  
Wet Spreaders

Stupid Airports

54 minutes ago, IStream said:

Polycarbonate? That's surprising. 

He said a polycarbonate something ...two words. A blend maybe? But being a retired fireman, two multisyllabic words together was too much for me..... 

Based on the picture and my superficial knowledge of the field, I'm guessing it's ceramic on crosslinked polyethylene (COP). The material is similar to PEX pipe and wears a lot better than standard polyethylene.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the confusion. If someone was talking to me about cutting the heads off my femurs, I might be a little distracted.

33 minutes ago, IStream said:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the confusion. If someone was talking to me about cutting the heads off my femurs, I might be a little distracted.

:D

That actually sounds familiar, I’ll bet that’s it! I knew there was a “poly” word...... I willingly stand corrected sir! 

And yes, it was hard to drive by the conversation about cutting off the heads of both femurs........

:blink:

On 2/22/2018 at 3:28 PM, billy backstay said:

Take laxatives, because the Oxy will bind you up very quickly, and they often forget to tell you this fact.   

WTF??????

1 hour ago, Christian said:
On 2/22/2018 at 3:28 PM, billy backstay said:

Take laxatives, because the Oxy will bind you up very quickly, and they often forget to tell you this fact.   

WTF??????

Painkillers disrupt nerve function, including the signals that tell stuff to "move along" in our bowels.

A FB friend of mine just posted the following rant on the miracle of modern air travel. I changed his wife's name to SWMBO to protect the relatively innocent.

So, here’s the thing so far. SWMBO had to get me on an airplane at an unholy matins, lauds and primes sort of hour, pre Cockcrow if you will and she allowed that getting me close to the airport the eve before would make things simpler, which it did, but did NOT make things simple. Some of you may know that I am NOT a morning person and waking me ere cockcrow best involves standing out of reach and poking me with a long stick with one hand and extending the other with a large cup of coffee. SWMBO knows the procedure and safely handled what is best not attempted by amateurs and then came the problem of getting me lapsed into consciousness and moving while I am nursing my coffee and growling. There was a time deadline involved and I do not do deadlines well because they involve planning and I realized long ago, or maybe it is just something to do with the core of my nature, that planning and I do not ‘zactly gee and haw and that plans gang aft agley (oft go awry) and then you get stressed and I do not like to get stressed so my sort of planning is “I’m planning on going over yonder directly” and poor SWMBO, it took her the longest time to come to terms with the definition of directly, but she is coming around but still, she is a planner and on this occasion she planned on getting me on a death trap comprised of thin aluminum tubing with no room to accommodate my knees that hurtles through the firmament on a cause of one or more mostly controlled continuous explosions that have to work the whole time, every time or else you plummet for several minutes to the waiting arms of Mother Gaia while pondering the error of your ways and all the things you should have done and the hottie that hit on you twenty years ago that you didn’t get nekkid with because..., well, you really don’t have a good excuse, you just didn’t and just before you get mooshed with all the other infortuné into a mélange of DNA you say “well fuck” and SWMBO had to get me onto one of these thin walled death tubes and I am reluctant at the best of times and when it happens in the still dark when Gaia means for all primates to be safely tucked away, I am even more reluctant and SWMBO patiently but firmly herded me into lines of those who self identify as cattle and showed skeptical looking, uniformed people my passport and assured them that I was not impaired enough to be a risk to the public, it was just that I was conscious (sort of) at an hour that was not my wont and usually when SWMBO herds me onto one of these metallic, tubic banes of sensible people, she assuages my ill ease with a Bloody Mary and a chill pill but the purveyors of airport Bloody Marys had more sense than to be out and about at an hour when lycanthropes still wander and there were no medicinal Bloody Marys to be had and I got squished into a narrow uncomfortable seat surrounded on all sides by the unwashed hoi polli, and seriously, one of them sitting behind us was truly unwashed and of a lower caste and SWMBO held my, um, we’ll call it hand as the aircraft hurtled down the tarmac and ascended to parts where living men are not meant to be BUT when we leveled off, at the edge of space, a pretty lady wandered by and asked if we would like anything to drink and SWMBO said “god yes! Please give him a double Bloody Mary to start and we’ll talk later” and directly the pretty lady returned with two itty bitty bottles of vodka, I mean seriously itty bitty bottles and a can of something that self identified as Bloody Mary mix and I was supposed to wash down a whole chill pill with those two itty bitty bottles? Seriously? I managed because aside from being sweet and kind of adorable I am known for my stoicism in the face of difficult circumstances like this and my foot began to itch and there is no way for anyone over 5’2” with a normal femur length to scrunch over in an aluminum tube that self identifies as a sardine can and scratch ones foot and I had to endure and I cannot abide unrequited itches so I silently wept a little and that was the first part of our adventure on the way to Quebec. Coming up directly; I got to scratch my foot!

3 hours ago, Christian said:

WTF??????

Doctors and their staff, often forget to tell you, that if you are taking opioid pain meds, you may not be able to poop for several days, unless you take laxatives to loosen things up.

Crush a couple of dilaudids, roll it in to a fat reefer, get smooooth. Or so I've been told

On 2/24/2018 at 7:17 AM, billy backstay said:

Doctors and their staff, often forget to tell you, that if you are taking opioid pain meds, you may not be able to poop for several days, unless you take laxatives to loosen things up.

What the f does this have to do with me (in your post)?

6 hours ago, Christian said:

What the f does this have to do with me (in your post)?

I mentioned in a subsequent post somewhere, that I accidentally quoted you, instead of Point Break...

On 2/27/2018 at 6:53 AM, billy backstay said:

I mentioned in a subsequent post somewhere, that I accidentally quoted you, instead of Point Break...

Smoke fewer ski socks while computing

So 8 days post op. Dressings off. Took a shower. Only use the walker in the shower, using a cane to get around the house, two when I get tired. Pain still pretty big, so still using the Oxy once or twice a day. Looking forward to getting off that too. Sleep sucks....that should improve next week.

16 hours ago, Point Break said:

So 8 days post op. Dressings off. Took a shower. Only use the walker in the shower, using a cane to get around the house, two when I get tired. Pain still pretty big, so still using the Oxy once or twice a day. Looking forward to getting off that too. Sleep sucks....that should improve next week.

Sounds like progress - sorry you're still hurting - but, as my Doc friends like to say, it's better to treat it early than to wait 'til it gets so bad that you have to take MORE to cut thru the pain.    

20 hours ago, Point Break said:

Man PB, that is quick.  Sounds like my first one 10 yrs ago.  (2nd was when I fell and broke femur in 3 places leading to 3rd surgery to fix 2nd one.  :) ) . Good luck getting back.  Hopefully you will be fat and happy again in a couple weeks.  My doc said I could ski nxt season if I wanted(they actually have a ski club based around us cripples through the office) and the only restrictions are up to me basically.  Well no bobsledding, ski jumping or bull riding, but I gave those up a long time ago... good luck 

4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Sounds like progress - sorry you're still hurting - but, as my Doc friends like to say, it's better to treat it early than to wait 'til it gets so bad that you have to take MORE to cut thru the pain.    

Understood. I keep trying to taper down but run into real unhappy moments eventually. I have moved myself from every 6 hours to just when it does not respond to the Tylenol. I’ll get there. A little pain is okay. 

42 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Man PB, that is quick.  Sounds like my first one 10 yrs ago.  (2nd was when I fell and broke femur in 3 places leading to 3rd surgery to fix 2nd one.  :) ) . Good luck getting back.  Hopefully you will be fat and happy again in a couple weeks.  My doc said I could ski nxt season if I wanted(they actually have a ski club based around us cripples through the office) and the only restrictions are up to me basically.  Well no bobsledding, ski jumping or bull riding, but I gave those up a long time ago... good luck 

I remember your multiple surgeries after the fall. It didn’t sound fun.

I had a funny exchange with my surgeon about what things I like to do that I can reasonably expect to do again. Going down the list.....surfing - yes......hiking - yes.......sailing - yes.....cycling - yes.......scuba - yes........snow ski? He smiled at me and said.......”well, skiing wouldn’t be a problem.....falling would be.....your call.” We had a laugh. 

I hate to break up the thread drift (Hope you're doing better PB) but I just got finished with my first air travel in 8 years and witnessed some remarkably stupid airport details.  

We managed to get weather cancellations for both the outbound and homebound major flights, so we had to do sort of a scenic tour of the ABC Islands as well as JFK to get to where we were going.  On the way home, we had to spend 4 hours in Curacao, in a terminal which I swear was  less than 60 degrees F.  We were in our winter jackets by the end of that, and the locals were bundled up like eskimos.  Then when we got to JFK. I was slightly sweating in shorts and a polo shirt despite the 40 degree F outside temp.  I can only imagine how many dinosaurs were used to manipulate the real temperature.

In security follies, I brought 2 small aerosol cans of deet through 4 security checkpoints before the clown manning the 5th one in Curacao decided those couldn't be in carry-on, a bit of silliness which pales in comparison to Mrs Nettles' unwitting posession of her pocketknife though all four of our return security checks, surviving even a physical inspection when the surliest TSA guy I have ever seen rifled through our carry ons to check out our dive regulators.

I was shaking my head....

On 2/9/2018 at 8:37 PM, Major Tom said:

Dubai is a total nightmare, most of the time you arrive there in the early hours of the morning, there are literally millions of people trying to get to their gates, heading there tomorrow night on my way home from Geneva, not looking forward to the experience.

SWMBO and I just flew in and out of Dubai a couple of weeks ago.  It was evening out and daytime in - and the airport was empty.  It was a ghost town!  It took about 30 sec to get through immigration (electronic ID card).  Loved it!

For US flights, I prefer flying out of Abu Dhabi since they have the US Pre-clearance there.  It rocks.  I can usually be through US customs and border control in about 5 min and then when you arrive in the US, you walk out of the gate and go direct to the baggage pickup as if you were flying domestic.  You skip US customs once you arrive in the US.  SOOOOO easy!  I've flown into JFK and LAX numerous times and have been at my connecting gate in under 20 min from de-planning the international flight.  

On 2/9/2018 at 9:23 PM, Ed Lada said:

In my opinion, the worst airport I have ever been to is LHR, Heathrow.  Never again!   What a fucking zoo.

Concur!  I hate LHR

On 2/17/2018 at 1:38 PM, knucklehead said:

Best large airport: Changi, Singapore

Best small airport: Koh Samui, Thailand

Worst: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, but I'm sure there are worse. Pity, really, Ethiopian Airlines are not bad at all, but their hub is a hell-hole.. 

I'm going to have to put Cairo up there as one of the worst airports.  I can't quite put my finger on why, as we had no specific issues.  But it just had a bad vibe and was really old and run down.  Air Egypt lost one of our dive gear bags in Cairo and they just couldn't be bothered to send it on the next flight without some serious screaming on the phone by the airline agent in the podunk airport on the red sea.  Security on the way out was a nightmare and we had to actually convince someone to go wake up the customs guy so we could get our exit stamp to leave on time.  It was all some serious "inshallah" going on.

On 3/1/2018 at 6:02 AM, Point Break said:

Glad you pulled through!!!  Well done.  Get better.

I'm reminiscing back to previous travels and about 5 years ago, Kuala Lumpur was a nightmare.  You had to buy a bus ticket from the international terminal to the domestic terminal and the trip was like 30-45 min out into the surrounding town and then back into the back side of the airport.  We barely made our connecting flight with literally 5 min to spare.  However, its better now.  Just came back through there a few months ago and they now have direct tram/train shuttle between terminals.  Its still like a 15-20 min ride, but way better than before.  It sucks you still have to actually buy a ticket to get between terminals though....

I think #1 worst for me was Domodedovo airport in Moscow.  I was taking an internal Aeroflot flight from Moscow to Rostov.  This was late 90s, but I swear I had been teleported back to the 1950s.  There terminal was a shithole and you didn't dare put your luggage on the checked carosel or you would never see it again because it would be stolen.  You physically had to drag your bags to the tarmac by the jet to be manually loaded into the hold where you could see it go on.  When we were finally bused out to the plane and were told by our handler to literally sprint for the airstairs and to knock old women and children out of the way if we had to to get to the front of the plane otherwise you might not even get a seat.  She said you would understand when you boarded.  Sure enough, as soon as the bus doors opened it was from a scene out of the running of the bulls in spain.  Holy shit!  Pieces of overhead ceiling we hanging down you could see the electrical wires and hydraulic lines right above you, sometimes the seat backs just failed and the person in front would crash into the knees of the person behind.  It was the most harrowing 3 hour flight of my life in this old POS 1960s russian jetliner.  

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Glad you pulled through!!!  Well done.  Get better.

Thanks Jeff. Kind of you. Just had the 6 week checkup. X-rays show the placement of the devices is perfect. Got cleared to swim and sail. Haven’t had the boat out for well over 2 years...so it’s high on my list! No surfing or SUP yet...probably 2 more months for that. Glad to get back in the pool though! Walking about a mile a day. Got cleared for more arduous “hiking” on uneven ground and hills. Looking forward to getting out on the local trails again and working up some distance. On a side note, although I was VERY glad to have it, I was really happy to get off the oxycodone after about two weeks. I hate that shit. How people abuse it is totally beyond me. 

Seriously I can't believe anyone has not mentioned Newark. I have absolutely NOTHING good to say about that god forsaken place. I have NEVER gone through that place without some type of delay, gate change, missed gate change, stop for Beduins crossing goats across a taxi way, crash involving a golf cart, etc... Really, talk about an inefficient place. 

Don't get me started with UAL's regional service. 

13 minutes ago, Vin said:

Seriously I can't believe anyone has not mentioned Newark. I have absolutely NOTHING good to say about that god forsaken place. I have NEVER gone through that place without some type of delay, gate change, missed gate change, stop for Beduins crossing goats across a taxi way, crash involving a golf cart, etc... Really, talk about an inefficient place. 

Newark is somewhere in Afghanistan or Pakistan, right?

10 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Concur!  I hate LHR

Your chance to own a little piece all of your own. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43656024

Entire contents of Heathrow Terminal 1 to be sold off

Terminal 1 signImage copyrightCAGP Image captionYou could be the lucky owner of this sign... and everything else inside Heathrow Airport's Terminal 1

Items from baggage carousels to check-in desks are going under the hammer as the entire contents of Heathrow Airport's Terminal 1 is sold.

18 minutes ago, mad said:
10 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Concur!  I hate LHR

Your chance to own a little piece all of your own. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43656024

Entire contents of Heathrow Terminal 1 to be sold off

Terminal 1 signImage copyrightCAGP Image captionYou could be the lucky owner of this sign... and everything else inside Heathrow Airport's Terminal 1

Items from baggage carousels to check-in desks are going under the hammer as the entire contents of Heathrow Airport's Terminal 1 is sold.

Can I buy the little Bangladeshi guy who cleans the toilets near the West end of the baggage claim hall???  :ph34r::lol:

43 minutes ago, Vin said:

Almost every time I have flown back from Europe in the last 20 years I have almost always arrived in Newark, and Philly a couple of times.  Anything but JFK!  I actually have never had any trouble in Newark, arriving or departing.  

Of course next month I am going there via UAL, and then on to Cleveland, OH.  Watch United make a mockery of my statement above, now that I said something.

On 4/5/2018 at 11:57 PM, Ed Lada said:

Almost every time I have flown back from Europe in the last 20 years I have almost always arrived in Newark, and Philly a couple of times.  Anything but JFK!  I actually have never had any trouble in Newark, arriving or departing.  

Of course next month I am going there via UAL, and then on to Cleveland, OH.  Watch United make a mockery of my statement above, now that I said something.

I've flown into JFK several times just this year.  Never had an issue.  What's wrong with JFK?

On 4/5/2018 at 12:11 PM, Vin said:

+1. I spent a 12-hour delay there once just a couple of years ago. The fact that I had to pay for Wi-Fi puts EWR at the top of my list of stupid airports. Must be the only airport in the developed world that does that.

On the bright side, the airline (Alaska) had managed to re-book most of the pax onto other flights. By the time we took off, there were only about half a dozen pax remaining in cattle class, (which had originally been nearly full) and the FA's were giving away all the food and booze for free.