• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Crash

Sailing & Racing in/near Manchester UK

There's a better than average chance that Mrs. Crash takes on a 2 year stint in Manchester (UK) starting late summer or early fall.  Having lived in the Colonies my whole life, my knowledge of the sailing scene in the UK (other than Cowes Week or the Fastnet Race) is pretty lacking.  Is there any sailing nearby? Liverpool?

Thanks in advance,

Crash

Manchester is about 50 miles inland - damn near as far as you can get from the sea in England.

Liverpool would be the closest salt water.

2 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Dinghy or yacht? Good dinghy racing nearby,  not so sure about bigger boats, though.

Cheers, 

W.

Most of my sailing racing has been on yachts, but I'm not picky...and getting into dinghy racing for a couple years might be fun...and teach me a bunch:rolleyes:

The legendary West Kirby Sailing Club, home of the Wilson Trophy.

Plenty of puddle sailing in all directions. Just depends on which side of the city you're based. Elton, Hollingworth, Glossop & District probably the pick ... Combes, Todmoden, Dove Stone?, Macclesfield?

Largest water near by would be Leigh & Lowton. Most active/most competitive racing probably Bolton. It's a wonderful club but not much added value in travelling to West Kirby to be honest unless you're into team racing. Their dinghy sailing is on the marine lake and keelboat stuff is highly tide dependent. There are other clubs on the Wiral worth checking out for trad style keelboat sailing.

If it bigger stuff that floats your boat then be prepared for the trek to Pwllethi.

If you go to the RYA PYonline site maps page - http://www.pyonline.org.uk/map-clubs.php - you can zoom in on an area and see which clubs in the area particpate in the RYA Portsmouth Yardstick racing, which in practice means active dinghy racing clubs. 

Hi,

As posted above, lots of good dinghy racing nearby. For coastal sailing bear in mind that if you are able to settle to the north of Manchester, then you will be less than four hours drive away from the Clyde Coast (or possibly less if you fly to, say, Glasgow).

There are marinas at intervals up the Clyde- Stranraer, Troon, Ardrossan, Largs, Kip, Greenock, Helensburgh etc. With a bit more travel time you can get to Bute, Portavadie, Tarbert and more.

Depends what you are looking for, of course, but these are some of the best cruising grounds in the world:

http://www.sailscotland.co.uk/

There's some racing there, too, though you're obviously looking at weekends, not midweek: I don't think you'll find any really good midweek yacht racing near Manchester but it's not something I've personally researched, so I may be flat out wrong about that!!

I've heard of people who live in the north joining south coast yacht clubs (eg Hayling Island SC) and flying down to join yacht racing there- The south coast, Solent etc is the epicentre of sailing in the UK, so if racing is your thing then it'll offer the best opportunities.

Scotland will be more interesting, though: I've listed Clyde based options above because access is easier. The West Coast and islands are harder to reach but offer an experience on another level. You could spend a lifetime sailing the West Coast of Scotland without getting bored, and many people have.

Cheers,

W.

Hi again,

Sorry for the late addition to the above but I just looked more closely at your original post and noticed:

1. You live in Southern California
  2. You will likely be arriving in Autumn.

...I'm having second thoughts about suggesting you to come to Scotland. Just checking- do you know what to expect?

Cheers,

W.

:lol: SoCal people like to stay indoors when the temperature drops into the 60's.

I doubt Scottish weather ever suits them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

:lol: SoCal people like to stay indoors when the temperature drops into the 60's.

I doubt Scottish weather ever suits them.

When Scottish temperatures soar into the 60s, they call it a heatwave :D

And in the west of Scotland, a whole morning or afternoon without rain is called a drought :D

If you're dinghy sailing, you'll live in a wetsuit.  And on keelboats, you'll be in fleeces and oilskins

6 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Hi again,

Sorry for the late addition to the above but I just looked more closely at your original post and noticed:

1. You live in Southern California
  2. You will likely be arriving in Autumn.

...I'm having second thoughts about suggesting you to come to Scotland. Just checking- do you know what to expect?

Cheers,

W.

I'm not a native Southern Californian....I'm a camp follower who's been here for 3.5 years now.  I grew up in New York State, about 75 miles north of New York City, so have some tolerance left for less than perfect weather.  :rolleyes:

I also like to ski, so I know the secret to enjoying a sport in less than beautiful weather is to buy and wear the right gear for the conditions ...

Liverpool Yacht Club offer Sunday keelboat racing around the cans through the winter, don't think you have difficulty getting a crewing position.

I'm a member of West Kirby SC but if I was in Manchester I'd dinghy sail at Leigh & Lowton.

http://www.lyc.org.uk

On 09/02/2018 at 4:50 PM, WGWarburton said:

I've heard of people who live in the north joining south coast yacht clubs (eg Hayling Island SC) and flying down to join yacht racing there-

Hayling Island SC is a primarily a dinghy and small keelboat club. There is yacht racing but you wouldn't travel from Manchester for it. You are however correct that people travel from northern England for Solent racing, just not at HISC (which isn't in the Solent).

As someone else has suggested, Pwilheli is a hell of a lot nearer Manchester than either the Solent or the Clyde.

47 minutes ago, knobblyoldjimbo said:

Hang on a minute - the guy's going to MANCHESTER - NOT Scotland, NOT Hayling Island.

C'mon already!

Yes.... but Britain is a small country and the keelboat sailing adjacent to Manchester isn't the best...

L+L definitely worth a look for dinghy racing.

Cheers,

W.

11 hours ago, knobblyoldjimbo said:

Hang on a minute - the guy's going to MANCHESTER - NOT Scotland, NOT Hayling Island.

There was a well known owner who lived near Manchester and had a succession of Solent-based race boats. He made the journey 20-25 times a year and did so for at least a decade. It's a choice some people make. Would I? Hell, no.

On 09/02/2018 at 6:33 PM, TwoLegged said:

When Scottish temperatures soar into the 60s, they call it a heatwave :D

And in the west of Scotland, a whole morning or afternoon without rain is called a drought :D

If you're dinghy sailing, you'll live in a wetsuit.  And on keelboats, you'll be in fleeces and oilskins

and don't forget these little fuckers!!!!!

image.jpg

Liverpool is a bit of a drive but I can’t talk the LYC up enough. Marvelous bunch of people, very social and a keen mob of yachries who race out on the Mersey practically every weekend and have a number of races around the top of Wales, Isle of Mann and Ireland. 

You could do worse then head over to my old club.