Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

Holiday itinerary suggestions, Spain.

I've 12 weeks paid leave due. Only taking 6.

I've been procrastinating where to go but as my best friends are in Belgium and Greece, Kos, I need to go see em.

Apart from that I've decided to spend at least 3 weeks in Spain. (I've been to the Prado in Madrid, and that's all.

Alhambra is a must. Any less well known Moorish gems?

Apart from that, I'd like to see any less traveled parts of Spain..avoiding the package tour places like Barcelona.( I actually don't like the Gaudi stuff :) )

so..I'll be traveling late May..Bugger is that I'm doing the 3 points of a triangle..Spain-Belgium-Greece...What order? Start Greece, go north and take in some eastern europe..or start Spain? I dunno :)

any suggestions re the most efficient route to take for sightseeing purposes?

I'll be staying in hostels (IYHA) and Pensions traveling by train with maybe the odd car hire. (budget tight)

I've spent a lot of time in France and Western Europe generally, so don't want the big sights. 

Spain is a big county..I don't know where to start. So if anyone can give me the names of provinces or places I'll research.

I like the off the beaten track picturesque and culture, quiet places with charm rather than the coastal beaches thing.

Go to croatia...pack light...rent a small motorscooter....travel from island to island by ferry with your scooter...bed and breakfast everywhere. The islands have very few cars.  Costs are modest. A rental car could work...but is complicated for some of the very small islands....as you can see the small ferries dont transport cars

the Islands are unique ...thier way of life is changing fast.....in twenty years they will be gone 

this tour could easily take a month or more.

summer is very hot with extra tourist presuure

summer is the months that kids are out of school...busy

early or late summer is best

the islands..the coast ..are the   Front line of the Greek, Roman,  Venitian, ottoman, austro hungarian empires

plenty to see.

Avoid dubrovnik 

IMG_8084.JPG

I like the very un- touristy parts of Andalusia. Cadiz, Puerto Santa Maria area.  No drunk Brits or Germans, cheap and food is great.  Not too far from Grenada if already going to Alhambra. Sevilla is wonderful.  Their gothic cathedral and Chris Columbus tomb is one of my favorite things in Europe.

More touristy but Ronda is worth it, Basque country is cool and once again food is great, but imho food is awesome everywhere in Spain

Portugal?

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Spain is a big county..I don't know where to start. So if anyone can give me the names of provinces or places I'll research.

Maybe go to the library and look at a map...

Toledo, as a one-day excursion from Madrid, by train. And Santiago de Compostela definitely, whether you're into the spiritual stuff or not. For at least one night splurge and stay at a Parador, like the Hostal dos Reys Católicos. Seafood in Galícia and Asturias is excellent, but perhaps not that exotic for an Australian

7 hours ago, 2slow said:

I like the very un- touristy parts of Andalusia. Cadiz, Puerto Santa Maria area.  No drunk Brits or Germans, cheap and food is great.  Not too far from Grenada if already going to Alhambra. Sevilla is wonderful.  Their gothic cathedral and Chris Columbus tomb is one of my favorite things in Europe.

More touristy but Ronda is worth it, Basque country is cool and once again food is great, but imho food is awesome everywhere in Spain

Portugal?

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for..some places to start researching.without the broiled and Fish and chip brigade. Two three weeks one has to be selective.

6 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

I want your job with 12 weeks off. You must work for the government somewhere.

Long service leave...every employed person in Oz, gub or private is entitled to 10-12 weeks paid leave after 10 years service..on top of 4 weeks annual leave, yep we let our slaves off for more than two weeks a year.

6 hours ago, Xlot said:

Toledo, as a one-day excursion from Madrid, by train. And Santiago de Compostela definitely, whether you're into the spiritual stuff or not. For at least one night splurge and stay at a Parador, like the Hostal dos Reys Católicos. Seafood in Galícia and Asturias is excellent, but perhaps not that exotic for an Australian

Thanks, I'll look those up too..Damascus sword smithy would be cool .

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for..some places to start researching.without the broiled and Fish and chip brigade. Two three weeks one has to be selective.

Lonely Planet guide - look for all the top recommended spots, eliminate them, see what's left..... maybe check the popular places where the Brits buy apartments, eliminate them too, go from there.

Sart with one place you *really* want to see as an anchor point then work away.

FKT

James Michener wrote a book called Iberia in the 60s about his travels through Spain

You might want to read that book and possibly get some ideas from it. It's a good read

and it's wandering I think I'll do..a few set rendezvous like Cordoba and Granada and take local buses to eventually get somewhere else..I like doing the back roads in those old rattlers..you see a a lot off the motorways and as long as you have a local timetable and a bit of local background, get on and off as you please.

Don't know where to start...  I'm a bit biased because I live here, but Galicia is a must. 

I'll try to give you general advice because there are too many things and places to see.

First of all, May is HOT in the South, so do that first, also, as you may already know, there's always some local festivities somewhere, and they are usually worth going.

On this link I've found you'll see a list of most of them:  https://en.fiestas.net/ You can ask me once you've filtered which may  be interested and I'll tell you what's worth and what not.

Travelling by bus is cheap but also consider trains.

What are you interested in? History, art, nature, wineries, food (steaks, fish, seafood...)?

PS: My six yo son says you MUST go to the Santiago Bernabeu...;-)

15 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Don't know where to start...  I'm a bit biased because I live here, but Galicia is a must. 

I'll try to give you general advice because there are too many things and places to see.

First of all, May is HOT in the South, so do that first, also, as you may already know, there's always some local festivities somewhere, and they are usually worth going.

On this link I've found you'll see a list of most of them:  https://en.fiestas.net/ You can ask me once you've filtered which may  be interested and I'll tell you what's worth and what not.

Travelling by bus is cheap but also consider trains.

What are you interested in? History, art, nature, wineries, food (steaks, fish, seafood...)?

PS: My six yo son says you MUST go to the Santiago Bernabeu...;-)

Thanks for all that..Galicia is already on my list (not sure about Combarro, looks lovely but I'm thinking it would be swarming with tourists) 

Of course Spain is huge so I'll be picking maybe three small areas to explore..three weeks will only get me a taste.

If you can recommend an area in Galicia that's on the coast but less touristed I'd be grateful.

I'm particularly interested in local architecture (like the houses in Combarro and those round houses) and the moorish history so I thought I might start with some lesser known sights and build up to Alhambra.

Music..any real "folk" or classical guitar. So I'm grateful for your festivals link....Not really into the big re enactment things.

I'll be on a tight budget ..about 100US a day so planing on staying in hostels in the city and small family run "pensions" in more rural areas..Food..Prolly be living on bread, tomatoes, tapas and whatever I pick up at the markets  with one or two good lunches a week .

I'll be taking a sketch book to amuse myself so picturesque and simple places are the goal outside of the cities.

How hot in June..I can cope with 35c if its dry heat :D

Within the 6 weeks I'm pretty flexible and can even stretch that out if my money lasts. 

On 10/2/2018 at 11:21 PM, Shortforbob said:

Thanks for all that..Galicia is already on my list (not sure about Combarro, looks lovely but I'm thinking it would be swarming with tourists) No swarms in Galicia, except maybe Sanxenxo, Santiago and Bayona, at least compared to the rest of Spain. 

Of course Spain is huge so I'll be picking maybe three small areas to explore..three weeks will only get me a taste. 

If you can recommend an area in Galicia that's on the coast but less touristed I'd be grateful. You'll be fine in Galicia in May, but the further north you go, the less crowded it'll be, and the weather less pleasing. San Andrés de Teixido (legend says that if you don't go alive, your soul will have to go later...), Redes (used to be my little secret but they filmed a TV show there and now's sometimes crowded, although in May you'll be alone there), Fragas del Eume and Caaveiro Monastery (it's a river but worth the visit), Cape Finisterre, Lugo coast... I'd recommend that you continue your trip all the way through the North coast to Asturias, Cantabria and Basque Country.

I'm particularly interested in local architecture (like the houses in Combarro and those round houses) and the moorish history so I thought I might start with some lesser known sights and build up to Alhambra.  Santiago de Compostela, Ribadavia, Monforte, Mondoñedo, Tuy, downtown Pontevedra and of course Combarro are all worth the visit. You'll find great architecture mixed with horrible 1960's and 70's constructions, but that's how it is. The "Castros" (those round houses you mention) are the traditional towns where the Celts lived before the romans came visit, lots of them all around Galicia. The moors only came to Galicia to raid and destroy, so nothing to see here. Cordoba and Granada are the best to see in that regard. If you like architecture, churches, pazos (palaces)  and monasteries are what you are looking for in Galicia, there aren't many interesting castles here but the mouth of Ferrol Bay is pretty cool with two 18th. century defensive castles). Bayona is a good place to visit as well, but it is full of tourists in the summer. The interior of Spain is full of incredible architecture.

Music..any real "folk" or classical guitar. So I'm grateful for your festivals link....Not really into the big re enactment things. In Andalucía there'll be a lot of "ferias" in May (Sanlúcar, Jerez...) thousands of people drinking, singing and basically, partying, but with interesting cultural events at the same time. For good music, Madrid and Sevilla are the best. In Galicia you'll find a lot of local folk music too but I'm warning you, we play bagpipes here...

I'll be on a tight budget ..about 100US a day so planing on staying in hostels in the city and small family run "pensions" in more rural areas..Food..Prolly be living on bread, tomatoes, tapas and whatever I pick up at the markets  with one or two good lunches a week . I travel a lot around Spain for work and I gotta say booking.com will be your best friend. Food (and drinks) is pretty affordable here and extremely high quality as long as you run away from the touristic restaurants, you'll do better as further north you go, because there are less of them. I can tell you good places in Galicia later on. We still have a fresh market culture in Spain, so lots of good edibles to buy in local markets. BTW, In some places you'll be able to feed just by buying drinks, ask for a beer in Granada and they may  very well give a burger for a tapa, Lugo is also famous for that, Vigo as well. The thing is, not every bar gives good tapas.

I'll be taking a sketch book to amuse myself so picturesque and simple places are the goal outside of the cities. 

How hot in June..I can cope with 35c if its dry heat :D South of Madrid you may find yourself easily above +40ºC but very rarely North, except for the interior areas. Montoro (Cordoba) beat Spain's all time heat record last July, 47,3ºC.

Within the 6 weeks I'm pretty flexible and can even stretch that out if my money lasts. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all that..It's much better than books..I'll be in Greece by end of June gawd help me if it's that hot there. (it hits 42 or so in Melbourne occasionally) I'll live :)

1 hour ago, chuso007 said:

Hmm..looks like It would be better if I go first week of may rather than the last..might be a bit cooler.

Thanks again

:)

Ripped off another forum. What can I say? I love my mother land...

1. Ribadavia
15470019539_e0119b33c5_b.jpg

2. Praza da Leña, Pontevedra
plaza-pontevedra-636520446.jpg

3. Torre de Hércules, A Coruña. The oldest working lighthouse in the world, over 2000 years old (the old tower is inside that façade)
3469030374_e7467d9ff3_b.jpg

4. O Cebreiro
a_O-Cebreir-a.jpg

5. Bayona
1024px-Vista_do_porto_de_Baiona_desde_Mo

7. Panorámica de Mondoñedo 
Vista_panor%C3%A1mica_de_Mondo%C3%B1edo-

9. Una pequeña cala en las Islas Cíes
islas-c%C3%ADes-Foto-Josu.orbe1_.jpg

10. Allariz
6093_1240766370.jpg

11. Estaca de Bares
fotos+canon-9-05-07+102-2+AMA+3D-1-REC-P

12. Rúa Barrera, A Coruña
La-Coruna_15.jpg

13. Acantilados de Vixía Herbeira
4939778014_778574fc8b_b.jpg

14. Dunas de Corrubedo
dunas-y-humedal.jpg

15. Muros
a_Muro-a.jpg

16. Playa de Melide, Islas Ons
a_Playa-en-la-isla-de-On-a.jpg

17. Cañones del Sil
1280px-Mirador_de_Cabezoas_Ca%C3%B1on_de

18. Catedral de Santiago desde la Alameda
IMG5953ajuste.jpg

19. Combarro
7796142588_4ccb02cc91_b.jpg

20. Belesar
Copia%20(3)%20de%20IMGP2299_0.jpg

22. Cascada do Ézaro
6096412248_84e779471f_b.jpg

23.  San Andrés de Teixido, "vai de morto quen non vai de vivo"
3772737115_0246456dd5_b.jpg

24. Finisterre
4617633431_fe89f3b498_b.jpg

25. Vista aérea de Betanzos
4sz6vr.jpg

27. Parque de Bonaval, Santiago de Compostela
parquebonaval1.jpg

28. Playa de Las Catedrales
10playa3.jpg

29. Cabo Ortegal
CABO+ORTEGAL-001.jpg

30. Rúa da Raíña, Santiago de Compostela
274024515_c87dfb6bea_b.jpg

31.  Ourense y sus termas. also in working order since the Romans lived here.
3445407264_3cd71178eb_o.jpg

32. Serra do Courel
12_776665_manual.jpg

33. Lago, duna y playa de Doniños
DONI%C3%91OS-003.jpg

34. Caminando por la muralla de Lugo
94377750.jpg

35. Playa de Baleo
VILARUBE-BALEO-017.jpg

• Like 3

Vista nocturna desde el mirador de A Curota:

2hn2cew.jpg

Of course, the most immportant...

1272441987_1260349621_Pulpo1.jpg

Castillo de Castrocaldelas

12157205134_4316744bc4_c.jpg
Castillo Castro Caldelas por samueltz1, en Flickr

Ponte Nafonso

11331500175_bc99ec1fb7_c.jpg
Ponte Nafonso por samueltz1, en Flickr

Pontemaceira

11484389536_42041c52ed_c.jpg
Puente de Pontemaceira por samueltz1, en Flickr

Cascadas Río Barosa

8648833507_7ac99de2f1_c.jpg
Rio Barosa por samueltz1, en Flickr

8646841356_192c03c0d4_c.jpg
Entorno rio Barosa por samueltz1, en Flickr

8646840708_8b37f878e9_c.jpg
Cascada rio Barosa por samueltz1, en Flickr

Paseo sobre un río en Valga

8520017332_050e0c61df_c.jpg
Entorno molino por samueltz1, en Flickr

Playa en San Vicente

8531645256_2c8902d8f4_c.jpg
Playa por samueltz1, en Flickr

Cariño

8365915568_a69ed93f9f_c.jpg
Vista cariño por samueltz1, en Flickr

Santiago de Compostela

7853371862_31c18b0958_c.jpg
Fuegos Apóstol 2012 por samueltz1, en Flickr

Cabo Ortegal
7833486912_c765612b4c_c.jpg
Vista desde Cabo Ortegal por samueltz1, en Flickr

Playa San Xurxo

7632524708_8ed41b4118_c.jpg
Playa de San Xurxo por samueltz1, en Flickr

Acantilados en A Capelada

7612026190_de531003a1_c.jpg
Acantilados Serra da capelada por samueltz1, en Flickr

Torre de Hércules

5297008354_0902c47b0d_b.jpg
torre de hercules desde monte san pedro por samueltz1, en Flickr

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

I love my mother land...

nothing wrong with that .

Portugal seen from Spain (Santa Tecla), River Miño:

mino-rio-36.jpg

Vigo...

60680_616266858491411wukes.jpg

10547717_1020450212479msdt.jpg

11174930_1020565400678vsxm.jpg

1447191657091yns3g.jpg

Ferrol:

Por+la+noche+en+el+puerto.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mid said:

only 6 weeks chuso007 :P

Exactly, it's better to know where to go before you hop on a plane...:D

• Like 2

spectacular bloke but you've given 6yrs worth .

bet you've actually made the decision harder :P

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Exactly, it's better to know where to go before you hop on a plane...:D

Fantastic Photo's..just what I need, some idea of the different places.

Hopefully will be able to fly Melb to Madrid first week in May.

My lovely brother in law is springing for my ticket so I will have a bit more cash to splash on internal transport.

So far am thinking..Granada-Cordoba then up the western side (portugese border) to get to the northern coast and explore there. Caceres/merida

with a side trip to see don quixote's windmill country and Toledo and maybe get a train from Madrid to Galicia

Cediera looks like a nice place to use as a base?

Another question?

I was thinking that Galacia would be a good place to hire a car for a week so to explore the more out of the way places.

I've only ever driven on the left a couple of times (in rural france, on quieter two lane roads and small towns..How "mad" are drivers in Galacia on a scale of 1-10..1 being the UK and ten being greece :D

image.thumb.png.decc80bd89d590d0c37a366bb31fc222.png

How's this look?
from Granada, Spain

To: Cordoba
to Cáceres‎
to Consuegra (windmills)
to Toledo
to Combarro.

Anything I should see along that route, especillay between Toledo and combarro?

driving is ok for an Ozzie - pretend you are in Sydney !

my $0.02 - in Spain, plan to experience a few places, rather than 'seeing' alot of places.

8 hours ago, Merrill Levi said:

driving is ok for an Ozzie - pretend you are in Sydney !

my $0.02 - in Spain, plan to experience a few places, rather than 'seeing' alot of places.

Yep..intend to spend at least 10 nights in Andalusia and have frequent stop and chill breaks..betweem there and Galacia. not into whistle stop touring :)

12 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I've only ever driven on the left a couple of times (in rural france, on quieter two lane roads and small towns..

Er, may I suggest you don't push your luck any further, and in Spain drive on the right like a good native ..

And it's Galícia

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Er, may I suggest you don't push your luck any further, and in Spain drive on the right like a good native ..

And it's Galícia

:D yeah I've always been a bit confused about that...left hand drive..on the right

12 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

image.thumb.png.decc80bd89d590d0c37a366bb31fc222.png

How's this look?
from Granada, Spain

To: Cordoba
to Cáceres‎
to Consuegra (windmills)
to Toledo
to Combarro.

Anything I should see along that route, especillay between Toledo and combarro?

OK, I wouldn´t miss Sierra de Gredos (which you'll be driving across), Ávila, Salamanca, Puebla de Sanabria and Cañones del Sil on that route (and maybe Las Médulas). Ronda and Sevilla are worth the trip. And if I was only visiting one place in Galicia, it certainly wouldn't be Combarro.

A friend sent me this picture yesterday, Segovia (70km away from Ávila). It won't look like this in May  but it's definitely worth a visit along with Sepúlveda and Pedraza, which is a small village that hasn't changed in two centuries.

27750238_395708937507964_639357990406862

Segovia:

Alc%C3%A1zar_de_Segovia_(3).jpg

(Yes, Walt Disney was here)

Pedraza:

media-galerias-e-5-89-e58998e44ddd89ee7cç

The quality of the food (cordero and cabrito) in this area is beyond belief.

Stop stop! too many wonderful places..:)

Got ticket booked for 3 may..plenty of time to play with itinery.

Where would you stay for a quiet base in Galecia ? somewhere I can rest up a bit and chill for 5 days.

On 2/9/2018 at 10:26 PM, Shortforbob said:

and it's wandering I think I'll do..a few set rendezvous like Cordoba and Granada and take local buses to eventually get somewhere else..I like doing the back roads in those old rattlers..you see a a lot off the motorways and as long as you have a local timetable and a bit of local background, get on and off as you please.

Barcelona.  You should spend a week, at least.  Incredible, history, art, wine and TAPAS. . 

Tapas-in-Barcelona.jpg

We got an airbnb in Barrio Gotic.  

barrio-gotico.jpg

OK..I've got my trip booked as far as Caceres.

Madrid, Granada,Cordoba, Cartajima (Ronda) Seville, Merida, Carceres.

From there its a bloody long way to Galicia by bus....thinking I'll get a bus Caceres to Leon and hire a car from there to explore Asturias and Galicia..dropping the car at Pontevedra when I'll fly to Belgium and on to greece.

I'll have about 10 days to explore the villages and mountains and do some walking. Maybe buy a small tent and camp out..(I know it will probably be coolish and wet:D

any hints or tips on the best car hire in the area that will let me pick up in Leon and drop off at either Pontevedra or santiago?

On 2/13/2018 at 7:02 PM, chuso007 said:

Ripped off another forum. What can I say? I love my mother land...

1. Ribadavia
15470019539_e0119b33c5_b.jpg

2. Praza da Leña, Pontevedra
plaza-pontevedra-636520446.jpg

3. Torre de Hércules, A Coruña. The oldest working lighthouse in the world, over 2000 years old (the old tower is inside that façade)
3469030374_e7467d9ff3_b.jpg

4. O Cebreiro
a_O-Cebreir-a.jpg

5. Bayona
1024px-Vista_do_porto_de_Baiona_desde_Mo

7. Panorámica de Mondoñedo 
Vista_panor%C3%A1mica_de_Mondo%C3%B1edo-

9. Una pequeña cala en las Islas Cíes
islas-c%C3%ADes-Foto-Josu.orbe1_.jpg

10. Allariz
6093_1240766370.jpg

11. Estaca de Bares
fotos+canon-9-05-07+102-2+AMA+3D-1-REC-P

12. Rúa Barrera, A Coruña
La-Coruna_15.jpg

13. Acantilados de Vixía Herbeira
4939778014_778574fc8b_b.jpg

14. Dunas de Corrubedo
dunas-y-humedal.jpg

15. Muros
a_Muro-a.jpg

16. Playa de Melide, Islas Ons
a_Playa-en-la-isla-de-On-a.jpg

17. Cañones del Sil
1280px-Mirador_de_Cabezoas_Ca%C3%B1on_de

18. Catedral de Santiago desde la Alameda
IMG5953ajuste.jpg

19. Combarro
7796142588_4ccb02cc91_b.jpg

20. Belesar
Copia%20(3)%20de%20IMGP2299_0.jpg

22. Cascada do Ézaro
6096412248_84e779471f_b.jpg

23.  San Andrés de Teixido, "vai de morto quen non vai de vivo"
3772737115_0246456dd5_b.jpg

24. Finisterre
4617633431_fe89f3b498_b.jpg

25. Vista aérea de Betanzos
4sz6vr.jpg

27. Parque de Bonaval, Santiago de Compostela
parquebonaval1.jpg

28. Playa de Las Catedrales
10playa3.jpg

29. Cabo Ortegal
CABO+ORTEGAL-001.jpg

30. Rúa da Raíña, Santiago de Compostela
274024515_c87dfb6bea_b.jpg

31.  Ourense y sus termas. also in working order since the Romans lived here.
3445407264_3cd71178eb_o.jpg

32. Serra do Courel
12_776665_manual.jpg

33. Lago, duna y playa de Doniños
DONI%C3%91OS-003.jpg

34. Caminando por la muralla de Lugo
94377750.jpg

35. Playa de Baleo
VILARUBE-BALEO-017.jpg

Now I've got my head around it a bit..those pics are a great guide...How come they're so much better than the images on google? :)

Thanks again.

Cordoba go to Cordoba. 

Avoid Benidorm at all costs too many drunk Englishman fighting drunk Germans. 

50 story condos looks like anywhere not Spain. Just down the road is Javea nice beach crowed in July and August but Sailing club is a happy place. If you go say hello to MIL. 

6 hours ago, HuronBouy said:

Cordoba go to Cordoba. 

Avoid Benidorm at all costs too many drunk Englishman fighting drunk Germans. 

50 story condos looks like anywhere not Spain. Just down the road is Javea nice beach crowed in July and August but Sailing club is a happy place. If you go say hello to MIL. 

I'm spending 3 days in Cordoba. Avoiding the Costa Del Cheeeps like the plague :)

6 more sleeps Whoohoo :D

I'm "planned" up to Caceres..after that..dunno whether to turn west at the Portuguese border to or go north and eastish for a gander at the picos de Europa then west to galicia 

some kayaking looks fun.