• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
sail69

Check Your BoatUS Policy.

Carrier was CNA.   Had $0 deductible (after it "faded" away) and no depreciation on replacement parts.  

They recently changed the carrier to Geico and...

https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boatus.com%2Finsurance%2Flosses-depreciation.asp

Yes the change was in the fine print of my new policy and I should have noticed sooner.    

I will be cancelling my policy.

• Like 1

What's the issue?  I know of a guy that had his boat totaled by them.  They paid him $42,000 and resold the boat to him for $1,000.  He did the repairs for under $5,000, bought new electronics and pocketed the rest.  Best part is they are insuring the boat for him again

I had a claim with Geico Marine and had no problems with them either. In fact, I always thought BoatUS was managed by Geico.

Boat US was a employee owned managing agent, policy was underwritten by CNA.   Many people think they are/were part of the boaters lobbying/advocacy group, which all they share is a name; they are not.  The insurance side sold itself a number of years back.

Berkshire Hathaway bought Boat US and learned the business while starting a yacht/boat insurance co.   That was Seaworthy insurance, they changed to Geico Marine Insurance co to capitalize on the marketing.   Once that company was up and running they replaced CNA as the carrier. 

They are 100% out for themselves.  I am a broker and specialize in boats and yachts, if you want you can send me a PM and I can answer any questions or help you find coverage.

Thanks,

Tom Carroll

• Like 2

Yes the CNA policy was a lot better than the Geico one, but its still a pretty good value. ALWAYS check your policy for a depreciation schedule and navigation restrictions, they are very common.  Also, a lot of policies will have a racing exclusion in them. These can usually be removed for sailboats for no charge.

51 minutes ago, PirateDave said:

What's the issue?  I know of a guy that had his boat totaled by them.  They paid him $42,000 and resold the boat to him for $1,000.  He did the repairs for under $5,000, bought new electronics and pocketed the rest.  Best part is they are insuring the boat for him again

The issue is given my boats age (1981) I will getting 20 cents on the dollar for repairs...as opposed to 100.

Total the boat?  great...repair the boat?  Not great.

16 minutes ago, sail69 said:

The issue is given my boats age (1981) I will getting 20 cents on the dollar for repairs...as opposed to 100.

Most insurers are going to need a recent survey in order to waive depreciation with a boat that age. It will probably be worth the expense. 

Pay attention to how much you have to get your boat off the bottom of the lake/ocean. Many people end up using their coverage limits up with that and have nothing to replace their boat. Some policies say 5% of hull value... 

So whats the best insurance company to use for coastal sailing?

On 2/9/2018 at 10:42 AM, Mark Set said:

Most insurers are going to need a recent survey in order to waive depreciation with a boat that age. It will probably be worth the expense. 

wtf are they going to do with my 1964 alberg?  

So whats the best insurance company to use for coastal sailing?

or for a 43 year old lake boat that races 

I'm switching next month to Gowry group.  I was a BoatUS  member for 20 years (Still will be a member for the unlimited towing and because my best friend is a VP in the company) but since Geico took my policy over it has doubled.  I have never had a claim, never been in an accident, never even failed a USCG inspection, but yet my rates have gone up for the past 3 years and my deductible went up too....Gowrey gave me a quote almost 1/2 of Geico Marine for same coverage.

37 minutes ago, dacapo said:

I'm switching next month to Gowry group.  I was a BoatUS  member for 20 years (Still will be a member for the unlimited towing and because my best friend is a VP in the company) but since Geico took my policy over it has doubled.  I have never had a claim, never been in an accident, never even failed a USCG inspection, but yet my rates have gone up for the past 3 years and my deductible went up too....Gowrey gave me a quote almost 1/2 of Geico Marine for same coverage.

Thanks!  I will give them a shout and see.

Other than the rate difference, what about coverage?  How do you they handle depreciation on repairs?

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

wtf are they going to do with my 1964 alberg?  

If its in good condition and you have a survey from the last couple years that reflects that, they should give you full value.  If its fiberglass that is, if its wood youll have bigger problems.

1 hour ago, Mark Set said:

If its in good condition and you have a survey from the last couple years that reflects that, they should give you full value.  If its fiberglass that is, if its wood youll have bigger problems.

not sure how many surveyors in the middle of north texas..  or what he would say about a 19.5' boat.. but yes, it is fiberglass..   the problem is, the insurance companies think its an old boat (which it is) and isn't worth anything.. which it ain't..

I have some trouble understanding what the Boat US link is saying. If it’s what I think it is then I need to shop elsewhere for insurance.  

I had to get a survey before they would write any policy. There was an “agreed value” derived from that survey. But based on what I read here this 10% per year depreciation would be based on the year built- 1970, in my case? And has no relation to the “agreed value”? So, since I have long ago passed the maximum depreciation,  a 10K repair would be covered for only 20% of the repair cost, i.e. insurance would cover 2,000? This seems completely unreasonable in that the condition and the age of a boat are independent variables. I’m asking them for clarification. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

not sure how many surveyors in the middle of north texas..  or what he would say about a 19.5' boat.. but yes, it is fiberglass..   the problem is, the insurance companies think its an old boat (which it is) and isn't worth anything.. which it ain't..

When I owned cheaper boats they fit under the umbrella of my home insurance.

3 hours ago, Oceanconcepts said:

I have some trouble understanding what the Boat US link is saying. If it’s what I think it is then I need to shop elsewhere for insurance.  

I had to get a survey before they would write any policy. There was an “agreed value” derived from that survey. But based on what I read here this 10% per year depreciation would be based on the year built- 1970, in my case? And has no relation to the “agreed value”? So, since I have long ago passed the maximum depreciation,  a 10K repair would be covered for only 20% of the repair cost, i.e. insurance would cover 2,000? This seems completely unreasonable in that the condition and the age of a boat are independent variables. I’m asking them for clarification. 

Please report back.  I have the same policy.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I've been with Boat US 20 years, never made a claim, rate jumped 15% this year and now I know partial repairs will be depreciated 40%.  Time to look at other quotes.

I've sent an email and may call tomorrow if I don't hear back right away.  I looked at my policy, and this exact language is there, copied below. I don't know how to interpret it other than if you have a boat older than 20 years, you coverage for damage is dropping 10% per year to the point of covering only 20% of any partial loss (less deductible) after your boat's 28th birthday. If this is correct, that would seem to put a lot of people (like me) in the position of paying for next to no insurance on anything short of a total loss. Like many I have just sent checks to Boat US for many years on a variety of boats, never made a claim, and assumed the coverage was comparable with the recent change.

Kudos to Sail 69 for bringing this up. 

“We” will pay the reasonable cost of repairs or replacements, in accordance with quality marine repair practice, less depreciation. Depreciation shall be calculated at 10% for each year beginning with the 20th year from manufacture. In all cases, there shall remain no less than 20% residual value regardless of age. In the event of damage to plywood, plastic, fiberglass, metal, cement, or other molded material, “we” are obligated to pay only the reasonable cost of repairing the damaged area, in accordance with quality marine repair practice. If there is a covered loss requiring repainting of an “insured boat,” “we” will pay the cost of repainting or resurfacing the damaged area in accordance with customary marine repair practices so that the area repaired will match, as closely as practical, the original color. “We” have the option to make or reimburse “you” for repairs or replacements, or to pay “you” directly based on an agreed estimate of loss. Repairs and replacements will be made with like kind and quality. 

Any insurance pros that could weigh in on this language? Any hints on a good company to insure a 47 year old, rock solid cold molded wood boat with a good recent survey? 

9 hours ago, Oceanconcepts said:

I've sent an email and may call tomorrow if I don't hear back right away.  I looked at my policy, and this exact language is there, copied below. I don't know how to interpret it other than if you have a boat older than 20 years, you coverage for damage is dropping 10% per year to the point of covering only 20% of any partial loss (less deductible) after your boat's 28th birthday. If this is correct, that would seem to put a lot of people (like me) in the position of paying for next to no insurance on anything short of a total loss. Like many I have just sent checks to Boat US for many years on a variety of boats, never made a claim, and assumed the coverage was comparable with the recent change.

Kudos to Sail 69 for bringing this up. 

Any insurance pros that could weigh in on this language? Any hints on a good company to insure a 47 year old, rock solid cold molded wood boat with a good recent survey? 

As I said upthread, Geico is not in the business of writing generous policies and being lax with claims. They tout lower rates by limiting coverage and skimming the cream of the risk pool.

As you're in the Seattle area, I'd give Pemco a call. I used them when I bought my current (1993 vintage) boat in 2012 and was very surprised by how reasonable their coverage was. They were using an underwriter at the time and shortly thereafter brought Marine insurance in-house so things may have changed but my policy coverage and rates hasven't so it's worth a shot.

15 hours ago, Oceanconcepts said:

If you have agreed value the depreciation doesnt apply (that should be stated somewhere or there is a separate agreed value endorsement on the policy). There will be a specific $ amount agreed value for the hull shown in the policy itself.  Agreed value is what you want, you will need a recent survey to get it unless the boat is less than 10 years old at most.

15 hours ago, Ishmael said:

When I owned cheaper boats they fit under the umbrella of my home insurance.

Umbrella coverage refers to Liability only, though some home owners policies will include physical damage coverage for a small boat less than $2,000 or so and smaller than a certain size (all the companies are a little different).

Be careful that you aren't only carrying liability coverage when you think that you have hull coverage as well. People often think that their hull is insured for theft or damage because they have an insurance policy, but the policy is for liability only.

“We” will pay the reasonable cost of repairs or replacements, in accordance with quality marine repair practice, less depreciation. Depreciation shall be calculated at 10% for each year beginning with the 20th year from manufacture. In all cases, there shall remain no less than 20% residual value regardless of age. In the event of damage to plywood, plastic, fiberglass, metal, cement, or other molded material, “we” are obligated to pay only the reasonable cost of repairing the damaged area, in accordance with quality marine repair practice. If there is a covered loss requiring repainting of an “insured boat,” “we” will pay the cost of repainting or resurfacing the damaged area in accordance with customary marine repair practices so that the area repaired will match, as closely as practical, the original color. “We” have the option to make or reimburse “you” for repairs or replacements, or to pay “you” directly based on an agreed estimate of loss. Repairs and replacements will be made with like kind and quality. 

They are stating that depreciation only applies up to the point that the boat is worth 20% of its replacement cost, so at 47 years old they consider it to be worth 20% of whatever they determine the replacement cost is. So they will only pay 20% of the cost to replace parts or repair the laminate (at most, less the deductible). For a boat like that you really need to find a company that will give you agreed value on it based on the surveyors valuation. It sounds like that might not be an option with BoatUS Geico policy. Wood boats are tough to find coverage for though, some companies wont write them at all. You should ask around to other wood boat owners you might know in the area.

You should also check the Tow policy.  Yes, they will come get you if you are just a Boat US member.  However, if a member who has paid the extra tow insurance has a break down they will ditch you in mid-tow to go help the higher paying member.  Been there, got left on the hook in the ICW for 2 hrs hoping the guy would come back.  When he finally made it back he refused to tow us all the way home and ditched us again at the first marina we came to, (we were not being drunk assholes either.  Just a family outing with the grandparents and 2yr old on board).  The next day we went to get the boat only to run into it being towed the rest of the way back early that morning, (which they were planning on charging us another $300.00 for).  The guy would not let us have the boat until I told him he had not been contracted for this as we'd signed off on and paid for the tow the night before.  Since they had not been asked to tow the boat further he had basically stolen out boat and I was calling the cops.  Total nightmare.

In those situations it doesn't matter who you know at Boat US because all the tow operators are individual franchises..

I recently switched from Safeco to Boat US/Geico and now wonder if I made a bad decision. The boat in question is a Wilderness 30 prototype called an Un30 (but has always been insured as a Wilderness 30 since we bought her 21 years ago now). My local agent who has specialized in boat insurance in Santa Cruz for decades looked over the Boat US/Geico quote for me and told me to go for it because, according to her, she couldn't touch the rate and value with any of the carriers she works with.

Our boat is closing in on 40 years old now and we do have "agreed value" coverage. I did not have to get a survey, but I did have to send 5 or 6 pictures.

Safeco was great to work with, I have my cars (all but one which is with Hagerty that is) and our homeowners with them and received cross policy discounts for having them cover everything. After the 2011 tsunami Safeco jacked the rates way up for our policy because we are berthed in Santa Cruz harbor. The change made sense because of a great rate and the included Boat US towing (something I have never needed in almost 50 years of sailing but it gave my "Rear Admiral" peace of mind which is priceless).

Now I wonder if I should think about alternatives?

6 hours ago, Mark Set said:

They are stating that depreciation only applies up to the point that the boat is worth 20% of its replacement cost, so at 47 years old they consider it to be worth 20% of whatever they determine the replacement cost is.

Seems reasonable- my boat's market value per survey is more like 7% of what the survey listed as replacement cost to build new. But since I have an "agreed value" policy the language seems clear that a total loss will be paid on the basis of that agreed value, not in relation to a % of replacement cost or original cost. 

So they will only pay 20% of the cost to replace parts or repair the laminate (at most, less the deductible).

This is where I had my question- so If I lose the mast, or get T-boned by another boat while sitting peacefully at anchor, the policy pays only 20% of the actual cost of repairs, less deductible?  I can understand if the maximum repair they would pay would be 20% of the replacement value, but that doesn't seem to be what the language says. 

I called just now and gave my hypothetical example of 10,000 in damage. The representative confirmed that the maximum my policy would pay would be $2.000 less my deductible, or in my case $1250. At total loss would be covered to the agreed value. Basically I am uninsured for anything other than liability and total loss.

For a boat like that you really need to find a company that will give you agreed value on it based on the surveyors valuation. It sounds like that might not be an option with BoatUS Geico policy.

That's what I thought I had- the policy specifies "agreed hull value", and the numbers are there right on the page. They would only allow the agreed value to be the actual purchase price, since that was less than the surveyor's "estimated fair market value". This policy was put in place prior to the change to GEICO, however. 

Wood boats are tough to find coverage for though, some companies wont write them at all. You should ask around to other wood boat owners you might know in the area.

I've heard that, but the cold molded wood did not seem to be an issue except that they required a out of the water survey prior to writing the policy. I'd expect the same would be true of a FG boat that old as well, though. But come to think of it they required only an in water survey on my prior FG boat. 

20 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Please report back.  I have the same policy.

I didn't get an email reply, so I called. The representative confirmed that they will only cover repair bills subject to the depreciation schedule- after 20 years they will pay 10% less of any repair claims per year for every year of the boat's age, and at 28 and over they will pay a maximum of 20% of the cost of any repairs less the dedcutible. So if you have an older boat insured with Boat US, you effectively have only liability coverage and coverage for a total loss. 

I never had a claim, but I'm pretty sure Boat US did not work this way in the past. 

I am currently working on three repairs for which Boat US is the carrier. 

So far it is no where near as easy a process as when the carrier is Progresive, State Farm or USAA.

I have nothing more to say at this time 

12 hours ago, Oceanconcepts said:

I didn't get an email reply, so I called. The representative confirmed that they will only cover repair bills subject to the depreciation schedule- after 20 years they will pay 10% less of any repair claims per year for every year of the boat's age, and at 28 and over they will pay a maximum of 20% of the cost of any repairs less the dedcutible. So if you have an older boat insured with Boat US, you effectively have only liability coverage and coverage for a total loss. 

I never had a claim, but I'm pretty sure Boat US did not work this way in the past. 

I claim for a lightening strike about 6 years ago. They handled it very well. Also like their salvage/environmental coverage 

I’ve not been happy with premiums the last few years as they underwrite 3 boats on 3 different policies with no sign of any reduction in liability, etc. 

Talked to USAA a few years ago but survey requirement was offputting since I wasn’t hauling that spring. Maybe time to get some other quotes. 

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I claim for a lightening strike about 6 years ago. They handled it very well. Also like their salvage/environmental coverage 

I’ve not been happy with premiums the last few years as they underwrite 3 boats on 3 different policies with no sign of any reduction in liability, etc. 

Talked to USAA a few years ago but survey requirement was offputting since I wasn’t hauling that spring. Maybe time to get some other quotes. 

You've been a proponent of BoatUS in the past. I was curious about your take on these recent developments.

Here is how the OLD version of BOATUS worked:

I hit something unseen while under power and ever after had bad vibration. The yard diagnosed a bent prop and a bent shaft. BOATUS told me to have the yard fix it and fax them the bill. They paid no problem and they didn't even bitch about replacing the cutless bearing which was decades old and also didn't bitch about getting a new shaft. In the new system it wouldn't even be worth it to make a claim :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I am currently working on three repairs for which Boat US is the carrier. 

So far it is no where near as easy a process as when the carrier is Progresive, State Farm or USAA.

I have nothing more to say at this time 

Last time I checked USAA didn’t do marine insurance, they simply referred you to Geico with a discount. Has that changed?

11 minutes ago, Mizzmo said:

Last time I checked USAA didn’t do marine insurance, they simply referred you to Geico with a discount. Has that changed?

They will insure small boats directly. Like motorcycles, they will push out larger/more valuable boats to a “partner”. Not sure if it is geico or not these days. iIRC, it was progressive last time I asked for a quote but that has been several years. 

16 minutes ago, Mizzmo said:

Oh yeah it was progressive. Wish USAA would just expand to boating

They used to do boating and pulled back, my old boat was with USAA but I'm with Progressive now because that's who USAA referred me to when I got the new boat a few years ago.

I'm in the process of gathering quotes, so far no problems associated with having a wood hull- I do have a very good recent survey. The first quote I received was for about 25% less than my Boat US policy, with higher coverages on liability. Shopping around may pay off. I've never had a marine insurance claim, and don't intend to, but I'd like to know that my insurance actually provided, you know, insurance if I had some serious damage. 

To follow up on my fairly new policy with Boat US Geico I called them to ask about the depreciation schedule thing. I was told there is an addition to the policy, especially useful for sailboats because it covers spars, glass damage to the hull, etc. without depreciation. That addition (rider?) is called "Partial Waiver of Depreciation." Cost seemed reasonable (she didn't know exactly but somewhere around $50-75 per year). Problem is this added coverage is currently only available in 48 states and California is one of the two it is not yet approved by the State Insurance Commissioner's office. Not sure why. I sent a complaint off to said office requesting an explanation why and am awaiting a response. I'll post back to this thread as I learn more.

Any insurance experts following the thread know why this might be?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, msvphoto said:

To follow up on my fairly new policy with Boat US Geico I called them to ask about the depreciation schedule thing. I was told there is an addition to the policy, especially useful for sailboats because it covers spars, glass damage to the hull, etc. without depreciation. That addition (rider?) is called "Partial Waiver of Depreciation." Cost seemed reasonable (she didn't know exactly but somewhere around $50-75 per year). Problem is this added coverage is currently only available in 48 states and California is one of the two it is not yet approved by the State Insurance Commissioner's office. Not sure why. I sent a complaint off to said office requesting an explanation why and am awaiting a response. I'll post back to this thread as I learn more.

I’d like to hear more. What is the other state where it’s not available?

35 minutes ago, msvphoto said:

Whenever insurance companies want to change their policy forms or their rating structure it has to be approved by each and every state (insurance is all regulated at the state level). Some states are slower and more bureaucratic than others, so it takes longer for them to approve it.

I have two quotes now, one is 25% less than Boat US but did not cover any rig damage (the rig could be brand new, but if the hull is older and the boat is wood, no coverage). The other (through State Farm, I have a number of business and personal policies with them) is almost half the cost of the Boat US policy. It covers everything to replacement value.  Both quotes have higher coverages and a lower deductible. I've read the policies and neither of them has anything like the GEICO language concerning the age of the hull reducing the % of repairs they cover. The State Farm policy covers much more with respect to limits to navigation. 

I was not told when I talked to Boat US about any rider for waiving the deductible, just that for a boat over 28 years old they would pay a maximum of 20% of any repairs, less deductible. I'd be curious about this. If it's available I would think almost 100% of owners of older boats would go for it.

As it stands it appears Boat US snuck in this very substantial reduction in coverage when they went to GEICO, and did not notify customers with older boats. Just a cheery "everything's all good, nothing to see here" when the underwriting changed.  From postings upthread it is apparent that such deductibles were not the way things worked in the past. Of course, everyone should read the fine print on their policies, but dealing with the same (apparent) company I'm guessing few did- including me. Kudos to Sail69.

I'm unwilling to give Boat US the benefit of the doubt after this exercise in customer non-communication, even if a rider is available and the cost were the same. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all this great info.  I will be looking into these options.

What are other's insurance costs for old boats?  Mine has nearly doubled in the last two years and seems rather high.  $7,500 declared value and $400 deductible for a 39 year old 26' fiberglass boat.  Never had a claim.  In a marina on the coast that doesn't get hurricanes.  Over $500 a year.

About the same, but my boat has a much higher declared value. 

My last boat that was on your dock was about $300/year and had a $25k declared value. 

I'm using State Farm. 

Through State Farm I got $300 K liability, $35,000 declared value, $250 deductible for $482/ year. That's on a 47 year old cold molded wood boat. Navigation limits are anywhere in the US or Canada up to 75 miles offshore.

I  think diesel lowers the rates over gas, and liability amount matters, but $500+ for a 26' boat with that value seems high. My Boat US policy was going up to almost $900 though, with higher deductibles and, as the thread points out, almost no coverage for damage. 

My insurance will pay for tsunami haulout costs.  I'm sure that will come in real handy.  Just need to improve tsunami warning times from 10 minutes to 10 days.  Might as well insure against ghost pirates and kraken attacks too.

12 hours ago, Oceanconcepts said:

Through State Farm I got $300 K liability, $35,000 declared value, $250 deductible for $482/ year. That's on a 47 year old cold molded wood boat. Navigation limits are anywhere in the US or Canada up to 75 miles offshore.

I  think diesel lowers the rates over gas, and liability amount matters, but $500+ for a 26' boat with that value seems high. My Boat US policy was going up to almost $900 though, with higher deductibles and, as the thread points out, almost no coverage for damage. 

You ever get a quote from Pemco? Just curious how they compare.

2 hours ago, IStream said:

You ever get a quote from Pemco? Just curious how they compare.

I did not. The other quote I received (underwritten by Markel) was for only a little more money, but with an exclusion for anything to do with the rig. This was apparently because of the age of the boat and the wood hull- other boats might be rated differently. I stopped when I determined the State Farm policy would meet my needs- I have number of business and personal policies with them now and like and trust the agent, who is just down the road and has given me good advice in the past. 

Glad you found a good alternative to Geico. I have a term life policy with State Farm but I can't comment on their quality since I've never made a claim ;). The agent I got the life policy from was great but he retired and was replaced by a pretty young thing who couldn't answer any questions and put me on all their mailing lists un-asked, so I've never looked at them for other insurance needs.