Sign in to follow this  
pasta514

Entropy Resin --> A Gougeon Company Now

Gougeon WEST Epoxy is the gold standard, but as far as I know, does not have a UV inhibitor option. I've used other formulations that claim to be UV inhibited and have been wanting to try out a new brand. Entropy Resin https://entropyresins.com/ 

Since I was running low on the other brand and needed to buy more I tried to order online, but could not get my order placed.  Finally, I called them and the toll-free number was disconnected... uh-oh. As a last attempt, I dialed up the only remaining number on the web page and got a live person who said "Entropy Resin, a Gougeon Company"

So I placed my order and drove to the Hayward factory to pick it up.   ... Yep, now Gougeon will have a new resin offering that's UV inhibited and has some bio-content in it.

Can't wait to try it tomorrow.  If Gougeon bought them, it must be good.

No UV-inhibitor hardener in the West Systems lineup? Au contraire, mon thermoplastique frére! Say hello to my little friend, 207:

https://www.westsystem.com/207-special-clear-hardener/

Goigeon bought Entropy for its bio-friendly formulation that gets it into government contracts, probably not its UV.

https://www.compositesworld.com/news/gougeon-brothers-acquires-entropy-resins

But epoxy and sunlight really don’t go well together, even when topcoated with varnish. UV is relentless and finds a way in, around, or through. I’ve always come to regret clear epoxy coatings exposed to weather.

I have been using sunlight stabilized resin for many years on sailboards and surfboards, they work.  The newest generation don't yellow, and are quite user friendly, but they must be used under controlled environments.  There are many tricks to them and the procedures are different for each system.

Interesting guerdon, mind sharing which brand?

My experience is West Systems 205/206 yellow in under 1 week of sun exposure, Resin Research is pretty durable and several weeks at least, followed by MGS 285/287 which is simply the best (extended month+ long exposure to direct sunlight with no major degradation). It also has among the best mechanical properties, though Pro Set is pretty comparable. The price is not particularly friendly so I stick with resin research or west systems for repair work.

Google Surf Clear epoxy resin, have used it as a coating on marine ply before overcoating with an automotive clear coat, it is formulated for the surfboard industry and has a genre of uv inhibition.it is a really good product with no amine blush.

About 20 years since I’ve used it but SP115 (now available from gurit) used to be a great UV stabilised clear epoxy.