AmericanVagrant

Sold everything to sail the world...boat sunk on day 2

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

If they can sink a boat every 2-3 weeks they could keep an audience entertained for a while.

No kidding. They'll be up to the proverbial Swan 60 by May or June.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

they've managed to turn basically the whole sailing community with an internet connection against them. gonna make their dreams of youtube stardom a bit, well. tough...

Wrong.

Youtube sailing stardom is not based on interest from the sailing community, but rather from those sitting behind a desk wishing they were part of the sailing community.

Kind of like these silly kids just before they sold their BMX bike and action figure collection to buy a $5000 piece of shit boat and a La Vagabonde T-shirt

• Like 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5450615/Retiree-sells-boat-1-couple-lost-boat-wreck.html

Appologies if This is old news.  

Geriatric MD with a boat he is no longer healthy enough to use has graciously provided the couple us with a new chapter.    "I've had it there behind the house trying to think of something to do with it," Reinecke said.
"That boat is like part of our family, but we also feel that the sailboat deserves to be at sea, not just sitting there, so when this situation came up, we said, 'Let them have it'.”

CD06CB05-5579-4625-B5B1-30B73CCEB866.jpeg

Um sorry for the late post.   I was suspicious but my fat finger must have skipped page 13.   

Saw on their FB page the work they have already done.

They have removed the old engine and cleaned up the engine space...

Related image

In the main salon they have got some new carpet down and painted inside the lockers white...

Image result for dope plants indoors

even been doing the old dinghy up.

Related image

• Like 2

Here they were last time. What could possibly go wrong?

Related image

9 hours ago, thereefgeek said:

Wrong.

Youtube sailing stardom is not based on interest from the sailing community, but rather from those sitting behind a desk wishing they were part of the sailing community.

Kind of like these silly kids just before they sold their BMX bike and action figure collection to buy a $5000 piece of shit boat and a La Vagabonde T-shirt

fair point

11 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Here they were last time. What could possibly go wrong?

Related image

Those keel bolts look real sketchy.

so they still are essentially starry eyed know nothings, who at least I hope have learned to not enter an unfamiliar port in the dark. but now they have a pocket full of cash and a bigger boat. sigh, what could possibly go wrong... 

20 hours ago, Lark said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5450615/Retiree-sells-boat-1-couple-lost-boat-wreck.html

Appologies if This is old news.  

Geriatric MD with a boat he is no longer healthy enough to use has graciously provided the couple us with a new chapter.    "I've had it there behind the house trying to think of something to do with it," Reinecke said.
"That boat is like part of our family, but we also feel that the sailboat deserves to be at sea, not just sitting there, so when this situation came up, we said, 'Let them have it'.”

CD06CB05-5579-4625-B5B1-30B73CCEB866.jpeg

And now another owner has done the same.

2nd boat donated to young adventurers.

Sydney Australia. After hearing of the sad loss of their first boat a well known Australian sailing family have also offered them an old boat they are having trouble selling.

A spokesmen for the Oatley family said that since last years Sydney to Hobart yacht race 'Wild Oats XI' is now surplus to their needs. ' We are happy to help this wonderful young couple achieve their dream and the boat is in great condition. The only small issue is a slight difficulty in judging distance from the helm position when the boat is on port tack'.

Upon hearing the news Tanner Broadwell said "Dude! That bad boy is way sick! With that lifting keel we can now go into any pass we like and all that room down stairs is perfect for our new business venture." His girl friend Nikki Walsh said "This is so nice and I can't thank you enough for the years supply of hair care products that were included"

The dog could not be contacted for comment.

• Like 2

The hair care prod could last a couple of years with those two. They’re from Colorado 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 10:34 AM, LB 15 said:

And now another owner has done the same.

2nd boat donated to young adventurers.

Sydney Australia. After hearing of the sad loss of their first boat a well known Australian sailing family have also offered them an old boat they are having trouble selling.

A spokesmen for the Oatley family said that since last years Sydney to Hobart yacht race 'Wild Oats XI' is now surplus to their needs. ' We are happy to help this wonderful young couple achieve their dream and the boat is in great condition. The only small issue is a slight difficulty in judging distance from the helm position when the boat is on port tack'.

Upon hearing the news Tanner Broadwell said "Dude! That bad boy is way sick! With that lifting keel we can now go into any pass we like and all that room down stairs is perfect for our new business venture." His girl friend Nikki Walsh said "This is so nice and I can't thank you enough for the years supply of hair care products that were included"

The dog could not be contacted for comment.

Er......reckon this needs exposure on the Ocean Racing Thread.....?

Maybe not.......there's enough nastygrams happenin!

Cheers,

Jim -_-

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Couple-whose-dream-boat-sank-finally-set-sail-on-new-adventure-_168471537

Three months after the Lagniappe sank, Nikki Walsh, 24, and Tanner Broadwell, 26, said they set sail Tuesday afternoon out of St. Petersburg Municipal Marina on the Lagniappe II. They were finally leaving behind the waters that claimed their old sailboat and most of their possessions save for $90, a phone and their beloved pug Remy when they struck something near Madeira Beach.

As they prepared to shove off, Walsh told the Tampa Bay Times they were "keeping an eye" on the weather system rolling north in the Gulf of Mexico, which meteorologists gave a 40 percent chance of developing into a tropical depression or tropical storm over the next five days. At the least, it’s expected to drop a lot of rain along Florida’s gulf coast in the next few days.

"We won’t be too far out. We’ll kind of just be scurrying the coast, so if it gets rough we’ll bring it in," Walsh said. "It’s time to go. It’s like $80 a night at the St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, so we’ve got to go."

They’ve been living on the boat, purchased for $1 from a retired St. Petersburg physician in February, for the past few weeks doing engine repairs.

The plan is to sail the 1985 Cheoy Lee Pedrick 36-foot sailboat formerly named the Odyssey down to the Florida Keys. After that, they’ll sail around the Florida peninsula and up to Merritt Island, where they’re going to do a "bottom job" on the boat and some detail work.

EP-305229738.jpg

well, they did a good job landing on their feet thanks to the good Doctor

15 minutes ago, hobot said:

well, they did a good job landing on their feet thanks to the good Doctor

Nobody ever gave me a 36 foot sailboat for being abysmally incompetent.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

There's still time....

• Like 2

I've been waiting for the "Rimas Does the Atlantic" tour, but this pair may do nicely......:rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

chuckle.....I agree they were, are, abysmally incompetent.

That said I have come to the conclusion from your prolific postings in other threads that your not made of the same stuff as this couple, or the drifter grifter in another thread that was awarded more than one free vessel for his incompetence. I'm sure with training you could achieve the same high status if you desired to do so.....maybe even master lawn darting or kon tiki style sailing.

• Like 1

They will probably run into the first Safe Seawater fairway mark buoy they encounter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

They will probably run into the first Safe Seawater fairway mark buoy they encounter.

1490313169545.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

You are an inciteful prick.

i love it!

4 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

You are an inciteful prick.

i love it!

I could not help myself. But lets stick with the adventures of the dynamic duo (and their faithful hound, Reamed Remy.)

There’s more than one adventure that abounds on this journey! 

I’ve heard of tops and bottoms, but ports and star boards? 

I like the shirt, he planned ahead

just saying...

0356589E-3759-4B65-BB3E-4005FF2BB452.jpeg

A6A96C02-86ED-480D-A020-1CB3B1DA3743.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Or anyone with a fresh medical bracelet!

DA0D5561-BE5D-4531-AA26-06D0F57D7AD7.jpeg

I think someone with an old medical bracelet might be a worse choice.

$80 a night seems pretty steep. Is that the going rate for a 36 foot casual berth around there?

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

$80 a night seems pretty steep. Is that the going rate for a 36 foot casual berth around there?

That's pretty normal. It would be a bit more there than here and ours charges $1.75/foot/day plus $5 if you want electric.

Cheaper if you don't do the day rate, obviously.

http://www.laishleymarina.com/marina.php

I once considered buying a Pedrick Cheoy Lee of that vintage.  It was, unfortunately, cored with plywood and yard scraps, and the teak decks were through fastened with unsealed screws.  There were some other weird things. The final "no go" was that all of the underwater fittings and running gear were some sort of "surprise" metal that I did not expect to see, maybe ss iirc.

And why would you come most of the way up the east coast of Florida to haul out? Are there no DIY yards in the keys or south Florida anymore?

27 minutes ago, nolatom said:

Shoving off from Tampa yesterday, heading around the Keys, in their new $1.00 boat?

I don't wish them ill, but don't have a good feeling about this:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5

So the morons are heading of into a potential TS?  You just can't teach or fix STUPID!  I see future Darwin Award winners, here!

16 hours ago, LB 15 said:

What is that?

No just kidding. With those 2 there is probably no such thing as safe seawater

11 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

And why would you come most of the way up the east coast of Florida to haul out? Are there no DIY yards in the keys or south Florida anymore?

There's one here where they're pretty tolerant of people living on their projects but these folks need to go to Indiantown. It's in the middle of the state, best protection from hurricanes, cheapest in the state, and most tolerant of people living on their projects.

• Like 1