AmericanVagrant

Sold everything to sail the world...boat sunk on day 2

20 minutes ago, LB 15 said:
31 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

And your marks here are like your toilets; backwards.

Err mate....err.. I think your doing it wrong...

Maybe he's using the auxiliary seat.

8fb779fc1bc3767f95e2bc5b91cdd904.jpg

• Like 1

Must be one of BJ's baby photos. Maybe his parents didn't have the heart to tell him.

How do you tell a grown man he needs potty training ?

You guys should really cut these youngsters some slack. No doubt they got their inspiration from 

wait for it

Reid Stowe

im surprised no one else connected the dots. Lol

31 minutes ago, savoir said:

Must be one of BJ's baby photos. Maybe his parents didn't have the heart to tell him.

How do you tell a grown man he needs potty training ?

I had to tell the boss to put the seat up when he pissed. That was awkward.

I read on facebook that someone offered to salvage their boat and they were not interested, they just want money for their next boat.  They are planning on just abandoning the boat where it sits and are moving on to another disaster.  I have been trying to find the comment to screen grab it, but cant find it now.

9 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I read on facebook that someone offered to salvage their boat and they were not interested, they just want money for their next boat.  They are planning on just abandoning the boat where it sits and are moving on to another disaster.  I have been trying to find the comment to screen grab it, but cant find it now.

That sounds like nonsense to me. 

They're over the $10k mark on the gofund me.

4 minutes ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

That sounds like nonsense to me. 

They're over the $10k mark on the gofund me.

No idea, but having $10k in their GoFundMe doesn't necessarily translate into them accepting help in salvaging their boat.

11 hours ago, RKoch said:

Not true here in Fl. The small passes have shifting sand bars and strong currents. The channel markers aren't regularly moved to keep up with the shifting channel, and charts are out-dated before they go to print. Daytime transit of the passes is by eyeball navigation (reading the water color), nighttime is not recommended without local knowledge.  This is the complete opposite of a well-marked and maintained shipping channel. 

Thanks for the local input. The press piece suggests they hit a reef rather than sand. Is that likely?

Plenty of people who race here (Solent, UK) will hit sand once in a while when creeping inshore to cheat the tide. It's part of the game. You don't expect the keel to fall off.

34 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

No idea, but having $10k in their GoFundMe doesn't necessarily translate into them accepting help in salvaging their boat.

10k that's over twice their previous net wealth. I hope all that money doesn't go to their heads...they could pick up an Oyster. I hear they are going cheap these days.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Found it:

27971885_1814669738545237_85766293474135

Doesn't pass the sniff test. IF he did offer to help, no way they turned him down unless there were strings attached or something else going on. I call bullshit. 

• Like 1

Perhaps the local constabulatory should be informed of their new found wealth? 

2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Thanks for the local input. The press piece suggests they hit a reef rather than sand. Is that likely?

Plenty of people who race here (Solent, UK) will hit sand once in a while when creeping inshore to cheat the tide. It's part of the game. You don't expect the keel to fall off.

Near shore is all sand. There's the occasional bit of rock, but well offshore many feet down. They're usually marked recreational fishing reefs. Some of the passes have artificial rock jetties (and there are some shoreline groins ), but that particular pass has none. The sand bottom is pretty hard, I'm sure they hit that and bounced a few times.

Yeah maybe he wanted costs? Even basic costs. 2x Salvage divers 1 day. Boat on standby for the day to tow it in, lift, hold, chainsaw hire, skip bin, dump fees & yard costs. Have to do it right. Authorities be pissed if they lost control of it & sunk it someplace where it was more of a hazard. Probably talking $5k in Australia for that minimum. 

19 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah maybe he wanted costs? Even basic costs. 2x Salvage divers 1 day. Boat on standby for the day to tow it in, lift, hold, chainsaw hire, skip bin, dump fees & yard costs. Have to do it right. Authorities be pissed if they lost control of it & sunk it someplace where it was more of a hazard. Probably talking $5k in Australia for that minimum. 

Supposedly they had a quote for $6700. I think the $10K was an initial USCG estimate they used for the Gofundme. I'm surprised it reached target so quickly. I think the commenter is likely spouting bs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Or the front.

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Supposedly they had a quote for $6700. I think the $10K was an initial USCG estimate they used for the Gofundme. I'm surprised it reached target so quickly. I think the commenter is likely spouting bs.

In a Facebook Sailing group? The deuce you say!

32 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Near shore is all sand. There's the occasional bit of rock, but well offshore many feet down. They're usually marked recreational fishing reefs. Some of the passes have artificial rock jetties (and there are some shoreline groins ), but that particular pass has none. The sand bottom is pretty hard, I'm sure they hit that and bounced a few times.

Addendum: there's no coral reefs in the area. Nearest ones are in the Keys, 200 miles south. 

3 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Found it:

27971885_1814669738545237_85766293474135

Turning down an offer of help from a local doesn't mean they don't intend to salvage the boat.

There are lots of reasons to turn down such offers.

Not saying his take is false. They may want to take the money and do something more fun that recovering and disposing of a wreck.

But not wanting to salvage it and not wanting that particular guy to salvage it are different things.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RKoch said:

Here's a typical notation. This is Stump Pass, where the EC participants who take the outside route go in to reach CP1.  They don't even bother posting soundings or markers it shifts so frequently. Note at top is for New Pass in Sarasota, which has badly shoaled in now (4 years after chart was printed). Midnight Pass, which is about 8 mi south of New Pass and 15 mi north of Stump Pass, used to be able to handle 5' of draft at high tide (with local knowledge) when I was a kid. Now it's completely filled in...dry land. 

BTW, all these soundings in feet, not fathoms.

27747684_10156252236651579_2260749330389

As usual at this time of year, watertribers are intensely interested in exactly where the shoals of Stump Pass are at the moment.

And in the new rocks.

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/latest-stump-pass-info

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
14 hours ago, RKoch said:

Here's a typical notation. This is Stump Pass, where the EC participants who take the outside route go in to reach CP1.  They don't even bother posting soundings or markers it shifts so frequently. Note at top is for New Pass in Sarasota, which has badly shoaled in now (4 years after chart was printed). Midnight Pass, which is about 8 mi south of New Pass and 15 mi north of Stump Pass, used to be able to handle 5' of draft at high tide (with local knowledge) when I was a kid. Now it's completely filled in...dry land. 

BTW, all these soundings in feet, not fathoms.

27747684_10156252236651579_2260749330389

As usual at this time of year, watertribers are intensely interested in exactly where the shoals of Stump Pass are at the moment.

And in the new rocks.

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/latest-stump-pass-info

One of the great things about our wonderful age of info tech, all kinds of sources of updated information. Finding it is not always easy, and seperating it from bullshit is not always easy; but just like always the more you know the easier it is.

I am getting to work on another round of trying to teach teen-agers to navigate this afternoon. My plan is to use a lot of hi-tech gizmos like a basketball, some huge pieces of graph paper, and enough dividers that each of them can be armed & dangerous. A few of them have been sailing in keelboats (twice!) and had the experience of either running aground or watching the depthsounder worriedly. At the end of the class, I am going to turn them loose with their phones on a navigation problem........

Somebody, some years ago, here in SA said "the problem is that learning to navigate is slow & boring, while crashing your boat is exciting"

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Forget about the fact that they had no experience and sailed into a strange port at night.  The guy was good at selling things and the most he had in his back account was 5K?  What did he sell?  Snow cones at the beach or nickles and charged only a penny for them?  And the salesman retires at 26 and lives off of ............................???????  Doesn't seem like they are playing with a full deck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Somebody, some years ago, here in SA said "the problem is that learning to navigate is slow & boring, while crashing your boat is exciting"

FB- Doug

That's a great line.

20 hours ago, toddster said:

Oh, come on. The only differences between these two and a thousand other noobs were the keel bolts and  sappy news story.

I disagree.  I'm a noob and I didn't start by buying a 30' boat and heading straight out on the ocean with a poor plan that involved entering a strange port at night with no navigation skills.  I think stupid is the perfect word.

• Like 5

On 2/10/2018 at 5:23 AM, Charsel said:

Just read the story in today's Tampa Bay Times. A sad tale, but after reading, my reaction was, "What could possibly go wrong?" Old boat, little experience, at night going through unfamiliar inlet. Hit something to cause keel to depart? 

11411 Chart shows 10' through entrance and drawbridge, then 4' to ICW. Hindsight, Pass A  Grille much easier, and no shoaling

Well you drive your car on the highway at night, dont you? Surely driving a boat thru a channel at night is just as simple! And if you get lost just stop in somewheres and ask directions!

There is so much wrong here.  Can you set off around the world with $90 in your pocket unless maybe you think ditching the boat can garner enough sympathy to justify a GOFUND me.  I think it is a Scam.  If not, let Darwin decide.

12 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I disagree.  I'm a noob and I didn't start by buying a 30' boat and heading straight out on the ocean with a poor plan that involved entering a strange port at night with no navigation skills.  I think stupid is the perfect word.

I disagree. They're stupid if they repeat their many mistakes. ATM, all we can say is they're  naive and inexperienced, and exhibited poor judgement (which comes with experience). We'll see how next round goes. 

shoulda read the local notice to mariners. also in active captain which is still free for the moment:

Reported LNM Week 48/2014: The entrance to Johns Pass Channel has a project depth of 10 feet. The ACOE surveys found the project depth between Johns Pass Channel Light 2 (LLNR 25585) and Johns Pass Channel Light 4 (LLNR 25600) have reported soundings as low as 7.5 feet due to shoaling. Shoaling also exists between Johns Pass Channel DBN 8 (LLNR 25625) and Johns Pass Channel Light 10 (LLNR 25630) with soundings as low as 3.6 feet along the northern side of the channel. Mariners are advised to exercise extreme caution while transiting these areas. Local knowledge is recommended as the channel is constantly changing.

The channel is reportedly subject to considerable shoaling between G3 and G5.

33 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Obviously, you did it wrong.  ;)

15 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Obviously, you did it wrong.  ;)

I have a library of old time sailing books. MANY a voyage consisted of dreamers with almost no clue taking off. The ones that made it wrote books, the others in the pre-GPS pre-SSB pre-EPIRB era just are gone with no trace.

There really is not so much excuse now, 30 seconds on Google would lead you to resources to find out at least some basic info about not learning to navigate by running an inlet at night :rolleyes:

* speaking of night, I have entered many a strange port at night. Some are pretty easy and some are not, but back then we would study a chart and read the Sailing Directions to see if it was a wise idea or not. For one example, there are many inlets on the East Coast and only some are all weather and only some are 24/7 without expert local knowledge. Annapolis is pretty easy at night and Chestertown is a bitch and a half without GPS. A lot of winding pitch black river banks and unlit marks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I have a library of old time sailing books. MANY a voyage consisted of dreamers with almost no clue taking off. The ones that made it wrote books, the others in the pre-GPS pre-SSB pre-EPIRB era just are gone with no trace.

There really is not so much excuse now, 30 seconds on Google would lead you to resources to find out at least some basic info about not learning to navigate by running an inlet at night :rolleyes:

* speaking of night, I have entered many a strange port at night. Some are pretty easy and some are not, but back then we would study a chart and read the Sailing Directions to see if it was a wise idea or not. For one example, there are many inlets on the East Coast and only some are all weather and only some are 24/7 without expert local knowledge. YMMV

Yes, some of the old circumnavigators were very experienced, and some were complete novices. The novices who were successful (and wrote books) are notable for their high desire to learn...they actively sought out experienced people to learn from. The unsuccessful ones we don't know much about...they probably didn't survive to write a book.

27 minutes ago, RKoch said:
43 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I disagree. They're stupid if they repeat their many mistakes. ATM, all we can say is they're  naive and inexperienced, and exhibited poor judgement (which comes with experience). We'll see how next round goes. 

I think we can agree that their mistakes could have been avoided without too much difficulty? FWIW I have some sympathy for them, having bought and fixed up cheap old boats most of my life. OTOH they could/should have checked the keel as it is a critical component; should not be a mystery.

7 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

* speaking of night, I have entered many a strange port at night. Some are pretty easy and some are not, but back then we would study a chart and read the Sailing Directions to see if it was a wise idea or not. For one example, there are many inlets on the East Coast and only some are all weather and only some are 24/7 without expert local knowledge. Annapolis is pretty easy at night and Chestertown is a bitch and a half without GPS. A lot of winding pitch black river banks and unlit marks.

Right, but then you've approached it with the attitude of minimizing what could go wrong, not saying "Ha, this isn't be difficult, what could possibly go wrong?" And I think the old-timers who were successful as newbies were also at least somewhat respectful of the risks.

FB- Doug

7 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Yes, some of the old circumnavigators were very experienced, and some were complete novices. The novices who were successful (and wrote books) are notable for their high desire to learn...they actively sought out experienced people to learn from. The unsuccessful ones we don't know much about...they probably didn't survive to write a book.

Depends how you measure success, Moitessier totalled 3 boats!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Panoramix said:

Depends how you measure success, Moitessier totalled 3 boats!

Moitessier and Webb Chiles didn't start GoFundMe pages begging people to clean up their mess, afterwards. They did it on their own.

The internet keeps these cockroaches alive.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RKoch said:

columbia.jpg

• Like 1

It's shocking to me that they are completely funded on their gofundme. But it's also shocking to me that someone would be eager to splash their name all over the internet advertising a huge mistake that they made and asking people to pay for it. Especially in a way that doesn't feel very honest (they say they hit a submerged object on gofundme, but in the articles admit to missing the channel). I guess there are some things i'll never understand. In today's world this will dog their google searches (future employment, etc) forever, how is that worth 10 grand?

33 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think we can agree that their mistakes could have been avoided without too much difficulty? FWIW I have some sympathy for them, having bought and fixed up cheap old boats most of my life. OTOH they could/should have checked the keel as it is a critical component; should not be a mystery.

FB- Doug

True that. But if they'd recognized their mistakes before making them, they probably wouldn't have made them. If they're smart, they'll be thankful for surviving their mistakes, and won't repeat them.  It's a 180 difference than Rimas, who not only refuses to recognize his mistakes, but doesn't realize how many times he cheated death and refuses to correct his mistakes or even learn basic skills.

1 minute ago, freewheelin said:

It's shocking to me that they are completely funded on their gofundme. But it's also shocking to me that someone would be eager to splash their name all over the internet advertising a huge mistake that they made and asking people to pay for it. Especially in a way that doesn't feel very honest (they say they hit a submerged object on gofundme, but in the articles admit to missing the channel). I guess there are some things i'll never understand. In today's world this will dog their google searches (future employment, etc) forever, how is that worth 10 grand?

It surprised me too that they raised the money. Considering the CG was demanding they remove the boat NOW, and they had no money or insurance, only the clothes on their backs,  gfm was their only option. Hopefully they're better planned and knowledgable next go around. 

30 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Moitessier and Webb Chiles didn't start GoFundMe pages begging people to clean up their mess, afterwards. They did it on their own.

Are you absolutely sure that Moitessier and Chiles never benefited from the kindness of strangers?

9 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

But it's also shocking to me that someone would be eager to splash their name all over the internet advertising a huge mistake that they made and asking people to pay for it. Especially in a way that doesn't feel very honest (they say they hit a submerged object on gofundme, but in the articles admit to missing the channel).

How are "hit a submerged object" and "admit to missing the channel" in conflict or dishonest?  Jealous much?

It sounds like they're going to come out of this ahead of how they came in. According to the afore-linked interview they're in talks to be given a boat. That, with the excess funds from the GoFundMe, in addition to name recognition when they inevitably start their vlog.

Maybe not a great lesson (for anyone looking to learn one), but nonetheless good for them.

6 minutes ago, RKoch said:

It surprised me too that they raised the money. Considering the CG was demanding they remove the boat NOW, and they had no money or insurance, only the clothes on their backs,  gfm was their only option. Hopefully they're better planned and knowledgable next go around. 

I gave them some loot. Why the hell not? I like them. They have spirit! 

Just found them a boat, keel has been tested for strength, needs some caulking, not sure what the boat name means...

"Tail Cotton", what is that...Jen, can you help me here...https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/d/pearson-triton-29/6480418925.html

4 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Good point. I have no experience with this, but my guess is that there is some sort of payment plan option for things like this - with government imperatives there usually are. It also assumes that they #1 really only had $90 to their names, and #2 didnt have access to someone who can help them out with a loan (parents, etc). Given that their gofunme was made up largely of a few big doners, my guess is the latter was available without having to go the all-over-the-internet route. Who knows though.

1 minute ago, Norse Horse said:

Just found them a boat, keel has been tested for strength, needs some caulking, not sure what the boat name means...

"Tail Cotton", what is that...Jen, can you help me here...https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/d/pearson-triton-29/6480418925.html

Good pun but I think that the name is TALL COTTON

Looks like BENT Q-TIP might be more appropriate though...

6 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Are you absolutely sure that Moitessier and Chiles never benefited from the kindness of strangers?

How are "hit a submerged object" and "admit to missing the channel" in conflict?  Jealous much?

not in conflict you are right, but "hit a submerged object" implies it happened to them passively, while getting disoriented and running aground implies active fault.

What on earth would I have to be jealous of? 

Wait til they get to the USVI and put the replacement up on a real reef. $10K that the USCG is asking would be a bargain. I got served by a Marshall with a $10 per DAY fine for a sunken sailboat and the DPNR (VI territorial agency) was very serious about it. I didn't even own the boat when it sunk, even though I was on board at the time.

so, they sold everything they own, bought a shitbox and then pumped every dollar they had into it for a year.  How exactly do two people work and make barely enough to fix a boat they are living on?  This sounds like a train wreck from day 1. Glad they sank close to shore.  Also, they didn’t lose everything they own.  It’s in the boat, just swim out and get it. 

I probably wouldn’t have tried to shoot that inlet blind at night.  Too easy to drop a couple anchors and take a nap until daylight.  

12 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

not in conflict you are right, but "hit a submerged object" implies it happened to them passively, while getting disoriented and running aground implies active fault.

What on earth would I have to be jealous of? 

Don't mind Proa, he has a massive chip on his shoulder.

• Downvote 1

On 2/11/2018 at 10:58 AM, ProaSailor said:

27609222_1518148805.2273.jpg

An average of $30 per contributor!

that boat looks in a lot better shape ( other than under water ) then a lot of douchemonkeys out there..  decent and clean looking bottom paint, better than most out there..

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 11:11 AM, Snaggletooth said:

Teacheng youselfe sailleng ist ounr thinge, teacheng youselfe navigatition is somthinge ealse.                             :)

Teaching ones selves a life lesson so quickly is even more impressive!

$13k in 3 days?

Here's my plan for this afternoon:

- Go on Craigslist and find me the ugliest dog

- Cancel my insurance

- Head to yard and loosen a few keel bolts

- Splash boat around sunset

- Head off down the river

- Hit sandbar

-  Collect money 

Actually, what bothers me the most isn't that people contributed to their Go Fund Me, but from watching the linked video, the guy comes across as a total douche bag to me.  But I suppose I would expect no less from someone who sold time shares.

Paying way too much for a $1500 boat: $5,000

Upgrading the boat without paying attention to safety issues: $5000

Salvaging your sunken shit: $10,000

Learning that ignorance is not bliss: Priceless

Gofundme: another shot for Darwin to win

BTW I read in the San Francisco they are required to pay for salvage, which does not surprise me.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:18 AM, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

It's part of millennial culture. People nowadays don't want to put a little time and preparation and effort to educate themselves even about basics.  'Oh that looks easy let's just do it'. It's why it takes 5.5 hours to play a round of golf now when it used to be 4.

+1... I think I was stuck behind these asshats for a 3.5 hour front 9 last summer.

Image result for hipster golfer

After watching the interview, it seems that his Dad did the sailing from Alabama where they bought the boat to Tarpon Springs. That is a pretty good trip especially if they 'cut the corner' at Panama City. That was my initiation to sailing on my first foray to the Islands. Gulfport Mi-Mobile Al-Tampa Fl and we got a pretty good December blow in the Gulf as we cut the corner. My whole crew was seasick except for a buddies girlfriend which was surprising. I think she was just high on Oxy for a back condition but I was thankful for her ability to steer a course in confused seas at night. One of my proudest moments was telling the whole crew just after noon the next day to keep eyes peeled for the Tampa Bay sea bouy after I had spent an hour or so with my Davis plastic sextant doing a noon sight. Using the tables below after getting my sights made me seasick but the crew just laughed at my optimism that we would ever see the sea bouy. It showed up right over the bow about a half hour later! May have been beginners luck but I was grateful and my crew showed more respect after that. Not sure I could repeat that these days.

Another thing from the interview was that the guy thought that the boat was a freshwater boat since there was no growth in the marina in Fairhope where he bought it. It is a fact that Fly Creek does have a 'cold hole' fresh water spring but the creek itself is mostly brackish. During the time the boat was on the hard in Tarpon Springs for 3-4 months new keel lags as discussed would not have be out of the question for a boat that old. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ajbram said:

+1... I think I was stuck behind these asshats for a 3.5 hour front 9 last summer.

Haha I love how quickly these things become a generational thing. What a warm feeling it must be knowing not one baby boomer ever grounded a boat, felt entitled, or asked someone else for money to clean up their mess.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RKoch said:

I went into the Salt Pond one morning in fog so thick visibility was under 30'. Radar was useless as there were so many boats jammed in there. Bumped engine into gear, went forward half a boat length, looked carefully, forward another 1/2 boat length, repeat. Took a long time, we were practically creeping  on hands and knees.

brother and I missed block in a thick fog, gps wasn't available then, realized it when the depth kept getting deeper.. turned around, we ended up inside the breakwater  (between the beach and end of breakwater) heading towards new harbor.. always fun when a rock wall turns up in front of you..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Moitessier got lot of favours when he built Joshua and when he sank his 2 first boats.

16 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

brother and I missed block in a thick fog, gps wasn't available then, realized it when the depth kept getting deeper.. turned around, we ended up inside the breakwater  (between the beach and end of breakwater) heading towards new harbor.. always fun when a rock wall turns up in front of you..

Making landfall at Newport RI at about 0100 in thick fog after a few days of DR assisted by an RDF was more or less of a bitch. Almost nailed a couple of things, but going 2 knots with a bow lookout covers up a lot of errors ;)

Moitessier did write "La longue route" and gave up the rights though, so hardly begging...

The smart old timers would wait offshore until daylight before attempting an unknown entrance.

38 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

Haha I love how quickly these things become a generational thing. What a warm feeling it must be knowing not one baby boomer ever grounded a boat, felt entitled, or asked someone else for money to clean up their mess.

I'm not a boomer... I have grounded a boat (and got it unstuck myself,  finished the race, then pulled it and checked for damage). I'm not entitled (though I understand that as a 30-something white guy I do enjoy a lot of privilege) and I have never asked for $ to clean up my mess. 

Hy hatred of slow fucks on the golf course is not a generational thing. I would be just as frustrated playing slow golf behind this group Image result for old men golfing

The difference is that the old bats are slow because they are old and can no longer hit a ball further than 23 yards... They probably took some lessons once, practiced, tried to get better. Frustrating yes, but forgivable. They're not slow because they figured "Golf is easy... I'm just gonna buy a douchey sweater vest and make myself look like a late 18th century French gynecologist, drink some Steel Reserves, and shoot 4-under. If a guy named "Bubba" can do it, so can I. And EVERYONE who tees off behind me is going to have to wait while I take 12 strokes to make it to the ladies tee."

• Like 2

Slocum put Spray on the beach in South America, had help from campesinos refloating  it. Harry Pidgeon went on the beach (only sand within miles of rocky shoreline) in South Africa, had local help refloating/repairing boat. Jean Gau went on the beach at Hatteras, had local help refloating  boat and donations for repair and refit. Alain Gerbault lost his keel and boat in South Pacific on a reef, a French Warship was dispatched to salvage boat and machine new keel bolts and reinstall keel. 

The question isn't whether the kids fucked up whereas  boomers never fucked up, it's not whether the kids are deserving of some help in a sticky predicament, it's whether they've learned from their fuckups and can move forward without repeating them.

28 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Making landfall at Newport RI at about 0100 in thick fog after a few days of DR assisted by an RDF was more or less of a bitch. Almost nailed a couple of things, but going 2 knots with a bow lookout covers up a lot of errors ;)

yeah, we came out from behind watch hill, nothing like plotting your course from one channel marker to the next

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

for all giving the couple shit for their navigation, remember , team vesta hit an island with a state of the art boat, loaded with electronics..

And had corporate money to salvage the wreck.

Is the retarded/predictable fuckup a pre-requisite for a successful-sailing related GoFundMe campaign?

I'm thinking I enjoy exploring new places under sail, drinking rum on beaches, swimming in new lagoons, meeting the friendly locals, etc. I spent my whole life saving my meagre student stipend in order to buy a boat that would let me do just that. I ate lots of ramen noodles, drank sub-standard beers. Then a tragedy happened... I finished my PhD and had to get a real job... I got married, I invested my life savings in a nice house (does this constitute a retarded predictable fuckup?). We were forced to become a 2 car family. The sporty small car that's fun to drive and good on gas couldn't tow the little boat or haul  building project materials or transport the dog and his dog-park buddies around, so we tragically had to get an SUV.  These tragic events have left me with no money to my name that I can use for cruising the world. My dream has been traumatically and shockingly derailed. Whenever I request grant money and succeed, I have to spend it all doing SCIENCE! Fuck! 

I need a boat that's stable and comfy for the wife and dog, and has enough staterooms for our adventurous sailing friends to join us in exotic locales. It also has to be seaworthy enough to cross oceans, and fast.... I like sailing fast!

I think we can find something suitable for no more than $60k. A bargain really to be able to pick up where I was so rudely forced to abandon my life's ambition. 

I could never give up on my dream... I have to persevere. 

If you support me you can come drink rum on my new boat and be on my vlog... and get a t-shirt! It doesn't have anything printed on it, but who doesn't need an extra white t-shirt?

Who's got $20 for me?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Maybe he's using the auxiliary seat.

8fb779fc1bc3767f95e2bc5b91cdd904.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of how they flush...

I have seen a couple of signs like these around Oz though...mostly in tourist heavy areas.

western-toilet-sign.jpg

3 minutes ago, ajbram said:

Is the retarded/predictable fuckup a pre-requisite for a successful-sailing related GoFundMe campaign?

I'm thinking I enjoy exploring new places under sail, drinking rum on beaches, swimming in new lagoons, meeting the friendly locals, etc. I spent my whole life saving my meagre student stipend in order to buy a boat that would let me do just that. I ate lots of ramen noodles, drank sub-standard beers. Then a tragedy happened... I finished my PhD and had to get a real job... I got married, I invested my life savings in a nice house (does this constitute a retarded predictable fuckup?). We were forced to become a 2 car family. The sporty small car that's fun to drive and good on gas couldn't tow the little boat or haul  building project materials or transport the dog and his dog-park buddies around, so we tragically had to get an SUV.  These tragic events have left me with no money to my name that I can use for cruising the world. My dream has been traumatically and shockingly derailed. Whenever I request grant money and succeed, I have to spend it all doing SCIENCE! Fuck! 

I need a boat that's stable and comfy for the wife and dog, and has enough staterooms for our adventurous sailing friends to join us in exotic locales. It also has to be seaworthy enough to cross oceans, and fast.... I like sailing fast!

I think we can find something suitable for no more than $60k. A bargain really to be able to pick up where I was so rudely forced to abandon my life's ambition. 

I could never give up on my dream... I have to persevere. 

If you support me you can come drink rum on my new boat and be on my vlog... and get a t-shirt! It doesn't have anything printed on it, but who doesn't need an extra white t-shirt?

Who's got $20 for me?

Show us some vlog-worthy tits and we'll think about it.

Just now, IStream said:

Show us some vlog-worthy tits and we'll think about it.

If I show you tits for free now, what incentive do you have to pay later?

Image result for parus major 

2 minutes ago, ajbram said:

If I show you tits for free now, what incentive do you have to pay later?

Image result for parus major 

Sorry, my bad. I was assuming there'd be something worth paying for besides tits.

;)