AmericanVagrant

Sold everything to sail the world...boat sunk on day 2

4 hours ago, Kack said:

so, they sold everything they own, bought a shitbox and then pumped every dollar they had into it for a year.  How exactly do two people work and make barely enough to fix a boat they are living on?  

Good stuff that meth. 

16 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Somewhere I read the guy sold time shares....probably why he was there

Form last post... ;)

If he was selling timeshares at the rate they suggest, he prob had free lodging which is worth it's weight in gold.

These threads are always much more entertaining when either the central player or an apologist starts posting. But this pair of losers probably don't even own a smart phone. 

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

These threads are always much more entertaining when either the central player or an apologist starts posting. But this pair of losers probably don't even own a smart phone. 

Smatre phones rareley floatte.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Look how Wharram crossed the Atlantic the first time : https://www.sailmagazine.com/multihulls/james-wharram-sailed-across-atlantic-home-built-catamaran

When Moitessier left Asia, it was similar stuff.

Obviously they became good sailors soon after.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Look how Wharram crossed the Atlantic the first time : https://www.sailmagazine.com/multihulls/james-wharram-sailed-across-atlantic-home-built-catamaran

When Moitessier left Asia, it was similar stuff.

Obviously they became good sailors soon after.

Yeah, that's kind of how it works. Survival of the fittest and all. 

We all experience luck.  Smart people recognize it leverage it.  Stupid people don't recognize it and keep doing stupid shit.  Stupid people usually run out of luck sooner than smart people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

That is the thing, Anyone can and should do whatever they want with their $$$.  How many people have left Millions to their cats??  But to raise $10,000 in 3 days for being stupid, that is my beef.  I would think that anyone that did this under the auspices of raising the boat and cleaning up the H20 and environment would spend everything on that endeavor and give the rest to cherity.  Especially since they have parents that are apparently willing and able to help.  It appears that they are not doing this and are instead buying another boat to do the same dumb thing again...  No Bueno...   

I still say that those who are donating know where the money is going and they are giving.  Their choice.  

To say they should give the remainder of the money, after paying to remove the boat is ludicrous.  Then you should tell the 1%ers, that they should give their excess money to charity.  At least these folks are more honest than many of the 1%.  They made no secret of the fact that they want to try again.

I am with RKoch, I think the jury is till out on how stupid they really are.  I am not optimistic, but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe they learned something.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toddster said:

Take a deep breath, everyone. The sailing corner is a rather small, obscure, and mild planetesimal in the YouTube/GoFundMe universe.  The rest of it makes these guys look like paragons of virtue.  

Dude,  these idiots made the headlines of several national news outlets.  This is exposure that the sailing community doesn't need. 

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

We all experience luck.  Smart people recognize it leverage it.  Stupid people don't recognize it and keep doing stupid shit.  Stupid people usually run out of luck sooner than smart people.

I gave them $50. I like them. They have a freewheelin attitude that I had when I was younger. Before life sucked it right out of me. We've all done dumb things in boats, almost having our truck roll into the water because we didn't chock the tires and didn't know reverse would slip so easily. Grounding our first boat about 50 feet from shore near a beach. I hope for the best of them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Dude,  these idiots made the headlines of several national news outlets.  This is exposure that the sailing community doesn't need. 

Did you rat them out yet, Dickwad? 

• Downvote 1

Just now, the_abandoned_brane said:

Did you rat them out yet, Dickwad? 

Pffft... plenty of people have beaten me to it. 

Fuck off,  braneless.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, billy backstay said:

Yes, if they had an ounce of experience, or common sense, of which neither are in evidence, in this sad case.  

It appears they do have experience:  "Nikki and Tanner learned to sail from Tanner’s dad and by sailing on friends’ boats. They bought SV Lagniappe in Fairhope, Alabama near mobile. Tanner and his Dad sailed the boat to Destin, Florida where Nikki sailed the boat to Panama City, Florida. From Panama City, Florida the three people and one dog sailed the 49-year old boat for 3 and a half days offshore to Tarpon Springs, Florida in June 2017."

They were motoring slowly in light weather with good visibility when they grounded and ultimately lost their keel, probably due to weakened keel bolts, which precluded towing off and saving the boat.  Less than competent seamanship, maybe,  but  nowhere near the clueless level of Rimas.

Since then they've been rather douche-like,  but their GoFundMe page is pushing $14,000USD now; ain't the USA great!

27 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

It's hard to run out of luck once you discover the knack for creating it.

It's easy to run out of the other kind of luck...hard luck...because that's the kind that deteriorates into stupidity and, what one very smart man called the definition of insanity.

9 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I think it's less about the sailing community so much as it is a textbook case of the millennial condition of wanting it right now, going off half cocked and getting burned for it. so far as I can tell form that interview these 2 are the quintessential "van life"  hipsters as far as their mentality is concerned. but instead of buying a chevy van from the mid 70's they bought a sailboat. 

10 minutes ago, axolotl said:

It appears they do have experience:  "Nikki and Tanner learned to sail from Tanner’s dad and by sailing on friends’ boats. They bought SV Lagniappe in Fairhope, Alabama near mobile. Tanner and his Dad sailed the boat to Destin, Florida where Nikki sailed the boat to Panama City, Florida. From Panama City, Florida the three people and one dog sailed the 49-year old boat for 3 and a half days offshore to Tarpon Springs, Florida in June 2017."

They were motoring slowly in light weather with good visibility when they grounded and ultimately lost their keel, probably due to weakened keel bolts, which precluded towing off and saving the boat.  Less than competent seamanship, maybe,  but  nowhere near the clueless level of Rimas.

Since then they've been rather douche-like,  but their GoFundMe page is pushing $14,000USD now; ain't the USA great!

yeah they've gotten very preachy and self righteous. though in fairness if I had thousands of people tell me I'm a dumbass I'd turn into an asshole pretty quick too. 

So Who’s going to entice these two over from Gofuckme for an explanation of their cosmological bullshit?

I got Jenn here, but I think these two are a little more savvy to my kind of approach...

23 minutes ago, frozenhawaiian said:

I think it's less about the sailing community so much as it is a textbook case of the millennial condition of wanting it right now, going off half cocked and getting burned for it. so far as I can tell form that interview these 2 are the quintessential "van life"  hipsters as far as their mentality is concerned. but instead of buying a chevy van from the mid 70's they bought a sailboat. 

They just watched too many La Vag videos, and were too naive to realize there are several steps between where they were and where they wanted to be.

Suppose you or I wanted to 'take a van trip' after watching some videos. Didn't know anything about vehicles, or even how to drive.  Paid $5000 for a rusty old Chevy van, spent another $5K gussying  it up. Never had a mechanic check over the brakes or inspect the rusty a-arms. Took off across the country with no driving experience. Chances are we'll get in trouble. 

The youngsters just overlooked several critical intermediate steps as a result of their ignorance and overconfidence. Perhaps they'll correct that before their next attempt. Just because Rimas and Jenn repeat the same mistakes and keep losing boats doesn't mean every newbie does.

4 minutes ago, RKoch said:

They just watched too many La Vag videos, and were too naive to realize there are several steps between where they were and where they wanted to be.

Suppose you or I wanted to 'take a van trip' after watching some videos. Didn't know anything about vehicles, or even how to drive.  Paid $5000 for a rusty old Chevy van, spent another $5K gussying  it up. Never had a mechanic check over the brakes or inspect the rusty a-arms. Took off across the country with no driving experience. Chances are we'll get in trouble. 

The youngsters just overlooked several critical intermediate steps as a result of their ignorance and overconfidence. Perhaps they'll correct that before their next attempt. 

depends how arrogant they are, sounds to me like they still think the only thing amiss was that they hit some unknown, uncharted obstruction in the channel

Just now, frozenhawaiian said:

depends how arrogant they are

Do you know them? I don't...and I'm not going to invent personality characteristics  to justify hating them. That's for the online trolls.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Are you absolutely sure that Moitessier and Chiles never benefited from the kindness of strangers?

How are "hit a submerged object" and "admit to missing the channel" in conflict or dishonest?  Jealous much?

I looked it up and you're right... Moitessier did have help.  I apologize. I guess that being cooped up all winter is making me crotchety.

Brane can still go fuck himself though.

I'd feel a lot better about these two if they only did one thing-  Cleaned up their old boat first.

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Do you know them? I don't...and I'm not going to invent personality characteristics  to justify hating them. That's for the online trolls.

go and look up what the word "depends" means.... 

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

This one slipped through my ignore filter but I gave it a "Like" anyway.  The vituperative, toxic venom flowing from many in this thread is pissing in the wind, with the usual results.

4 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I looked it up and you're right... Moitessier did have help.  I apologize. I guess that being cooped up all winter is making me crotchety.

Brane can still go fuck himself though.

I'd feel a lot better about these two if they only did one thing-  Cleaned up their old boat first.

It's still less than 5 days since the sinking. they only got enough money today to raise the boat. Still have to find a salvor to hire, who has to get his crew together and get on site. Pretty sure it doesn't happen at snap of fingers.

Before we pass judgment we need more information.

Here is a bikini shot...

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

8 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

Has anyone gone out there yet to dive n find the keel...$$

Hmmm...

2,800# of lead X $0.95 per pound = $2,660

9 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

Has anyone gone out there yet to dive n find the keel...$$

Guessing the salvage crew will find it and pick it up. Probably the most valuable part left.

26 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Not enough apparently.  Video of the sinking would have paid for a rebuild.

4 minutes ago, random said:

Not enough apparently.  Video of the sinking would have paid for a rebuild.

There's still the matter of them averaging about 1 knot from leaving Tarpon Springs to losing the keel at Johns Pass. Obviously they need to improve their sailing skills. 30-35 miles...should have been able to do it in 10 hrs or less.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

THIS ^

Hey look at that boat anchoring off my beach. It *must be* full of penniless fuckwits who want to live in my river for free and their boat will likely soon sink and leave me with an oil slick and an eyesore to clean up. Call the Marine Police and roust those bums out of here!

Then I have the issue of kids in my extended family who don't see the point of graduating high school because they are only one stupid video away from being millionaires on YouTube :rolleyes:

50 minutes ago, frozenhawaiian said:

yeah they've gotten very preachy and self righteous. though in fairness if I had thousands of people tell me I'm a dumbass I'd turn into an asshole pretty quick too. 

yeah, look what happened to Sluggo

4 hours ago, ajbram said:

I'm not a boomer... I have grounded a boat (and got it unstuck myself,  finished the race, then pulled it and checked for damage). I'm not entitled (though I understand that as a 30-something white guy I do enjoy a lot of privilege) and I have never asked for $ to clean up my mess. 

Hy hatred of slow fucks on the golf course is not a generational thing. I would be just as frustrated playing slow golf behind this group

The difference is that the old bats are slow because they are old and can no longer hit a ball further than 23 yards... They probably took some lessons once, practiced, tried to get better. Frustrating yes, but forgivable. They're not slow because they figured "Golf is easy... I'm just gonna buy a douchey sweater vest and make myself look like a late 18th century French gynecologist, drink some Steel Reserves, and shoot 4-under. If a guy named "Bubba" can do it, so can I. And EVERYONE who tees off behind me is going to have to wait while I take 12 strokes to make it to the ladies tee."

IMO anyone who plays golf deserves whatever happens to them. B)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Guessing the salvage crew will find it and pick it up. Probably the most valuable part left.

only valuable part left. can't think of anything else on that boat thats worth any meaningful amount of money at this point. 

Just now, frozenhawaiian said:

only valuable part left. can't think of anything else on that boat thats worth any meaningful amount of money at this point. 

I thicke the y hade allota goode CDs onborde.

1 hour ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

I gave them $50. I like them. They have a freewheelin attitude that I had when I was younger. Before life sucked it right out of me. We've all done dumb things in boats, almost having our truck roll into the water because we didn't chock the tires and didn't know reverse would slip so easily. Grounding our first boat about 50 feet from shore near a beach. I hope for the best of them. 

A couple of weeks ago I connected a relay the wrong way wiring up a remote switch and blew up a pair of expensive contactors and a power converter.

If I start a GoFundMe will you send me $50 for being an idiot too?

15 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Guessing the" salvage crew "will find it and pick it up. Probably the most valuable part left.

FIFY

5 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

THIS ^

Hey look at that boat anchoring off my beach. It *must be* full of penniless fuckwits who want to live in my river for free and their boat will likely soon sink and leave me with an oil slick and an eyesore to clean up. Call the Marine Police and roust those bums out of here!

Then I have the issue of kids in my extended family who don't see the point of graduating high school because they are only one stupid video away from being millionaires on YouTube :rolleyes:

Ding ding ding

I am hoping that we will have outbreak of common sense but this hope is just fading away day by day

Anybody can make a mistake, or have an accident. These people were an accident looking to happen and add that to the shameless begging...... yes people can do what they want with their money but apparently some people have money to hand out to dumbasses for fucking up. If I were galactic overlord for a day, I'd make them clean up their mess with their own resources and give the money to some poor but deserving sailors.

If anybody feels like giving these clowns money, I would encourage them to watch Dylan Winter's "Keep Turning Left" videos and give it to him instead.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

I gave them $50. I like them. They have a clueless immortality attitude that I had when I was younger. Before life smartened me up. We've all done dumb things in boats, almost having our truck roll into the water because we didn't chock the tires and didn't know reverse would slip so easily. Grounding our first boat about 50 feet from shore near a beach. I hope for the best of them. 

FIFY

• Like 1

Yep, It riminds me when I was 20 something and bought my first Liveaboard  while still in college and telling people I'm a sailor that lives on a boat..... Thinking that it deserved some respect ....LOL on me

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

They did a 30-40 mile coastal trip. Then spent three and a half days covering about 260 miles. The may have been up to 50 miles off shore, but maybe not.

I'm not sure how much experience they picked up there. Entering harbors at night, that would be ZERO times.

7 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

A couple of weeks ago I connected a relay the wrong way wiring up a remote switch and blew up a pair of expensive contactors and a power converter.

If I start a GoFundMe will you send me $50 for being an idiot too?

I thick he woude if you dissplayed a youthefulle spiritte, zealle, and freeweelin attittude.                              :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

THIS ^

Absolutely right. On the ICW it's getting really difficult to find a place to anchor for even a couple of nights because the locals are sick of the "cruisers" who are really just squatters on a boat.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Come on, LB. They own a smartphone. That's how they called Sea Tow. The question is, did they own a VHF?

The funny thing is we are talking about Florida. There are boats running aground everywhere at all times, big to small fast to slow deep to shoal. It's a shallow state, but I happen to like the boating. These poor sods luckily had the keel fall off within cell phone range but it woulda come off the next time they rounded up into a square wind wave and landed off the back side with a thud.

I can't believe they got that much cash! Good for them. They're not stupid, just slow. Yes, poor too, but last time I looked out on the Marathon Key anchorage, well before the hurricanes last year, I'd say those two hundred boats probably averaged $90 bucks in savings each. These are beach bums, conchs, they work a little here and there. It's like we need to explain America to half the posters here.

They could probably got to the store and buy ten big orange round fenders go out there at low tide , de rig it, in float it high enough to get it off the bottom n bring it in to some intracoastal beach , bail it out plug up the hole(s) in bring it to the yard DIY

Hi everyone, I have started a gofundme page to help me raise money to buy a new boat. I have always loved sailing and I want to travel around the world and do some racing against other like minded people. The boat i hope to buy is shown below and my target is 10 million euro.

Thank you for helping me realize my dream.

Image result for wally yachts for sale

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

Hi everyone, I have started a gofundme page to help me raise money to buy a new boat. I have always loved sailing and I want to travel around the world and do some racing against other like minded people. The boat i hope to buy is shown below and my target is 10 million euro.

you seem to have a freewheelin attitude, you totally deserve to be given a new boat. but only if you were incompetent enough to sink your last one.  

pounds to peanuts you'd get a penny or two if you put it up :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I'm not sure about your attitude; can you tell me more about why you don't want to work anymore?

19 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I read on facebook that someone offered to salvage their boat and they were not interested, they just want money for their next boat.  They are planning on just abandoning the boat where it sits and are moving on to another disaster.  I have been trying to find the comment to screen grab it, but cant find it now.

Already raised 13k plus on that dopey gofundme.

At this point its better to go out there , take the rig off, float it just enough to pull it out to deeper water and sink it.. keep it as your secret # for later....but don't forget to get the keel...$$

They could walk to the nearest truck tire place and buy 2 or 3 used patched tractor tire inner tubes. Get a dive shop to run you out with a tire inflator rigged on an octopus regulator and a 72 cu ft scuba tank and stuff those three inner tubes in the cabin and blow them up. You could then tow the hulk 3 miles out (or further in Fla!) and let the air out of the tubes and sink the hulk.  Cost would be less than a grand.  Rig would be salvaged and probably cover the cost of the 'salvage'.  Ask me how I know!

1 hour ago, frozenhawaiian said:

you seem to have a freewheelin attitude, you totally deserve to be given a new boat. but only if you were incompetent enough to sink your last one.  

That's what his students are for.....

FKT

43 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

They could walk to the nearest truck tire place and buy 2 or 3 used patched tractor tire inner tubes. Get a dive shop to run you out with a tire inflator rigged on an octopus regulator and a 72 cu ft scuba tank and stuff those three inner tubes in the cabin and blow them up. You could then tow the hulk 3 miles out (or further in Fla!) and let the air out of the tubes and sink the hulk.  Cost would be less than a grand.  Rig would be salvaged and probably cover the cost of the 'salvage'.  Ask me how I know!

you left the best part out....shooting it full of holes to deflate the innertubes... and as a bonus you keep that # for later  for snapper fishing

Just looked at the tax rules for crowdfunding. If I understand them correctly, your raised funds are taxable if you supply a product, intend to, or are developing a business, but if you are just asking for money, the donations can be characterized as gifts from one person to another. Crowdfunding on a gift basis of under $20,000 and under 200 transactions 'can' be in many cases exempt from IRS reporting duties. https://www.libertytax.com/tax-lounge/two-tax-rules-to-know-before-you-try-kickstarter-or-gofundme/

Maybe these kids are smarter than they look.

1 hour ago, JoeBleaux said:

I'm not sure about your attitude; can you tell me more about why you don't want to work anymore?

No fair question. Here is my press release.

Hello fellow inhabitants of this beautiful planet. You will have seen many requests on this site all for very worthy and personal reasons. I am raising money to buy a Super yacht and race it at all the great regattas around the world, for the future of this planet. 

Saving the environment. Like so many people I am horrified by the plastic in our oceans, and to help save the seas i will be leading a global awareness campaign to stop beer being sold in plastic bottles. As we attend the various super yacht regattas we will not only be show casing  the glass bottle product in an aspirational setting, we will be rubbing shoulders with our fellow owners- captains of industry who's support we can gain over cocktails with the Aga Khan. Only by gaining their trust and respect can we on the left hope to change hearts and minds of the capitalist elite, and to join our worthy crusade. It is a high profile, low key approach and it is for this reason we have reluctantly decided not to name the boat 'Save the Ocean'. We are hopping to have 'Pussy Galore' ready for this season. Here are some more boats we are considering.

Related image

Image result for wally super yachts

We also will be giving some young people a chance to experience working in the industry. We have already begun interviewing potential crew.

beach+models+2.jpg

Please help us make the world a better place. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, FromTheRail said:

That's one way to get views..........

Tiller cock.JPG

Bravo. Great eye for detail mate!

9 minutes ago, FromTheRail said:

That's one way to get views..........

Tiller cock.JPGwell she's kinky....nice tiller

On one of the Facebook sailing groups someone keeps posting articles about this, and the whole forum gets all salty and fights break out and chaos ensues, and the mods delete the post, and then it gets posted again, and shit fights start again.  It's hilarious.  Now they are throwing the ban hammer around.   People are really worked up about this shite. Lol.  

43 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

On one of the Facebook sailing groups someone keeps posting articles about this, and the whole forum gets all salty and fights break out and chaos ensues, and the mods delete the post, and then it gets posted again, and shit fights start again.  It's hilarious.  Now they are throwing the ban hammer around.   People are really worked up about this shite. Lol.  

You'd think this was the very first time a couple newbs bought a piece of shit boat and wrecked it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Hello fellow inhabitants of this beautiful planet. You will have seen many requests on this site all for very worthy and personal reasons. I am raising money to buy a Super yacht and race it at all the great regattas around the world, for the future of this planet. 

Saving the environment. Like so many people I am horrified by the plastic in our oceans, and to help save the seas i will be leading a global awareness campaign to stop beer being sold in plastic bottles. As we attend the various super yacht regattas we will not only be show casing  the glass bottle product in an aspirational setting, we will be rubbing shoulders with our fellow owners- captains of industry who's support we can gain over cocktails with the Aga Khan. Only by gaining their trust and respect can we on the left hope to change hearts and minds of the capitalist elite, and to join our worthy crusade. It is a high profile, low key approach and it is for this reason we have reluctantly decided not to name the boat 'Save the Ocean'. We are hopping to have 'Pussy Galore' ready for this season. Here are some more boats we are considering.

Related image

We also will be giving some young people a chance to experience working in the industry. We have already begun interviewing potential crew.

beach+models+2.jpg

5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

You keep forgetting to post the link to your GoFundMe page. Idiot!!! :angry:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

You keep forgetting to post the link to your GoFundMe page. Idiot!!! :angry:

newbies :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

depends how arrogant they are, sounds to me like they still think the only thing amiss was that they hit some unknown, uncharted obstruction in the channel

The shoal is a known and charted obstruction and it wanders into the channel.

14 hours ago, NautiGirl said:

How much are these kids going to learn by getting bailed out of their situation within 36 hours I wonder? When I was young and stupid, and needed to be bailed out of one situation or another, it came with grovelling and accepting responsibility on my part, and a stern lecture and repayment schedule on my mother's. If these guys don't spend some time figuring out what they don't know, I won't be convinced they've learned anything beyond the power of going to the media with a good sob story and setting up a GoFundMe account. 

I think there's real merit to this statement.

The speed of internet fund raising really removes the period of introspection that should come with the learning experience. It also gives the appearance of justifying the "none of this was my fault" attitude and removes all accountability.

Some of you guys expressed the opinion that I'm coming down on these two way too hard.  They are literally the ages of my own children. If my daughters did this, I would never just bail them out with $15k and send them on their way again, even if I had that money just lying around.

Ok, they made a mistake and we shouldn't crucify them for it but how will they LEARN if people just throw large amounts of cash at them so quickly?  I'm fairly certain that they are convinced that this was just "bad luck" not "bad judgement."  They will feel empowered to continue telling everyone "fuck off, I don't need your advice. The internet says I didn't do anything wrong."   I really think that they are just going to take this money and run. I don't think they understand the importance of cleaning up that wreck out there or taking responsibility for their mess.

For me, that's the crux of it:  The strongest indicator of responsibility, accountability and LEARNING from this mistake, would be to clean up the original wreck before starting over.

I would totally donate $50 to their fund if they stated that clean up was one of the top goals of the fund.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tempest said:

I disagree.  I'm a noob and I didn't start by buying a 30' boat and heading straight out on the ocean with a poor plan that involved entering a strange port at night with no navigation skills.  I think stupid is the perfect word.

That’s only because you don’t want to settle for a tiny shit box. You need a 40’ shitbox and in the time it takes you to raise the money, you will probably learn to sail and navigate. We’ve held your hand here, my man.

We usually cut them off and use them in newbie stew...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RKoch said:

She ground-looped her plane on her initial attempt ATW, requiring it to be shipped back to factory for extensive repairs.

Also managed to forget to hook up a radio antenna that would have solved their navigation issues. I think a quote at the time was "A poor plan poorly executed".

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
13 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

The shoal is a known and charted obstruction and it wanders into the channel.

I haven't followed the story all that closely.... do they even know there is such a thing as "charts"?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I would totally donate $50 to their fund if they stated that clean up was one of the top goals of the fund.

Prove it.  That's exactly what it says: https://www.gofundme.com/new-sailing-life

The first thing we need to do is get the boat out of the water! Anything extra is to get a new boat and continue our adventure. We arent giving up on our dream

$14,336 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 332 people in 4 days

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I haven't followed the story all that closely.... do they even know there is such a thing as "charts"?

FB- Doug

In the initial article, they were quoted saying that what they were seeing visually (by spotlight) they were having difficulty coordinating with what their chart was showing.

1 minute ago, RKoch said:
10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

In the initial article, they were quoted saying that what they were seeing visually (by spotlight) they were having difficulty coordinating with what their chart was showing.

Well, that sounds true and an easy situation to get into.... it's also easy enough to solve, sit tight (or turn around) until you figure things out instead of plowing ahead. But the real problem was the keel falling off. That would have happened sooner or later anyway; and how would they have learned that keelbolts are critical (unless they started hanging out here).

BTW yesterday's lesson with the high schoolers did not get as far as I'd hoped, but we did have a great discussion/demo of safety gear. And I believe they grasp the concept that the most important piece of safety equipment is between the ears. Two of them saw the charts and plotting tools I brought in, and wanted to know when we were going to start navigating, both said "I love maps" so I gave them copies of the chart and the exercise to see how much they can figure out. I mention this just to show that I don't hate young people or non-sailors

FB- Doug

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, that sounds true and an easy situation to get into.... it's also easy enough to solve, sit tight (or turn around) until you figure things out instead of plowing ahead. But the real problem was the keel falling off. That would have happened sooner or later anyway; and how would they have learned that keelbolts are critical (unless they started hanging out here).

BTW yesterday's lesson with the high schoolers did not get as far as I'd hoped, but we did have a great discussion/demo of safety gear. And I believe they grasp the concept that the most important piece of safety equipment is between the ears. Two of them saw the charts and plotting tools I brought in, and wanted to know when we were going to start navigating, both said "I love maps" so I gave them copies of the chart and the exercise to see how much they can figure out. I mention this just to show that I don't hate young people or non-sailors

FB- Doug

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Agree. If the keel hadn't fallen off they would have just bumped bottom a few times, like thousands of Florida boaters do, and this would be a non-event. And I understand them being confused, many of the passes can be a bit confusing at night even if you'd been through a few years previously. 

10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Related image

beach+models+2.jpg

Nobody has offered to improve your GFMP to cover operating costs which are easily 10% of capital cost per year minimum.    Cost of cheerleaders is easily another 5%.     Plan ahead  dear boy ....... #TimesUp