• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
AmericanVagrant

Sold everything to sail the world...boat sunk on day 2

Today's paper.... The couple is grateful for the contributions, and they expect the wreck will be removed before the end of week.

• Like 2

Wait, found the link to my donations and cropped my name out. He'll probably accuse me of stealing someone else's donation receipt.

Ass.

gofuckyourself.thumb.jpg.1aa51c231181fa49b32e819273bd0e88.jpg

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ajax said:

In what way did I tell anyone what to care about or to mind their own business?

It was the statement I quoted previously - here it is again, with slightly more context.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Please forgive me, but I don't think it's your province to tell me who and what I should concern myself with.  If I followed your advice, I'd never vote in federal elections because that shit is so far removed from me and really doesn't affect me at the local level.

If that isn't "shut up and mind your own business", I don't know what is?

I've chipped in the $50 I promised

I accept your word on that, I'm not asking for proof.

You are positively foaming at the mouth and impossible to have a civil exchange with.

Not at all.  If anyone, it is you who is foaming at the mouth in this thread with righteous indignation and hypocritical bullshit.  Does the word "bullshit" offend you?  What is a polite word that would penetrate your delicate sensibilities?  Do any of these nice words work better for you?  Take your pick: drivel, hogwash, nonsense, rubbish, baloney, bunkum, hooey, malarkey or poppycock?

You know what? It doesn't matter.  Go fuck yourself. 

Right.  So much for a civil exchange, which apparently is a very narrowly defined concept in your world.  Your verbose ranting in this thread is mostly drivel.

15 minutes ago, Ajax said:

He'll probably accuse me of stealing someone else's donation receipt.

Ass.

You are way off the deep end in your presumptions and accusations.  Very typical around here though. 

LOL...provide proof of something he accuses me of skipping out on- Downvotes it.

Looks like we're done here.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Today's paper.... The couple is grateful for the contributions, and they expect the wreck will be removed before the end of week.

Then they will pay everyone back or as much as they can  when they are able to correct their mistake 

Oh wait, sorry. Thats in a different world. 

Ajax,  too bad you didn't  donate that $50 to organizations preserving  clean water, harbors, Puerto Rico, etc. instead of to these meth addicts  

Send me $50.  Hi I pick up trash, bodies, etc in Sheepshead Bay every weekend and nobody sends me anything  

Its good for the birds and shit 

• Like 1

Proa strikes again!

Poking his little stick

If you don’t like him, you are far from alone...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fufkin said:

Just looked at the tax rules for crowdfunding. If I understand them correctly, your raised funds are taxable if you supply a product, intend to, or are developing a business, but if you are just asking for money, the donations can be characterized as gifts from one person to another. Crowdfunding on a gift basis of under $20,000 and under 200 transactions 'can' be in many cases exempt from IRS reporting duties. https://www.libertytax.com/tax-lounge/two-tax-rules-to-know-before-you-try-kickstarter-or-gofundme/

Maybe these kids are smarter than they look.

Cool, so now if they stop just short of $20k and actually use that to salvage and document the process, they could start another GFM for another $20k to get a new boat. This is looking good for them.

55 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Cool, so now if they stop just short of $20k and actually use that to salvage and document the process, they could start another GFM for another $20k to get a new boat. This is looking good for them.

Its the American dream.  Play stupid games.  Win stupid prizes.  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Do you actually believe that they are industrious, responsible and hard working enough to take on some really hard tasks?   I am skeptical......

• Downvote 1

Hahahahahahahahahaha.........too funny..........America,  America,   blah blah blah blah blah blah.........Meghan did it without a  GFMP..........too funny.........

18 minutes ago, Para Handy said:

Twats have made it on to the BBC website. US Couple hope to recover their sunken 'dream' boat.

He  left out the part where he hustled time shares .....I heard mention of the story today on a national AM talk show...I am not far and might drive up and look at the boat if/when it is brought ashore

I had a look at both of their FB pages. Her's is mostly selfies and his is full of pics of him and his snow bum mates smoking cigarettes and drinking beer or videos of him pulling cones. not a single sailing reference on his page - she has a few boat based selfies (like the bikini shot.) I am thinking that posting videos of yourself taking drugs on social media speaks to his judgment in many areas. Yes folks hit the pay button and buy him some more pot.

You people who have given this pair money should do a little research first.

• Like 2

These folks would see the Legend of Rimas as a manifesto and not the cautionary tale comedy it is.....

Here is an image of the keel. When it was still attached to the boat.

There she is! My whole life, my home and vehicle.  She’s got her bottom sanded and ready for a new paint job!  Also got her rudder fixed & ready for anything! • • • #sailing #boating #boatyard #sailboat #liveaboard #girlswhosail #sailinggirls #28ftsailboat #columbiayachts #travel #traveler #lagniappeadventures

36 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You mean like actually reading their GFM page before making a bold statement like this?  Hoisted by his own petard!  Classic.  :lol:

I would totally donate $50 to their fund if they stated that clean up was one of the top goals of the fund.

Engage brain before putting mouth in gear.

He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.
 -- Proverbs 18:13

Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
 - Proverbs 29:20

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Do you actually believe that they are industrious, responsible and hard working enough to take on some really hard tasks?   I am skeptical......

Fuck you, you fucking fuck.  As big dispshits as they are not at least they aren't hating Murica and blaming it on GWB!    Hahahahahhaha!  

• Downvote 6

So many snotty responses.  So many people who know so much more than the couple who gave it a shot and lost their boat. They screwed up. Yes, they did. I know really, really good sailors, sailors who are better than I am, who have lost boats. 

Am I down with the gofundme?  Not so much. I'd rather see them lick their wounds, get jobs and make the money they need to try again.  Other than that, who here has never fucked up on a boat, before?  I sure have.  If your track record is perfect, then keep on sliming the kids. Otherwise, you suck.

As for the juvenile comments about the booty and bikini shots, the Jr High School is down the block. That's where you belong.

• Like 5

Hmm.

"We bought a cheap, old sailboat - we didn't think we'd lose it all that fast. The plan was to get some insurance, but we didn't get to it."

Too bad. Although agreed value and even actual value boat insurance is pricey or hard to find for such an old boat, it's cheap to buy liability insurance which covers costs for cleanup if the boat is wrecked near shore.

I've had an agreed value policy on my boat since 1989 which would make me whole if the boat was lost, unfortunately I've paid more in premiums than the boat is presently worth by 150%, much more if you add accrued interest opportunity losses over the years.  My insurance broker tells me I should just go bare on such an old boat and purchase liability insurance only and sock away the premium savings, and that I should have done that decades ago.

I'm a dumb ass concerning insurance, obviously. 

32 minutes ago, Alan H said:

As for the juvenile comments about the booty and bikini shots, the Jr High School is down the block. That's where you belong.

I'll buy in.  I love titties that size, tight and not floppy.  She should work more on the leg hair situation, looked kinda scratchy in photo 3.  I'm freaked out by her perfect teeth, either orthodontics, caps, or full dentures, pricey work.  If they're not fake it's the most perfect dentition mother nature ever produced.  I'd bang her in a heartbeat, considering my track record over the last few years has been desperate fat cougar hags in search of dudes who can still pump and squirt.

That juvenile enough for you?

24 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Moderator! Help! We have a Pedo accusation! What the fuck is it with cunts called 'Alan' in there forums?

1 minute ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

You can get perfectly good insurance for that shitter with Allstate or many others in one phone call.  I call bullshit!

Fuck You! 

Not an agreed value policy, and an actual value policy will only pay off for $5,000, your buying price, no more and probably much less. Liability only insurance, yep, it's cheap good deal to protect yourself from hurting somebody or your boat becoming an environmental hazard.

12 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Not an agreed value policy, and an actual value policy will only pay off for $5,000, your buying price, no more and probably much less. Liability only insurance, yep, it's cheap good deal to protect yourself from hurting somebody or your boat becoming an environmental hazard.

Yea, might be hard to get coverage for a 49 yo  4 knsb.  Liability should have been possible. Sounds like they signed up for SeaTow at least. 

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

So many snotty responses.  So many people who know so much more than the couple who gave it a shot and lost their boat. They screwed up. Yes, they did. I know really, really good sailors, sailors who are better than I am, who have lost boats. 

Am I down with the gofundme?  Not so much. I'd rather see them lick their wounds, get jobs and make the money they need to try again.  Other than that, who here has never fucked up on a boat, before?  I sure have.  If your track record is perfect, then keep on sliming the kids. Otherwise, you suck.

applause.gif

In my shameful admittance, I like the bikini pics. I think she's cute.

15 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Yea, might be hard to get coverage for a 49 yo  4 knsb.  Liability should have been possible.

Bet the insurance company is glad they didn't. They do need to get that shitbox out of the water before the fuel tank leaks. Filling the tank before they left would have doubled that boats value.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

. I think she's cute.

Sometimes...

Image result for nikki walsh

Sometimes not..

Image result for nikki walsh

You can look at this two ways.

They lost everything they own except for a small ugly dog that snores all the time, not just when sleeping.

or

They lost about $10,000 worth of stuff that they could replace in 3 or 4 months of hard work.

She could replace everything in about a week if she lost the dude and the dog and hit up one of our Florida SA men for some real Maritime adventure!

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

She could replace everything in about a week if she lost the dude and the dog and hit up one of our Florida SA men for some real Maritime adventure!

Which Floridians were you going to rope into this grand adventure?

Wear protection, whoever you are.

9 hours ago, Alan H said:

I haven't been too snotty yet about not checking the keel bolts. An understandable omission IMO. I agree with those who pointed out they were lucky it fell off near shore.

But attempting that pass at night was beyond just ordinary stupidity. As the Notice to Mariners points out, the shoal is in the channel at the moment. That's not at all unusual. As RKoch pointed out, there are a few passes that are well-marked and safe at night. As for the rest, you don't run them at night unless you ran it that day and learned where the shoal is today.

I've made a few contributions to the "there was this time I fucked up" thread in CA but these people did something from the "you just don't" list. That's the short name. It's the "you just don't, or you will lose your boat" list. If you don't know it, you shouldn't be in the Gulf.

start a new thread called .....Well I guess they know now....

live n learn... yep did something along the lines as these guys...sold my 24ftr in cali flew to japan worked building custom homes for a couple years n hooked up with an american stripper n we both flew to Fla to buy the dream boat n bla bla bla .... bought some old  colon archer that needed lots of work n so forth to sail to the great unknown.. well one fine fucked time I needed a tow because my transmission went out on the way from N miami to Ft L.  and I anchored in a small cove in Hollywood Fla.  I was in the process of changing the pressure plates when the Marine cops told me to move it along to Ft L. I coulda called Boat US but being young I thought I'd call my uncle n save the miles. When he arrived the tide was flowin out n I wanted to wait until it switched but he insisted it would be OK. As he was pulling me the current over took the tow n we got all fucked up until my boat was draging his backwards as we were quickly approaching the bridge at Dania we cut the lines n now I was drifting I called the bridge to open and they did open but at some point my boat spun around and they thought I was turning away so the bridge closed now I'm drifting fast twrds the closed bridge completely out of control n my uncle cant seem to get a line from me or anything I throw out an anchor n play out all the line n feel it just bumping along as I'm getting closer to the bridge...just as I'm about to jump about 10 mt away from the bridge it stops..I look ashore and there is this sign "No Anchoring Cable Crossing" this was right in front of Jimbos Sand Bar with everybody watching...so what was the lesson...besides the obvious ...

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I haven't been too snotty yet about not checking the keel bolts. An understandable omission IMO. I agree with those who pointed out they were lucky it fell off near shore.

But attempting that pass at night was beyond just ordinary stupidity. As the Notice to Mariners points out, the shoal is in the channel at the moment. That's not at all unusual. As RKoch pointed out, there are a few passes that are well-marked and safe at night. As for the rest, you don't run them at night unless you ran it that day and learned where the shoal is today.

I've made a few contributions to the "there was this time I fucked up" thread in CA but these people did something from the "you just don't" list. That's the short name. It's the "you just don't, or you will lose your boat" list. If you don't know it, you shouldn't be in the Gulf.

I'd bet real money that these two have never heard of no stinkin' Notice to Mariners or a previously mentioned, upthread, Sailing Directions....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

Fuck you, you fucking fuck.  As big dispshits as they are not at least they aren't hating Murica and blaming it on GWB!    Hahahahahhaha!  

LOL!  More wisdom from Tony the Sheepfucker!

• Like 1

Is it just coincidence that Ed has a boat to sell and is also in the market for a relationship ?   is he really that lucky ?   are we watching a seduction in print ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F'g Dinosaur said:

Is it just coincidence that Ed has a boat to sell and is also in the market for a relationship ?   is he really that lucky ?   are we watching a seduction in print ?

gotta include the required Delorme and make them keep it on AT ALL TIMES

Spoke to the SeaTow that rescued them and took them back the next day to grab what they could from the boat...he was aware of the GoFundMe....and said  they have not made any arrangements to salvage the boat that he was aware of...so it sits...fortunately we are having an unusually mild spell for this time of year record highs and record high lows..light winds....any typical cold front for this time of year would pound that boat into bits on that bar...possibly pushing the wreckage into the already shallow pass....then they'd be in big trouble and not too popular as many commercial boats make their living going in and out of that pass...they are missing a very generous window to get the work done...even DIY doable 

18 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Spoke to the SeaTow that rescued them and took them back the next day to grab what they could from the boat...he was aware of the GoFundMe....and said  they have not made any arrangements to salvage the boat that he was aware of...so it sits...fortunately we are having an unusually mild spell for this time of year record highs and record high lows..light winds....any typical cold front for this time of year would pound that boat into bits on that bar...possibly pushing the wreckage into the already shallow pass....then they'd be in big trouble and not too popular as many commercial boats make their living going in and out of that pass...they are missing a very generous window to get the work done...even DIY doable 

Yea, there is currently an ideal weather and tide  window. If they dilly-dally, a nasty front will complicate things. I hope they do it soon.

Theres several DIY options, but they'd have to have a boat to work from and tow with, plus dive gear and a compressor. Lacking that as they do, they're just better off hiring someone.

16 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Yea, there is currently an ideal weather and tide  window. If they dilly-dally, a nasty front will complicate things. I hope they do it soon.

Theres several DIY options, but they'd have to have a boat to work from and tow with, plus dive gear and a compressor. Lacking that as they do, they're just better off hiring someone.

$5 says these 2 shitbirds take the money and bail....

• Like 5

On 2/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, Sail4beer said:

No one here is insulting your intelligence, merely wordplaying with a morning cup of coffee

I guess you missed the quiet compliment that you’ll be taking the time in saving your money, buying the proper yacht, fitting it out well and during that same time learning to both sail(the easy part) and navigate in order to accomplish your long term goals much as most of us here have. 

But if you want to read it like I called you a dumb Ass with no real plan like the morons we do bash here, I suggest you don’t, ok

?;)

I wasn't mad and I appreciate the hand holding ;)

12 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I wasn't mad and I appreciate the hand holding ;)

Cool. 

You have sweaty palms.

I like that 

5 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Cool. 

You have sweaty palms.

I like that 

Nothing sets the mood quite like a clammy hand hold.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 1:42 AM, B.J. Porter said:

I've got a guy over in a Facebook you should chat with. Says coming into a strange port at night is "basic seamanship" that he teaches in his sailing classes, and he's done it hundreds of times all over the world, and anyone that has a rule about not entering strange ports at night is a giant pussy with no sailing skills.

One *should* have the skills to enter a strange harbor at not. And one should also have the wisdom not to use them except in dire, pressing need, or if a harbor is such a wide open well lit place you can slam dunk it.

Damn, I have been doing it wrong all these years. When we crossed the Pacific we seemed to get to every island about an hour too late to go, got lots of heave-to practice as a result. I am of the 'there are no old, bold sailors) school of being a chicken shit cruiser. Maybe the guy you talked about taught the couple who got into trouble.

1 hour ago, frozenhawaiian said:

Haters gonna hate. I'm sure you're just the life of the party. 

I'm perfectly fine with giving them a little time to arrange salvage, and realistically understand it may take a few days before it happens. And I'm fine with them regrouping and trying again, if they've learned lessons from their mistakes. Although they rightfully should have their mistakes called out, I see no reason to hate them until they give a reason to hate them. Just being  naive and inexperienced alone isn't reason enough IMO.  

• Like 2

Yes, I gifte them creditte to, they diddent leave they boate a floateng hazzarde on teh oceane.                                                       :)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

I agree and is why I posted that screen grab from Facebook where a guy offered to help them recover the boat and they weren't interested and were only looking for $$ to start their next "adventure".  I hope I am wrong.

Two things jump out at me.

-- you "sold everything", and the best you could do is a $5000 boat?
and
-- the go-fund-me plea generated more than you got when you "sold everything"?

Feh.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Haters gonna hate. I'm sure you're just the life of the party. 

I'm perfectly fine with giving them a little time to arrange salvage, and realistically understand it may take a few days before it happens. And I'm fine with them regrouping and trying again, if they've learned lessons from their mistakes. Although they rightfully should have their mistakes called out, I see no reason to hate them until they give a reason to hate them. Just being  naive and inexperienced alone isn't reason enough IMO.  

I don't hate them, I just think that they're idiots and have no faith in them following through and removing the wreck.

First off.  the "we sold everything we own to buy this shitbox"  They must not have had anything good.  That POS could likely be had for free from any of the yards around here just trying to thin out what's there.  

Second.  They didn't lose everything they own.  It's right there, swim out and get it.

Third.  This would have absolutely zero press if it happened further out in the ocean and the sorry ass dreamers weren't pathetic and asking for pity. 

Fourth:  I looked at her instagram.  It's official.. I hate them.  both.  Hippy, vegan, yoga, bullshit.  the world has worn/let them down at the ripe old age of 24.  I can't believe anyone is giving them and their stupid ass worthless dog money.  

27 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I agree and is why I posted that screen grab from Facebook where a guy offered to help them recover the boat and they weren't interested and were only looking for $$ to start their next "adventure".  I hope I am wrong.

Unless they take the money and run, it's premature to accuse them of that. If they do, they would be very foolish. Currently they have enough money to remove the boat, with a little left over to restart their lives. If they abandon the boat, they will be billed the cost of removing and disposing of it. The govt won't be contracting the cheapest salvor, they'll contract the most immediate...so the couple will be on the hook for a much higher amount. Further, the couple will also be relinquishing their claim to any value of the parts or belongings on the boat, including cash they may have aboard. Further, they are subject to fines and possible jail terms, and the legal fees that entails. Given that they now have the means to execute option one,  electing option two would be a very bad choice. 

14 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Unless they take the money and run, it's premature to accuse them of that. If they do, they would be very foolish. Currently they have enough money to remove the boat, with a little left over to restart their lives. If they abandon the boat, they will be billed the cost of removing and disposing of it. The govt won't be contracting the cheapest salvor, they'll contract the most immediate...so the couple will be on the hook for a much higher amount. Further, the couple will also be relinquishing their claim to any value of the parts or belongings on the boat, including cash they may have aboard. Further, they are subject to fines and possible jail terms, and the legal fees that entails. Given that they now have the means to execute option one,  electing option two would be a very bad choice. 

I agree with everything you said.

26 minutes ago, Kack said:

First off.  the "we sold everything we own to buy this shitbox"  They must not have had anything good.  That POS could likely be had for free from any of the yards around here just trying to thin out what's there.  

Second.  They didn't lose everything they own.  It's right there, swim out and get it.

Third.  This would have absolutely zero press if it happened further out in the ocean and the sorry ass dreamers weren't pathetic and asking for pity. 

Fourth:  I looked at her instagram.  It's official.. I hate them.  both.  Hippy, vegan, yoga, bullshit.  the world has worn/let them down at the ripe old age of 24.  I can't believe anyone is giving them and their stupid ass worthless dog money.  

Hey the dogs ok. Back off!

27 minutes ago, Kack said:

As I said her FB is mainly selfies- WTF is it with people like her? They take selfies, 'shop' them until they hardly look like her then post them so all her friends can comment how beautiful she looks. She is as shallow as that pass they tried to enter. Weird because she is quite cute in the more natural pics she posted- far more attractive than any of her posed and shopped ones.

fuck I am glad I don't have daughters...

On 2/13/2018 at 3:34 PM, TheDragon said:

I believe its 25K, 2x12.5K , per gift (from one person?) ...  not total amount of all gifts..   but then again I've never been handed money and had to deal with that tax law..

ok, max amount of a non taxable gift is 14K, if the giver gives more than that, the giver has to file for gift tax with the irs, if the giver doesn't pay, the irs may make the recipient pay..  a giver is limited to a lifetime total amount.   so far I haven't read far enough to see what the recipient is responsible for.

22 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I had a look at both of their FB pages. Her's is mostly selfies and his is full of pics of him and his snow bum mates smoking cigarettes and drinking beer or videos of him pulling cones. not a single sailing reference on his page - she has a few boat based selfies (like the bikini shot.) I am thinking that posting videos of yourself taking drugs on social media speaks to his judgment in many areas. Yes folks hit the pay button and buy him some more pot.

well, it's legal in colorado and therefore a new acceptable norm..

1 hour ago, Kack said:

You are underestimating the publicity value of that excellent, very quotable headline: "They sold everything and bought a boat to sail the world. It sank on day two.".

1 hour ago, Kack said:

Fourth:  I looked at her instagram.  It's official.. I hate them.  both.  Hippy, vegan, yoga, bullshit.

Oh!?  Hippy, vegan, yoga certainly does not equal bullshit, even if they aren't values and qualities you share.  In this context, hate is bullshit.

9 hours ago, captpiratedog said:

start a new thread called .....Well I guess they know now....

live n learn... yep did something along the lines as these guys...sold my 24ftr in cali flew to japan worked building custom homes for a couple years n hooked up with an american stripper n we both flew to Fla to buy the dream boat n bla bla bla .... bought some old  colon archer that needed lots of work n so forth to sail to the great unknown.. well one fine fucked time I needed a tow because my transmission went out on the way from N miami to Ft L.  and I anchored in a small cove in Hollywood Fla.  I was in the process of changing the pressure plates when the Marine cops told me to move it along to Ft L. I coulda called Boat US but being young I thought I'd call my uncle n save the miles. When he arrived the tide was flowin out n I wanted to wait until it switched but he insisted it would be OK. As he was pulling me the current over took the tow n we got all fucked up until my boat was draging his backwards as we were quickly approaching the bridge at Dania we cut the lines n now I was drifting I called the bridge to open and they did open but at some point my boat spun around and they thought I was turning away so the bridge closed now I'm drifting fast twrds the closed bridge completely out of control n my uncle cant seem to get a line from me or anything I throw out an anchor n play out all the line n feel it just bumping along as I'm getting closer to the bridge...just as I'm about to jump about 10 mt away from the bridge it stops..I look ashore and there is this sign "No Anchoring Cable Crossing" this was right in front of Jimbos Sand Bar with everybody watching...so what was the lesson...besides the obvious ...

Ha! Bridges and currents, check. Anchoring over a cable crossing, check (using old charts, from before cable was there).

You get bonus points for combining the two. Mrs Steam still describes, in lavish detail, the 2nd or 3rd bridge we went under on the ICW in our new-to-us trawler (the first motorboat I'd owned in my life) in the way-long-ago. The bridge was a couple of feet higher than our air draft, at east according to the sign boards, and I had observed the following current but did not expect it to accelerate so much as we approached the bridge fenders. She was standing on the forward cabin trunk intending to gauge the height of the bridge and began shouting "No, we can't make it" and reverse prop walk was kicking the stern around; about that time I realized we were going under no matter what I did, so completed the turn-around with a quick burst of forward-then-reverse and we went under backwards. Fortunately she was wrong by at least a couple of inches.

The cable anchoring scenario was a lot further back, could more properly be blamed on my middle uncle but I did at least have the sense to not grab the cable with my hands or anything metal. I don't recall the lights on shore blinking much less going out..............

FB- Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well, it's legal in colorado and therefore a new acceptable norm..

Legal or not, I still don't think it is a smart career move telling the world about your 'hobby'. Who the fuck wants to hire a pot head? 

10 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Hippy, vegan, yoga certainly does not equal bullshit, even if they aren't values and qualities you share.  

Vegan = attention seeking teenage fad or eating disorder. My wife has a Phd in nutrition and has worked in the field of eating disorders for 25 years. For most young women being a vegan is exactly that. It is a form of anorexia. 

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Vegan = attention seeking teenage fad or eating disorder. My wife has a Phd in nutrition and has worked in the field of eating disorders for 25 years. For most young women being a vegan is exactly that. It is a form of anorexia. 

Wrong LB.......Vegan is an Ojibway word of First Nations Heritage that translates as  "  poor hunter " .   We in Canada know this stuff.......you upside down people do not.........

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, RKoch said:

LMAO at attention-seeking troll accusing vegans of attention seeking. 

'LMOA'? Was my comment about selfies a bit close to home for you teenage girls. Grow up an talk like an adult.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, F'g Dinosaur said:

Wrong LB.......Vegan is an Ojibway word of First Nations Heritage that translates as  "  poor hunter " .   We in Canada know this stuff.......you upside down people do not.........

Should'nt you be glued to the winter Olympics? it is the only time you Canadians ever get to win anything.

On 12/02/2018 at 6:47 AM, BrickTopHarry said:

More info in this YouTube interview with the SlowBoatSailing guy:

I got as far as 1.48 and gave up!

2 minutes ago, mad said:

I got as far as 1.48 and gave up!

:42 seconds. The voices out of synch with the lips didn't help.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Does your wife know you're driving her PhD?

41 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Should'nt you be glued to the winter Olympics? it is the only time you Canadians ever get to win anything.

I think we won over  the upsidedown people as we didn't get any of the criminals that were transported to upsidedown land......just you did......are you a criminal LB????

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Legal or not, I still don't think it is a smart career move telling the world about your 'hobby'. Who the fuck wants to hire a pot head? 

Hire a 'pot head' in Breckenridge, CO? You don't ski much do you?

I think Vail resorts does drug testing so if you work for the evil empire, well you aint imbibing...  Also, with the housing crunch, all those mllenial's got no where to live if they did not get into the worker housing vail provides(big rules on drugs there as well), so they are living in Leadville, Edwards and even Walcot (Edwards is getting pretty pricy though) so the dream of being a ski bum and living anywhere close to the mountain is not happening so what's the point??  He blew off his cushy timeshare rent situation(if he was smart enough to have one in the first place), so chances are they are not coming back to CO.  Don't facebook, does he or she have any skiing pics on there??  

4 hours ago, F'g Dinosaur said:

I think we won over  the upsidedown people as we didn't get any of the criminals that were transported to upsidedown land......just you did......are you a criminal LB????

Yes it is strange that we don't do better at the winter Olympics given the vast white continent we live on. How come you never see a Canadian on the Pro surfing tour? 

And mate the old convict joke wasn't even funny when most dropped it from their act in the '50's. 

4 hours ago, lasal said:

Hire a 'pot head' in Breckenridge, CO? You don't ski much do you?

Not in Colorado no. Is everyone a stoner there? They must sell a lot of twinkies.

For a couple of glorious years, Colorado was a bit like our Oz.  I personally gave gas money to a couple of particularly useless stoners to Transport themselves there. Knowing that they would never, ever be able to raise enough money at one time to come back, without first blowing it on weed.  

Well, so now it’s legal here, but at least that lot is gone.