• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Tetonsail

Catalina 27 Tuning Guide

6 hours ago, Tetonsail said:

I am trying to help a newbie friend tune the rig on his Catalina 27 - anybody have a tuning guide? Thanks in advance.

inner stays sound sound a low A flat, the uppers a C#   

• Like 1

Pretty much any tuning guide for a basic masthead rig will suffice. Mast plumb fore and aft.  Masthead centered over the boat. Adjust shrouds to keep mast in column on each tack. I like the forward lowers a bit tighter than the aft myself. 

The mast is pretty much a telephone pole. Rake should be about 6-9", not plumb. Fwd lowers just a little tighter than aft lowers. Leeward shrouds will start to show a little slack in 10 in of wind, be floppy loose at upper end of Genoa range. Mast should stand straight athwart ships,  not bend off to leeward. Back stay will only affect head stay sag, not mainsail. Tighten it as the wind gets stronger.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:28 PM, RKoch said:

The mast is pretty much a telephone pole. Rake should be about 6-9", not plumb. Fwd lowers just a little tighter than aft lowers. Leeward shrouds will start to show a little slack in 10 in of wind, be floppy loose at upper end of Genoa range. Mast should stand straight athwart ships,  not bend off to leeward. Back stay will only affect head stay sag, not mainsail. Tighten it as the wind gets stronger.

Pretty much this.  Sailed on one of these for most of my formative years.  

There's an owner's manual on the Catalina 27 owners website that has a rudimentary tuning guide that will help you out.

http://catalina27.org/public_pages/c27manuals.htm

Used to be a Cat 27 OD class...wonder if an email to Catalina wouldn't turn up some info on the class/sailmakers/guides?

I sold the Catalina 27 a few years back but relied on the Excel Spreadsheet (attached below) for guidance.  The boat sailed well for what it is, took us all around the Chesapeake.  It's not fast but it is a great, great boat - inexpensive, easy to work on, inexpensive to maintain.  Make sure you have Catalina Direct saved to your browser bookmarks though. 

Credit on the spreadsheet to http://www.richardandjudybell.com/c27/rigging.html.

Copy of rigtension Cat 27.xls

We take masts down and re-rig Catalina 27 a half dozen times a year 

We quiz the owner about how it has been handling with rediectvto weather helm. We try to figure out in what winds tgeniwner sails.  On our lake the answer tends to be “whitecaps scare me.”

Those who Sail in everything get coached about adjusting their rig themselves. 

So... we set up the mast in the center and put about 600 pounds on the uppers. 

We move the mast forward or back from where we found it based upon what we found out about the helm in the interview. 

We set the bsckstay and forstsy tension so the forestry feels about right for about 10 mph of wind.

then we tighten the forward lowers enoughbto put about an inch of prebend in the mast .

we hand tighten the act lowers to keep the mast from bending further 

What does this do??

it makes the forestry nice and sloppy. You can easily push it back and forth. 

As the rind builds and the msinsheet is  tensioned , the forestry stiffens 

think of it  as an automatic shift.

as the breeze builds more the rig becomes a bit sloppy fir those conditions.... either the owner understands he /she will have to add a couple turns on the shrouds on windy days, or we are forced to set it for bigger breeze and make the boat into  a light wind turd. 

People who  enjoy a boat that ghosts slong nicely in light wind, and who just spent  couple thousand bucks to get us to make their bottom slip through the water tend to love spending five minutes adjusting the rig for “todsy’s Conditions.”

most have no idea how simple and easy it is to adjust the rig and simply love having a sailboat that sails easily. 

Many choose to be lazy and just Sail with it a little tight but it seems to me every sailor lives to know how to make his/ her boat work just right. 

Catalina 27s are so straightforward and easy to understand, I never have fun into an owner who couldn’t master rig tensioning in the same time it takes to show him/ her how to do it and explain why I am setting it as I am setting it. 

Note: roller curlers make the light wind setting sorta pointless.  We don’t let roller furlers  sag very much at all. 

• Like 1

Re fore/aft mast rake.  This does depend on how the boat floats.  I had a 1980 outboard motor and tiller version which I think floated a little higher in the stern than inboard models with full pedestals.  So I found the boat balanced better with the mast more or less plumb.   If the boat floats lower in the stern the same mast position would appear raked aft a bit when using a plumb bob.