Sign in to follow this  
badlatitude

So Much For Fiscal Responsibility

Paul Ryan Is Kinda Sorry He Was a Total Failure at Balancing the Budget

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) offered the best, most frank assessment of Ryan's time as Speaker when he told Reason's Nick Gillespie that fiscal conservatives were better off under Speaker John Boehner, who actually did reduce the deficit during his time with the gavel—and who did it while Democrats ran other parts of the government:

I would rather have the guy swearing at me and letting me have a vote than not considering me at all...Under [Ryan's] speakership, we've had the fewest open amendments of any speakership. We've had zero....Everything has to be pre-approved by the Speaker.... Under Boehner, you could walk up...and offer an amendment as long as it was germane to the bill, you got to vote on it. And this was true on basically all appropriations bills. Now, we don't even do appropriations bills. They come up with some omnibus bill and spring it on us at the last second and they say, 'This is the bill.'

Ryan was handed a golden opportunity to change the direction of America's fiscal trajectory—to stop driving off that cliff he talked about on the House floor back in 2011—and he choked.

Amash remains the best that TeamR has to offer in the House.

4 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-on-coming-debt-crisis-i-wont-be-here-when-it-blows-up

Trump doesn't care about the deficit because he wont' be in office when it blows up. That's Team R in a nutshell, fuck you, I got mine.

It's pretty hard to say this without irony around here, but that really is refreshing honesty.

• Like 1

He'll be remembered as a true statesman.

Here's more fiscal responsibility

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-administration-paid-company-14-million-recruit-2-border-agents_us_5c0f2f73e4b08bcb27ebbbc9

The Trump administration paid an astonishing $13.6 million to a private company this year to increase border protection staffing by just two agents, according to a scathing report by a federal watchdog that called for “immediate” action to rectify “serious performance issues.”

Image the outcry had this happened under Obama.

Imagine!!