• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
mikewof

DIY radon mitigation ...

Recommended Posts

A coworker loaned me his little electronic radon count gauge. I have a brand-new house, I figured I might see my reading inch up to 4, maybe I'd pull a 5. The little fugger gets back to me a few days days later ... 14. Shit. A couple days later, it inches up to 17. I figured "okay, but nobody lives in the basement, it's not that bad." I plug it in on the third floor near the bedrooms, I assumed it would be negligible, radon sinks, right? Nope, not when you have a modern, high-performance Energy Star home! Everything is locked up so tight in this house, that every friggen molecule is molested by the energy cops before it is allowed to go outside. The upstairs reading was lower ... 16.

Now I'm kicking myself for having been ignorant of this mess for two years. I can't even relax in this house without thinking of alpha emitters in our lungs. So now I'm doing a rush radon mitigation this long weekend. We have the French drain, so I won't have to drill into the slab, I'll just need to attach the sump cover seal, hack into that, run the duct through the wall, and I have one of those "slimline" radon fans picked out, at least it looks good outside the house.

Anyone here ever done a DIY radon job? Any suggestions as to how far above the sump level I should hang the bottom of the pipe? How did you seal the sump cover to the slab? I looked for some kind of giant wax ring, but I can't find anything. Pretty much everything that I find on the Google machine is for drilling into the slab, next to nothing for using a sump pit. The pros don't seem to share that info too freely.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikewof said:

A coworker loaned me his little electronic radon count gauge. I have a brand-new house, I figured I might see my reading inch up to 4, maybe I'd pull a 5. The little fugger gets back to me a few days days later ... 14. Shit. A couple days later, it inches up to 17. I figured "okay, but nobody lives in the basement, it's not that bad." I plug it in on the third floor near the bedrooms, I assumed it would be negligible, radon sinks, right? Nope, not when you have a modern, high-performance Energy Star home! Everything is locked up so tight in this house, that every friggen molecule is molested by the energy cops before it is allowed to go outside. The upstairs reading was lower ... 16.

Now I'm kicking myself for having been ignorant of this mess for two years. I can't even relax in this house without thinking of alpha emitters in our lungs. So now I'm doing a rush radon mitigation this long weekend. We have the French drain, so I won't have to drill into the slab, I'll just need to attach the sump cover seal, hack into that, run the duct through the wall, and I have one of those "slimline" radon fans picked out, at least it looks good outside the house.

Anyone here ever done a DIY radon job? Any suggestions as to how far above the sump level I should hang the bottom of the pipe? How did you seal the sump cover to the slab? I looked for some kind of giant wax ring, but I can't find anything. Pretty much everything that I find on the Google machine is for drilling into the slab, next to nothing for using a sump pit. The pros don't seem to share that info too freely.

Thanks.

Mike - 

Radon gas seeping in thru basements is a concern on our area.   My radon mitigation system is nothing more than some 4" PVC pipe w/a "S trap" (like your sink drain) going thru the basement floor, w/a low power air pump maintaining a vacuum in the pipe, venting above the gutters of the house.   It has a liquid vacuum gauge so that you can see it's working - but, I'd bet that you could assemble the thing yourself for $50 worth of PVC and the price of the pump.   

Pics here: http://wpb-radon.com/Radon_system_photos.html  are very similar to my installation. 

HTH - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the two worst parts of the radon system is getting the pipe through the wall to outside air, above the roof line, and cutting the hole in the concrete slab in the basement to make the suction pit.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-install-radon-mitigation

https://certi.us/cms/radon-training/state-radon-training-requirements/81-resources

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Why the S-trap? I was going to pipe straight into the French drain and then seal the top of the drain pit with one of these;  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Radon-Mitigation-Basin-Cover-THD1085/300484358

Would the s-trap also trap water that I would prefer to fall back into the sump pit?

Dunno - I didn't put it in - it's just there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikewof said:

...radon sinks, right? Nope...

we've looked at houses with radon mitigation systems installed and they all vented through the roof. with the french drain don't you have a gutter around the perimeter of the basement? ours did. how is just covering the pump going to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went through this as we're selling the house.  Radon level came back at 4.9 and buyers wanted radon mitigation installed prior to sale as the levels are above EPA stated minimums.  I'm a DYI'er, but there are some things I just do not want to tackle, like Radon mitigation.  Quotes came back from two good local contractors recommended by our realtor at $1350.....with a guarantee the radon level will be 2 or less.....I'll write the check this this.  Considering digging into the concrete basement floor, running PVC pipe through the foundation wall into the garage and through the garage roof (brand new roof last year) the $1350 is a deal....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I sold a couple years the buyer did a radon test, it came back at something around 7. They wanted me to install mitigation, I told them no. House sold, they never added it.

Here's a little light reading about radon. I'm more concerned with my sun exposure than radon.

http://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

When I sold a couple years the buyer did a radon test, it came back at something around 7. They wanted me to install mitigation, I told them no. House sold, they never added it.

Here's a little light reading about radon. I'm more concerned with my sun exposure than radon.

http://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html

Thanks for that Bmiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not intending to be insulting...really not.......before you commit large amounts of agony, I think you'd be well served by rechecking with another instrument? Do you know that the one you used was calibrated properly (I don't even know if they require calibration)? Caveat....I know nothing about radon detection instrumentation. I simply draw on the instrumentation experience I have had when I managed our Haz Mat Response Team for a few years. Depending on the instrument, one out of calibration could produce wildly inaccurate readings while another out of calibration might produce nearly imperceptible differences....depends on the instrument and what is is measuring.  

 

I have nothing else to offer. Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, derelicte said:

we've looked at houses with radon mitigation systems installed and they all vented through the roof. with the french drain don't you have a gutter around the perimeter of the basement? ours did. how is just covering the pump going to work?

I'm running the 4-inch pipe out of the basement and then up to the roof along the outside of the house. The pump will be outside. I like the interior one, but it seems a lot harder to do.

The French drain was installed under the house, it's already there, I just need to cover the sump pit with an airtight cover, so the pump sucks air from under the foundation, rather than from inside the house. But yeah, the internet hasn't been too helpful with the specifics of how I set up the pipe in the sump pit.

BMiller, I read the link, thanks, it took some of the edge off. I'm still wary of alpha emitters, but radon is a noble gas, so hopefully whatever radon my kids, have inhaled, they've then exhaled before it could do much damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Point Break said:

Not intending to be insulting...really not.......before you commit large amounts of agony, I think you'd be well served by rechecking with another instrument? Do you know that the one you used was calibrated properly (I don't even know if they require calibration)? Caveat....I know nothing about radon detection instrumentation. I simply draw on the instrumentation experience I have had when I managed our Haz Mat Response Team for a few years. Depending on the instrument, one out of calibration could produce wildly inaccurate readings while another out of calibration might produce nearly imperceptible differences....depends on the instrument and what is is measuring.  

 

I have nothing else to offer. Good luck. 

It was supplied to me by an ex-NASA engineer, and is supposedly calibrated by the manufacturer. When my friend reset and measured after his mitigation, it came back with a reading of 1.0, what the installers found with their own sensors.

But yes, you have a good point, it's a, cheapish (around $125) electronic sensor, I was wary too. I looked into it a bit, radon sensors are apparently a reverse smoke detector. In a smoke detector, when the alpha source is interrupted by smoke, which absorbs the alpha, the alarm goes off. In a radon tester, the each time the sensor detects an alpha count, it just ticks up once. It's a pretty simple design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It was supplied to me by an ex-NASA engineer, and is supposedly calibrated by the manufacturer. When my friend reset and measured after his mitigation, it came back with a reading of 1.0, what the installers found with their own sensors.

But yes, you have a good point, it's a, cheapish (around $125) electronic sensor, I was wary too. I looked into it a bit, radon sensors are apparently a reverse smoke detector. In a smoke detector, when the alpha source is interrupted by smoke, which absorbs the alpha, the alarm goes off. In a radon tester, the each time the sensor detects an alpha count, it just ticks up once. It's a pretty simple design.

Understood...but they don't have to be complicated instruments to be FUBAR. I'm sure you know that. Good luck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikewof said:

I'm running the 4-inch pipe out of the basement and then up to the roof along the outside of the house. The pump will be outside. I like the interior one, but it seems a lot harder to do.

The French drain was installed under the house, it's already there, I just need to cover the sump pit with an airtight cover, so the pump sucks air from under the foundation, rather than from inside the house. But yeah, the internet hasn't been too helpful with the specifics of how I set up the pipe in the sump pit.

BMiller, I read the link, thanks, it took some of the edge off. I'm still wary of alpha emitters, but radon is a noble gas, so hopefully whatever radon my kids, have inhaled, they've then exhaled before it could do much damage.

ok. that's what I remember them looking like. but one house we looked at did manage to run it through the walls to the attic.

the french drain in our house was added after it was built. there was a 1" trough (gutters?) in the floor where it meets the concrete wall. the troughs ran to a sump pump so just covering the sump wouldn't have been too effective. luckily that house never had a radon issue and even if it did if the buyers wanted it fixed we would have told them to get lost. gotta love a seller's market! :)

I'd try another test first too, though. buy the canisters at the local bog box store and send them off for testing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an expert, but I understand there is a strict protocol about testing with respect to even opening doors while exam going on.  From own experience buying a house with radon inspection part of process, our sellers kept opening the doors/windows despite seals placed by inspectors, invalidating the test and had to be repeated.  Sounded like you couldn't be opening any doors or windows for test to be valid too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The take away from the posted article, for me, is safe versus acceptable exposure. 

Right now everyone of us is inhaling radon, carbon monoxide, particulants and many other substances that will kill you in the right concentration.

The only "safe" level is zero. But the same can be said for ETOH, yet most of us temp that fate regularly. Hell you can overdose on water.

The "acceptable" levels vary around the world. The EU has standards for radon higher than here in the US. 

Best way to sell product is work to get the standards really low then tell people "it's gonnna kill you" if we don't install the XYZ thingy. Not saying I believe radon is harmless just looking at it rationally.

YMMV

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I’m trying to optimize my house to collect Radon. Kinda hoping to turn into Spider-Man. 

In all honesty, this is rather interesting. I’ve never even thought to test my house for radon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this