Sign in to follow this  
George Hackett

Boracay Race on life support

The major sponsor of the Boaracay Race and Series has pulled out. 

SBBR IS CANCELLED!

To: Subic Sailng Much to our regrets, Standard Insurance is pulling out its sponsorship together with its support equipment to the above Regatta as a result of President Duterte's calling Boracay Island as a "cesspool". As a responsible company which adheres to strict environmental compliance, we are restraint in exposing the regatta, its organizers and participants to health risks aside from also risking our reputation. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you.

ERNESTO T. ECHAUZ Group Chairman Standard Insurance

However, the organiser are doing thier best to make sure the Race is on.  The Philippines Long Distance Telephone Company recently approached the MYC about sponsoring a sailing event.  Bryan Levinge I discussed this and felt that in the interest of the sport that we should direct PLDT to the Boracay Race.  As of yesterday afternoon I believe they have talked. 

Marcus Avecilla has said that they are doing their best to make something happen. 

“Noted. We will scramble to get this thing going still. As we do not want to loose credibility as the organizers.  Appreciate your support. Will keep you posted.”

We are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best. 

I think the boss has said the hotels must close so hence the regatta is toast?
Perhaps a blessing so they get control of sewerage so it doesnt end up like Phuket where none of your crew would dare go swimming any more

On the surface, yes. And I believe this happened also back 2015. As explained to me. New regulations came out, fines and new permits paid. And all were happy.  So I suspect the same will happen again. I have also been told that a lot of,the hotels have actually built to the building codes including waist management.  Then of course there are those that didn’t. Par for the course.

friends of ours who have been there recently say it is business as usual. The alge bloom which is a normal thing at this time of the year has not closed the beachs. And the waters are clean.  Oh well.