Lat21

Caribbean 600

Recommended Posts

Looks like a great turnout of multihulls in next weeks C600 and the forecast is calling for winds 20-27 so should be a fast one, unlike last year. The entries with preliminary Mocra ratings:

Apollo                          Dazcat 1495                            1.250

Dazzla                          Dazcat 1400                            1.190

Elvis                             Gunboat 62                             1.476

Flow                             Gunboat 60                             1.376

French Tech Caraîbos   Multi50                                1.642

Fujin                            Bieker 53                                 1.494

Guyader

Gastronomie               Ts42 Stealth                            1.282

Morticia                      Modified Sea Cart 30              1.531

Paradox                       Orma 60 mod 63' Tri              1.603

The Multi 50 and Paradox are likely be out front, probably ahead of the big monohulls.  Fujin, Elvis and Morticia should be close together. Fujin owes Elvis a bit of time so that could be a challenge as the few times we've raced against them, we've been very close. Morticia will be sporting their new lifting foils but their smaller size in the heavier breeze and seas will make for a sporty ride. Routing currently has Fujin finishing in less than 2 days. However it turns out, our Seattle gang is looking forward to leaving the Seattle weather behind for some big breeze in warm seas.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morticia deserves a better handicap just for the fact they're doing a 600Nm race on a 30'er! :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you need some weight on the rail with that forecast! I know a fat guy who'd be happy to be ballast!

 

a couple of numbers jump out at me. I'd expect Flow to be much closer to Elvis. The Multi 50 won't see much of Paradox. Mortician is f'd. 

My boat on boat prediction...

 

Paradox

Multi 50

Fujin/Elvis/Flow (even money)

Morticia (unlikely to finish due to breakage)

TS (hopefully they finish)

Dazcat(s)

 

Bummer Phaedo didn't come out. Best class in C600 history. Wish I was there!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see how Flow goes with her new daggerboards.  They have a stellar crew.  Soma, I'd love to have you but our liferaft only holds 8 and we've got the full Seattle contingent anxious to go someplace warm.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, the forecast is truly 'fresh to frightening'.

It going to take some balls to drive hard at night, it's been blowing old boots in the NE Carib for weeks now.

For me the winner on corrected will be Elvis or Fujin but never rule out the Frenchies!

 

Guru 600.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am curious to see how well (or not) the TS and Dazs can hang with the big boys.  Heck of a forecast if that holds!  Looks rather nautical.  Keep it right side up all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What lifting boards does Morticia have fitted? Are they sailing 3 up or 4 up? I presume based on lat21's comments a liferaft is a requirement, but beyond that how do you get a Seacart 30 offshore certified?

Is the Multi 50 that much lighter than Paradox so as to drive the number up? Otherwise I agree they will have a tough time keeping with Paradox especially given the forecast.

Same issue with Flow vs. Elvis? That is quite the rating jump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samc99us said:

Same issue with Flow vs. Elvis? That is quite the rating jump.

 

That rating delta doesn't make any sense to me. The displacement between them is +/-5%, mast height is same or close, LWL is same, beam is the same, asym c's vs asym straight (both deep). As I said, I'd score it even odds. If anything, I'd favor Flow's C's and slightly greater RM (from a purely mathematical analysis). With that said, it's a new setup for Flow (with the new daggerboards) so finding the groove and staying on the throttle will be hard (I imagine). The centerboard Gunboats basically can't fly a hull, but now the guys on Flow should be able to do it, at will, on all points of sail. That'll be a HUGE shift in how they sail the boat. The guys on Elvis are among the best, most well-oiled crews out there. They are definitely ok sailing on one hull on all points of sail. With so much time on the GC circuit and aboard Elvis, I expect them to more easily and reliably sail to the boat's potential. Neither camp is especially strong as offshore sailors. That's why Phaedo would've been an interesting addition. Oh well.

 

As for Fujin, this is a race that will play to their strengths. C-boards, T-rudders, beamy and light, a little shy on sail area (but right for the expected forecast), lots of offshore miles sailed together. If I had to bet, I'd say Fujin, Elvis, Flow.

 

It'll be great to watch, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other prediction, Paradox wins. That boat is SO fast, and so tough, and so easy to sail well. Like Fujin, she's a little shy on sail area, but that won't hurt in this event/forecast. I did 2 C600's on Paradox and we broke one cable tie on a winch handle pocket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on Apollo, can’t wait, forecast looks ace and a quick time should be favoured. Beers on Wednesday evening would be great :)

if your competing, be safe and fair winds. See you there for some sun ☀️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Soma, if the forecast holds Paradox should smash it and win on elapsed as well as corrected, the M50 will be second.

Looking forward to following the race...!

15 hours ago, soma said:

I think you need some weight on the rail with that forecast! I know a fat guy who'd be happy to be ballast!

 

a couple of numbers jump out at me. I'd expect Flow to be much closer to Elvis. The Multi 50 won't see much of Paradox. Mortician is f'd. 

My boat on boat prediction...

 

Paradox

Multi 50

Fujin/Elvis/Flow (even money)

Morticia (unlikely to finish due to breakage)

TS (hopefully they finish)

Dazcat(s)

 

Bummer Phaedo didn't come out. Best class in C600 history. Wish I was there!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be too quick to right off the Morticia boys. They are tough, experienced sailors with plenty of brains trust and know how on board. The c foil and t rudder mods that have been done to the boat are for this sort of forecast. My opinion is knowing these guys and their capability, so long as it all holds up they will challenge the front runners, maybe even show a couple the way. Go Shaun and team Morticia. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Morticia is doing well in this forcast and company and with that rating - I will be very impressed..... What about mast and sail area is that normal SC30 or modified?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I've sailed on and against SC30's. Awesome, tough little boats. I'm sure the boys are top notch sailors but...I expect that the sea state will park them up. Certainly upwind from Saba to St. Barths will SUCK for them. The hot reaches will also be spooky, even with c-boards and t-rudders. 

 

This is going to be a great event!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mortica has a very cool sail inventory. Yes, they will have their hands full but they are very capable guys. My hats off to them. I've Ocean raced them in my previous 30 foot Grainger cat in 25 knots and they struggled, in fact we blew them away in those conditions, however Mortica is a very different boat now and modified and set up for such conditions now as they knew it was her weakness. When i sold my Grainger 30 cat I retired from ocean racing 30 foot multis :-) I'm enjoying the water line length of a 50 footer these days.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soma,

regarding the delta between Elvis and Flow ..I have had a look at the numbers and they seem broadly correct.The main reasons for Elvis being quicker are:

Elvis is 2383 kgs(or 15.7%) lighter than Flow,
800mm longer hulls,
has 18sqm(or 10.7%) more main
and 6 sqm(or 9.5%) more jib.

Flow does however have 34sqm(or 8.9%0)more spinnaker are than Elvis, but spinnakers are relatively cheap in the mocra rating.

 

Regards

Wombat

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had an awesome reach next to Morticia out to blowing rock and back in last years Heineken. It was blowing 20 and we were doing 22+ a few boat lengths apart. That was pretty flat water and when they were on their old foils. We pulled ahead but it was very close. Fun times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following the tracker: Morticia isnt going too fast here 12+kn in a good breeze on the first reach - while Paradox goes 23-27kn seems about the same speed as Pheado 3 that started ahead. 

TS42 seems to gain on Morticia here - maybe too big waves for the small tri...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like great action between Fujin and Elvis. 

Didn't realize the F4 was going to be racing. Looks like a good race between them and Flow. 

That formula 50 isn't impressing me much. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like Morticia and the 50tri lost som at the first beat by going out from the coast . but the 50 is after Elvis and Fujin now.... Paradox is impressive against Pheado I think.

 

Falcon going well now - must be foiling a lot - keeping up with 60ft Gunboat....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Following the tracker: Morticia isnt going too fast here 12+kn in a good breeze on the first reach - while Paradox goes 23-27kn seems about the same speed as Pheado 3 that started ahead. 

TS42 seems to gain on Morticia here - maybe too big waves for the small tri...  

Pheado not racing...........that's the record pace that it set last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea must be something - now Paradox is even with that record then ...... But else tracker is not good - Morticia is late reported....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree the 50' tri seems under performing. Not sure that they ever go that well though. That one is a fairly late model one too.

Morticia would be getting a real flogging in 25kn offshore, nearly more water going over the boat than under it!!! 

The stealth is also underperforming. They would have to be 2 sailing it down wind to only be doing 10kn.

Fuijin is flying 21kn on yellowbrick is very fast(yellowbrick averages)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morticia behind the TS. I love that little boat! Go Guyader! 

I'm guessing Flow is sailing a little gingerly with their new setup.

Elvis is slaying! In touch with Paradox after 150nm isn't bad! 

The beat to St. Barth's will see the monos make some inroads (and the lil Multis should fade). The reach to Guadeloupe will be a riot.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange that Flow and Fujin both stopped transmitting behind Saba and haven't been heard from since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Flow did some circles around where Fujin was last seen (see AIS track). Flow is underway again on AIS and the YB. Fujin went dark both on AIS and YB. 

 

Weird. 

IMG_2186.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, soma said:

Looks like Flow did some circles around where Fujin was last seen (see AIS track). Flow is underway again on AIS and the YB. Fujin went dark both on AIS and YB. 

 

Weird. 

IMG_2186.PNG

This is making me nervous and I hope to hear some news soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fujin is back and tracking on my screen. No circles like I see with Flow, but yes seems they both blipped out in similar area for a bit - nasty squall is my guess? Looks like Flow recovered after some loop-di-loos but Fujin appears to be crippled and losing ground to the rest of the fleet.... I was biting my nails at her drag race with Elvis damnit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

correction - Fujin has not resumed tracking (YB or AIS) since the SW corner of Saba - I was on the wrong track. Hope to hell that all is OK with those guys..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Flow stopped for a bit and then kept racing I’m guessing Fujin’s dropped their rig. I hope I’m wrong, but if I’m not, I really hope everyone is okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fear is worse than just dropping a rig. YB is normally hanging on a pushpit. AIS would be on the rig. 

 

Hopefully this is just a comms error and everything is fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cynophobe said:

My tracker is saying Morticias last update was 2 hrs ago, at 3:30. Anyone see a newer position. 

Yer , even their AIS hasn't updated for a while.

Not looking good?

WTF is WOW up to?

I know its very lightly built but there seems to be a lot of nursing going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morticia just showed up on the 06:50 track - That's good!

Been thinking about those guys reaching through the night. Makes me feel old!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fujin capsized, wow, I'm just glad all the crew are safe, no easy task in those conditions.

I bet the gusts in the lee of Saba were ferocious.

I wonder if they suffered an 'auto tack' catastrophic gust and shift in the blink of an eye?

They are bad enough at the Simpson Bay start line when sailing upwind to Phillipsburg at the Heineken IN DAYLIGHT but at night with no warning?

Damn, I hope they can recover her when the seas lie down in a week or so.

Kudos to the crew of Flow for standing by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bummer and commiseration for fuijin. Tough day for them.

I do know how to right a 50' cat if the rig stayed in the boat though without damaging itB)

Hope they get on with the retrieval.

Pretty sure morticia have made the decision early on to nurse the boat and finish the race.

Not their conditions 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, teamvmg said:

Morticia just showed up on the 06:50 track - That's good!

Been thinking about those guys reaching through the night. Makes me feel old!

That's a relief. Massive effort to get through the night I reckon. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Paul Koch said:

Ouch!

Quote

On Monday 19th February at 20:20 AST, Fujin capsized close to Saba Island and the eight-man crew were observed standing on the up-turned hull. All of the crew are now safe. 
[...]
Fujin's Crew: Greg Slyngstad, Bradley Baker, Peter F Johnston, Paul Bieker, Gina Borza, Fritz Lanzinger, Michael Leslie, Jonathan McKee

https://www.facebook.com/fujinsailing/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone on this board know any of the Fujin crew?  It’d be interesting to hear what happened. Occam’s razor suggests a gust when they were already on the edge....

 

glad to hear that they are all safe. That’s a minor miracle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Student_Driver said:

Does anyone on this board know any of the Fujin crew?  It’d be interesting to hear what happened. Occam’s razor suggests a gust when they were already on the edge....

 

glad to hear that they are all safe. That’s a minor miracle. 

I'm sure Greg will give a full account here before long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been thinking the same.  Paradox is also not showing up on AIS, at least not that I can find  on Marinetraffic.com.  Last position was off Marigot so hopefully just a failure in the AIS or turned off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear everyone got off the boat fine and hope there were no injuries.     

 

     I got dismasted on my trimaran in the lee of St Kitts by one of the downslope gusts that roar down the leeside of the volcanic peaks. Statia and Saba have the same conditions in the lee and in the effort to stay close to shore to avoid headsea you often find yourself in close where those gust come tumbling off the bluffs and cliffs and hit you from straight above! Hard to head up when the down burst will not allow such an action. I noticed from photos that FUJIN has a big hydraulic cylinder under the boom as part of the mainsheet and those can be slow to release in such conditions and I would always have a double ended setup with faster block and tackle for instant major dump action when overpowered. Not sure if that was the case with FUJIN but I get nervous with those hydraulics used on mains on a multihull. 

    We witnessed Geoff Cook flip his 50' cat in the BVI Spring Regatta back in the day. He and his family LIVED on that boat and imagine coming ashore in the rescue boat and having to go over to the pool bar to tell your wife that your are checking into the hotel for a couple of days. 

    Deep water all around SABA so hopefully the rig is intact and the boat can be flipped back up without further damage. 

Katabatic

 

Katabatic

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rasputin

 

the big hydraulic ram under the boom that you mentioned.  Is that one of those Carboni Magic Trim units?  Noticed that the HH55 has one of these for main control  

Could you share some color on the “slow to release” observation?  

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SD.

     I have no idea what make that trim cylinder in on FUJIN and the experience I have with hydraulic sheeting on a multihull main is from about 25 years ago when we installed one on a Newick 40 trimaran. A Gougeon wing spar and really wide curved traveller was also part of that package. The traveller was controlled (barely!) by a line driver and was so awkward and fear inspiring that one was left to depend on releasing the main sheet via the hydraulics and we almost put that boat over a few time the next season. I'm sure that the newer hydraulics are more responsive and I think that the rig on FUJIN was built by Lorima. I did add an extra tackle on the dead end of the in boom system on the tri that the business end of hung out of the bottom of the boom right over the helmsmans head and could be tripped much like a 'panic button'. That saved us from going 'down the mine' a few times but the tri was converted back to more like the original rig and the traveller truncated for a more reliable system.

    I'm looking forward to hearing more of the tale of FUJIN soon and hope my mention of my reservations about hydraulics is unfounded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

SD.

     I have no idea what make that trim cylinder in on FUJIN and the experience I have with hydraulic sheeting on a multihull main is from about 25 years ago when we installed one on a Newick 40 trimaran. A Gougeon wing spar and really wide curved traveller was also part of that package. The traveller was controlled (barely!) by a line driver and was so awkward and fear inspiring that one was left to depend on releasing the main sheet via the hydraulics and we almost put that boat over a few time the next season. I'm sure that the newer hydraulics are more responsive and I think that the rig on FUJIN was built by Lorima. I did add an extra tackle on the dead end of the in boom system on the tri that the business end of hung out of the bottom of the boom right over the helmsmans head and could be tripped much like a 'panic button'. That saved us from going 'down the mine' a few times but the tri was converted back to more like the original rig and the traveller truncated for a more reliable system.

    I'm looking forward to hearing more of the tale of FUJIN soon and hope my mention of my reservations about hydraulics is unfounded.

wasn't slow release of hydraulic main part of the gunboat g4 capsize incident?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fujin has a "belt and suspenders" mainsheet. It WAS hydraulic, but there was also a cascading (?) 4:1 rope mainsheet that was the primary means of trimming/easing main. It had plenty of throw. If I had to guess (without knowing the facts, I'd bet that they had a reasonably large headsail up that they would've been using on the reach behind Nevis/St. Kitts, and the transition from south shore/backing/dying breeze to north shore/gusty/lifting breeze caught them with their pants down. But who knows. 

 

Very relieved to to read that Paradox is ok. They've reappeared on the tracker  

Looks like Flow is retiring. Falcon retired. Tough year, and it's only 1/2 over so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issues with dumping hydraulics is unless you size the "dump valve" very bigly, it just takes time to release all that fluid - and over she goes. I know a couple of the crew - glad they're all ok.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it’s more than the valve that has to be seemingly oversized, all the pipes to the reservoir need to be capable of handling the flow.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute shame to hear about Fujin. Crew on board are absolutely top notch, so I'm glad the finger pointing is at systems. Fingers crossed the rest of the competitors make it through okay, that swell can be absolutely nasty in breeze on conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trevor B said:

And it’s more than the valve that has to be seemingly oversized, all the pipes to the reservoir need to be capable of handling the flow.

And don't forget how oil viscosity effects flow.  I agree with how the Bermuda race is managing the mainsheet release with the following requirement:

3.33.5  Mainsheet Release: The crew of a multihull must be able to manually release sufficient mainsheet or traveler to the the end of the boom to move at least one (1) meter (3.3 feet) in under two (2) seconds from any steering or consistently manned trimming station while racing.  

Don't be surprised if in the future, this rule is extended to automatic release beyond a prescribed heel and it will apply to both sails. 

M

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea what has happened to Guyader G - the TS42.... and go Apollo........... and Dazzla  what you lot probably dont know is that the skipper of Dazzla who is on board is a mere 86 years old......... they had a leak at the start.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, trackday said:

And don't forget how oil viscosity effects flow.  I agree with how the Bermuda race is managing the mainsheet release with the following requirement:

3.33.5  Mainsheet Release: The crew of a multihull must be able to manually release sufficient mainsheet or traveler to the the end of the boom to move at least one (1) meter (3.3 feet) in under two (2) seconds from any steering or consistently manned trimming station while racing.  

Don't be surprised if in the future, this rule is extended to automatic release beyond a prescribed heel and it will apply to both sails. 

M

 

 A foot and a half a second at the end of the boom doesn't sound fast for an emergency dump (I'm used to much lower performance boats so clearly don't know what I'm talking about but I believe I can dump the main faster than that on  the old school 5kntsb I sail)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bruce Sutherland said:

and trackday .... suggest you read ISAF spec regs about how quickly a liferaft should be released and then compare to reality and scrutineering...... 

Thanks Bruce... I am very much aware and engaged in the SER's for multi's.  The Berumuda safety committee was diligent working with many of the teams that have been active in this segment of the catamaran fleet.  However this is neither the forum nor the correct board to discuss what was or what was not included in the safety requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KC375 said:

 A foot and a half a second at the end of the boom doesn't sound fast for an emergency dump (I'm used to much lower performance boats so clearly don't know what I'm talking about but I believe I can dump the main faster than that on  the old school 5kntsb I sail)

You are correct, dumping 3.3' in 2 seconds is not a huge requirement but it becomes much more difficult when that sheet has an initial load of 8 - 12 tonnes and the person handling the sheet is falling into the cockpit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who the fuck titled the report on the front page?

The editors of SA have been very flip about a lot of things. This is the first one that has really bothered me. Of course multihulls can capsize. Does that make them "Unsafe at any Speed". I don't think so and I think it's a really stupid thing to say about an accident, especially before finding out what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Who the fuck titled the report on the front page?

The editors of SA have been very flip about a lot of things. This is the first one that has really bothered me. Of course multihulls can capsize. Does that make them "Unsafe at any Speed". I don't think so and I think it's a really stupid thing to say about an accident, especially before finding out what happened.

Idiotic title that would mean this it was something basic wrong with the construction of the boat.... and this was racing - not "ordinary traffic" - so the title is totally misunderstood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Idiotic title that would mean this it was something basic wrong with the construction of the boat.... and this was racing - not "ordinary traffic" - so the title is totally misunderstood.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

come on guys, isn't this 'sailing anarchy'??

Anything goes to get a rise.

If you are easily offended surely Scuttlebutt is the place for you!?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, racinginparadise said:

come on guys, isn't this 'sailing anarchy'??

Anything goes to get a rise.

If you are easily offended surely Scuttlebutt is the place for you!?

 

In this case though SA is shitting in their bed.  Fujin is a very well made boat from a very respected builder, designed by one of the best sailboat designers and sailed by some of the best sailors.  Its a terrible day for these guys so It stands out as unbelievably lame for SA to post that kind of crap on their front page...crapping on the sailing community and their readers.  Real content would be calling up the sailors and finding out what happened, how everyone got out safely, and any lessons learned.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, foiledagain said:

In this case though SA is shitting in their bed.  Fujin is a very well made boat from a very respected builder, designed by one of the best sailboat designers and sailed by some of the best sailors.  Its a terrible day for these guys so It stands out as unbelievably lame for SA to post that kind of crap on their front page...crapping on the sailing community and their readers.  Real content would be calling up the sailors and finding out what happened, how everyone got out safely, and any lessons learned.

Not to mention that the sponsor of this forum is a cat builder..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, racinginparadise said:

come on guys, isn't this 'sailing anarchy'??

Anything goes to get a rise.

If you are easily offended surely Scuttlebutt is the place for you!?

 

... but one expect the level of knowlegde to be higher than this - bec there is really no connection that can spark that introduction - and they really make it worse when they link to the story - so all who didnt know the term can find out. ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking news!! Racing car driver crashes car while racing!!!

Driver was heard to say :  “I was going very fast and as I was competing in a race I was pushing hard to be competitive and lost control for a split second and crashed. But it’s designed for these sorts of incidents so we were confident that if things went pear shaped I’d be ok. It’s a bummer but shit happens when racing. That’s part of the game. We’ll take it back to the workshop and  fix ‘er up and be back racing again soon. We really appreciate everyone’s concern.”

In other news; Catamaran tips over while racing in big breeze on a reach in the ocean. Crew saved by staying on the upturned floating platform. The skipper was heard to say   “We were going very fast and as we were competing in a race we were pushing hard to be competitive and lost control for a split second and we tipped over. But it’s designed for these sorts of incidents so we were confident that if things went pear shaped we’d be ok. It’s a bummer but shit happens when racing. That’s part of the game. We’ll take it back to the workshop and  fix ‘er up and be back racing again soon. We really appreciate everyone’s concern.”

 I don’t know of any of the boats except Morticia and I’m sure they all have top notch crews but my experience of how Morticia is prepared and sailed leaves nothing but big respect. They quietly do things with that little lightweight thing which proves they are nothing but mad, keen and amazing good sailors who choose to sail a fast wet little trimaran because they can and because they love having a go and they love that shit. 

Muesli bar, sir?

Yes please, with a cup of salt water, thanks. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

25 knot Caribbean  sailing is a " big breeze " ?

Many reports of 30 sustained and gusts to 40 but I get your point.  It is maybe a learning that less than half the multihull fleet is able to finish (6 of 11 retired already) and really only 2 (at best) of what you might call true performance cruisers (rather than outright racers) will make it to the end (and interesting to see where they place relative to the monohull sisters).  Perhaps a bit eye opening for those following the multihull fleet and sector.

That said there are a fair number of retirements in the monohull fleet though not nearly as many (as a % of the fleet) as for the multis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was exhilarating and brutal. On Apollo we topped out at 28 knots, went down the mine 3 times and had to retire with engine and electrical issues unfortunately. 

99B39E18-EE81-4A97-8773-06F24C745DCB.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it's a stupid title but...

This is Sailing Anarchy and most titles on the FP are picked to offend/get a rise out of people (it seems to work really well with the Multi crowd that seems to be sensitive to this)!

And while it's true that some people think that about multis, it's not the title of a FP article that is going to make them think that (and a balanced article on the FP is not going to make them change their mind either). If you think of it as a tongue in cheek statement, it will help get over it!

Glad everyone involved is safe and let's hear the actual story before judging, shit is going to happen when racing and pushing hard. 

I agree that the number of retirements seems high and doesn't speak well for the reliability of multihulls.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darrens44 said:

... had to retire with engine and electrical issues unfortunately. 

Engine? Electrical? Sailboat?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Airwick said:

 

I agree that the number of retirements seems high and doesn't speak well for the reliability of multihulls.

It blowing so har that the multis can really use their power to the limit  - speed and waves- so it really will be hard for the gear - no wonder things breaks- Monos just cave in an fends off the powers of the wind - it obvious that multis sailed hard in a race will get more problems complex as they are .  .... and if it never breaks - its too heavy...

Share this post