Sign in to follow this  
nolatom

Oh joy---140mph go-fast boat from Mercedes

http://gcaptain.com/mercedes-unveils-2-million-amg-cigarette-racing-boat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+(gCaptain.com)&goal=0_f50174ef03-e85da9c05e-139795957&mc_cid=e85da9c05e&mc_eid=0a747aadd9

And it will cruise at 75, even in 6-foot seas. 

With all respect to the pros, I've never trusted the wannabee Sunday-afternoon go-fast cigarette boat "skippers" to have any idea what the fuck they're doing besides mashing the throttles all the way forward and destroying even distant eardrums with a dry exhaust setup. 

Free country, I guess.  I just don't want to have to guess if they see me and are going to alter course while I'm making 5 knots under sail.   Call me predjudiced.  'Cause I probably am...

Made for the Vinny Boombatz gold chain swing'er.......Everyone has one in their marina.

I learned at an early age that anything much over 50 MPH on water means your basically living on luck.

3 hours ago, D.M.D. said:

Made for the Vinny Boombatz gold chain swing'er.......Everyone has one in their marina.

Put the Ferrari logo on it and you'll have every Vinney Badda-Guido lining up to get one...  thinking this is more for the Ali and Hassad crowd... 

Had an amusing experience a few years ago in my boatyard. A couple of top line coke smuggler boats appeared at the gas dock and hung around for a bit - multiple blown big blocks and very fast.

An extremely ridiculous looking little guy got out of one and came into the yard for something - looked 50-ish, obviously dyed black Beatle haircut, black jumpsuit, mirrored shades, heavy gold chains including a full on dog chain around his neck with a gold bar the size of a credit card dangling from it etc.

Extremely eye catching - for all the wrong reasons.

I realized later it was Reggie Fountain.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Had an amusing experience a few years ago in my boatyard. A couple of top line coke smuggler boats appeared at the gas dock and hung around for a bit - multiple blown big blocks and very fast.

An extremely ridiculous looking little guy got out of one and came into the yard for something - looked 50-ish, obviously dyed black Beatle haircut, black jumpsuit, mirrored shades, heavy gold chains including a full on dog chain around his neck with a gold bar the size of a credit card dangling from it etc.

Extremely eye catching - for all the wrong reasons.

I realized later it was Reggie Fountain.

He made a lot of money playing that role, dunno if he lost it all in the crash or didn't get to keep any of it anyway. He once said that he wanted the number of ex-wives to match his boats horsepower. OTOH he ran a training course for guys buying his boats, supported junior sailing, and the few times I talked with him on relatively serious topics, he seemed to be fairly smart & reasonable guy..... so I assume he was playing a role as Vinnie The Fuckin' Fastest Boom-Boat Guy. Maybe it was fun after living the first couple decades of his life in Fountain, NC

-DSK

He is back with the new ownership providing vision and strategy in this powerboat building boom cycle

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

He is back with the new ownership providing vision and strategy in this powerboat building boom cycle

I see you're right! Haven't seen any newer-than-brand-new Fountains booming up and down the river in 8~9 years, I assumed they folded and stayed folded. Grady-White was closed for a while too, a lot of boatbuilders have come and gone.

The image sucks (from the viewpoint of somebody with more than 3 brain cells firing) but a lot of very clever engineering goes into Fountains, if I were going to buy a boom-boom boat that's what I'd get. I'm more tempted to get a Scout or Fairchild, rebuild the hull with maybe a step or two, and put a gas turbine in it. 1920s looks, Navy speed. I'd have to get a white smoking jacket and a brass telescope.

-DSK

• Like 1

And a woman in a long summer dress with a parasol.

• Like 1

Puttin’ the ‘douche’ in ‘douchecanoe’

damned things are endemic in s. Floriduh and one almost killed us. Going thru the narrow marks at Featherbed Banks. Hear the POS coming. Wife pulls over to the starboard side, as close to the mark as she dares. Plenty of room on our port side to pass. But oh no, the douche takes us on our starboard... spray hitting us, passed by inches. Literally.

free country, my ass. Some things should have restrictions. 

what's it rate ?   does it foil ?   does speed matter ?    what if the engines were  lithium powered Musk electric ?   Could it fit on a Space X ?    shit i bought popcorn and you guys have nothing to offer.......boring.

Comes with a complimentary T-shirt that reads:  "I'm a total wanker, but I'm rich!"

Imagine some fool with one of these in your local waters. Just like the brain-dead machos on jetskis, only a lot worse.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:31 PM, J28 said:

Uses Mercury, not AMG engines.  Fail!

As a Merc employee.... I’ll just say I’d take that 1350 over some custom job from AMG. Let AMG stick to the awesome madness they do with cars. 

I meant no offense to Mercury - I support big American HP and jobs!  But you would think that with AMG being a, you know, engine company, they would have AMG engines in their AMG boat....  BTW, I checked out the 1350 engine...WOW!  Is the block a custom casting for Merc or is the engine based on production block?

20 hours ago, J28 said:

I meant no offense to Mercury - I support big American HP and jobs!  But you would think that with AMG being a, you know, engine company, they would have AMG engines in their AMG boat....  BTW, I checked out the 1350 engine...WOW!  Is the block a custom casting for Merc or is the engine based on production block?

It starts life as a GM 8.2 liter V8. Then it gets new internals, twin super chargers, marinized, and some tuning. It also has a 1650 hp big brother, but that only gets sold to race teams. 

I was holding the camera.

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

It starts life as a GM 8.2 liter V8. Then it gets new internals, twin super chargers, marinized, and some tuning. It also has a 1650 hp big brother, but that only gets sold to race teams. 

I hate quoting myself, but too late to edit. They probably didn’t use an AMG engine because most car companies have gone to aluminum blocks. Those live short lives in saltwater. It wouldn’t be cost effective to do a one off for a boat. I’m surprised they didn’t take our’s and tweak it a little bit just so they could put their name on it though.