bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

1 hour ago, Couta said:

now you've got 2 Jugs on with the Voodoo croo! 

Please forgive my ignorance...  I'm curious...  what's being wagered?  Best I can guess via Google is something related to the Bundy Jug drinking contest at Customs House?

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

Please forgive my ignorance...  I'm curious...  what's being wagered?  Best I can guess via Google is something related to the Bundy Jug drinking contest at Customs House?

You're onto it Your Mom - rum bets...in this case crappy Bundaberg Rum ...aka Bundy....standard for every major race....a "Jug" is a "pitcher" in your parlance...and after a few... "Jug of Bundy" can become a "Bug 'o Jundy"....and the barman will still get it right!

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Any SA'ers in Melbourne flying up to Sydney tomorrow? I'm looking for a lift to Tulla in the arvo....just putting it out there! Cheers Couta.

Skybus?

• Like 1

Bundy Jugs are OK Couta, but I always loved those legendary post-Hobarts orders at the Customs House or the Shippies:

"Innkeeper, 1000 beers for my friends, if you would be so kind" 

• Like 1

Good luck to all on here that are heading south. Have a safe trip and remember to firstly clip on and then think of those at home before you go and do something that you may not come back from

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Ta Sportscar...gave little brother a snapshot of the forecast over the family lunch yesterday....He's pumped...the Patriot team are looking good!!

Thanks Couta, they do look good after a solid lead up. Recliner has left no stone unturned in his super thorough preparation. Its in the lap of the gods from here.

• Like 2

Think we need a dedicated setup for drinks for the crews who can let loose, also Customs costs too much, I have heard stories of big money being spent

11 minutes ago, bayboy said:

Think we need a dedicated setup for drinks for the crews who can let loose, also Customs costs too much, I have heard stories of big money being spent

If you hear a story IT IS'NT TRUE!

Nothing said in Customs or Shippies is true,  & those that make the BIG spend don't want the story getting home.

• Like 1

Pretty definitive response re sail stacking. Should end a few arguments on this thread at least. 

Comanche & Info live-streaming the race. 

Best TV coverage on 73 7mate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Pretty definitive response re sail stacking. Should end a few arguments on this thread at least. 

Don't know why it's a bloody question. RRS are pretty clear.

Ditto bullshit about outriggers. Do you really need to consult a higher authority?

Can only think it's people stirring shit and reminding others not to cheat.

• Like 1

Looks like the maxis will arrive at Tasman island early  morning of the 28th and will be a glass out in storm bay and the derwent, could be handy for the skinny boats.  Plenty of running breeze so I reckon Patrice at $17 may be worth a punt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swanno said:

Good luck to all on here that are heading south. Have a safe trip and remember to firstly clip on and then think of those at home before you go and do something that you may not come back from

^ and secondly, clip on.

Bets of luck you eclectic lot, we'll all be cheering. 

16 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Tasman island early  morning of the 28th and will be a glass out in storm bay and the derwent,

That coincides with the transition around midnight ahead of the SW change and the timing of that has remained rock solid now for 24 hours in the ACCESS model. The 60'+ will not want to arrive at Tasman Is too early otherwise they will have a swarm of TP's up their arse.

So I am on Celestial for the race, and looking forward to a really cracking take between the two.

My bets for overall? Somewhere between Teasing Machine or Ichi Ban. 

Current routing has us arriving 4 hrs after the missus, on WOX. About 50 is hrs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Potter said:

So I am on Celestial for the race, and looking forward to a really cracking take between the two.

My bets for overall? Somewhere between Teasing Machine or Ichi Ban. 

Current routing has us arriving 4 hrs after the missus, on WOX. About 50 is hrs.

Best of luck

I bet Teasing Machine

And If you guys make it just 4 hours behind a canting keel RP 66, then that's awesome

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Comanche & Info live-streaming the race. 

Best TV coverage on 73 7mate. 

Live streaming video for the whole race? Where’d you see that

Might get a bit of this after the start but after that it looks like a skinny mini & TP52 race for mine. 

35 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Might get a bit of this after the start but after that it looks like a skinny mini & TP52 race for mine. 

What do folks reckon the TWA is in the above video? 130?

15 minutes ago, ASP said:

What do folks reckon the TWA is in the above video? 130?

Looks 130 something. They are going to have to find this extra 10 that the owner says has been buried or it will be a tough race.

1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

Weather briefing mentioned the two boats have live streaming and that no other boats are allowed, even to private web pages.

3 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Don't know why it's a bloody question. RRS are pretty clear.

Ditto bullshit about outriggers. Do you really need to consult a higher authority?

Can only think it's people stirring shit and reminding others not to cheat.

Reference? Nothing called out in any of the race documents.

Latest ACCESS model indicates they won't be seeing 20k until later in the afternoon on Wednesday and the transition through the trough off/north of Gabo is now hanging around like a bad smell until late Wed night, so will fuck with a few more boats. Other than that everything else looks steady as a rock.

So effectively, if Ichi Ban finish in working order, they should have the win covered, otherwise the winner will come from Gwello, Celestial, Zen.

Teasing Machine is the unknown, and with a rating lower than an underarm delivery they will have a good chance, but the weight of the yacht could be an issue.

Who knows what will happen in the motor boat division.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skipper_nz said:

So effectively, if Ichi Ban finish in working order, they should have the win covered, otherwise the winner will come from Gwello, Celestial, Zen.

So let me guess..unless your on a TP52, you've got no chance.

3 minutes ago, Skipper_nz said:

Teasing Machine is the unknown, and with a rating lower than an underarm delivery they will have a good chance, but the weight of the yacht could be an issue.

Who knows what will happen in the motor boat division.

Teasing Machine would like more wind. The forecast suits the 52's at the moment. Ichi still the boat to beat IMO but we know anything can happen in the Hobart. Getting through the transitions will be crucial and sometimes you need luck. Can't see the Big Indian winning this one even though I'd like them to. Will be interesting to see how BJ goes this forecast suits her the most but Oats with new optimized sails will be hard to beat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, samc99us said:

Reference? Nothing called out in any of the race documents.

in the briefing this morning.. sail stacking near my start, then struts at around 39:30

Jury has ruled: http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/media/3438755/jury-interpretation-1.pdf

That means none of this:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jackolantern said:

As below. They mention it during the briefing. Did not say if whole race but cameraman / woman will be dropped off WOXI WOX & one other. Doubt they’d do the whole race. Give away too much info. 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Did not say if whole race but cameraman / woman will be dropped off WOXI WOX & one other. Doubt they’d do the whole race. Give away too much info

Livestream the duration of race from Comanche & Infotrack and camera persons as normal ditched outside on WOXI, WOX and Comanche.

2 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

in the briefing this morning.. sail stacking near my start, then struts at around 39:30

Jury has ruled: http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/media/3438755/jury-interpretation-1.pdf

That means none of this:

That means none of that if a spinnaker is flying at the same time? It doesn’t all together ban their use

20 minutes ago, JL92S said:

That means none of that if a spinnaker is flying at the same time? It doesn’t all together ban their use

Not connected to the clew(s), per the ruling. You need to read the ERS definition of 'whisker pole'.

45 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Not connected to the clew(s), per the ruling. You need to read the ERS definition of 'whisker pole'.

It’s a total cock up. The jury was simply asked to rule on whether a spinnaker could be set at the same time as a jib on a pole. They answered “no”, which has always been the case, but for some reason known to nobody they then added a nonsense sentence about attaching sheets vs clews or failing to meet the definition of a whisker pole  

So the problems are: 

define spinnaker - 75% mid girth? Most big boat A3s are less, certainly the MH0 is less. 

So what is it, if it can’t be defined as a whisker pole because the sheet is lead through the eye? By their own circular reference it must therefore be a spinnaker pole. But typically a spinnaker pole attaches to the brace or tack, not the sheet or clew. 

They should just delete the second sentence of the ruling, it’s jibberish. 

Not to mention the issue of who the fuck asked the stupid question in the first place? 

Wouldn’t a simple definition of “outrigger” be any strut or pole that is used to position a sheet to leeward outside of the hull? 

20 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Wouldn’t a simple definition of “outrigger” be any strut or pole that is used to position a sheet to leeward outside of the hull? 

You would think so LR, but they use a few more words for the hell of it:

1845E999-D6D6-4D1E-A68C-E1D6E298B168.jpeg

Chaps, it stands as it is.  3 frontsails OK, as long as none of them is a spinnaker .... yes, the question then becomes, what's one of them spinnaker thangs? And then answer will probably be, anything that isn't a jib; and at the margin, you know where to refer to.

I can't believe, 3rd easy year in a row, although not so easy as last year.  Missing this year for various health reasons, next year therefore promises to be 50 knots from the south for 3 days, always a great prospect in a TP.  Buckets and bilge pumps anyone?

The whisker pole could be attached to forward mast, and extended to leeward aft of the shrouds per text of RRS. 

Incidentally, the game will be decided by two things:

1. How wide early - the satphone airtime suppliers will be happy;

2. Where will the 28th change come from?  If from SE (more favoured than not), thence go wide.  If from SW, then wide looks ...ordinary at best.

Not my choice to make this year.

GFS and Euro look to be diverging again, with euro forecasting more higher avg TWS.  They both tend to agree that from hours ~63 to~69 winds are going to be light and fluky. There after pressure is forecast to hold in the low teens for both models, although from radically different directions with GFS forecasting NNE veering to SSE and Euro NNW  backing to SSW! But, at least not a total glass off.  Got to think that the HC race is in Div1. Thank you Capt. Obvious!

Finally, just for grins I ran a routing for the boat I currently crew on.  40' rates about 30sec/hr slower than a J-125. 3 days 9 hours. 

Euro69.JPG

GFS63.JPG

S2Hcomp6fe.JPG

7 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

The whisker pole could be attached to forward mast, and extended to leeward aft of the shrouds per text of RRS. 

do keep up.  Clew vs. sheet is the question.

8 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

So what is it, if it can’t be defined as a whisker pole because the sheet is lead through the eye? By their own circular reference it must therefore be a spinnaker pole. But typically a spinnaker pole attaches to the brace or tack, not the sheet or clew. 

They should just delete the second sentence of the ruling, it’s jibberish. 

Not to mention the issue of who the fuck asked the stupid question in the first place? 

Their wording is a circular, but the ERS is pretty clear.

Definitions:

(i) SPINNAKER POLE
A spar attached to the mast spar to set a spinnaker.
(ii) WHISKER POLE
A spar attached to the mast spar and a headsail clew.

A strut attached to a jib sheet is neither of these (not attached to spinnaker or the clew of a jib).. therefore is illegal.

The ERS doesn't appear to have a definition for a reaching strut as far as everyone understands the use of one - which is stupid.

and I suspect that Scallywag instagram shot above - taken during training off Sydney - is what triggered the question.

Pretty funny as I have used the pole attached to the sheet on a whisker pole a bunch in the normal context (jam racing, wing on)

The latest forecast final tweaks are favouring those of all over 60'. It shows some pressure returning Wednesday afternoon to the NSW south coast and those bigger boats getting through the trough off Gabo unscathed and maybe a train smash for those behind. The shutdown after midnight Thursday on the Tasmanian SE coast as the change comes though will impact all except the 100' or the 60'+ depending when they arrive at Flinders, but probably not both.

The above indicates the 60'+ is where the handicap money should go.

Have a good Xmas.

• Like 2

When is the last time boats, particularly the 50'+ crowd had to tack between the Heads and Tas?  Seems like it has been all downhill for a few years.

36 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The latest forecast final tweaks are favouring those of all over 60'. It shows some pressure returning Wednesday afternoon to the NSW south coast and those bigger boats getting through the trough off Gabo unscathed and maybe a train smash for those behind. The shutdown after midnight Thursday on the Tasmanian SE coast as the change comes though will impact all except the 100' or the 60'+ depending when they arrive at Flinders, but probably not both.

The above indicates the 60'+ is where the handicap money should go.

Have a good Xmas.

Ichi Ban maybe able to hang onto the sterns of some of the 60's and if she gets through she'll be in the game. 

45 minutes ago, Roleur said:

When is the last time boats, particularly the 50'+ crowd had to tack between the Heads and Tas?  Seems like it has been all downhill for a few years.

2015 was a glamour start then a very rapid change to 25-30 on the nose. Last two races were fast reaching/running. 

On 12/24/2018 at 7:52 AM, Couta said:

Ok Feilberg...you sure are a cocky little unit ......Box reckons he'd be happy to double down on the bet...so now you've got 2 Jugs on with the Voodoo croo! 

Correct.

Couta as I’ve had the pleasure of doing a Hobart with the box head I’d be happy to buy a few jugs to share with that lunatic so no need for a bet there.

As a side though we could have a small wager on how many times someone says “fuckernel boxhead” as he appears naked, with a lifejacket & tether shortly after the sea mark rounding, sweat running down those cheeks and a look of urgency to get to the aft rail. You can only imagine right now but trust me when I say that after you’ve seen and heard semi-digested cured mass produced pork and battery raised force fed foul products with “all the trimmings” exit a human accompanied by and riding on a river of stale beer, red wine and no doubt some amber spirit concoction at somewhere near the speed of sound something inside you is torn between wondering if he’s going to be ok or if he’ll need medication. After several days of this your respect for what is essentially an eating machine will only be reinforced, I won’t dwell too much on the smell as on your yacht it will be travelling at a reasonably slow apparent wind, downwind in a blanket of what could be described as a slow moving depression, (pro tip… get him to put the hatch in as he comes on deck) filling the internals of the yacht with what seems like a permanent stain, spray and wipe purple blend and white vinegar in water will be your only chance to get it out, act quickly don’t delay.

I can’t go on.

Best of luck and see you at the finish

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I kinda feel like Feilberg is a decent bloke who started out on the wrong foot here...

Not feelin’ it. 

Someone more literate wrote the Boxhead narrative. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozee Adventure said:

Hello! Signing in for my annual group hug

Happy Christmas Oz!! :)

Hows things?  And why aren’t you heading to Hobart?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Feilberg said:

Correct.

Couta as I’ve had the pleasure of doing a Hobart with the box head I’d be happy to buy a few jugs to share with that lunatic so no need for a bet there.

As a side though we could have a small wager on how many times someone says “fuckernel boxhead” as he appears naked, with a lifejacket & tether shortly after the sea mark rounding, sweat running down those cheeks and a look of urgency to get to the aft rail. You can only imagine right now but trust me when I say that after you’ve seen and heard semi-digested cured mass produced pork and battery raised force fed foul products with “all the trimmings” exit a human accompanied by and riding on a river of stale beer, red wine and no doubt some amber spirit concoction at somewhere near the speed of sound something inside you is torn between wondering if he’s going to be ok or if he’ll need medication. After several days of this your respect for what is essentially an eating machine will only be reinforced, I won’t dwell too much on the smell as on your yacht it will be travelling at a reasonably slow apparent wind, downwind in a blanket of what could be described as a slow moving depression, (pro tip… get him to put the hatch in as he comes on deck) filling the internals of the yacht with what seems like a permanent stain, spray and wipe purple blend and white vinegar in water will be your only chance to get it out, act quickly don’t delay.

I can’t go on.

Ta Feilberg...and safe sailing! As for Box...well we've done over 4000miles together, so it's fair to say that you've understated the scenario....the semi-solution as you point out - is that he's banned from any down below ablutions....under any circumstances. The upside is obvious...the downside is that it leaves a permanent scar on the psychie of the deck watch as he hangs precariously over the transom...as you've described. "Eyes Forward" is the only warning ya get!! 

1 minute ago, Couta said:

Ta Feilberg...and safe sailing! As for Box...well we've done over 4000miles together, so it's fair to say that you've understated the scenario....the semi-solution is that he's banned from down below ablutions. The upside is obvious...the downside is that it leaves a permanent scar on the psychie of the deck watch as he hangs precariously over the transom...naked. "Eyes Forward" is the only warning ya get!! 

You should employ the deck towel as a "dignity curtain" 

It leaves a permanent scar

48 minutes ago, Feilberg said:

Correct.

I can’t go on.

You might be a cunt!

But that is fucking funny.  Who wrote it? :P

God I love this place   :lol:

On 12/24/2018 at 9:50 AM, Monkey said:

Of course, that all depends on that cunt outing himself. 

Shakes head... 

What the fork?  http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/media/3438758/rolex-syd-hobart-2018-jury-notice-no-2.pdf

Whilst we consider the paragraph removed from the previous interpretation in Jury
Notice No 1 is technically correct under the current rules, we have ascertained it may
have had unintended consequences for Competitors in this race and is therefore
withdrawn. The relevant rules are open to differing interpretation and currently under
consideration by World Sailing,

so - the initial ruling was (technically) correct, but we don't mind if you break the rules in this race ?

I guess the argument is the RRS overrides the ERS?

Not gonna sift through the first 16 pages.. For those of us in the US will the race be live broadcast on youtube? Turned into a bit of a family tradition to throw it up on the tv..

5 hours ago, mad said:

Happy Christmas Oz!! :)

Hows things?  And why aren’t you heading to Hobart?

Things are awesome, I'm delivering back to Sydney, very happy to be getting another 600nm under my belt - still haven't finished my nav exams tho! B)

9 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Ichi Ban maybe able to hang onto the sterns of some of the 60's and if she gets through she'll be in the game. 

That wish is engraved on the bulkhead of every 50' before it leaves the yard.

4 hours ago, overlay said:

No , too busy brushing "gel" through his recently dyed hair.

Just when you think the VOR finally created a new Witty and a team you would really like to get behind, he drags his old helmet out of the closet. Feel a bit sorry for Beck/InfoTrack, the bodies he has put on board are second to none for a bone breaker.

Witty making a dick of himself, again.

Clearly disrespectful in this interview.

6 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

How to watch the start in NZ?

4 hours ago, Ross said:

Not gonna sift through the first 16 pages.. For those of us in the US will the race be live broadcast on youtube? Turned into a bit of a family tradition to throw it up on the tv..

It will be on the CYCA's page

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/

37 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

How to watch the start in NZ?

Sloop like this time every year.. a comfortable chair while thinking about doing up your dick this summer with or without some cock.

4 hours ago, Ozee Adventure said:

Things are awesome, I'm delivering back to Sydney, very happy to be getting another 600nm under my belt - still haven't finished my nav exams tho! B)

After all this time?:rolleyes:

Out of Hobart, then left until heading north and it’s that big bit on the left. Easy :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Just when you think the VOR finally created a new Witty and a team you would really like to get behind, he drags his old helmet out of the closet. Feel a bit sorry for Beck/InfoTrack, the bodies he has put on board are second to none for a bone breaker.

Is Witty drunk?

1 minute ago, mad said:

Is Witty drunk?

I thought he'd had one, general demeanor.

7 minutes ago, overlay said:

He's good at that.

Here's his thoughts on Comanches win last outing.

"

Asked why last year’s champion Comanche shouldn’t be given the same consideration, Witt is quick to dismiss their win last year as a technicality.

“I’m sick of hearing about Comanche. ................. You don’t win a boat race with a protest. "

Clearly you do if the other guy breaks the rules.

Witty makes a dick of himself every time he speaks.  Imagine how cringe-worthy those statements would be if you were a sponsor, in the traditional sense.

Edit: So what would Witty have done if he had been in  Comanche's position?

24 minutes ago, random said:

Edit: So what would Witty have done if he had been in  Comanche's position?

My guess no luff up and the Big Fella and Rico would have spent most of this year removing a carbon Shish Kebab out of their arses. 

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

It was a AM presser so I hope not.

Steaming from the night before then. 

Just now, jack_sparrow said:
36 minutes ago, mad said:

Is Witty drunk?

It was a AM presser so I hope not.

Hung over then.

Otherwise he was just behaving like a drunk.

7 minutes ago, mad said:

Steaming from the night before then. 

Hate to say it.. but drunk on VOR sitting at a table of pond sailors in his mind. 

Does anybody really know wether Prospector will sail with a crew of 19 as per cyc website?

Witty was being a rude smart arse, giving the person interviewing them a hard time.

No need to be polite when you get all the money from a rich Chinese man, bragging about it.

11 hours ago, Feilberg said:

Correct.

I can’t go on.

Box, starkers in tether.... Special times ;) and the kinda stuff legends are made of.  You'll never forget it.

Someone bring him a copy of New Weekly...

Have a great race boys!

• Like 1

How many Bowman in this race get a spread in the New York Times on the eve of the start?

In my mind Sophie is wasted on WOX and should be the first person any serious competitor in this race would call up. Her last S2H gig pre VOR was in 2016 on Ichi and a late call up by Matt I recall, otherwise she would have been watching it on TV.

Sophie is a great example of the glass ceiling in offshore sailing being alive and well and only quotas will arrest that shit for the time being.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2018%2F12%2F25%2Fsports%2Fsailing%2Fsophie-ciszek-and-her-exhausting-job-on-the-bow.html&psig=AOvVaw3EMgpyk-ZKMtOo58s1wLBk&ust=1545823297381587

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, random said:

No need to be polite when you get all the money from a rich Chinese man, bragging about it.

He is Malaysian, not Chinese and a pretty decent self effacing guy who has put a lot into offshore sailing. As usual you are way off the mark Randumb.

No need to be polite when you get all the money from a rich Malaysian man, bragging about it.

10 minutes ago, random said:

No need to be polite when you get all the money from a rich Malaysian man, bragging about it.

I bet you are always polite to McDonalds living in their dumpster out the back begging they don't cut off free WiFi access.

1 hour ago, random said:

You must be so happy to once again to have Wittys leg to try humping

My take on Wittys churlishness during the press conference was that a VMG running race was not going to be good for his boat full of broken and borrowed downwind sails and that he knew he had to be up there even though he isn't a line honors contender any more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

My take on Wittys churlishness during the press conference was that a VMG running race was not going to be good for his boat full of broken and borrowed downwind sails and that he knew he had to be up there even though he isn't a line honors contender any more ever. 

FIFY.