bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

11 hours ago, Feilberg said:

Correct.

Couta as I’ve had the pleasure of doing a Hobart with the box head I’d be happy to buy a few jugs to share with that lunatic so no need for a bet there.

As a side though we could have a small wager on how many times someone says “fuckernel boxhead” as he appears naked, with a lifejacket & tether shortly after the sea mark rounding, sweat running down those cheeks and a look of urgency to get to the aft rail. You can only imagine right now but trust me when I say that after you’ve seen and heard semi-digested cured mass produced pork and battery raised force fed foul products with “all the trimmings” exit a human accompanied by and riding on a river of stale beer, red wine and no doubt some amber spirit concoction at somewhere near the speed of sound something inside you is torn between wondering if he’s going to be ok or if he’ll need medication. After several days of this your respect for what is essentially an eating machine will only be reinforced, I won’t dwell too much on the smell as on your yacht it will be travelling at a reasonably slow apparent wind, downwind in a blanket of what could be described as a slow moving depression, (pro tip… get him to put the hatch in as he comes on deck) filling the internals of the yacht with what seems like a permanent stain, spray and wipe purple blend and white vinegar in water will be your only chance to get it out, act quickly don’t delay.

I can’t go on.

Best of luck and see you at the finish

Box, starkers in tether.... Special times ;) and the kinda stuff legends are made of.  You'll never forget it.

Someone bring him a copy of New Weekly...

Have a great race boys!

• Like 1

How many Bowman in this race get a spread in the New York Times on the eve of the start?

In my mind Sophie is wasted on WOX and should be the first person any serious competitor in this race would call up. Her last S2H gig pre VOR was in 2016 on Ichi and a late call up by Matt I recall, otherwise she would have been watching it on TV.

Sophie is a great example of the glass ceiling in offshore sailing being alive and well and only quotas will arrest that shit for the time being.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2018%2F12%2F25%2Fsports%2Fsailing%2Fsophie-ciszek-and-her-exhausting-job-on-the-bow.html&psig=AOvVaw3EMgpyk-ZKMtOo58s1wLBk&ust=1545823297381587

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, random said:

No need to be polite when you get all the money from a rich Chinese man, bragging about it.

He is Malaysian, not Chinese and a pretty decent self effacing guy who has put a lot into offshore sailing. As usual you are way off the mark Randumb.

10 minutes ago, random said:

No need to be polite when you get all the money from a rich Malaysian man, bragging about it.

I bet you are always polite to McDonalds living in their dumpster out the back begging they don't cut off free WiFi access.

My take on Wittys churlishness during the press conference was that a VMG running race was not going to be good for his boat full of broken and borrowed downwind sails and that he knew he had to be up there even though he isn't a line honors contender any more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

My take on Wittys churlishness during the press conference was that a VMG running race was not going to be good for his boat full of broken and borrowed downwind sails and that he knew he had to be up there even though he isn't a line honors contender any more ever. 

FIFY. 

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

My take on Wittys churlishness during the press conference was that a VMG running race was not going to be good for his boat full of broken and borrowed downwind sails and that he knew he had to be up there even though he isn't a line honors contender any more. 

Well sooner or later I guess the ‘boss’ might start to ask questions about where and what his money is actually achieving?.........apart from jobs for the boys. 

Funny how there's a lot of comments on this website missing the days of helms who had a bit of personality and attitude, then we get one and suddenly he's boorish. I think he was up there just doing a bit of trolling, good on him. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Funny how there's a lot of comments on this website missing the days of helms who had a bit of personality and attitude, then we get one and suddenly he's boorish. I think he was up there just doing a bit of trolling, good on him. 

It only works if it’s backed up. 

Happy Christmas to all us Seppos. Happy Boxing day to you lot down under.

Put your best guess in:

2 days, 4 hours 45 mins for LH.

Good racing all.

8 hours ago, HILLY said:

Does anybody really know wether Prospector will sail with a crew of 19 as per cyc website?

Pretty sure they did for the PV race and Pac Cup earlier this year.  My question is why isn't Artie the designated Nav?

I'm not a Witless fan, but his comment, "we've always had electronic winches, we've just put a few more on 'coz some of the boys are getting a bit old"  That's gold!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, overlay said:

He's good at that.

Here's his thoughts on Comanches win last outing.

"

Asked why last year’s champion Comanche shouldn’t be given the same consideration, Witt is quick to dismiss their win last year as a technicality.

“I’m sick of hearing about Comanche. ................. You don’t win a boat race with a protest. "

Nope, but you certainly lose boat races that way

• Like 1

Final kite selection....with a bonus spinnaker allowed...do we go with the #2 or #4?? Latest forecast suggests the #2 is the extra bag......

The race should just ban stored power and move on.  No powered winches and no canting keels, they should go back to real sailing, you know, using sailors and the wind.

These  things are diesel powered stink-boats.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, random said:

The race should just ban stored power and move on.  No powered winches and no canting keels, they should go back to real sailing, you know, using sailors and the wind.

and let multihulls in while you're at it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, random said:

Ban carbon fiber too, only glass hulls, metal spars and Dacron sails. No GPS either. 

• Like 1

Today also the biggest in the Australian Cricket calender. This year India. This guy bowler from 1970's and one of the reasons you listened to ABC Radio. This interlude from a 2006 Test told over 3 balls and a man you loves his own jokes.

8 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

Ban carbon fiber too, only glass hulls, metal spars and Dacron sails. No GPS either. 

There is another thread on SA, 38 pages long all about this idea.

An old anarchist boat methinks?......Arcadia looks good front and centre in the live crosses to the harbour. 

I’m just curious how Randumb is going to be able to sail his little RC boat without stored power. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Happy Christmas to all us Seppos. Happy Boxing day to you lot down under.

Put your best guess in:

2 days, 4 hours 45 mins for LH.

Good racing all.

I'm betting 1 day 23 hours

• Like 2

AoASG has 30 interviews with boats she's cycling through, only 4 are the big boats.

Worth a look

Good on 'er.

2 hours ago, random said:

Wooden boats only. No alloy spars, nothing over 50ft. Bring it on...

2 hours ago, random said:

Can’t believe I agree with random, but yes, the above is accurate.

14 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Wooden boats only. No alloy spars, nothing over 50ft. Bring it on...

Works for me,

6 minutes ago, overlay said:

Fair go, we need to include some autonomous drone technology so no one has to ride these fukers south. Yer we know the poor little grinders get very tired arms , so we have addressed that,  but the afterguard get wet and cold so best to let them stay home .

Don’t forget, just to keep Randumb happy, there should probably be a requirement that all participants drink their own urine. It just seems like his thing. 

5 minutes ago, overlay said:

A 21-metre yacht that was intended to race in the Sydney to Hobart is "under arrest" and welded to the dock at Rushcutters Bay marina.

BWAHAHAHA.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-to-hobart-yacht-monster-project-arrested-on-eve-of-race-20181225-p50o6c.html

Every setback provides an opportunity. One of the Non-Polish crew has just been picked up to sail on the J/133 Patriot after one of their crew members crashed his motor bike last week and broke both wrists. Desperately sad for him but Marty V brings considerable offshore strengths and is a great add to the Patriot team.. 

1 hour ago, Third Reef said:

There is another thread on SA, 38 pages long all about this idea.

Don't get me wrong here, I love watching these machines, but it's not sailing as we know it.  They should fuck off and get another event.

If you have to run a diesel engine to sail, that's not sailing.

Edit: So haw many years is it now that the first boat to Hobart has been a Motorboat?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, random said:

Don't get me wrong here, I love watching these machines, but it's not sailing as we know it.  They should fuck off and get another event.

If you have to run a diesel engine to sail, that's not sailing.

Edit: So haw many years is it now that the first boat to Hobart has been a Motorboat?

They all have to run their diesel engines in ocean racing. How is that any different? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

99 or 2000 was the last time some non canting plodded won line honors.

Wasn’t Alfa/Shockwave in 2002 a non-canter? 

On 12/19/2018 at 7:16 PM, terrafirma said:

Didn't know Ed and Midnight Rambler had gone to a Sydney 36? Interesting choice of boat after the Ker 40 footer I would thave thought? 

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2018/pre-race/entrant-spotlight-ed-psaltis/

I hope this wasn't the reason to change, animation of a boat called Midnight Rambler in 70 foot waves...! 

Hike Bitches!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mad said:

Well sooner or later I guess the ‘boss’ might start to ask questions about where and what his money is actually achieving?.........apart from jobs for the boys. 

Well I think that given the cost to attend any event in a Supermaxi the Scallywag program is probably still the 4th or 5th lowest budget program on the line this year and closet in line with Infotrack. He can’t say witty is overspending

10 minutes ago, overlay said:

Witty is at it again with this gem.

"Dave Witt, the skipper of Hong Kong entrant Scallywag, one of five super maxis in the race, concurred, saying the forecast was “not challenging at all, but technically challenging

Not sure what your getting at but he is simply saying forecast won't be boat busting but will be about keeping the boat going.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not sure what your getting at but he is simply saying forecast won't be boat busting but will be about keeping the boat going.

I love to the RP guys wearing matching white crew shirts. The other boys in my normal boating attire. LOL 

If you believe Richo this race is his, new sails and VMG running. I think Comanche might get the early lead but interesting to see how long she can hang onto it

1 minute ago, Swimsailor said:

Yeah, so the link from FB to watch live leads to a video game website.  Fun stuff.

Stateside's a crap shoot again for the live feed.  Whatever.   Is Nic commenting from a boat at start?

1 minute ago, blunderfull said:

Is Nic commenting from a boat at start?

No she is on the lawn and a Etchell lass whose name escapes me is on the water. I get the impression Nic is partnering with CYC to secure access but is then tied to not competing with Channel 7. That or something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

No she is on the lawn and a Etchell lass whose name escapes me is on the water. I get the impression Nic is partnering with CYC to secure access but is then tied to not competing with Channel 7. That or something.

I thought they where supposed to be live already?

Where to watch the livestream? Will it be on their website/facebook page and accessible from abroad? thx!

Someone start Kickstarter for Nic to bring her to Transpac and do her thing.   In one afternoon we get interviews, tech talk and all stuff boats which in total is more than you'll get stateside for all racing total.   Star Sailors League the only broadcast effort that's in same league.

Note to Ed. ....Nic for Transpac with a local hookup for lodging and production support?   Just do it.....

• Like 3

The  (admittedly piss poor) local coverage started at 12.30 local time.  It's now 5 minutes past.  where's the f'ing 'live stream'??? 

Looks like Multihulls are in. 

Commanche is a catamaran with a really low bridgedeck. :D

Wonder if Australia ran out of hair gel, Ricko is wearing a hat.

• Like 2

Crazy how tiny Privateer looks on the start line with the 100 footers.

Go to the race website

Nice to see Privateer get clean air on the start holding the bigger boats above them

And the catamaran is glued to the water like a paper plate. 

Wow, go BJ.

Big indian not pointing so good? ducking 40 footers?

What's going to happen when " channel 7", sorry I mean Wild Oats retires from racing next year or so?

who is going to telecast it then?

3 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

How many fucking ads does 7 want to stuff into the broadcast!?

Based on the stream audio and long blocks without commentary, the stream might be showing fewer ads. I'm in the USA, so just speculating.

• Like 2

Classic Richo. “We're going to have to put some etiquette rules in the Palm Beach fucking owner’s book.”

Hmmm, where do I line up to buy a million dollar boat from THAT guy?

• Like 3

Here comes the Big Indian the king of reaching. Let's see how long she can hang onto the lead. Tactics out of the harbor weren't too crash hot. This is where we see the big boats exploit their strengths and weaknesses but the transitions await them.

Just now, overlay said:

Silly me, I thought Rich was going to get through F-BOMB free.

Is it even Boxing Day if Richo doesn't swear on live TV?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Classic Richo. “We're going to have to put some etiquette rules in the Palm Beach fucking owner’s book.”

Hmmm, where do I line up to buy a million dollar boat from THAT guy?

While you on the other hand would be clambering as hard as you could to get on the Palm Beach and suck the owners cock and say thank you for not keeping clear no doubt.

More ads than live coverage at the moment.

next year I will list them all and embargo the companies for the year.

• Like 2

Nice to see all 5 boats in the race..

Ffs shit ads, shit comentary, shit coverage