bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

Is she the one with the wierd keel?

On 27 February 2018 at 12:51 PM, Jason AUS said:

Well, knowing that the smoking downhill, record breaking run of the last two years back to back is a Hobart race anomaly... I'd be picking up something like the Botin 65' Caro.

It won't go downhill or across the hill like a pure raceboat would, but with any sort of upwind or mixed conditions she'd be more than ok. In a 48 hour race, you'd need to be 2-3 hours quicker than (say) Balance or Ichi Ban in their 2017 configuration but dinner would have been "served with your choice of either Shiraz or Chambourcin, and a very cheeky little Gewurztraminer with the apple crumble and vanilla bean ice cream.

What's that Matt? You ate freeze dried teriyaki chicken from a plastic bowl while crouched on the cabin floor? How... quaint. It sounds positively bracing."

And, if I had to pick a race boat I've always thought that the Humphreys 54 Oystercatcher/Bengal 7 was a sweet looking, but under-performing boat.

Could she be good enough to pick up a 3rd place PHS trophy in the Keppel race? With a dozen drunks and a couple of REALLY big kites it could be fun finding out.

We probably won't see another Comanche built for many many moons. 

If you don't believe that look at the 10+ year old recycled 100's still going around, very competitive, with no end in sight and remember Comanche is now a 5 year old design, so no spring chicken.

Maybe the next phase is 100' owners go recycled crazy and maybe even for some have two 100' in the quiver..and drag out the one one that matches the actual weather for the S2H??

If so we may see the original VPLP design for Comanche of getting foiled up and Jenny Craiged finally happen? See pics below. It was too risky at the time to do it having regard for their multiple race and distance record program asperations at the time of original build of going lighter with foil RM.

So maybe now turn it into a one tack off the wind  screaming machine that doesn't necessarily go out the Heads every year. Doesn't matter if it can't,  it can do a hairdresser Transpac alternate years or whatever and give the Disney etc west coast long skinny boats the shits.

If so who ever owns it will need deep pockets to do that, if only to put in a nostalgia wheelchair station for Kenny for SOLAS plus give Casey a Hobart pillow, though in ideal conditions he won't be using it with that set up.

Lot to look forward too...hope we don't have another GFC soon. Not sure the current owner has the bucks for that to do it properly, so a changing of the ownership guard maybe necessary?

New3_5.jpg

billionaire-netscape-founder-launches-super-fast-yacht-5309-8856892.jpg

43 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

that is ugly. prolly a bit more comfy at the nav station though .

certainly wouldn't have picked it as a 2007 build looking like that yeesh

Ran out of design time for the cabin.

Then ran down to the chandlery & bought four of "whatever windows you have in stock" 

or weren't willing to pay for a complete design.  "Just do the important bits mate, me and the builders can sort the rest..."

Here's another challenge....

So you just won over a billion dollars in US powerball and you've decided that you want to win line honours in the S2H in a new designed boat.

1) Who would you get to design the boat?

2) In the brief to the designer, what would you ask for?

1) Reichel/Pugh

2) I would be looking for a more of an all round design rather than something like Comanche. Given WO IX's impressive performance beating Comanche to Hobart last year, I would be asking Reichel/Pugh to take what they have learnt from the WOIX design and mods and effectively build it again from scratch...

1st Wild Oats IX. Yes the boat is still that good. It will take 10 years for this boat to be totally surpassed by the fleet and I mean the fleet, not one or two newish boats, remember Comanche is starting to push her five year old mark. Maybe they need a few lessons from Mikhail Baryshnikov on how not to turn late.

2nd Comanche. Jim Cooney gots-to realise that these thing's chew dollars just like a top horse eats hay, my point?, crew salary. To get this thing going you need well paid pro's, not many, but enough. Think Stan Honey and Jimmy Spithill wages showing up on your rear do$hcam. Yes you can bulk the boat with good men, and they'll get the job done but  then the talk of taking an extra family member, workmate, Donna Hay creeps in. Boat needs good men to win, good men need $$. Things that go bang in the night.

3rd. Blackjack. Gonna need to take some shit for a couple of years or, or, or catch a bewdy year and jag it light basically all the way. What do they have going for them?  Mark Bradford, i.e., Mr North Sails above the border. Certainly if you expand this boats sail wardrobe to WOXI magnitude with the management skills to transition them, then you've got the guns. good weather routing and mint VMG running sails. Still Deadly, but aging, then again people still go to Angelina Jolie movies.

4th Scallywag. When you want to go down the middle, and it just does not have the legs in any particular area. Great boat, awesome true southern hemisphere effort, maybe quicker tank transfer may help it off the line quicker. Hopefully this trip around the world will give DWitt the edge to maybe pull off something truly mad. This boat is not slack, youtube will attest to that, its not a donkey. Needs that X_FACTOR. Don't know who that fucker is.

5th. CQS. Only because it's 100ft. Lucky sponsor is family.

DNS. Infotrack. Owner isn't so dumb after all. For Sale!!, will trade for a muesli bar.

7th RIO 100. Buy This!!!!!!!, don't let BBW within a coooooeeee of it. Throw some water back into her, strengthen the mast to take it, then and spend your  summers beating the shit out of Wally Cento's and their slack dicked owners. Name it after your Daughter, who may or may not given the bowman the ride of his life.

8th Beau Geste. No Form. Crewmembers are currently in litigation with the owner, for having their names associated with this Barker. I mean what is it? not a VO70, but gets carted by it! Rambler is packed up and on the ship home. Fuck it, ring Brian Hancock, get Fazisi back on and give this this howler some competition.

9th Condor. The second Condor, Ron Holland. Any arguments will be settled in the carpark with a bottle of Rum a deck of Winfield Blue's and a packet of my favourite chips, ""you just don't know how she go Bro"".The boat will always be in the top ten placing's, present or not, by Tasmanian by-law KB_80. Fastnet and Newport Bermuda wins as well. Did what these boats didn't around  the world, for a long time.In her day the ultimate maxi.

10th. Itchy Ban. One of them. How do you know which each one is, when everyone is number one??. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hoppy said:

So you just won over a billion dollars in US powerball and you've decided that you want to win line honours in the S2H in a new designed boat.

1) Open source committee design on Sailing Anarchy

2) Big fridge, foiling, jacuzzi

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thefirstpelican said:

1st Wild Oats IX. Yes the boat is still that good. It will take 10 years for this boat to be totally surpassed by the fleet and I mean the fleet, not one or two newish boats, remember Comanche is starting to push her five year old mark. Maybe they need a few lessons from Mikhail Baryshnikov on how not to turn late.

2nd Comanche. Jim Cooney gots-to realise that these thing's chew dollars just like a top horse eats hay, my point?, crew salary. To get this thing going you need well paid pro's, not many, but enough. Think Stan Honey and Jimmy Spithill wages showing up on your rear do$hcam. Yes you can bulk the boat with good men, and they'll get the job done but  then the talk of taking an extra family member, workmate, Donna Hay creeps in. Boat needs good men to win, good men need $$. Things that go bang in the night.

3rd. Blackjack. Gonna need to take some shit for a couple of years or, or, or catch a bewdy year and jag it light basically all the way. What do they have going for them?  Mark Bradford, i.e., Mr North Sails above the border. Certainly if you expand this boats sail wardrobe to WOXI magnitude with the management skills to transition them, then you've got the guns. good weather routing and mint VMG running sails. Still Deadly, but aging, then again people still go to Angelina Jolie movies.

4th Scallywag. When you want to go down the middle, and it just does not have the legs in any particular area. Great boat, awesome true southern hemisphere effort, maybe quicker tank transfer may help it off the line quicker. Hopefully this trip around the world will give DWitt the edge to maybe pull off something truly mad. This boat is not slack, youtube will attest to that, its not a donkey. Needs that X_FACTOR. Don't know who that fucker is.

DNS. Infotrack. Owner isn't so dumb after all. For Sale!!, will trade for a muesli bar.

7th RIO 100. Buy This!!!!!!!, don't let BBW within a coooooeeee of it. Throw some water back into her, strengthen the mast to take it, then and spend your  summers beating the shit out of Wally Cento's and their slack dicked owners. Name it after your Daughter, who may or may not given the bowman the ride of his life.

8th Beau Geste. No Form. Crewmembers are currently in litigation with the owner, for having their names associated with this Barker. I mean what is it? not a VO70, but gets carted by it! Rambler is packed up and on the ship home. Fuck it, ring Brian Hancock, get Fazisi back on and give this this howler some competition.

9th Condor. The second Condor, Ron Holland. Any arguments will be settled in the carpark with a bottle of Rum a deck of Winfield Blue's and a packet of my favourite chips, ""you just don't know how she go Bro"".The boat will always be in the top ten placing's, present or not, by Tasmanian by-law KB_80. Fastnet and Newport Bermuda wins as well. Did what these boats didn't around  the world, for a long time.In her day the ultimate maxi.

10th. Itchy Ban. One of them. How do you know which each one is, when everyone is number one??. 

rambler could easily smash CQS by 20 miles , and should beat scally , just need a decent lead into the derwent. rambler is a bit lighter and a bit faster than last go round, thats for sure.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:09 PM, hoppy said:

1) Reichel/Pugh

2) I would be looking for a more of an all round design rather than something like Comanche. Given WO IX's impressive performance beating Comanche to Hobart last year, I would be asking Reichel/Pugh to take what they have learnt from the WOIX design and mods and effectively build it again from scratch...

So you have  $US1Billion to play with, you  can afford to look outside the "usual suspects" box. I would go to Rob Shaw in NZ with an open cheque book and an open mind.

Brief: Design the fastest offshore 100 fter that complies with the requirements of the rules and will get to Hobart in one piece in any weather. The rest I would leave to him.

Go to the best builder, the best rigger and the best sailmaker and fit the beast out with nothing but premium bling

Buy the best big-boat offshore team to drive the fucker because you wont win jack-shit without the right personnel. Pay them whatever it costs and put up a substantial bonus that they don't get if they don't win; greed is a well proven motivator. Promise them a plane load of hookers and blow if they do win.

Be prepared to take it up the arse when mother nature fucks with you like she has done to countless others who thought that this was as simple as money.

On 3/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, ASP said:

https://www.seahorsemagazine.com/brokerage/all-brokerage-boats/used-boats-monohulls-31-to-55/ad/ker-51-tonnerre-4,603 

Anyone know how this boat has fared vs the 52's? Seems like a good option for.....someone. 

Was the old Varuna the new one is a Ker56 that sails very well. Not sure this boat ever did much racing against the 52's to be gauged being a European based boat most of its life

On 08/03/2018 at 10:20 AM, Last Post said:

So you have  $US1Billion to play with, you  can afford to look outside the "usual suspects" box. I would go to Rob Shaw in NZ with an open cheque book and an open mind.

Brief: Design the fastest offshore 100 fter that complies with the requirements of the rules and will get to Hobart in one piece in any weather. The rest I would leave to him.

Go to the best builder, the best rigger and the best sailmaker and fit the beast out with nothing but premium bling

Buy the best big-boat offshore team to drive the fucker because you wont win jack-shit without the right personnel. Pay them whatever it costs and put up a substantial bonus that they don't get if they don't win; greed is a well proven motivator. Promise them a plane load of hookers and blow if they do win.

Be prepared to take it up the arse when mother nature fucks with you like she has done to countless others who thought that this was as simple as money.

Why not just buy the fastest boat to have ever sailed the course? WOXI.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2018 at 10:37 PM, thefirstpelican said:

That's funny. Like norths havent sold BJ every sail they can think off. 

On 3/10/2018 at 11:42 AM, LB 15 said:

Oats vs Comanche

The biggest problem Jim will face is this year he had an all star crew not sure he will have that going forward and it depends on his budget. The problem the Oatley family is they love Richo and he needs to dump the ego and re-invent himself and perhaps do some more sailing. Witt will come back a better sailor and Scallywag needs some further optimization. 

I wouldn't be giving up Richo for a skipper that doesn't know the boat. Name a more successful 100' skipper. I'm sure he's learnt his lesson. 

JC hasn't put any boats on the market = budget probably looking good! 

Scallywag 100 has been in the shed in "the orient" getting the shortcuts from Sid's ownership removed......  will be a boat more like the design from Andy Dovell's desk rather than the cut and shut approach and 'canny value' exhibited from Sid !!...   Wild Oats XI    is sold ! 

• Like 1

On 10 March 2018 at 11:38 AM, LB 15 said:

Why not just buy the fastest boat to have ever sailed the course? WOXI.

Isn't that the ORMA 60 Team Australia?

Why don't they let multihulls enter the RSHYR?

Hat? Check. Coat? Check.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Hat? Check. Coat? Check.

There's not enough to get a fleet but would be great to see a MOD70 or GClass run the course on race day. Be a good PR stunt even if it was a one off. 

19 hours ago, terrafirma said:

The biggest problem Jim will face is this year he had an all star crew not sure he will have that going forward and it depends on his budget. The problem the Oatley family is they love Richo and he needs to dump the ego and re-invent himself and perhaps do some more sailing. Witt will come back a better sailor and Scallywag needs some further optimization. 

Pro crew = tick

18 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I wouldn't be giving up Richo for a skipper that doesn't know the boat. Name a more successful 100' skipper. I'm sure he's learnt his lesson. 

JC hasn't put any boats on the market = budget probably looking good! 

Correct 

12 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Hat? Check. Coat? Check.

hahaha.........   now part of the Scally group.... (confirmed but i might have been drunk at the time)

13 hours ago, SCANAS said:

There's not enough to get a fleet but would be great to see a MOD70 or GClass run the course on race day. Be a good PR stunt even if it was a one off. 

But Jimmy Spithill has said "It's just a matter of time before they allow multihulls in the Sydney to Hobart race, I mean in my mind, who doesn't want to go faster."

Surely there'd be enough interested parties if they opened up a new division for multihulls?

5 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

But Jimmy Spithill has said "It's just a matter of time before they allow multihulls in the Sydney to Hobart race, I mean in my mind, who doesn't want to go faster."

Surely there'd be enough interested parties if they opened up a new division for multihulls?

Maybe OS teams. Not much locally. 

ORCV club from Melb is open to the idea of Multis competing in Melb-Hobart they just need the numbers

3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Maybe OS teams. Not much locally. 

I guess there isn't much interest in anything until the first one.

17 minutes ago, Swanno said:

I guess there isn't much interest in anything until the first one.

Many races have opened their doors to MH & had no little or no entries. If the locals don't want to do those races they aren't going to step up to CAT1. If there was a solid local fleet wanting to do the race they would have started their own by now. Can't see CYCA doing it & if you own a MOD70 & want to beat up on the fleet good luck getting all the permits etc for a race start on Boxing Day. 

5 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Many races have opened their doors to MH & had no little or no entries. If the locals don't want to do those races they aren't going to step up to CAT1. If there was a solid local fleet wanting to do the race they would have started their own by now. Can't see CYCA doing it & if you own a MOD70 & want to beat up on the fleet good luck getting all the permits etc for a race start on Boxing Day. 

CYCA just aren't open to the idea at all.

I understand they wouldn't let Langman do the Sydney Noumea in Team Aus - so he's doing Brisbane-Noumea instead.

34 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I appreciate that though I cannot see how a rich man's ego wouldn't jump at the chance for a Rolex.

Correct the CYCA have no interest in letting multis do the race,  and if they did not many would turn up and put up with all the dogmatic safety routine that all competitors are subject to. (and I do not think that it is a safety issue, they do after-all let TP52"s  do the race which would have to be one of the most un-seaworthy craft ever to take to the open ocean.) If there was enough interest I am sure another club would step up such as is the case for Brisbane to Gladstone. 

Even the Brisbane to Noumea race looks like no takers in either mono or multi but the club running it requires VHF radio, HF radio, Satphone wired in, AIS, and a tracker.

There are four 60 -70' tris around aus nz now though so you never know.

6 hours ago, bushsailor said:

There are four 60 -70' tris around aus nz now though so you never know

Bush if you are a part of that multi crowd can you organise some sort of hatch warning label standard that accommodates the visually impaired. 

I'm fuckin sick of ending up on a tennis court, opening and stepping out the hatch for a midnight piss after a beverage or two and then the whole fuckin circus starts sinking.

Not safe. Thanks mate.

images (93).jpeg

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bush if you are a part of that multi crowd can you organise some sort of hatch warning label standard that accommodates the visually impaired. 

I'm fuckin sick of ending up on a tennis court, opening and stepping out the hatch for a midnight piss after a beverage or two and then the whole fuckin circus starts sinking.

Not safe. Thanks mate.

images (93).jpeg

Bush just recently had to use one of those on his own boat.....

Who's the 4th?

Kwok

Frank Racing

Scally / Team Oz

&?

Be good if those 4 started outside the heads (or a day later) and buzzed the tower. For Kwok & Scally might make future entries in the race a problem. Can only think that's why Langmen never did the same. 

4 is an old boat that did the transpac this year. Maybe ex waterworld.

We did use the hatch, used it to get back in the boat to get wallets and phones.

• Like 2

Australian multis in the S2H - dud argument.

“Last year we did our best to the get the mixed multihull and monohull race off the ground with only three entries. Only one boat finished and that was Team Australia. With the same level of entries this year, pushing ahead to run the race with those numbers just isn’t practical."

https://www.smyr.mhyc.com.au/component/content/article/35-news/101-sydney-to-mooloolaba-yacht-race-2015-race-cancelled.html

my money is on which ever boat Mr Honey navigates .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid said:

my money is on which ever boat Mr Honey navigates .

Stan did everything right but the Derwent is a killer at the wrong time. If I were Jim I would be asking for Stan every year given this will be their flagship race. Well done to Oats too with their mods the boat is a rocketship in those VMG running conditions

• Like 2

15 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Stan did everything right but the Derwent is a killer at the wrong time. If I were Jim I would be asking for Stan every year given this will be their flagship race. Well done to Oats too with their mods the boat is a rocketship in those VMG running conditions

i think they lost it before the turn , they let them in way too close , and they knew they needed a bigger lead going in to the derwent, C is way too sticky to extend if the derwent acts like its usual self.

1 hour ago, bigrpowr said:

i think they lost it before the turn , they let them in way too close , and they knew they needed a bigger lead going in to the derwent, C is way too sticky to extend if the derwent acts like its usual self.

I'm not sure whether they could have done anything different? Richo said both boats had their moments of extending or gaining so I'm assuming it was wind angle and wave pattern on each gybe that dictated if C extended or O gained? Prior to the Oats mods it would have been safe to assume that Oats would have gotten no where near them without the mods and if BJ was anything to go by?

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I'm not sure whether they could have done anything different? Richo said both boats had their moments of extending or gaining so I'm assuming it was wind angle and wave pattern on each gybe that dictated if C extended or O gained? Prior to the Oats mods it would have been safe to assume that Oats would have gotten no where near them without the mods and if BJ was anything to go by?

oh no, i absolutely agree with what you said, i was just saying thats where , in my opinion, they lost the race. oats was VERY impressive the last 50 or so miles . ate them up, and proved the mods then and there.

4 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

Yep. BigR looking at the extra miles they had to sail they were lucky to make it to the corner first. Dream conditions for WOXI.

However if the breeze had just a tad more east in it, they would have been legless and on their 3rd pie by the time WOXI tied up.

Pics courtesy duncan

WOXI.png.fb83c0c6e10fdb28e0c63a9fdb3df6e8.png

comanche.png.b5c44f5980476aaed36ffb4f019a3c92.png

Pretty unlikely to see better conditions for the aircraft carrier than what they got last year. 

8 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Pretty unlikely to see better conditions for the aircraft carrier than what they got last year. 

True - they'd go better with it heading them more rather than dead square, but when would you get that?

Possibly a big NW'ster is about the only condition they could hope for that would be better in a Hobart, but they don't tend to last long before swinging W/SW. West would hammer them in Bass Strait and anything E is weak.

57 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

45 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

True - they'd go better with it heading them more rather than dead square, but when would you get that?....and anything E is weak.

South of Gabo yes...but up to there, more east and more puff common and would have made a big difference in deltas at the corner.

Can anyone help me with a quick rating question? If you built the same version of the S&S34 Azzuro today would you get the age allowance, if that it's called now. Azzuro, formally Shenandoah 2, and I believe it was called something else before that, and painted green. The hull was built in Perth of heavy duty chopped strand mat, but with a composite sandwich deck (with a full racing deck), a mk2 rig and rudder was added to bend the old IOR band. This boat holds more silverware than a dud Cash Converters.

Yes the boat is still being built today. I believe vacuum construction, scrimp, old deck, mk2 rig. 

If you built a new  racing decked one, with carbon in the lay up, black mast, pretty rag, things called "Pontos"", where would you sit IRC wise?

Scenario- If the TP52's get smashed by an in-abated southerly gale. Blowing from the south at the start and intensifying to 30 knots, some gusts to 40 through the first evening and into the next afternoon. Sea-state, your mother in laws arse, i.e. everywhere and huge. A true 10 year nasty.

Would the IRC punish or please such a venture?

https://ircrating.org/20-technical/technical/500-age-allowance

Age Allowance in IRC is automatically included as part of the IRC rating calculation. It is based on the mean of Series Date and Age Date and starts when that mean figure is 3 years old.

Example 1:
Series Date 1995
Age Date 2003
'IRC Age' for age allowance = 1999.  In 2017* age allowance started for boats with 'IRC Age' of 2014 or older, so for this example it would get 15 years allowance (2014-1999).

Example 2:
Series Date 2007
Age Date 2007
'IRC Age' for age allowance = 2007.

The amount of age allowance is small, not even 0.001 per year, and is just one aspect of all the many changes that take place in the formula each year. Hence ratings do not automatically reduce each year because the boat is older, but the age is taken into account in the TCC calculation.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, thefirstpelican said:

Can anyone help me with a quick rating question? If you built the same version of the S&S34 Azzuro today would you get the age allowance, if that it's called now. Azzuro, formally Shenandoah 2, and I believe it was called something else before that, and painted green. The hull was built in Perth of heavy duty chopped strand mat, but with a composite sandwich deck (with a full racing deck), a mk2 rig and rudder was added to bend the old IOR band. This boat holds more silverware than a dud Cash Converters.

Yes the boat is still being built today. I believe vacuum construction, scrimp, old deck, mk2 rig. 

If you built a new  racing decked one, with carbon in the lay up, black mast, pretty rag, things called "Pontos"", where would you sit IRC wise?

Scenario- If the TP52's get smashed by an in-abated southerly gale. Blowing from the south at the start and intensifying to 30 knots, some gusts to 40 through the first evening and into the next afternoon. Sea-state, your mother in laws arse, i.e. everywhere and huge. A true 10 year nasty.

Would the IRC punish or please such a venture?

thefirstpelican,

Their is a few answers to your questions about age allowance and build.

Age allowance is based on the year the  design was first drawn as well as other factors 

- year of first build

- The year the design was up dated e.g mk2,mk3 mk4 and keel, rudder, rig, sail area 

- what and how is the boat is  built and what is it built out of ? e.g wood, solid glass, cored hull, carbon etc 

- displacement 

So yes you could build a new S&S 34 out of full carbon with a carbon rig and sails. It will not rate that good and the old solid glass S&S34 will more than likely still beat it on IRC in a blow and in the light air up wind it would weapon.

Im told that a Inglis 47 designed back in the 1980’s and built in triple planked timber was to be updated with a new keel / rudder package and mast and sails would give a TP52 a run for your money. So you can have your cake and eat it too, you just need to get that 1 year in 10 weather that suits your boat and still hope for a lot of luck as well. 

Pulpit

On 02/03/2018 at 9:13 AM, Hold Fast said:

i think for the dollars, i'd probably opt for something more like Cadibarra 8 if i was going to play the 2nd hand fast 40ish div 2 S2H game. 

I wouldn't call her the prettiest of boats (does grow on you imo), but from what little i know about her she goes hard and had a good maintenance program. 

How's you bank balance? You can have Cadibarra 8 for $199,990 

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/don-jones-42/

Looks a lot better at this angle 

R420M2HD16-396-900x600.jpg

16 hours ago, hoppy said:

How's you bank balance? You can have Cadibarra 8 for $199,990 

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/don-jones-42/

Looks a lot better at this angle 

R420M2HD16-396-900x600.jpg

yeah I'm aware she's been on market for a little while now.

it was a  hypothetical "if i was going to play the 2nd hand fast 40ish div 2 S2H game" proposition, nothing more. 

not a game i'm interested in playing in any sense at the moment - neither funds nor time allow anytime more than a daydream with morning coffee.

9 hours ago, Hold Fast said:

yeah I'm aware she's been on market for a little while now.

it was a  hypothetical "if i was going to play the 2nd hand fast 40ish div 2 S2H game" proposition, nothing more. 

not a game i'm interested in playing in any sense at the moment - neither funds nor time allow anytime more than a daydream with morning coffee.

Had a little altercation with a solid hunk of Tasmania on her way back from Hobart in early 2017 and had time in the factory for some major corrective surgery since. Didn't exactly shine at the IRC Nats, probably better on long offshore legs where she can wind up. Won an Osaka 2H Race but not really much serious competition in that. Has to be right up there in the Bog Ugly stakes. 

13 hours ago, Last Post said:

Had a little altercation with a solid hunk of Tasmania on her way back from Hobart in early 2017 and had time in the factory for some major corrective surgery since. Didn't exactly shine at the IRC Nats, probably better on long offshore legs where she can wind up. Won an Osaka 2H Race but not really much serious competition in that. Has to be right up there in the Bog Ugly stakes. 

yeah i remember reading about that - sand banks off Flinders Island i think it was. 

It sounds like this beauty is keen to make the S2H start line this year.  She'll have more teak on deck than the rest of the fleet put together!

A80.jpg

9 hours ago, Grinning Ape said:

It sounds like this beauty is keen to make the S2H start line this year.  She'll have more teak on deck than the rest of the fleet put together!

A80.jpg

battle of the roast dinners and hot showers with Allegro

On 3/30/2018 at 10:51 AM, hoppy said:

Raggs52 is for sale. Is she a reasonable option or does she need a big upgrade to get up to speed?

http://www.yoti.com.au/listing/tp52-ragamuffin52

2.jpg

She's always been reasonably quick, and with smart naviguessing can still pull a pickle dish every now and then.

But... when the newer boats like Balance/Quest, Celestial, Envy Scooters and Ichi Ban are all running square top mains and Rags has a pin head, that's an obvious place to start looking for performance upgrades. So $25k for a main, plus $20k for a pair of new backstays and new strops and blocks on the transom?

And with the new Hooligan having just landed (loving the wicked green keel bulb), the competition for best regatta boat will see Ichi Ban and Hooligan beating six kinds of shit out of each other - so this would be a very decent distance offshore boat, rather than a serious contender for short course "leave your wallet on the dock" racing.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 10:51 AM, hoppy said:

Raggs52 is for sale. Is she a reasonable option or does she need a big upgrade to get up to speed?

http://www.yoti.com.au/listing/tp52-ragamuffin52

2.jpg

Does Rags come with all the trees / bushes on the port rail or are they extra

Saw Hooligan at the CY and it is serious inshore porn....

8 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Comes with them - it's the Category 1 performance upgrade for seasick sailors... "sit under a...."

• Like 3

That'd be Syd offsetting the campaign costs by chartering it out as a Christmas tree delivery service for the middle harbour brigade to avoid the traffic. 

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

But... when the newer boats like Balance/Quest, Celestial, Envy Scooters and Ichi Ban are all running square top mains and Rags has a pin head, that's an obvious place to start looking for performance upgrades. So $25k for a main, plus $20k for a pair of new backstays and new strops and blocks on the transom?

Besides the obvious extra sail area, what other advantages does the square top give?  Do they spill air when overpowered in gusts?

I assume that the handicaps take into consideration fat top mains so the extra area still costs... 

On 4/5/2018 at 11:07 AM, PIL007 said:

I wonder if it could be purchased on Syds infamous 50% down and see you in court for the balance finance model? 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2018 at 2:22 PM, hoppy said:

Besides the obvious extra sail area, what other advantages does the square top give? 

Extra area where it counts at the top where air is less disturbed and stronger plus greater ability to do the twist instead of the boogie woogie.

The modern equivelent of the gaff rig.

19 minutes ago, inebriated said:

nah, it wants to actually beat wild oats this time hahaha

:) + they've already got the records. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, inebriated said:

nah, it wants to actually beat wild oats this time hahaha

On 2018-03-11 at 1:25 AM, SCANAS said:

96c433126dbfaba27f2c10c92dc227bf.jpg

3 hours ago, Svanen said:

96c433126dbfaba27f2c10c92dc227bf.jpg

A recap of how you felt after Richo took your virginity?

The radical reverse bow Maxi 72 Cannonball has or is entering the Sydney to Hobart according to this Instagram post. A little surprising as I thought these things were designed for the Maxi72 circuit which isn't Syd to Hobart stuff depending on the weather. 

http://www.botinpartners.com/project.php?id=74

cannonball.PNG

I assume that the maxi 72 would be designed along the same lines as a TP?

CYCA will let them sail because they are high profile even if they are nothing more than a inshore overgrown skiff.

If it is heavy and on the nose they wont go.

5 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Cannonball should just make slip reservations for the evening of the 26th in Eden now. 

That's a bit optimistic. What about keeping it's berth at the CYCA?

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

That's a bit optimistic. What about keeping it's berth at the CYCA?

Touch wood.... I recall the Lupa of London guys sailed their boat out here for the Hobart race a couple of years ago and didn't even make it half way up the harbour before getting involved in a port / starboard incident that saw them back on the dock by 3pm on the 26th.

What's it rate..?

What's the forecast..?

Are Multis in this year....?  Surely it's time

Sunfish..?

Have I forgotten anything..... 

10 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

What's it rate..?

What's the forecast..?

Sunfish..?

Azzuro, Hollywood, Hair product, Wharro...

• Like 1

singlehanders

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

What's it rate..?

What's the forecast..?

Sunfish..?