bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

3 hours ago, Bruno said:

And that's how you get a 3rd row start, too close to leeward, room to weather, hesitant, no boat speed and can't drive off to leeward before the gun.

Hungarians on M3 just torched that start

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

No boat speed+ too early 2 line + owners g/f driving (maybe?) = hang head down and hope no one recognizes you.   Oi vay baby!

And the one-eyed sexist award for 2018 goes to blunderfull, for failing to consider that a woman can own a yacht.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

What is it with the life jackets on a beautiful Sydney Nor Easter (And the phone in the back pocket)

Went back to watch this but no luck.

43 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Was just reading through the posts from overnight and have one question.

When did SA get taken over by channel 7? There are more boats in the race than the 4 remaining maxi's and the other boats from the first, and what seems only, start line.

Looking at the forecasts, the IRC0, 1 & 2 boats will all be slowing down as they cross bass strait and head down the tassie coast, whilst the IRC3 & 4 boats look like they will be running with good pressure most of the way south. I think the Tatts winner will be whoever can stay in that pressure and round Tasman Island at lunchtime Saturday.

I think the winner will be a boat with an IRC handicap of 1.000 to 1.050.

Komatsu Azzuro are flying right now but will probably have a night sail up the derwent.

As a small boat fan I think the issue is that there are too many variables to watch corrected time honours in the same way we watch the big boat battle unfold.

Seems like with the amount of downwind sailing in this forecast it might just be the year for Chutzpah.... that boat goes as well off the breeze as they go poorly up it. 

Forgive my ignorance but does the engine run continuously on those monsters for trimming and cant or is there another source of stored power system aboard.

Why don’t they just rig everything on power furlers  and eliminate the weight of half the crew.

I with you Curious small boat classes need more attention.

7 minutes ago, Curious said:

As a small boat fan I think the issue is that there are too many variables to watch corrected time honours in the same way we watch the big boat battle unfold.

Sadly I think this is true. It is hard to get enthused watching a race in real time where the winner will be decided by a spreadsheet.

This year we have a real race out the front. One where the navigators will win the race. As a spectator we can observe the tactics, tradeoffs, and risks in an engaging unfolding race. Great pity we lost Scally. There was a whole other story if they were there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

No offense but whoever called that start buys first round in Hobart.

No offence taken. The guy trimming the main on was not in 1st gear...

If they’d been a boat length forward and a touch faster all those guys to windward would have been locked out and going round again.

A great battle going on in the 60's group apart from Naval who are having a shitter.

Hard to get rid of more crew as you need the weight on the rail and the manpower to move those massive sails around.

If you want to do the same speeds as Comanche with 6 vs. their current 19, at 1/5th the cost or better, sail a MOD70.

Now from an armchair sailing debate having 5 100 footers on the line is more exciting (but 10 MOD70’s would be something), and if it turned nasty in bass straight I’d rather be on the mono.

22 minutes ago, Curious said:

Sounds like CH7 logic....

5 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Hard to get rid of more crew as you need the weight on the rail and the manpower to move those massive sails around.

If you want to do the same speeds as Comanche with 6 vs. their current 19, at 1/5th the cost or better, sail a MOD70.

Now from an armchair sailing debate having 5 100 footers on the line is more exciting (but 10 MOD70’s would be something), and if it turned nasty in bass straight I’d rather be on the mono.

I don't know, they look very stable upside down......

58 minutes ago, lydia said:

Only problem is scanas and the rumcar  are have placed the biggest bet on the course in small boats

It does look like they will have made either a master stroke or major fuckup tactical decision. Time will tell.

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

No she is on the lawn and a Etchell lass whose name escapes me is on the water. I get the impression Nic is partnering with CYC to secure access but is then tied to not competing with Channel 7. That or something.

I was on shore for my live interview show, and then live with the ABC Grandstand radio for the start. 

Channel 7 has full rights to all live vision - so there was really no point going on the water. I am not allowed to even do live Instagram stories. 

I had two sidekicks on the water sending me vision and intel so that I could tell you guys what was happening, and the ABC were cool enough to let me live stream our commentary that was going to national radio to my Facebook in exchange for me staying on shore to help them out :)  That broadcast only went to five minutes after the start, so I just kept it rolling for you all on Facebook. 

Was the absolute best that I could do! 

About to board the plane, and will keep you posted as often as I can x I am working with the CYC as of yesterday afternoon to help with some of their social media coverage, but they have more hired me as a talent - I will still be doing my own coverage thanks to the support of Musto, Harken and North. 

Happy Hobart everyone :) thank you for following - the more you watch and share, the more I events I can cover around the World for you guys :)

• Like 18

Dare say oats staying out a little East to get first use of the building breeze and hope they dont lose out too much to the indian

12 minutes ago, hoppy said:

It does look like they will have made either a master stroke or major fuckup tactical decision. Time will tell.

Nature of small boat IRC racing against 100 footers and TPs

Optimize your boat to a corner then bet hard and bet big!

Off on a 9 hour Road Trip, Melbourne to sunny Ulladulla to meet Patriot who are on their way there under emergency steering after losing their rudder last night. All are safe and well on board but understandably devastated. I am taking rum and champagne with me as consoling fluid to assist them in their hour of need. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, sailorgirl218 said:

I was on shore for my live interview show, and then live with the ABC Grandstand radio for the start. 

Channel 7 has full rights to all live vision - so there was really no point going on the water. I am not allowed to even do live Instagram stories. 

is this a sell out by the CYCA or ch7 playing hardball?

Cheers SailorGirl....What will you be able to do for showing the finish........Yes ownership by corporation central is getting worse .  Thanks for you great efforts...

6 minutes ago, lydia said:

Nature of small boat IRC racing against 100 footers and TPs

Optimize your boat to a corner then bet hard and bet big!

I guess you have to take risks to win. You can't win if you follow everyone else...

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Might be time to shut the fuck up now princess. You have shown you are a ignorant cocksucker- there is no need to keep confirming it.

You sound like you take MR's cock hard in the arse. Do you enjoy it?

It’s a shame that Rambler 88 isn’t there to play with the others. Their performance has come on a long way since they last raced in the S2H

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Off on a 9 hour Road Trip, Melbourne to sunny Ulladulla to meet Patriot who are on their way there under emergency steering after losing their rudder last night. All are safe and well on board but understandably devastated. I am taking rum and champagne with me as consoling fluid to assist them in their hour of need. 

They hit something or just straight failure?

Was hoping they'd have a good one. 

Comanche smoking WOXI in the last hour, they must be hiking over the bowsprit!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

We have a battle but Comanche surprising as it looks light and not a lot of angle. 

Quite amazing really.

Who will have the edge in these lighter air running conditions among the 60-70 footers..? 

8 minutes ago, ASP said:

Who will have the edge in these lighter air running conditions among the 60-70 footers..? 

The skinny RPs

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Sounds like CH7 logic....

No, the logic of someone who has actually been there and done it a few times on smaller boats. 

No matter how much we may cheer on Mark Twain, for example, the contest between her and MR (also worth cheering on) is not going to really be easy to watch at this stage as it will probably depend on who gets the breaks around Tasman Island etc. The small boats are spread widely.

The LH contenders, in contrast, all have the same chance to get the same conditions. We can watch the race unfold in a different way.

How many long ocean races have you done on small boats?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

We have a battle but Comanche surprising as it looks light and not a lot of angle. 

Don't be fooled by the wind overlay, that's only a prediction not the real wind.

1 minute ago, trt131 said:

Don't be fooled by the wind overlay, that's only a prediction not the real wind.

Thanks for the reminder, it's easy to forget, sometimes wonder if that statement shouldn't be in bold upper-case, sort of "shout it into the brain".

the Indian back in front of Oats by 1.6nm in what's said to be light air? those wind overlays can't be right...

Comanche doing 15.1kts @ 215 in 4kts of breeze? compared to Oats 11.5kts @ 203? approx 9nm separation

a change in the order.......but nicely surprised by Speedboat, to be tucked in there...

1 hour ago, Curious said:

And the one-eyed sexist award for 2018 goes to blunderfull, for failing to consider that a woman can own a yacht.

Easy mate you’re assuming a tad much here.

If they throw a vid up like that, then they take their shots from we in the armchairs.   They were working agst a tough fleet in flukey conditions - who knows what put them in that box in the first place?  Props for doing S2H.   Me?   Never been.    

We good now?    

And ummm...you can find me in the harbor crewing for my g/f in the summer.  We have fun.  Just sayin........

• Like 2

Black Jack edging out WOXI as well, I wonder if they have a small issue? Maybe the genset crapped out :)

1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

No offence taken. The guy trimming the main on was not in 1st gear...

If they’d been a boat length forward and a touch faster all those guys to windward would have been locked out and going round again.

Agreed, in a fleet like that & conditions varying,  I would keep speed on & run the line.  Take whatever hole you find and roll with the first row.  

14 minutes ago, Curious said:

No, the logic of someone who has actually been there and done it a few times on smaller boats. 

No matter how much we may cheer on Mark Twain, for example, the contest between her and MR (also worth cheering on) is not going to really be easy to watch at this stage as it will probably depend on who gets the breaks around Tasman Island etc. The small boats are spread widely.

The LH contenders, in contrast, all have the same chance to get the same conditions. We can watch the race unfold in a different way.

How many long ocean races have you done on small boats?

I beg to differ...

With the tracker and the standings page, you can just as easily watch the race at the back of the fleet for handicap as you can for LH. Obviously you cannot compare Patrice (currently 1st), Privateer (currently 8th) and Midnight Rambler (10th) because they are all in a "different race", but you can compare MR with others in it's division or the next who are sailing in similar waters. The CYCA does the hard bit of calculation. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

a change in the order.......but nicely surprised by Speedboat, to be tucked in there...

very impressed by Infotrack so far. Right in it!

24 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Windyty shows it building in shore.

Edit: This is really going to shit me if everyone parks within sight of the line again. 

Best boat on boat to watch today is grace O’Malley vs 2unlimited and midnight rambler vs trumpcard

7 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I beg to differ...

With the tracker and the standings page, you can just as easily watch the race at the back of the fleet for handicap as you can for LH. Obviously you cannot compare Patrice (currently 1st), Privateer (currently 8th) and Midnight Rambler (10th) because they are all in a "different race", but you can compare MR with others in it's division or the next who are sailing in similar waters. The CYCA does the hard bit of calculation. 

Sorry, I’m with Curious on this one. The line honor battle makes for great TV. Handicap racing makes for shit TV. There’s no way around it. Only us sailors pay attention to handicap. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lydia said:

Best boat on boat to watch today is grace O’Malley vs 2unlimited and midnight rambler vs trumpcard

I see TC has gybed and is now pointing towards Tassie. Both TC & MR are doing the same speed. 

GOM & 2U is interesting to.

You must like that Cinquante is snapping at the heals of Sail Exchange who dropped out of the 40ft Farr race.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Sorry, I’m with Curious on this one. The line honor battle makes for great TV. Handicap racing makes for shit TV. There’s no way around it. Only us sailors pay attention to handicap. 

I agree that a big boat doing 20+ is far more exciting vision than a small boat doing 10. But we are talking sailors watching a tracker and regularly updated standings online. I'm happy to watch the races within the race rather than getting a twitter like Maxi feed where everyone excitedly posts when Richo takes a dump and then discuss what he must of had for breakfast. 

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Easy mate you’re assuming a tad much here.

If they throw a vid up like that, then they take their shots from we in the armchairs.   They were working agst a tough fleet in flukey conditions - who knows what put them in that box in the first place?  Props for doing S2H.   Me?   Never been.    

We good now?    

And ummm...you can find me in the harbor crewing for my g/f in the summer.  We have fun.  Just sayin........

Ok, cheers

WOXI back to 3rd soon to be 4th ??? She should be legging it in this light stuff!

And Alive showing her sister how to make a 66 boogie, go Duncan.

And the three RP 60's are wriggling their skinny arses at the Mills, and hotfooting away.

Man, I need an eye relaxant to keep up with the spin off races.

22 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I beg to differ...

The issue for some of us  is that the tracker doesn't show what may happen when Ed and Spiesie, for instance, are hours apart and one is in the river and the other off the Island or Hippolytes. The standings also rely too much on boatspeed at a point in time - there are many instances where a boat that rates higher and is many miles behind will show up on standings ahead, because it is momentarily faster.

The point is that even for those of us who are small boat fans and sailors, the LH race can be interesting to watch unfold. The IRC story tends to unfold later.

3 minutes ago, Maw said:

These are the races that put meaning back into the Navigators award. 

It actually now ought to be called the computer operator award.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

:)

Yes, but in a sense, you're only as good as your tools. Look at a Will Oxley with Expedition or Adrena'd be like watching a maestro compared to a me missing the obvious layline error from bad sensor input. 

4 minutes ago, Maw said:

Yes, but in a sense, you're only as good as your tools. Look at a Will Oxley with Expedition or Adrena'd be like watching a maestro compared to a me missing the obvious layline error from bad sensor input. 

No question about that, along with all the instrument calibration that is required. 

1 hour ago, sailorgirl218 said:

It’d be great if, next year, 7 got you and your sidekicks to cover the 2nd & 3rd lines on an alternate channel/stream (presuming they make some improvements to this year’s patchy 7plus streams)

That said, there’s a place for the coverage you did this year, and I definitely enjoyed having it - cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animeproblem said:

Thanks for the reminder, it's easy to forget, sometimes wonder if that statement shouldn't be in bold upper-case, sort of "shout it into the brain".

Yeah obviously the case more breeze on the inside

11 minutes ago, Maw said:

Will is a very good meteorologist also.

The next challenge for AoaSG is does she: 

• Generate income as a media personality? 
  • Generate income as a broadcast company?

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. If I was CYCA, I'd put a survey out to all of the boat owners post-race for input/suggestions. 

I betcha the flood of negaitvity from all corners about the worsening CH7 effort would be the first awakening needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

The three leaders inside the rhumb line look to be going a bit better than woxi 10 miles to the east.

No shit Sherlock

1 hour ago, lydia said:

A little surprised how much higher Trump (hard to type that word without thinking orange, though I remember the bright red TC used to be decked out in...) Card rates than Midnight Rambler. I know there's about 8' in loa, but TC is pretty pinched in the bum... Grabbed in the PU+*Y?

The other thing to remember is that the speed shown is momentary and not an average over the last ten minutes.  So a boat could be blasting down a wave or digging into the wave in front at the time of the tracker ping.

58 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

Not really.  Thinking this, is a naive idea of what the software can and can't do. In the end it just does what a human being can do on a chart, just do it many many times in a short length of time. So it is just a tool. It frees the mind of a really good navigator from the drudgery and lets them work on the difficult stuff. 

2 minutes ago, trt131 said:

The other thing to remember is that the speed shown is momentary and not an average over the last ten minutes.  So a boat could be blasting down a wave or digging into the wave in front at the time of the tracker ping.

No shit Sherlock, :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trt131 said:

The other thing to remember is that the speed shown is momentary and not an average over the last ten minutes.

The numbers are a guide, most know that. Woxi easing further behind.

There must be a reason but on the face of it I can't see why they are holding on to the East, they have made no move to come back to the RL and have lost more than 5 nm out there.

39 minutes ago, Maw said:

These are the races that put meaning back into the Navigators award. 

35 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

18 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Will is a very good meteorologist also.

It is a common misconception all a navagator does these days is facilitate the inputing of data to generate a preferred course. However what is forgetten to get to that preferred course requires looking at a myriad of options that increase proportionally with the length of the race. Pre a long race that may involve over a hundred options. Only a human can really successfully choose between options and variables as they arise and do it quickly as things change on the water.

If you assume everyone is adept at setup, calibration and are largely using the same same gribs and sat images etc, the meteorological side can be the difference between the good and super good. That may involve staring at a barograph and looking out the window to assertain why the latest forecast to hand is not panning out, so you start punching in your own forecasts adjustments.

This race has been the most technicaly demanding for a while and for a fair slab of the fleet.

If there was one thing that would improve the couch potatoes life is having their live instrument data come up on the tracker instead of having to guess real conditions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, paps49 said:

There must be a reason but on the face of it I can't see why they are holding on to the East, they have made no move to come back to the RL and have lost more than 5 nm out there.

that rhumb line has no actual significance to them anymore...

the main thing is that they are reaching.., and the difficulty of dealing with reaches on ocean races is often underestimated,

the problem with reaches on ocean races is that it can be very difficult (expensive) to change lanes - you either go low and slow.., or high and slow...

so, you often are more or less locked in to your lane.., and it can be frustrating to find you have not chosen the best lane at the beginning of the reach

• Like 2

Interesting update on the big prize (Couta Vs Fielberg Jug)       Couta is leading on IRC = 42nd to Fielberg = 56th

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Isn’t Envy at 1.398 against Ichi’s 1.397 ?

With Ichi ahead the tracker showed Envy #1 so tracker glitch. Anyway looking at where Envy (and Langman) have placed themselves no one is going to be too worried about them now.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

If there was one thing that would improve the couch potatoes life is having their live instrument data come up on the tracker instead of having to guess real conditions.

Oh deary me yes. All we know right now is that the weather we see on the tracker is wrong. 

Which rather underlines the reality of the routing software. You can feed it the predictions, but you know from the outset that they are fiction to a greater or lesser extent. So you know, a-priori, the routing is also a fiction. Working out what that fiction is, and what is really happening is a whole different science. That is IMHO part of what makes watching these guys so enthralling.

14 minutes ago, paps49 said:

I can't see why they are holding on to the East,

Me either. They must think there's going to be better breeze out there? Not paying yet, but may happen later in the day.

I reccon Lard has gone overboard and they don't have the manpower to get him back on board.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Me either. They must think there's going to be better breeze out there? Not paying yet, but may happen later in the day.

Few boats gybed to the west now. Oats went first

The Derwent will be glassed out come midnight tonight. I think they will be looking at early morning tomorrow but hard to tell 

10 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Few boats gybed to the west now. Oats went first

Still tight. Two leaders east of the rhumb now.

47 minutes ago, paps49 said:

I too am a bit puzzled at that for if the forecast is to be believed once south of Cape Barren the breeze should pick up and back north favouring those to the right/west. It would seem to me all but WOXI has that in mind.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

I too am a bit puzzled at that for if the forecast is to be believed once south of Cape Barren the breeze should pick up and back north favouring those to the right/west. It would seem to me all but WOXI has that in mind.

Well the cricket is going to shit and its 41C outside so I'm stuck here trying to figure it out. It's too fucking hot to even go for a sail!

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The Derwent will be glassed out come midnight tonight. I think they will be looking at early morning tomorrow but hard to tell 

it'll be tomorrow ..... i'm thinking 10 ish

1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

Leaders have definitely slowed.

finally into that transition. will be very interesting to see how comanche's mods will hold up