bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

2 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Looks sunny. 

Could have a mid morning glass out as the day warms up

woxi is pointed right at Dennes Pt, which currently shows 0 gusting 1kt

And we're off, plenty of breeze in the river, 10 knots or so by the looks of it. 

I was just wondering about Infotrack as well. Setting up for a hotter angle expecting the glass off? Whatever they're looking for, they paid dearly for it.

7 minutes ago, opusnz said:

Marinetraffic is showing that both Comanche and Blackjack have flipped to the north.

looks like woxi is surrounded by boats - all of them showing up on ais.., but not woxi...

Comanche has now passed Blackjack.   Too bad that you can't see the other boats on Marinetraffic.   They must have their AIS switched off.

2 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

They've got wind spotter on the top spreaders 

20181228_071639.jpg

Up there to pop the spreaders on the gyb

21 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

What's the tide doing flooding or ebbing?

Low water is at 08:05 AEST, ie in about half an hours time.

Finish approach is live on 7 Hobart now.

https://it.images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrIQZOZOSVc_5IASOVHDwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=PETER+RADCLYFFE&fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_003&hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003

26 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Up there to pop the spreaders on the gyb

I’m rather hoping it’s the battens... (I know you know that anyway!)

Just now, The Main Man said:

I’m rather hoping it’s the battens... (I know you know that anyway!)

:)

That steeled the debate on whether WoXI can still live up to her record.

This is a race where every placeholders earned their spot.

Best I've watched in years.

It is unfortunate that there is no coverage of the Comanche/Black Jack battle. I see helicopters flying around; aren't they taking video?

Just now, despacio avenue said:

It is unfortunate that there is no coverage of the Comanche/Black Jack battle. I see helicopters flying around; aren't they taking video?

Abc have a chopper in the air. We may get a look in a few minutes 

3 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Well done chasps!

Indeed 9 is a monumental effort.

LINE HONOURS | Live Stream

Watch the gripping line honours finish of the 2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

Sorry, something went wrong.

We are working on it and we'll get it fixed as soon as we can.

Fuck u Facefuck motherfuckers.

Blackjack is now in second place. You can’t see it on the tracker, but you can on live coverage, ABC or 7 Hobart.

Well they are gybing all the way to the finish, that should give a clue..... Blackjack got some extra heading puff out of Ralph’s Bay to get past Comanche.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maw said:

Here ya go Lono :)

Pick one!

Capture.JPG

Thanks Maw... jesus, its like pond sailing in the midwest of the USA....

Sad to see what Comanche has been reduced to. Shes only 4 years old. Before she came to Australia she was the fastest, most powerful sail boat in the world. She was dominant, she was beating all other boats she raced against and was breaking records everywhere she went. Now she's struggling to hold onto boats 10+ years her senior. She needs to go back to doing what she does best, big breeze racing, breaking records, Trans Atlantic races, not Sydney Hobarts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Sad to see what Comanche has been reduced to. Shes only 4 years old. Before she came to Australia she was the fastest, most powerful sail boat in the world. She was dominant, she was beating all other boats she raced against and was breaking records everywhere she went. Now she's struggling to hold onto boats 10+ years her senior. She needs to go back to doing what she does best, big breeze racing, breaking records, Trans Atlantic races, not Sydney Hobarts.

She never faced any other supermaxis before coming to Australia. And I believe has only  beat Infotrack boat for boat in the S-H.

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Still is arguably the fastest and most powerful boat in the world.... in some conditions, just not an all rounder. Commanche had the highest speeds when the wind was up.

Comint to Australia didn’t change that.

12 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Get a fucking clue.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

What records are left can she conceivably break? She was always a rather extreme design that made her dominant in the right conditions, but plagued with a bunch of compromises. She can win line honors in races like Fastnet and Sydney Hobart if the conditions are right - but in races like Middle Sea, she's not balanced enough of a boat.

Back to regular programming...Alive and Wild oats X 1&2 overall, how accurate is windy? What is the local outlook?

Well Done to Oats no doubt on this win, proves at 14 years of age and a few mod's she has still got it to win, and good call by BJ to come up Eastern side to get the wind over Comanche.

7 minutes ago, bayboy said:

Well Done to Oats no doubt on this win, proves at 14 years of age and a few mod's she has still got it to win, and good call by BJ to come up Eastern side to get the wind over Comanche.

More like a testimony to grandfathered tungsten bulbs and motorsailers...

Black Jack highlighting WOXI didnt have their AIS turned on, not protesting but just saying

Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

• Like 2

WOXI was the first Motor Sailer across the line!  Hamilton Island bookings will go through the roof!

Well done boys!  What kind of engine do they use?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill E Goat said:

Black Jack highlighting WOXI didnt have their AIS turned on, not protesting but just saying

Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

Rulz is Rulz.

One hour penalty coming up!

24 minutes ago, bayboy said:

Full credit to them - great decisive victory in another gentle year.

But to say it is a 14year old boat is a stretch...  New bow, new stern, new rig(s), new appendages - I think the only bits remaining from the original boat are the keel and the crew.  (And other than the yearly questionable blowups leaving the harbour, the crew are a big key to this puzzle I'd say)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, random said:

Rulz is Rulz.

One hour penalty coming up!

Who says it wasn't on?  May not have been functional but shit breaks every day.  

4 minutes ago, Rohanoz said:

Full credit to them - great decisive victory in another gentle year.

But to say it is a 14year old boat is a stretch...  New bow, new stern, new rig(s), new appendages - I think the only bits remaining from the original boat are the keel and the crew.  (And other than the yearly questionable blowups leaving the harbour, the crew are a big key to this puzzle I'd say)

Like an old broad with access to a plastic surgeon.  Congrats to them on a great race.  

37 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Back to regular programming...Alive and Wild oats X 1&2 overall, how accurate is windy? What is the local outlook?

WIndy looks to be on the light side ATM. Currently showing 2 knots in Norfolk bay, I reckon it is 5+ knots.

Local forecast: http://www.bom.gov.au/places/tas/hobart/forecast/detailed/

SE Breeze should build in the Derwent until late afternoon.

Go the girls!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, overlay said:

Jee sus, we have been through this before with the HF not working  before passing Green Cape dramas.

The precedents been set.

FLICK THE CHEAT.

With 10 min updates for the tracker, what possible advantage did they gain?  They sailed a great race and fuck silly protests.

17 minutes ago, Rohanoz said:

......But to say it is a 14year old boat is a stretch...  New bow, new stern, new rig(s), new appendages - I think the only bits remaining from the original boat are the keel and the crew.  (And other than the yearly questionable blowups leaving the harbour, the crew are a big key to this puzzle I'd say)

Agree, but the really significant change for me was moving the rig back in the boat by cutting off some of the stern and putting it back on the bow. Much bigger foretriangle and less pitching and nosediving.

1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

Agree, but the really significant change for me was moving the rig back in the boat by cutting off some of the stern and putting it back on the bow. Much bigger foretriangle and less pitching and nosediving.

It is quite noticeable between oats and BJ positioning of the rig

18 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Go the girls!

The biggest delta between these two has been around 5 mile. Great race and a good match up of superstar girls versus a bunch of relative unknowns (except Wouter) but who know their boat backwards. They both are going to need breeze though to keep Ichi off the top shelf.

18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pretty sure first time around Tasman Is for both SciFi and Wouter??? Both gone for the close and tight approach??

Isn't Libby on WOX ?

23 minutes ago, overlay said:

Jee sus, we have been through this before with the HF not working  before passing Green Cape dramas.

The precedents been set.

FLICK THE CHEAT.

I detest people on this forum that know nothing about sailing, the race and the boats, and you are one of the worst.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bayboy said:

The only thing 14 years old is probably the nameplate.

Otherwise it is a great boat for most years in the S2H race but what has she proven otherwise?

32 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Who says it wasn't on?  May not have been functional but shit breaks every day.  

On the the way to the start line?

30 minutes ago, overlay said:

The precedents been set.

FLICK THE CHEAT.

You can always lodge a 69 Protest with WS and RC concurrently against the RC's decision not to enforce their SI's and bringing sport into disrepute. Though you might need to think about life in Witness Protection.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The biggest delta between these two has been around 5 mile. Great race and a good match up of superstar girls versus a bunch of relative unknowns (except Wouter) but who know their boat backwards. They both are going to need breeze though to keep Ichi off the top shelf.

I would expect the boats behind Alive and WOX to have the better breeze this afternoon if they get to the Derwent in time.

Still, Go the girls! A podium for them will do a lot for offshore sailing overall......

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

With 10 min updates for the tracker, what possible advantage did they gain?  They sailed a great race and fuck silly protests.

nobody is going to protest them..., and i think we can all agree it would be a dick move to do so.

but why don't they just make it easy on everyone and follow the rules?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, overlay said:

The precedents been set.

FLICK THE CHEAT.

Calm your farm fella. Well done Oats well sailed races should be decided on the water 

2 minutes ago, us7070 said:

nobody is going to protest them..., and i think we can all agree it would be a dick move to do so.

but why don't they just make it easy on everyone and follow the rules?

It would be a better look for sure.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Midnight Rambler also had a night to forget.

and not the best morning either, doing 1.9 knots now.

Gun Runner had a good one. They just need the wind hole ahead to close in front of them.

• Downvote 1

Each of the super Maxis were in a position to win at different times during the race. Tactics and positioning won the race and WO XI  are masters at this race.  I wouldn’t write off any of the boats especially Comanche. The way she power reached to the lead after the first turning mark at the heads was impressive to me.  I was happy to see that because my 18’er has a relatively fat rear also.