bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

The boat's heading down to Sydney when the forecast says so......And the team van is ready to go.....

You know you have made it in sailing when you have a team van.

Are there many that loiter in the SYC car park? At RMYS only PC has a van.

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

You know you have made it in sailing when you have a team van.

Are there many that loiter in the SYC car park? At RMYS only PC has a van.

I think you're putting the horse before the cart. Sailing doesn't pay for vans. 

53 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I think you're putting the horse before the cart. Sailing doesn't pay for vans. 

Where do you put your horse?

18 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Where do you put your horse?

Ahh shit ;) 

On 6/22/2018 at 9:24 AM, Couta said:

The boat's heading down to Sydney when the forecast says so......And the team van is ready to go.....

How long before some juvenile delinquent alters that name with the careful placement of some red and black vinyl tape. Challenge accepted?

• Like 1

Seriously LP... would Yoodoo do, or VooPoo, or will we just go for ooPoo? Over to you...

3 hours ago, Couta said:

Seriously LP... would Yoodoo do, or VooPoo, or will we just go for ooPoo? Over to you...

You do that VooDoo that you do, so well.

2 bits of red tape and you can have....YooPoo! Done, now where's my prize?

So what's the goss on the WO show? 

Full up after you took Richo's spot, ha!

Say Hi to Sandy for me. 

VD ocean racing

35943573_1704375902951671_6132280229927845888_n.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/9/2018 at 10:42 PM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Is that some kind of weird sexual fetish?

Sounds like my marriage. 

Like the ones they call jumpers? Looks like it's been extended by the location of the backstays. Is it bols or something weird like that?

12 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Ragamuffin 90 aka genuine risk.

How did that sneak in

8 hours ago, Swanno said:

How did that sneak in

Has been is Sydney for around 18 months but on a mooring off Balmain. The TP52 is now parked up for sale in Mosman Bay, perhaps joining the big boys in a (slow) 90fter

• Like 1

While we're on the topic, what's the best way for a foreigner to start looking for a ride for the SH? I'm all the way up in Canada and want an excuse to miss the family christmas dinner. Kinda tough to find people looking for crew online, crew banks are useless. 20 year old dude, I've got some offshore experience on tp52's.

Rush down to Sydney ASAP and impregnate  an owners daughter. Choose your boat wisely and you could set yourself up for life. Others have done so before you.

16 minutes ago, Flatbag said:

Rush down to Sydney ASAP and impregnate  an owners daughter. Choose your boat wisely and you could set yourself up for life. Others have done so before you.

The answer of who to choose is the easy bit...

e35a594d7076d689735e4e22c7683b0b?width=6

8 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

Pretty tricky I'd suggest, unless you have a contact on a boat, most boats would want you to be training with them for most of the year doing shorter races. You would also probably want to be training on a boat to get to know the other crew and boat. But there is also the pay your way rides which can be fairly pricey, I've seen one advertised for $8990 AUD to do some training and then the S2H race. 

Monster project VO70 might fit that bill

On 7/22/2018 at 5:09 PM, monosailor said:

Has been is Sydney for around 18 months but on a mooring off Balmain. The TP52 is now parked up for sale in Mosman Bay, perhaps joining the big boys in a (slow) 90fter

Was on the market for 900k so 450k & it's yours! 

3 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Looking slow

1 day 12 hours for WOXI, 1day 12 hours for a TP52 & 2 days 5 hours for a Sydney 38

Thread check?

I hope they remember to put the keel back on...

19 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

I wonder if Nicholson coming onboard is the beginning of the end for Witt.

Has he got a navigator yet?

On 8/10/2018 at 7:18 AM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Might have to wait a few years before Nicho stops doing what he is doing and becomes a one boat BN.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:25 PM, SCANAS said:

Was on the market for 900k so 450k & it's yours! 

Selling his boats on the same basis as he pays his bills?

hope she makes a dollar out of it.

That is truly BAD

somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

We should feel blessed. She only has 5 videos in 9yrs to her YouTube channel. 

Here's some more:

Will be good to see Scallywag back for the Hobart. That makes it 5 x 100's if she is in.? After doing the Volvo can Witt put a more competitive campaign together this time? 

16 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Will be good to see Scallywag back for the Hobart. That makes it 5 x 100's if she is in.? After doing the Volvo can Witt put a more competitive campaign together this time? 

Should think so. What work did they do to it this time? 

Will be very interesting to see who the navigator is & if he listens to them!

On 8/13/2018 at 3:38 PM, SCANAS said:

Will be very interesting to see who the navigator is & if he listens to them!

Will be interesting to see if anyone of any note is willing to put up with him, though I suspect post Volvo he might have changed his tune a bit.

Chris Nicholson joins the Doyle Sails Business and World-Class Team

Chris Nicholson is buying into Doyle Sails Lake MacQuarie in NSW Australia. He will be working in partnership with Peter McNeill who has been a sailmaker for 40 years having set up his own business in 1992 and who has been part of Doyle Sails Group since 2007. Peter is an experienced sailmaker and also a world class sailor winning multiple events including the 2004 Etchells World Championships.

Chris joins an already extensive list of Doyle Sails world class sailors and designers with leading sail and boat design and development experience servicing the racing and performance Superyacht and Grand Prix racing circuits. Although Chris will be based out of the Australian loft network, he will be working with Doyle clients globally.

“I have seen the Doyle brand grow and develop over the last few years and witnessed the products in action on many boats that I have raced on. The Superyacht and Grand Prix racing scene is growing and its great to be part of a brand that is central to this scene and already working with some of the most exciting projects.

I’m looking forward to getting involved and using my experience and contacts to contribute to the ongoing growth and success of the Doyle brand and to the specific growth of the business in Australia. It’s exciting and challenging for me to be working with some of the best people in the industry. We are going to be all about customer service and satisfaction.”

“Having set up my own business in 1992, I then joined the Doyle Group in 2007 and have never looked back. I am able to focus on my own market and business whilst also having the back-up of a global brand and leading experts in terms of design and sailing. Working with Chris will take us to the next level, both locally and internationally so this is a very exciting time for Doyle Sails Lake MacQuarie and in Australia generally.”

Mike Sanderson, CEO Doyle Sails International, wrapped up with his views on today’s announcement:

“One of my stated ambitions last year when I took over the leadership of the Doyle brand was to bring in new and exciting talent to add to the existing world class Doyle Sails expertise. Fast sailors give the best input to make fast sails and there is no better example of that type of person than Chris Nicholson! So, I am very excited to have him join our team.

Our opportunities are quickly growing in Australia and our plan is to soon announce a new facility to work with these new projects, located in NSW close enough to Sydney for all Doyle lofts to use, capable of servicing Super-yachts and 100 Foot maxis – more and more of which are being seen in Australia. Chris will not be limiting his work just to Australia though and we all look forward to seeing him representing the Doyle Brand globally as a loft owner and ambassador.”

Chris Nicholson will be racing at Hamilton Island race week and starts this new project with immediate effect. He can be contacted through the details shown below. 

https://www.sail-world.com/news/208823

Wonder if this means Scally will go Doyle?

5 hours ago, southerncross said:

Our opportunities are quickly growing in Australia and our plan is to soon announce a new facility to work with these new projects, located in NSW close enough to Sydney for all Doyle lofts to use, capable of servicing Super-yachts and 100 Foot maxis

does this mean we're getting a local doyle laminating press ?

16 hours ago, southerncross said:

Chris Nicholson joins the Doyle Sails Business and World-Class Team

Chris Nicholson is buying into Doyle Sails Lake MacQuarie in NSW Australia. He will be working in partnership with Peter McNeill who has been a sailmaker for 40 years having set up his own business in 1992 and who has been part of Doyle Sails Group since 2007. Peter is an experienced sailmaker and also a world class sailor winning multiple events including the 2004 Etchells World Championships.

Chris joins an already extensive list of Doyle Sails world class sailors and designers with leading sail and boat design and development experience servicing the racing and performance Superyacht and Grand Prix racing circuits. Although Chris will be based out of the Australian loft network, he will be working with Doyle clients globally.

“I have seen the Doyle brand grow and develop over the last few years and witnessed the products in action on many boats that I have raced on. The Superyacht and Grand Prix racing scene is growing and its great to be part of a brand that is central to this scene and already working with some of the most exciting projects.

I’m looking forward to getting involved and using my experience and contacts to contribute to the ongoing growth and success of the Doyle brand and to the specific growth of the business in Australia. It’s exciting and challenging for me to be working with some of the best people in the industry. We are going to be all about customer service and satisfaction.”

“Having set up my own business in 1992, I then joined the Doyle Group in 2007 and have never looked back. I am able to focus on my own market and business whilst also having the back-up of a global brand and leading experts in terms of design and sailing. Working with Chris will take us to the next level, both locally and internationally so this is a very exciting time for Doyle Sails Lake MacQuarie and in Australia generally.”

Mike Sanderson, CEO Doyle Sails International, wrapped up with his views on today’s announcement:

“One of my stated ambitions last year when I took over the leadership of the Doyle brand was to bring in new and exciting talent to add to the existing world class Doyle Sails expertise. Fast sailors give the best input to make fast sails and there is no better example of that type of person than Chris Nicholson! So, I am very excited to have him join our team.

Our opportunities are quickly growing in Australia and our plan is to soon announce a new facility to work with these new projects, located in NSW close enough to Sydney for all Doyle lofts to use, capable of servicing Super-yachts and 100 Foot maxis – more and more of which are being seen in Australia. Chris will not be limiting his work just to Australia though and we all look forward to seeing him representing the Doyle Brand globally as a loft owner and ambassador.”

Chris Nicholson will be racing at Hamilton Island race week and starts this new project with immediate effect. He can be contacted through the details shown below. 

https://www.sail-world.com/news/208823

Wonder if this means Scally will go Doyle?

Is Nicholson involved with Scally now?

4 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

On 8/9/2018 at 1:18 PM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

5 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

According to post 236. Yes. 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Wasn't it something Witty said in a video posted in the VOR thread?

14 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Nico 100% with Scally..... Witty / Girlfriend will employer Nico so it won't mean the end of Witty.

42 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Nico 100% with Scally..... Witty / Girlfriend will employer Nico so it won't mean the end of Witty.

That's a big in for Scally always lacked some horsepower compared to Oats and Comanche IMO.

58 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

That's a big in for Scally always lacked some horsepower compared to Oats and Comanche IMO.

Agree... no arguing that Nico is one of the best boat drivers on the planet

And on other news....I will be entering my new multi in this years race..... as the forecast is now favorable 

Are you doing it singlehanded so that you can win that division as well?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Agree... no arguing that Nico is one of the best boat drivers on the planet

And on other news....I will be entering my new multi in this years race..... as the forecast is now favorable 

Yeah but will adding another helm, even one of the best, do them any good? Routing seems to be their shortfall not boatspeed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah but will adding another helm, even one of the best, do them any good? Routing seems to be their shortfall not boatspeed. 

Routing, Crew Work, Tactics all need to be improved IMO. If you were to swap crews on Scally and Oats I believe Scally would then win. 

34 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Routing, Crew Work, Tactics all need to be improved IMO. If you were to swap crews on Scally and Oats I believe Scally would then win. 

Lighter boat with more SA than WOXI. 

Crew work should be well ironed they have done some miles this year! 

It could easily go their (SW) way,  prob their best chance yet. 

28 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Lighter boat with more SA than WOXI. 

Maybe. More to boat speed though, than just SA and weight - hull shape, etc etc - more complicated than women

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Maybe. More to boat speed though, than just SA and weight - hull shape, etc etc - more complicated than women

True but when they have sailed next to each other in the ocean SW has plenty of boat speed. The TP for eg. 

Lets hope we get some more of this for the Hobart. 5 x 100's would be awesome to see..

Agree, Fantastic footage last year. For eg Comanches front boards!!  

& what of Langmen's rumoured purchase STP 65 Moneypenny??? 

14 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Agree, Fantastic footage last year. For eg Comanches front boards!!  

& what of Langmen's rumoured purchase STP 65 Moneypenny??? 

you mean Bad Pak , the former moneypenny ?

31 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

you mean Bad Pak , the former moneypenny ?

I'm not sure. Someone posted he bought the 65' Moneypenny. 

On 8/17/2018 at 11:54 AM, PIL66 said:

Not happening.

On 8/9/2018 at 1:18 PM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

On 8/16/2018 at 3:20 AM, SCANAS said:

I saw post 236, but it doesn't indicate where/from who that assumption/information comes from or what it is based on. 

On 8/16/2018 at 5:54 PM, PIL66 said:

How do you know this?

Ohh god... It's like a lot of headless chooks running around here....

Here is the source of the Witt/Nicholson team-up

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:31 PM, SCANAS said:

I'm not sure. Someone posted he bought the 65' Moneypenny. 

The STP 65 old badpak/Moneypenney was loaded on a truck yesterday and is headed to Australia

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hoppy said:

Ohh god... It's like a lot of headless chooks running around here....

Here is the source of the Witt/Nicholson team-up

Straight from Witty's mouth Nicho on board and some other good inclusions. Let's hope they can put some time on the water and get her up to speed?

^^^Thanks for this, Terra. Witty did confirm Nicho is now a member of the Scally crew as is Phil Harmer;  the Scally company has the 100 foot maxi that will be racing in the S2H; a 60 foot Tri now being delivered to their base in the Philippines, where he plans a few races;  still has as crew members of the Volvo team (Alex, Nipper and Parko) and are looking to add another boat through another investor. He and fiancee Kim have a Hong Kong company whose business is to provide deliveries of yachts in Asia and are particularly interested in owners who want to race in Asia during the Australian winter. They will provide RT transport of the boat, docking, etc. in Asian ports. When asked if he had a navigator for the Scally, Witty was a bit circumspect, saying "stay tuned", he had a couple ideas, commenting that the 3 best navigators in the world were on 100 footers that were in the above race (incl Juan Vila on Wild Oats, who Witty said was the best navigator in the world;  Stan Honey on Comanche,  Tom Addis on Black Jack),  leaving Scally's "choices a bit limited."  He also explained how SHKS hooked the marker in the last leg (in port race) of the Volvo. 

Didn't know where this vid should go...maybe a marker for those who erected a tombstone for Witty after Syd pulled up stumps ..then kissed on the dick ..and since then the kissing hasn't stopped.

• Like 1

Orma 60?  Not exactly cutting edge.  I'd of thought a MOD 70.  Mighty Merloe did alright in the Transpac last year though.

20 hours ago, southerncross said:

Orma 60?  Not exactly cutting edge.  I'd of thought a MOD 70.  Mighty Merloe did alright in the Transpac last year though.

It's the old Banque Populaire VII !

20 hours ago, southerncross said:

Different price bracket too.! Scallywag portfolio? Like that, a 100, a Voilvo 65 and now a Tri.....

14 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Different price bracket too.! Scallywag portfolio? Like that, a 100, a Voilvo 65 and now a Tri.....

Terra you forgot to add the AC dreaming bit.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 10:51 PM, despacio avenue said:

^^^Thanks for this, Terra. Witty did confirm Nicho is now a member of the Scally crew as is Phil Harmer;  the Scally company has the 100 foot maxi that will be racing in the S2H; a 60 foot Tri now being delivered to their base in the Philippines, where he plans a few races;  still has as crew members of the Volvo team (Alex, Nipper and Parko) and are looking to add another boat through another investor. He and fiancee Kim have a Hong Kong company whose business is to provide deliveries of yachts in Asia and are particularly interested in owners who want to race in Asia during the Australian winter. They will provide RT transport of the boat, docking, etc. in Asian ports. When asked if he had a navigator for the Scally, Witty was a bit circumspect, saying "stay tuned", he had a couple ideas, commenting that the 3 best navigators in the world were on 100 footers that were in the above race (incl Juan Vila on Wild Oats, who Witty said was the best navigator in the world;  Stan Honey on Comanche,  Tom Addis on Black Jack),  leaving Scally's "choices a bit limited."  He also explained how SHKS hooked the marker in the last leg (in port race) of the Volvo. 

Seems like he should get Pascal or Jean-Luc Nélias 

On 8/22/2018 at 10:36 AM, terrafirma said:

They parked the Volvo 65 and posted the keys back through the letterbox.  Witty and co have little urge to set foot on one of those again.

3 hours ago, ASP said:

Seems like he should get Pascal or Jean-Luc Nélias 

Jules Salter might be an option as well....

According to Scallywag's Facebook page, its Tri now in Subic Bay is indeed the refitted former Banque Populaire IV, ex Team Australia, ex Orma 60 which when sailing as the latter two were previously driven by Sean Langdon who is in the above video Jack posted, and crewed her to Subic Bay from HK.