bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

Recommended Posts

Why would you expect to find a race progress report in this thread? Don't you know where the tracker is? Or should I call it AIS, i'm a bit confused like Mark Richards....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from this mornings CYCA news

Quote

In other news, Triton is the latest yacht to finish the race. Owned by David Gotze and Michael Cranitch, the LC60’s crew includes Tony ‘Ace’ Ellis, who has just sailed his 51st Sydney Hobart, equalling Tony Cable’s record for the most races by an individual. Still at sea is LeeAnn Lynch’s Relish IV, with Bill Ratcliff sailing his 50th race.

And while Alive is waving the banner for Tasmania, spare a thought for fellow Tasmanian entry, 2 Unlimited. She was hit by a sunfish yesterday afternoon along the Tasmanian Coast and retired, making a total of seven retirements from the race. The Farr 40 recently purchased and modified for offshore racing by gun sailor, Greg ‘Enzo’ Prescott, was a solid bet for the overall win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 pages before the first sunfish report. Those guys are slipping. Wharro drops out and they lose the plot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I see Grace O'Malley could upset Couta's 3rd overall. 

Will conditions allow them to speed up? Looking at the tracker, it looks like the boats ahead of GOM are tacking into the wind, so Voodoo is possibly safe?

Couta/Voodoo is safe. Grace O’Malley had dropped down the order on the latest standings. The wind is NW blowing 15-20 knots and gusty. It will be a long beat up from Cape Raoul for the boats out there ATM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, savoir said:

33 pages before the first sunfish report. Those guys are slipping. Wharro drops out and they lose the plot.

I wonder if Patriots rudder damage was sunfish related. Perhaps Sportscar can say if the know the cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, us7070 said:

the simple explanation is that it was turned off because someone didn't read the SI's carefully...

there is no rule 69 issue here - relax!

 

 

Race being decided by a protest two years in a row, with the same boat being stripped, may well bemuse the sponsor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

Couta/Voodoo is safe. Grace O’Malley had dropped down the order on the latest standings. The wind is NW blowing 15-20 knots and gusty. It will be a long beat up from Cape Raoul for the boats out there ATM.

Yeah, I just went on the BOM's page. Doesn't look like any boat can threaten a top 10 position

GOM looks likely to win IRC3 but there  looks to be a close contest between Enterprise and Sail Exchange for 2nd. However, as E is up with GOM and SE is 24nm back. I assume SE will move ahead of E on corrected time and then round Tasman Island and drop back. So it's only close on paper.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, monosailor said:

Would have to suggest that it’s all but confirmed now for Alive IRC and ORCi double for 2018

and a 2nd for Voodoo

I noticed that WOX is way down in 14th. I wonder what it is about ORCi that really hammers them compared to IRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sledracr said:

Does that matter?  IF the rules say "must transmit", then... must transmit.  Whether they didn't transmit because of error or intent doesn't matter, either way they were not in compliance. 

Even moreso for "highly paid professionals".  they, above all, should be paying attention to the details of rules compliance. 

someone once told me "a professional is one who is committed to eliminating error and inefficiency in the pursuit of excellence - it has nothing to do with money".   I agree... even if accidental, this is a failure to *ensure* compliance.

 

It matters in the context of my post which was about them being called cheats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hoppy said:

and a 2nd for Voodoo

I noticed that WOX is way down in 14th. I wonder what it is about ORCi that really hammers them compared to IRC.

That's fascinating. 11hrs difference corrected between her and her sister ship under orci vs an hour and change under IRC. Fucking bizzare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TPG said:

Look at marine traffic during almost any race. Like clockwork you can see boats turn off AIS.

Difference here is that SIs require it to be on as transmitter and receiver for the duration of the race. First time for this requirement in a Hobart but its printed in the SIs plain as day.

other races don’t usually specify this requirement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, random said:

Just saw the news and I am pleasantly surprised about the protest.

Sailing needs to be kept as clean as possible.  The job the PC has should be relatively simple but the pressure on all concerned is something no one needs.

For something like this to happen two years in a row, it indicates a culture common to bully boys used to having the best toy in the sandpit, unable to deal with competition and not expecting to be held to the same standards as the other kids, surprised and indignant when they are.

MR's behavior when they were penalised last year was disgraceful, this year to claim it was their 10th LH win was also disgraceful and would have no doubt pissed-off all concerned at the organising authority in Hobart.  Let's see what the stupid fuk says this time.

Would love to hear his response if asked why did he say it wasn’t mandatory in the hearing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I wonder if Patriots rudder damage was sunfish related. Perhaps Sportscar can say if the know the cause.

Unknown cause at this stage. Assessor checking it out. Temporary rudder being installed today so Patriot can head up to Sydney for a new rudder to be fitted. Crew understandably very disappointed but in good spirits with several heading to Hobart by alternative transport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, hoppy said:

 

 

Leave the S2H thread to those of us who are interested in the boats who are sailing still 

Nobody denies you to say something about other boats. Carry on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoppy said:

For fuck sake, I just woke up hoping to see some race progress reports here and all I find is this AIS shit including a few from clueless morons who clearly have no idea about how AIS works on a boat in the real world.

Thanks to Jack for the one update post about Scana's progress and to Mid for trying to get this boring WOIX AIS process and the basics of AIS discussions posted elsewhere.

Please fuck off to this thread 

Leave the S2H thread to those of us who are interested in the boats who are sailing still 

Oh fuck off Hoppy with your holier than though thread broom, pull your head in. What do you always say to people in you're thread? If you don't like it nobody forcing you to read it.

Yo need to take a break, you're becoming a bit shrill like Random.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, hoppy said:

and a 2nd for Voodoo

I noticed that WOX is way down in 14th. I wonder what it is about ORCi that really hammers them compared to IRC.

Orci dont like oversized code zero. They get a really high handicap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maw said:

Most units have the facility provided for you.

Just provide any old switch, no power even required .

image.thumb.png.242f4cea6ab3ff12f1b0fa6b4c4de215.png

And this is how WO 11 gets off.

"So sorry, some muppet jammed a jacket into the locker where the AIS unit is and the switch wires, which were left bare, were pushed together. When we were told we were not transmitting we went and checked and found the problem, thats when our AIS got turned back on. We will take the installer out the back and shoot him for leaving the wires uncovered"

I wonder what they will re-label the AIS Tx on/off switch at the nav table to be, in order to make the above plausible?

(I have the same GME unit as in the picture, and did just leave the switch wires unconnected)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Se7en said:

And this is how WO 11 gets off.

"So sorry, some muppet jammed a jacket into the locker where the AIS unit is and the switch wires, which were left bare, were pushed together. When we were told we were not transmitting we went and checked and found the problem, thats when our AIS got turned back on. We will take the installer out the back and shoot him for leaving the wires uncovered"

I wonder what they will re-label the AIS Tx on/off switch at the nav table to be, in order to make the above plausible?

(I have the same GME unit as in the picture, and did just leave the switch wires unconnected)

the SI's and the special regs require that it work - an equipment problem does not absolve them

what might have made a difference, if there was an equipment problem, is to report it immediately upon finishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Maw said:

Yo need to take a break, you're becoming a bit shrill like Random.

Hahhahaaaaa

That's an insult to Randoms everywhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, us7070 said:

the SI's and the special regs require that it work - an equipment problem does not absolve them

what might have made a difference, if there was an equipment problem, is to report it immediately upon finishing

I agree completely that the SIs are unequivecal.

However, a plausible excuse changes it from cheating to an error. And they can further argue that they had no way of telling that they were not transmitting. Indeed, they might suggest that RC should have informed them of the issue to improve race safety?

With this approach you could see them getting off with a warning rather than DSQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Se7en said:

Indeed, they might suggest that RC should have informed them of the issue to improve race safety?

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

How many of those races have mandatory AIS transmit in the SI's?

The Pittwater to Paradise requires it for next year's race...

 

Quote

4.2.2. SR 4.09 (c): All boats shall carry an AIS Transponder. The Transponder shall be operational  (transmitting & receiving) for the duration of the race. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Se7en said:

I agree completely that the SIs are unequivecal.

However, a plausible excuse changes it from cheating to an error. And they can further argue that they had no way of telling that they were not transmitting. Indeed, they might suggest that RC should have informed them of the issue to improve race safety?

With this approach you could see them getting off with a warning rather than DSQ.

it's easy to check that you are transmitting AIS

i don't think they deserve a DSQ - time penalty is sufficient. the only question is should they loose first to finish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Se7en said:

However, a plausible excuse changes it from cheating to an error.

No one should be saying they cheated. It appears they didn't comply with the SI hence the protest. It doesn't matter if it was only an error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So will there be a penalty or a slap on the wrist? Ricoh's interview with regards to the matter has proven once again he hates rules. That being said he has beaten Comanche over the line in the last 2 races. The Big Indian's re-sale value has been diminished. Hope Jim is in it for the long haul. Whilst the Derwent is part of the race he is going to need to get there 10-15 miles ahead of Oats to stop it happening again

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Se7en said:

And this is how WO 11 gets off.

"So sorry, some muppet jammed a jacket into the locker where the AIS unit is and the switch wires, which were left bare, were pushed together. When we were told we were not transmitting we went and checked and found the problem, thats when our AIS got turned back on. We will take the installer out the back and shoot him for leaving the wires uncovered"

I wonder what they will re-label the AIS Tx on/off switch at the nav table to be, in order to make the above plausible?

(I have the same GME unit as in the picture, and did just leave the switch wires unconnected)

In that case it will appear in their post race declaration, no problem.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

So will there be a penalty or a slap on the wrist? Ricoh's interview with regards to the matter has proven once again he hates rules. That being said he has beaten Comanche over the line in the last 2 races. The Big Indian's re-sale value has been diminished. Hope Jim is in it for the long haul. Whilst the Derwent is part of the race he is going to need to get there 10-15 miles ahead of Oats to stop it happening again

 

they were behind before the derwent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TPG said:

They have radar, they have the proper compass to have marpa overlay. You can't tell me you haven't used it before to look at what another boat is doing.

Really. When did that go on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's never a good time to be caught cheating.
Couple that with the reported arrogance of the "Red Team" around the dock and the skippers idiotic reply to reporters and suddenly being in Austrailia, right now is possibly the worse place to be.

Ring any bells cricket lovers ??

Australia is feeling really sore at the moment, and still reeling after the cheating scandal coupled with the reported arrogance and general "we dont give a shit" that their National Cricket team captain and a number of senior team mates have been found guilty of.
They are a proud nation and another arrogant cheat is exactly what they won't tollerate right now and the press may well have a field day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TPG said:

That would require a sat based tracker, not AIS 

 

6 hours ago, noaano said:

Or satellite AIS maybe? Like the one linked, http://www.bigoceandata.com/? Or Spire?

Btw Marinetraffic has satellite AIS also, for money?

Lot of ignorance on this subject so maybe a helpful interlude. AIS transmissions are received direct by a low orbit geostationary satellite. No special gear required. VHF transmission is restricted to line of sight so to curvature of the earth. Into space no such restriction except straight line distance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, paps49 said:

In that case it will appear in their post race declaration, no problem.

It wouldnt, if they didnt know about it at the time of filling out the declaration.

The act innocent approach is to say thet they thought it was all working fine, hence no mention in the declaration. Then BJ makes a comment, so the WO 11 nav goes off to check, and after a while finds the problem and corrects it. Hence AIS comes back on.

MR meanwhile is completely oblivious and makes a dumb comment because he hasnt read the SIs and trusts the navigator to have done so. It was only after the interview that the navigator lets him know what has happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Se7en said:

It wouldnt, if they didnt know about it at the time of filling out the declaration.

The act innocent approach is to say thet they thought it was all working fine, hence no mention in the declaration. Then BJ makes a comment, so the WO 11 nav goes off to check, and after a while finds the problem and corrects it. Hence AIS comes back on.

MR meanwhile is completely oblivious and makes a dumb comment because he hasnt read the SIs and trusts the navigator to have done so. It was only after the interview that the navigator lets him know what has happened.

He should be flicked for not reading the SI's then, it's in his job description as Skipper.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, us7070 said:

it's easy to check that you are transmitting AIS

I have the GME unit set up as a black box which just outputs a nmea feed to a laptop. So no ability to change settings on the fly. Nor can i see any lights on the unit as it is out of sight.

I have only checked AIS by the simple expedient of calling another boat to ask if they can see me... perhaps not something Id do in a race. It never occured to me to use any online source to check while on the boat, which is stupid of me as I do it all the time at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mad said:

What happens for all the betting companies that have paid out on a WOXI win

They hope the punter hasn't turned his ankle AIS off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Se7en said:

I have the GME unit set up as a black box which just outputs a nmea feed to a laptop. So no ability to change settings on the fly. Nor can i see any lights on the unit as it is out of sight.

I have only checked AIS by the simple expedient of calling another boat to ask if they can see me... perhaps not something Id do in a race.

No one carries a mobile phone?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just spent two hours trying to read faster than you blokes can write.

Thank Christ someone started a new thread.

It's like running up the down escalator.

Plenty of wind here now, NW gusting forties.

I see Tasman Island had NW gusting 66 knots earlier.

That must be fun around Cape Raoul.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, paps49 said:

He should be flicked for not reading the SI's then, it's in his job description as Skipper.

No argument from me on that. At best he is a bit arrogant and incompetant, and gets let off with a warning. At worst it was deliberate cheating, boat is DSQ and MR faces a 69 hearing.

Do you think MR will fall on his sword to try and spare any penalty for the boat?

I feel for the crew, being on a motorboat with a skipper who is either incompetant or a cheat. Hard to keep your head high at shippies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, random said:

Just saw the news and I am pleasantly surprised about the protest.

Sailing needs to be kept as clean as possible.  The job the PC has should be relatively simple but the pressure on all concerned is something no one needs.

For something like this to happen two years in a row, it indicates a culture common to bully boys used to having the best toy in the sandpit, unable to deal with competition and not expecting to be held to the same standards as the other kids, surprised and indignant when they are.

MR's behavior when they were penalised last year was disgraceful, this year to claim it was their 10th LH win was also disgraceful and would have no doubt pissed-off all concerned at the organising authority in Hobart.  Let's see what the stupid fuk says this time.

Is this the same Random? And I don't mean to sound sarcastic or condescending mate. 

Brilliantly put. Sailing does indeed need to be as clean as possible or we risk running into the same crap as soccer's diving, cycling's drug reputation, athletics doping and the varied troubles of so many other sports.

When asked 'why sailing' I always used to say "Because the right sort of people go sailing!" - And in the main that is still the case but when people break rules and then are arrogant in their attitude when challenged it needs to be brought to a solid and rapid halt.

Of course we still have the hearing to come but it WAS in the SI's. I don't know about anyone else but whether competing, umpiring or judging the second thing I always do is read the SIs (1st thing is read the NoR).

Those are the basic RULES of the regatta along with the RRS and competitors should be expected - by their fellow competitors as well as the OA - to follow them all.

Anyway we should know not too long after 1300 Aussie time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another way I've checked the quality of the cabling and antenna (which confirms in parallel AIS can get out) is by using DSC on the VHF to query other boats

AS US said, it's as simple as removing the filter as a go to solution, and there are more and more ways to check your signal is going out the more you think about it..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Se7en said:

No argument from me on that. At best he is a bit arrogant and incompetant, and gets let off with a warning. At worst it was deliberate cheating, boat is DSQ and MR faces a 69 hearing.

Do you think MR will fall on his sword to try and spare any penalty for the boat?

I feel for the crew, being on a motorboat with a skipper who is either incompetant or a cheat. Hard to keep your head high at shippies.

As I said in the other thread Richo would do his reputation a power of good if he offered up a mea culpa at 1300 but I'm not holding my breath.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Is this the same Random? And I don't mean to sound sarcastic or condescending mate. 

Brilliantly put. Sailing does indeed need to be as clean as possible or we risk running into the same crap as soccer's diving, cycling's drug reputation, athletics doping and the varied troubles of so many other sports.

 

 

 

 

I know right!

I hit the like button instinctively  but thankfully my cup was empty!!

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this has been already noted but I do find it weird that on MarineTraffic (a web based AIS tracker), WOXI was shown a last known position early this morning as in Sydney harbour. And the time of the last known position....2018-12-26 11:08

Later this morning It got an update from Hobart 2018-12-29 09:49...makes me think the jury is testing it or someone finally fixed it.

 

Timing is a bit sus though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Is this the same Random? And I don't mean to sound sarcastic or condescending mate. 

Brilliantly put. Sailing does indeed need to be as clean as possible or we risk running into the same crap as soccer's diving, cycling's drug reputation, athletics doping and the varied troubles of so many other sports.

When asked 'why sailing' I always used to say "Because the right sort of people go sailing!" - And in the main that is still the case but when people break rules and then are arrogant in their attitude when challenged it needs to be brought to a solid and rapid halt.

Of course we still have the hearing to come but it WAS in the SI's. I don't know about anyone else but whether competing, umpiring or judging the second thing I always do is read the SIs (1st thing is read the NoR).

Those are the basic RULES of the regatta along with the RRS and competitors should be expected - by their fellow competitors as well as the OA - to follow them all.

Anyway we should know not too long after 1300 Aussie time.

 

Random and BJ are both from Queensland ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Se7en said:

No argument from me on that. At best he is a bit arrogant and incompetant, and gets let off with a warning. At worst it was deliberate cheating, boat is DSQ and MR faces a 69 hearing.

Do you think MR will fall on his sword to try and spare any penalty for the boat?

I feel for the crew, being on a motorboat with a skipper who is either incompetant or a cheat. Hard to keep your head high at shippies.

That's not the way protest hearings work - or at least should work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PITA said:

Not sure it's a comparable sitch...?  Not a fan of either but wasn't at least one a gear failure?

But, anyhoo - I don't agree with it... but don't they allow them to go black in the VOR to gain tactical advantage?  Seem to remember that when I was following SCA.

Anyway, I'm off for a QLS tomorrow with blokes who got a helicopter ride home 20 years ago so I doubt anyone will be feeling sympathetic if there's a protest where there's the possibility of a safety issue.

Hi PITA

Something niggled at me overnight and I went back to check the VOR SIs for the latest race.

SIs 27.11 States "The AIS shall remain powered on and transmitting at all times when Racing."

When a boat "went stealth" it was their 6 hourly update on the VOR Website that wasn't made public, not their AIS. 

So my original statement was correct that the VOR AIS was ALWAYS ON!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, axolotl said:

I strongly suggest not testing transmit power using an SWR meter without having an antenna (or dummy load) connected.  It's quite possible you'll  damage the device.

I would also strongly suggest no one use my couple of lines in post as instructions for testing VHF power loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Christian said:

That's not the way protest hearings work - or at least should work

True, there has to be a hearing.  If someone admits to the foul that only changes how long the hearing might go on for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Random and BJ are both from Queensland ...

So you think that matters?

I have met Squark a few times but my home state has got nothing to do with it.

I just hate cheats.  Particularly repeat cheats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Se7en said:

I have the GME unit set up as a black box which just outputs a nmea feed to a laptop. So no ability to change settings on the fly. Nor can i see any lights on the unit as it is out of sight.

I have only checked AIS by the simple expedient of calling another boat to ask if they can see me... perhaps not something Id do in a race. It never occured to me to use any online source to check while on the boat, which is stupid of me as I do it all the time at home.

as i have said elsewhere - on your boat, the display of your own AIS icon on your chartplotter or nav computer is turned off by an MMSI filter.

you can turn off that filter.., and your AIS icon will be displayed.., and you will know that you are transmitting AIS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

 

Lot of ignorance on this subject so maybe a helpful interlude. AIS transmissions are received direct by a low orbit geostationary satellite. No special gear required. VHF transmission is restricted to line of sight so to curvature of the earth. Into space no such restriction except straight line distance.

Just to add on this - Marine Traffic will show positions sourced both from land stations and from satellites, but you only get the satellite data if you buy their super duper subscription. Plus I have seen instances where their updates on land based sources is less than fresh. 

 

I would point at Just a Skosh's data source as being much better 

 

As an aside, the Pineapple Cup has it as optional now, as does Bermuda 1-2.  The RdR had it as required and everybody was transmitting. The RC would have time penalized the crap out of a bn out that did not. Oh, and they required that we leave our AIS turned on at the dock on Saint Malo for a day of two before the start so they could validate its function. Jo excuses. 

When the SIs have it as optional, I typically keep it TX in bad weather, low viz, and / or high traffic areas, as well as when shorthanded and sleeping. The rest of the time the TX is off. If the race requires it, then it is TX all the time. 

As for another comment about commercial traffic filtering out B signals,  that has not been my experience at all. 

In my opinion, it should be a hefty time penalty. And a Rule 69 flick for skipper and navigator if it can be proven it was actual premeditated cheating. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the odd chance that you find this post among these boring AIS posts..

Couta, congrats to you and the Voodoo team for your 3rd overall, 1st in IRC 1, 2nd in ORCi and 1st in ORCi 2.....

You were clearly spot on choosing to go for a 60+ boat with the 60's dominating the results.

Just a shame that Hugh chose to represent ORCV rather than RMYS like he did with the C12 Voodoo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zoe Taylor continues to impress me, but I'm wondering if Sail Exchange may have an issue? I wouldn't have picked this big a delta between the two Cookson's, unless of course it was lap of the gods stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, us7070 said:

you can turn off that filter.., and your AIS icon will be displayed.., and you will know that you are transmitting AIS

To be clear, that may show that your AIS TX is enabled but it doesn't mean that it is working properly, does it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maw said:

Zoe Taylor continues to impress me, but I'm wondering if Sail Exchange may have an issue? I wouldn't have picked this big a delta between the two Cookson's, unless of course it was lap of the gods stuff.

Both Cookies were racing in different water for most of the race, so Sail Exchange probably made a routing decision that they lucked out with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who was it pages back trying to clown Couta & Co for their strategy in going with the RP63 for the Voodoo program?

Crew did an amazing job, particularly given they haven't had the boat for long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, weightless said:

To be clear, that may show that your AIS TX is enabled but it doesn't mean that it is working properly, does it? 

no - Tx could be on but not functioning

given that it was functioning right before the race.., and that they were receiving the whole race.., it seems more likely that Tx got turned off, than that Tx malfunctioned.

i'm not sure, b ut i have read that Tx was functioning after the race, which would seem to be nearly conclusive evidence that it wasn't a malfunction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, us7070 said:

you can turn off that filter.., and your AIS icon will be displayed.., and you will know that you are transmitting AIS

I understand this.

I was just commenting that in my particular installation, control of the AIS is via a USB connection, which is not connected by default. So I have no ability to change config on the fly as you suggest. Hence the use of the term 'black box AIS'. I have also not connected a tx on/off switch as I have no plans to cruise past Somalia.

I need to remove cabinetry to get to my AIS unit, which is a bit annoying. Hence I just check with other boats that it is working. Or will now go online since that has been correctly pointed out as easier.

(That is supposed to be the standard way to set up a GME AIS, as there is an issue with leaving the ground in the USB connection connected to ship ground via a PC.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Se7en said:

I understand this.

I was just commenting that in my particular installation, control of the AIS is via a USB connection, which is not connected by default. So I have no ability to change config on the fly as you suggest. Hence the use of the term 'black box AIS'. I have also not connected a tx on/off switch as I have no plans to cruise past Somalia.

I need to remove cabinetry to get to my AIS unit, which is a bit annoying. Hence I just check with other boats that it is working. Or will now go online since that has been correctly pointed out as easier.

(That is supposed to be the standard way to set up a GME AIS, as there is an issue with leaving the ground in the USB connection connected to ship ground via a PC.)

i get it...

i don't know the particulars of your setup.. but if, like a lot of boats, you have navico AIS and a gofree (wifi 1)wifi unit, you can make a wifi websocket connection to the AIS and configure it with a web browser, without the usb cable. i'm sure other hardware works too for that.., but that's the gear i have used

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Xmas & New Year to you RM. You recovered and got the boat home?

And to you, Jack. 

 

Fully recovered and buried in the day job. The boat is sitting in Key West, waiting for the Pineapple Cup in late January. I have a short list of things to do,  headed down there in a week or two for a couple of days to do some sorting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From FB

Quote

On arrival into Constitution Dock, crews reported up to 48 knots of wind as they sailed across Storm Bay this morning in the #RolexSydneyHobart

48968180_1841427595984248_80016127721125

48893671_1841427572650917_82052796789072

49148022_1841427599317581_92087236299849

 

49001750_1841427725984235_91181159948862

 

49612691_1841427775984230_25388889912566

 

49056746_1841427755984232_18340359554853

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 years in a row, WOXI either disregards or does not know the rules.  If you recall, a few years ago in rough weather in the Hobart, WOXI was speaking to a helicopter regarding safety and WOXI asked "what sail does the boat ahead have up"?   There was an inquiry and the story was that the WOXI radio person was a sailmaker concerned about his customer and his sail."

A few years before that when they used SSB radios for the check in at Eden, there was another issue with WOXI not communicating.    So this makes one ponder...…...

WHAT OTHER RULES HAX WOXI BREACHED OVER THE YEARS THAT WERE NEVER CAUGHT????

Here in So Cal, we have a race called the Islands Race.   RC had same requirement on AIS and the boat that finished first was not transmitting at a critical time of the race in the lee of San Clemente Island.  They were protested and lost.  DSQ.   Should be same result in SH race.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RealEstateBroker said:

2 years in a row, WOXI either disregards or does not know the rules.  If you recall, a few years ago in rough weather in the Hobart, WOXI was speaking to a helicopter regarding safety and WOXI asked "what sail does the boat ahead have up"?   There was an inquiry and the story was that the WOXI radio person was a sailmaker concerned about his customer and his sail."

A few years before that when they used SSB radios for the check in at Eden, there was another issue with WOXI not communicating.    So this makes one ponder...…...

WHAT OTHER RULES HAX WOXI BREACHED OVER THE YEARS THAT WERE NEVER CAUGHT????

Here in So Cal, we have a race called the Islands Race.   RC had same requirement on AIS and the boat that finished first was not transmitting at a critical time of the race in the lee of San Clemente Island.  They were protested and lost.  DSQ.   Should be same result in SH race.

The WOIX protest thread

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hoppy said:

from this mornings CYCA news

 

 

3 hours ago, hoppy said:
  Quote

In other news, Triton is the latest yacht to finish the race. Owned by David Gotze and Michael Cranitch, the LC60’s crew includes Tony ‘Ace’ Ellis, who has just sailed his 51st Sydney Hobart, equalling Tony Cable’s record for the most races by an individual. Still at sea is LeeAnn Lynch’s Relish IV, with Bill Ratcliff sailing his 50th race.

And while Alive is waving the banner for Tasmania, spare a thought for fellow Tasmanian entry, 2 Unlimited. She was hit by a sunfish yesterday afternoon along the Tasmanian Coast and retired, making a total of seven retirements from the race. The Farr 40 recently purchased and modified for offshore racing by gun sailor, Greg ‘Enzo’ Prescott, was a solid bet for the overall win.

Bullshit.  

"Man bites Dog".

In other news, reports just in confirm that WOXI was struck by malicious Sunfish with Indian tattoo, which caused the AIS to malfunction. Richards, receives full pardon and new 100 footer for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the pics @hoppy

I don't think you are going to eliminate WOXI protest talk from the thread though..  As much a part of the race as the smaller boats much as I enjoy following, reading of and seeing pics of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another crappy phone photo. A couple of boats getting into the flukey stuff off Taroona where SW meets NW.

20181229_124412.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrea Francolini Photography

 

49046455_2055927207777399_67169568895962

 

48412624_2055927267777393_80846524729723

 

49068173_2055927307777389_26027179004018

 

49077836_2055927344444052_54476769814097

 

48426330_2055927227777397_59889022257437

 

48424960_2055927217777398_28038291813962

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant find photos of Voodoo finishing. Bit of a shame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went onto the ABC News website.  Checked the Sport tab to see the following;

image.png.1a8c21eb10a135f042b885de4f7abe43.png

Ahhh Uhummmmmmm  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what happened with the First 47.7 as it's trailing the fleet 15 nm behind Gun Runner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, random said:

Just went onto the ABC News website.  Checked the Sport tab to see the following;

image.png.1a8c21eb10a135f042b885de4f7abe43.png

Ahhh Uhummmmmmm  

On the front page 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-28/protest-lodged-against-wild-oats-xi-sydney-to-hobart/10672796

Sports page

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-28/protest-lodged-against-wild-oats-xi-sydney-to-hobart/10672796?section=sport

Try harder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Oh, so you find news on other pages?  What a fucking Legend.

The sports categories are there for you anytime you want to check.

Sailing ain't on it.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comanche heading home, just hoisted a full main, which is brave looking south!

20181229_131303.jpg

20181229_131456.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I wonder what happened with the First 47.7 as it's trailing the fleet 15 nm behind Gun Runner?

Have a look at their track, it almost looks like a man overboard course.

Chutzpah first little boat, (can't believe 40's are now little boats). Congratulations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Comanche heading home, just hoisted a full main, which is brave looking south!

20181229_131303.jpg

20181229_131456.jpg

Even this is a record for a yacht going home so early with half the fleet still to finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's a beast,  the sound of the lines on winches creaking can be heard a mile upwind!

20181229_131851.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impossible to see,  but they've gone for a reef. She'll have great conditions once she's around the Pot in about 10m.

20181229_132525.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RealEstateBroker said:

A few years before that when they used SSB radios for the check in at Eden, there was another issue with WOXI not communicating.

No when they used SSB radios for check in. Still do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking little boats, which was the first boat home which did not have the motor going the whole way to keep the keel and/or winches moving?  Seems as though if it is easy to bump a switch to turn off the AIS is would also be easy to bump the switch which engages the propeller. Not sailing.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites