bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

2 minutes ago, Trim On said:

Pittwater Coffs race done also?

That rings a bell, possibly she also set the quickest time between Sydney and Hobart (but in reverse) under sail, that stood until Langman's trimaran took the title.

Everyone stayed for the  King of the Derwent, then there was a regatta at Nubeena (just around from Port Arthur), then the Crayfish Cup at Triabunna (inside Maria Island)... those were the days, well, so I've heard - I'd have just been a kid when those events begun to die.

and the Hobart Auckland race.

Did the Crayfish Cup one year and left with 72 dozen Cascade beer onboard a one tonner.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Everyone stayed for the  King of the Derwent, then there was a regatta at Nubeena (just around from Port Arthur), then the Crayfish Cup at Triabunna (inside Maria Island)... those were the days, well, so I've heard - I'd have just been a kid when those events begun to die.

We used to get the IOR maxis loaded with kids just burning around the Derwent, many of those kids sail today but Langman was the last big boat to do that quite a few years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SloopJohnB said:

Did the Crayfish Cup one year and left with 72 dozen Cascade beer onboard a one tonner.

Wasn't Bacardi, was it? Heard they left with a ton of beer, three up plus two female backpackers and still ran out half way home. Think they may even hada a stop-opver to replenish... so the story goes.

LoL

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I don't see that, but the tracker does show her go into Eden. So that makes sense.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Bene 47 Chancellor, not Calypso, owned by Flying Fish, who retired and went to Eden.

Maybe dropped some seasick punters off, and finishing the commitment to others.

35 minutes ago, Phil S said:

Talking little boats, which was the first boat home which did not have the motor going the whole way to keep the keel and/or winches moving?  Seems as though if it is easy to bump a switch to turn off the AIS is would also be easy to bump the switch which engages the propeller. Not sailing.

Great post LOL!

5 minutes ago, bayboy said:

We used to get the IOR maxis loaded with kids just burning around the Derwent, many of those kids sail today but Langman was the last big boat to do that quite a few years ago.

Langman also had a heap of kids aboard that day from memory, and destroyed most of his sails in a SW gale, finished under trysail and storm jib.

1 minute ago, ALL@SEA said:

Langman also had a heap of kids aboard that day from memory, and destroyed most of his sails in a SW gale, finished under trysail and storm jib.

No, he started and finished under those sails. It was blowing 30 and he didn't want to risk the kids and other passengers. Most were from the Huon Yacht Club. Loyal sailed under HYC flag that year. Langman owned the pub at Kermandie (Port Huon).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Phil S said:

Talking little boats, which was the first boat home which did not have the motor going the whole way to keep the keel and/or winches moving?  Seems as though if it is easy to bump a switch to turn off the AIS is would also be easy to bump the switch which engages the propeller. Not sailing.

Was it Couta on Voodoo or was Prospector a fixed keel?

Fuck... it is the holidays over here. Is there a condensed version available? Can someone please condense the last 10 pages into a few sentences? Oats may have fucked up. Skip condemned them, like "so?". Arrogant? Fuck.. I'm lost. Help appreciated. FUs accepted. 

9 hours ago, TPG said:

You demanded that all data be in expedition. Clearly you don't have all of it.

So back on topic and not "your particular data" the fact remains Ricko has made a couple colossally stupid statements two years in a row. Not sure even the old man's prior blessings will keep him employed with the Oatleys. He's doing just fine looking pretty in his Nantucket reds schtooping for Palm Beach Yachts though. Most if not all people who are shopping for those couldn't give a shit about a sailboat race.

You are an arse clown. Most OB owners I know also own race boats.

Well still a race on and the grand old dame Kialoa 2 stuck in the middle of storm bay but winds have changed a bit not so strong now

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

Protest dismissed.  WOXI walks.  See other thread

Which other thread for those of us who can't be arsed trawling through pages above here...

Grace O Malley only just shy of finishing, currently leading in IRC3, congrats to Zoe and crew for a well sailed race .

30 minutes ago, Mad Mac said:

It was a bit obscure. :lol:

Not really. Protest was dismissed by PC. For a Protest to be heard it had to be lodged by the competitor, not RC protesting in response to competitor having a cry post race on national TV. Those are the rules. The question of whether WOXI infringed or not was never heard and determined.

9 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Any other podium boats have AIS issues besides the super-cheater class?  A 4 th placer might feel justified in protesting them all. 

Nah as they know Oats was the true winner, but Kialoa still cuts a fine sight.....

3 hours ago, SC65 said:

Anyone noticed that circle Chancellor sailed on the tracker? MOB?

Standby for Calypso? They seem to have retired at port on PHS with steering issues. If so they are wearing their undies on the outside.

Mark R needs to take lessons from his counterpart Mark on BJ. Classy response. 

• Like 1

Mathematically there are still 3 boats on the water that could knock Alive off the top, Gun Runner, Komatsu Azzurro & Mark Twain. It's not going to happen but I guess they gave to wait until 4am tomorrow to announce Alive as the official winner.

IRC4 is still totally up for grabs...

How accurate are the positions given in the Rolex website “standings/lite”  ?

I assume they are the same as from tracker website ?

4 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Probably glanced at a reference while catchup reading three pages of occasionally irreverant comment...  You  get that when busy with a life outside the interweb...

4 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Maybe this will take the edge off the line honours side of it and people will start to follow the real race again. 

11 hours ago, GBR562 said:

It's never a good time to be caught cheating.
Couple that with the reported arrogance of the "Red Team" around the dock and the skippers idiotic reply to reporters and suddenly being in Austrailia, right now is possibly the worse place to be.

Ring any bells cricket lovers ??

Australia is feeling really sore at the moment, and still reeling after the cheating scandal coupled with the reported arrogance and general "we dont give a shit" that their National Cricket team captain and a number of senior team mates have been found guilty of.
They are a proud nation and another arrogant cheat is exactly what they won't tollerate right now and the press may well have a field day.

Fuck off and have a warm beer you sad, shower dodging fuck.

34 minutes ago, VOA said:

Nah mate. The viewing public only understands line honours. 

Good point, stupid of me to think otherwise. 

11 hours ago, GBR562 said:

It's never a good time to be caught cheating.
Couple that with the reported arrogance of the "Red Team" around the dock and the skippers idiotic reply to reporters and suddenly being in Austrailia, right now is possibly the worse place to be.

Ring any bells cricket lovers ??

Australia is feeling really sore at the moment, and still reeling after the cheating scandal coupled with the reported arrogance and general "we dont give a shit" that their National Cricket team captain and a number of senior team mates have been found guilty of.
They are a proud nation and another arrogant cheat is exactly what they won't tollerate right now and the press may well have a field day.

I really hope so, but what press?

All over the world including Australia, you can by a story, or stop one.  Journos have to be careful if they want a job.

40 minutes ago, VOA said:

Nah mate. The viewing public only understands line honours. 

5 minutes ago, mad said:

Good point, stupid of me to think otherwise. 

For some stupid reason, I thought that people on a sailing forum would be interested in more than just the LH battle. It seems i was wrong.

Channel 7 was correct to mostly focus on the maxi's with the occasional references to the other boats in the first start line. 99% of the general public and 99% of sailing interested person (based on SA) are only interested in the LH race.

Us 1%ers just need to live with the poor TV and LH focused threads.

And in latest news, someone mentioned a couple of days ago. wether Scanas on Trumpcard would get in front of Midnight Rambler, they were about 50 miles apart on longditude.

They are now between Tasman Is. & Cape Raoul, with Trumpcard holding a 1.5 mile lead, but 2.2 knots slower, will they be able to find something in the tank to hold off M.R. or will Psaltis and his wily old crew and years of experience, catch him??

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 2:08 PM, Spoonie said:

Oats’s annual budget was discussed at a talk as being about $3-4m a year

So for about 6- 8 annual events, it’s $500k AUS each. 

Given the last two SH, one wonders how many of the others are tainted as well ? 

Seems this once respected program  has a recent problem of poor sportsmanship, or pesky bad decisions. 

For prodessionals, that’s a sad decline,  for the owners its a sequence of regrettable denigrating experiences  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rail Meat said:

As for another comment about commercial traffic filtering out B signals,  that has not been my experience at all.

It is done all the time, if not before then right after the 100th CPA alarm from small craft passing you doing 30 kts closer than would be deemed safe (for ships).

Furuno_2117_radar_screen_courtesy_SetSai

GREAT RACE ..GREAT MEMORIES

@SCANASoff Cape Raoul so should finish before daybreak ahead of some lighter plastic boats in same class. I encourage everyone to go look at their Buffalo track. A ballsy move for a ploughing shitter that got them to nearly single digits at one stage. Hats off.

All the Podiums look now done and dusted. 

Apart from feeling pretty chuffed for my RP trifecta prediction (Alives IRC and ORCi a standout), great to see Privateer a 50' get #3 in IRC Div 0 ahead of all the 100's and 60's bar two to reward them for their huge effort in a big boat race and journey a long way from home. @Couta and the Voodoo lads #3 overall and #1 in Div1 should not be discounted as just big boat as they must have worked their rings off. They had lots of snakes and ladders to get that, where they luckily got a ladder at the end and Ichi got a snake.

Apart from the big dick bonfire a superb race that will leave some great memories. 

49 minutes ago, hoppy said:

For some stupid reason, I thought that people on a sailing forum would be interested in more than just the LH battle. It seems i was wrong.

Channel 7 was correct to mostly focus on the maxi's with the occasional references to the other boats in the first start line. 99% of the general public and 99% of sailing interested person (based on SA) are only interested in the LH race.

Us 1%ers just need to live with the poor TV and LH focused threads.

Despite the controversy, it was a great race on many levels.  Close results across almost every division with not much greater than 60mins separating any 1st and 2nd placing. Not to mention the strong results by WOX and Grace O’Malley, putting 2 female skippers in the top 10 overall, with obviously WOX being an all female crew.

The sport is alive and well. Alas, if only WOXI, BJ and RC knew the rules and how to conduct themselves accordingly, the sport would be better for it. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Grinning Ape said:

The sport is alive and well. Alas, if only WOXI, BJ and RC knew the rules and how to conduct themselves accordingly, the sport would be better for it. 

I would wish the race to ban motorsailing and only allow using manual powered winches and hydraulics. Maybe allow battery power like upcoming AC to ease the start, but no fumes is the future.

3 hours ago, noaano said:

It is done all the time, if not before then right after the 100th CPA alarm from small craft passing you doing 30 kts closer than would be deemed safe (for ships).

Furuno_2117_radar_screen_courtesy_SetSai

I had no doubt that it was possible. I only said that I have not seen it in my experience. Which is admittedly mostly offshore and where small pleasure boats going 30 knots (?!) are rare. 

15 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

That’s the dimensions of the owners wallet

Or the size of his cock .......................................... in his own mind

2 hours ago, noaano said:

I would wish the race to ban motorsailing and only allow using manual powered winches and hydraulics. Maybe allow battery power like upcoming AC to ease the start, but no fumes is the future.

I wish they'd ban whining but we can't all have what we want, can we?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, noaano said:

Like the S2H compares to a AC pond race lasting the time it takes to eat lunch? Have you ever been on a powered boat and a manual powered boat above 60 to come up with this drivel'?? Do you have any have any concept of the loads involved and therefore consumed energy and with nothing that stretches either from sailcloth to cordage to reduce loads/energy? What do you think drives the hydraulics or charges the stored battery energy from if no diesel??? fucking low carbon emission fairy dust?? Adding crew to compensate for no stored power probably puts more damaging methane emissions into the atmosphere by them farting on freeze dried than their short crewed diesel powered cousins. And what are they sitting on? A carbon fibre monster made nearly entirely of yucky of fossil fuels that you ignore? Where in the fuck do you people come from?  

53 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Like the S2H compares to a AC pond race lasting the time it takes to eat lunch?

Like for example the Transatlantic compares to a S2H pond race lasting the time it takes to digest lunch?

It (the record) is actually currently held by a boat actually quite similar to ones that raced on S2H, and yes using only manual powered winches and hydraulics. The same boat might even have a chance on S2H, who knows. Btw it took a little longer than this couple hundred mile sprint, over five and half days in fact.

Here, no diesel fumes in sight:

IMG_3630.jpg

And the guys farting methane (is it many more than normal S2H?):

IMG_36741.jpg

Clearly a race about one fifth the distance should be doable, yes? Even with some extra tacking and gybing...

25 minutes ago, noaano said:

Here, no diesel fumes in sight

Wrong. Their diesel engine ran 24/7 to drive keel and other hydraulics. Winches only are manual. Your next desktop idea is what??

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

A carbon fibre monster made nearly entirely of yucky of fossil fuels that you ignore? 

Carbon sequestration seems to be working after all!

37 minutes ago, noaano said:

Like for example the Transatlantic compares to a S2H pond race lasting the time it takes to digest lunch?

It (the record) is actually currently held by a boat actually quite similar to ones that raced on S2H, and yes using only manual powered winches and hydraulics. The same boat might even have a chance on S2H, who knows. Btw it took a little longer than this couple hundred mile sprint, over five and half days in fact.

Here, no diesel fumes in sight:

IMG_3630.jpg

And the guys farting methane (is it many more than normal S2H?):

IMG_36741.jpg

Clearly a race about one fifth the distance should be doable, yes? Even with some extra tacking and gybing...

Oh dear, I don’t think this is going to end well. :P

Mr Sparrow to the white courtesy phone please? :lol:

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/boat/42_The-Engine.html

The Engine

We know what you’re thinking – if this is a sailboat race, then why do the boats need an engine? 

m101345_crop169014_1024x576_proportional © Amalia Infante / Volvo Ocean Race

Well, although the boats don’t use the engines in racing (it’s prohibited), they are an essential part of life on board – and they need to be pretty sturdy, able to withstand extreme speeds and violent motions more often associated with military aircrafts than sailboats.

The 2017-18 edition is the sixth race with Volvo Penta as official engine supplier, and in the Volvo Penta D2-75 with S-drive, each teams goes to sea knowing that their Volvo Ocean 65 is equipped with the best in the business.

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wrong. Their diesel engine ran 24/7 to drive keel and other hydraulics. Winches only are manual. Your next desktop idea is what??

Well I was obviously not onboard. All news I read state:

The boat is sailing with only 17 crew and with all manual powered winches and hydraulics for this record attempt

I really don't know. Please enlighten us, good to learn new things every day.

Whatever their config was, does not make it impossible to sail a 100 footer fully in manual mode. More work for sure, but more work means more room for heroism/mistakes and better racing I thinks.

And you're right, I have never sailed one so this is just my speculation. Closest was a 85ft ancient old Maxi, and that certainly was fully manual and a joy to sail.

10 minutes ago, noaano said:

I really don't know. Please enlighten us, good to learn new things every day

As I said

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Their diesel engine ran 24/7 to drive keel and other hydraulics. Winches only are manual.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

As I said

Don't keep us in suspense, link us to a source stating so and give us a few minutes of interesting reading!

I really don't have any more information than the quite many news pieces stating otherwise.

6 minutes ago, noaano said:

Don't keep us in suspense, link us to a source stating so and give us a few minutes of interesting reading!

I really don't have any more information than the quite many news pieces stating otherwise.

Scroll up ^^^^^

there’s a pretty picture and a link for you.  Or you could trying using google you moron. 

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/196687-sydney-to-hobart-2018/&page=34&tab=comments#comment-6453780

31 minutes ago, mad said:

Mr Sparrow to the white courtesy phone please? :lol:

Mate I could only find a black one but noaano is on the line...will that work??

Mads Phone.jpeg

6 minutes ago, mad said:

there’s a pretty picture and a link for you.  Or you could trying using google you moron. 

Pardon my ignorance/moron-nes, but what does a car site have to do with transatlantic record being discussed?

And in VOR they did not run their engines 24/7, they in fact only used them to charge the batteries every once in a while. This I learned from Google.

Mastervolt_Li_Ion_VOR65_discharge_charge

And I don't even know why this is relevant at all, as VOR boats are not even close to 100 footers in question.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate I could only find a black one...will that work??

Mads Phone.jpeg

Nice one Jack, my back is fucked and I’ve just coughed and spat red wine all over the place. Fucker!! 

:P

12 minutes ago, mad said:

Nice one Jack, my back is fucked and I’ve just coughed and spat red wine all over the place. Fucker!! 

:P

Mate quick tip. Stop spitting and start drinkin. With Brexit that will be £40 a bottle shortly.

8 hours ago, mad said:

Maybe this will take the edge off the line honours side of it and people will start to follow the real race again. 

Absolutely. Unfortunately, that’s what yahoos like Hoppy can’t understand. The real race (handicap overall) is nonsense til well into the race. Too much changes for the overall to mean anything that early. The line honor race is easy to follow and makes for good entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. 

17 minutes ago, Ozee Adventure said:

Wild Oats X (aka Ocean Respect) beat Wild Oats XI on corrected time. Fantastic job. 

Link for you. 

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/standings/ms/?raceId=113&categoryId=506

Crew swap next year maybe? ;)

Edit to add 

Theres hardly anything in the quick google search I used, everything points to line honours. 

Maybe Randoms theory is correct?? Fuck! The rapture may be upon on us. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ozee Adventure said:

Wild Oats X (aka Ocean Respect) beat Wild Oats XI on corrected time. Fantastic job. 

The seperation between them and Alive never went more than around 5nm whole race. Deserve their #2 spot.

34 minutes ago, noaano said:

Pardon my ignorance/moron-nes, but what does a car site have to do with transatlantic record being discussed?

Have you ever spent time in a Turkish prison dressed up as Julie Andrews??

39 minutes ago, noaano said:

And in VOR they did not run their engines 24/7, they in fact only used them to charge the batteries every once in a while. This I learned from Google.

Mastervolt_Li_Ion_VOR65_discharge_charge

And I don't even know why this is relevant at all, as VOR boats are not even close to 100 footers in question.

Google Comanche! 

Fuck sake, somebody get LB15 on the other line?? 

I’m supposed to be interfering with Jacks hot 40 year old mother in law this evening. Really don’t have time for this. 

(Sorry Jack, too much information?) :P

27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Have you ever spent time in a Turkish prison dressed up as Julie Andrews??

I take it you have? Relevance of this is still a bit unclear to me though.

22 minutes ago, mad said:

Google Comanche! 

I did. What would be the right search term? 

"Comanche transatlantic record" just returns this as first hit:

And overall it delivered, enabling the team to tear across the Atlantic in record time, using only manual powered winches and hydraulics.

BTW I am quite aware she has engine driven hydraulics as well as an option. She is also able to steam under power without her sails.

No search term I managed to invent did return image of that nice Volvo Penta you linked though. Pity. I believe her engine is more silverish colour with some red markings than green.

And you could also hire Simon van Velthooven and co as crew, if you wanted.

4 hours ago, TPG said:

I wish they'd ban whining but we can't all have what we want, can we?

if they banned whining, then the post counts on SA would drop dramatically causing SA to take a huge financial hit in advertising revenue.

2 minutes ago, bayboy said:

Oats going home eek....

They rarely hang around for long after, crew on a plane, delivery crew on the boat. 

• Like 1

self proclaimed peoples boat I think not, in fact I doubt any of the crew even sat down signed autographs for young kids or talked to people interested in sailing, sadly sailing has much work to catch up on other sports to grab people's imagination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Absolutely. Unfortunately, that’s what yahoos like Hoppy can’t understand. The real race (handicap overall) is nonsense til well into the race. Too much changes for the overall to mean anything that early. The line honor race is easy to follow and makes for good entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Exactly, simpletons like you can only follow the maxis because its a brain off activity.

Following the small boat is such hard work, you have to look for boats in the same division who are close and racing each other. And for the big prize you have to factor in the weather forecasts and the relative positions of the boat to imagine what might happen. Then when the weather does not follow the script everything is turned upside down. 

Perhaps its better to pretend the small boats aren't out there and stick to discussing maxis for days after they have finished whilst you wait for the official Tatts result 

If you are not a millennial, then you at least think like one.  

• Downvote 1

All bets paid. Couta i missed you and box but i handed the jug to little box and tuned mrs box. 

20181229_225638.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Exactly, simpletons like you can only follow the maxis because its a brain off activity.

Following the small boat is such hard work, you have to look for boats in the same division who are close and racing each other. And for the big prize you have to factor in the weather forecasts and the relative positions of the boat to imagine what might happen. Then when the weather does not follow the script everything is turned upside down. 

Perhaps its better to pretend the small boats aren't out there and stick to discussing maxis for days after they have finished whilst you wait for the official Tatts result 

That’s adorable. First off, not a millennial, so that insult doesn’t fly. Second of all, myself, like most good sailors can multitask. We see two races at the same time. One is entertaining to watch, while the second unfolds. Perhaps it’s because many of us, myself included, have sailed on boats that were both line honor contenders as well as handicap. 

I still remember the joy of partying in the bar after winning line honors in a 200+ boat fleet with a handheld VHF sitting right there listening for finish confirmations to see if we won handicap as well. We did. 

Both wins were a thrill. If you’ve never been there, maybe you wouldn’t get it. I’m guessing you don’t get it. 

11 minutes ago, Monkey said:

That’s adorable. First off, not a millennial, so that insult doesn’t fly.

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

11 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Second of all, myself, like most good sailors can multitask. We see two races at the same time. One is entertaining to watch, while the second unfolds. Perhaps it’s because many of us, myself included, have sailed on boats that were both line honor contenders as well as handicap. 

I still remember the joy of partying in the bar after winning line honors in a 200+ boat fleet with a handheld VHF sitting right there listening for finish confirmations to see if we won handicap as well. We did. 

Both wins were a thrill. If you’ve never been there, maybe you wouldn’t get it. I’m guessing you don’t get it. 

I'm happy for you... You weren't sailing the S2H just an armchair expert like the rest of us, but clearly trying to follow anything but the LH was beyond you. 

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I believe they turned the engine off for enough time required to set the 24-hour record. Don't need power to cant the keel if it's locked at max cant for 24 hours straight...

2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I'm happy for you... You weren't sailing the S2H just an armchair expert like the rest of us, but clearly trying to follow anything but the LH was beyond you. 

Sorry I wasn’t sailing. It’s kind of a bitch to get a boat over from the U.S. unless you’re filthy rich. 

No problem with the armchair insult. Its fucking cold here, so boats are packed up for winter. Unfortunately, not consistently cold enough for ice boats yet. Stuck with armchair sailing. 

Still curious on your logic behind the millennial insult. I’d really like you to explain that one because it doesn’t make any sense when compared to anything I’ve posted. 

42 minutes ago, ASP said:

I believe they turned the engine off for enough time required to set the 24-hour record. Don't need power to cant the keel if it's locked at max cant for 24 hours straight...

And didn't use the hydraulic halyard winch.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Sorry I wasn’t sailing. It’s kind of a bitch to get a boat over from the U.S. unless you’re filthy rich. 

No problem with the armchair insult. Its fucking cold here, so boats are packed up for winter. Unfortunately, not consistently cold enough for ice boats yet. Stuck with armchair sailing. 

Still curious on your logic behind the millennial insult. I’d really like you to explain that one because it doesn’t make any sense when compared to anything I’ve posted. 

I hate quoting myself, but fuck it. 

Hoppy, have you ever done any real offshore race?  Not looking for a story. Yes or no?

Edit:  and I don’t mean tagging along in the cruising division. 

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The seperation between them and Alive never went more than around 5nm whole race. Deserve their #2 spot.

Awesome result, and I won't say well deserved because that would be patronising to a hardened pro crew, but a great outcome for women's offshore sailing.

And a call out to Infotack.  An awesome result for a design concept that is really well outta date (and may never have been anything other than a compromise anyhow) and easily the weakest of the 100s in light conditions.

• Like 1

There is a large party on Trumpcard right now. All welcome. Kings 48/50 berth. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

I hate quoting myself, but fuck it. 

Hoppy, have you ever done any real offshore race?  Not looking for a story. Yes or no?

Edit:  and I don’t mean tagging along in the cruising division. 

Does it matter? 

We are talking watching a race online and having the ability to show any interest beyond the maxis.

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

GREAT RACE ..GREAT MEMORIES

@SCANASoff Cape Raoul so should finish before daybreak ahead of some lighter plastic boats in same class. I encourage everyone to go look at their Buffalo track. A ballsy move for a ploughing shitter that got them to nearly single digits at one stage. Hats off.

All the Podiums look now done and dusted. 

Apart from feeling pretty chuffed for my RP trifecta prediction (Alives IRC and ORCi a standout), great to see Privateer a 50' get #3 in IRC Div 0 ahead of all the 100's and 60's bar two to reward them for their huge effort in a big boat race and journey a long way from home. @Couta and the Voodoo lads #3 overall and #1 in Div1 should not be discounted as just big boat as they must have worked their rings off. They had lots of snakes and ladders to get that, where they luckily got a ladder at the end and Ichi got a snake.

Apart from the big dick bonfire a superb race that will leave some great memories. 

It’s still 1975 / 1985 on Trumpcard! We didn’t have any internet or tracker so we took the weather we got on 26th and went wide baby! Good times on the timber bus. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

It’s still 1975 / 1985 on Trumpcard! We didn’t have any internet or tracker so we took the weather we got on 26th and went wide baby! Good times on the timber bus. 

Scanas, you sailed the pants off poor little Trumpcard. It was great entertainment watching the tussle between you and Midnight Rambler.

Congratulations!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Maw said:

Scanas, you sailed the pants off poor little Trumpcard. It was great entertainment watching the tussle between you and Midnight Rambler.

Congratulations!

Midnight ended up beating us over the line & on IRC. Full credit to them. Those guys knew what to do, esp across storm bay!

We put a reef in before Tasman & a panel on the main separated, went to 2nd reef & a 2nd panel separated. We also opened up some bad cracks on the boom, which we nursed! 

We took a dig into the coast & considered setting the trysail but electeted to push on with two reefs on the main & two panel’s separated which we ran to near the finish when we shook it all out in light airs!  

Great race, great crew / huge effort for QLD owners who do this race!

• Like 1

Does Alive have a canard and WOX daggerboards? A pretty significant difference as far as upwind performance goes I would imagine..?

1 hour ago, ASP said:

Does Alive have a canard and WOX daggerboards? A pretty significant difference as far as upwind performance goes I would imagine..?

Yes correct it’s one of the few differences to the boats. Oats more lead on the bulb, different interior and larger code zero