bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Hi Tricky, 

pocket maxi, from memory a 60 something? Flat deck, grinders everywhere.

Edit: I hope like fuck it wasn’t just a fantasy, that would be worrisome.

Sponsored by Hoover I believe

Thanks gents, that was the girl I was thinking of. 

I was a year out, I thought it was 1997. I remember getting absolutely smashed on the delivery back, and amongst the fantasies of a chopper coming to get me off this godforsaken chunk of flotsam was one where it was Elle flying the chopper.

Its amazing what hours on the rail can do to one's pysche.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

But the hull of the new boat was bought,  had the fretboard reduced, and a meter of beam added to turn it into an open 60 for the BOC or VDG.

That involved slicing hull in half longitudinaly end to end. Lot of trouble to go to produce a heavy frankenboat.  

• Like 1

We can’t forget the old Hammer of Queensland, Innkeeper and the old Bobsled now call White bird. 

For years these boats were always snapping at The heals of the maxi’s and were all way ahead of their time in in design and speed. 

And im shore that there are many other Boat as well 

pulpit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pulpit said:

the old Hammer of Queensland

she surfs :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Curious said:

The fact that the Fastnet is biannual doesn't explain why it's now bigger than it has ever been, while the Hobart is now almost exactly 2/3 as big as it was. Sure, '98 didn't help but neither did '79 Fastnet.  And it's not as if the problem with Australian offshore racing is restricted to the Hobart - look at the RPA's race north which is now down to about 10% of what it was.

The other factor is that looking at the Fastnet fleet and a historical comparison with earlier Hobarts shows quite clearly the drop in Hobart (and RPA race) numbers is due to the collapse in the 40 foot and under sized boats, and yet that issue appears to be completely ignored. How do the leaders of the sport intend to fix this, or to fix the sport at all/

The sport is in real trouble in Australia, and a major part of the problem is probably the mentality of people who don't own a boat slagging off "6 kt SBs". Why the fuck would someone get into a sport full of people who would insult someone for daring to spend only tens of thousands to give people a sail, instead of spending a few hundred k?  

The funny thing is that if boat owners behaved in such a snobbish fashion, for example by publicly calling their crew "bludgers" because they expected the owner to pay for their fun, people would get their knickers in a twist. No wonder so many owners have walked away from the sport, shaking their head in wonder at the attitudes on display.

I did hear that Tom Slingsby was doing a clinic for young sailors on the harbour when one of the crew called a passing boat a "shitbox'. Tom apparently said that someone loved that boat and if the kid said it again, he'd be put off. Great stuff.

Well put.  I'd love to think that Slingsby comment is true.

1 hour ago, ALL@SEA said:

To the best of my knowledge,  that was meant to be a precursor to a full Whitbread campaign,  and Elle was having a new 60 built. I don't know why the whole never went ahead,  probably $. But the hull of the new boat was bought,  had the fretboard reduced, and a meter of beam added to turn it into an open 60 for the BOC or VDG. Again,  funds dried up, and she was sold to become a n express cruiser- Gusto 1

20181216_165139.jpg

The legendary / notorious John Biddlecomb did it.  IIRC it was originally a Farr designed Whitbread 60 hull shell built at a serious boatbuilder, maybe McConaghy for an "Elle Racing" syndicate which didn't end up eventuating or died along the way.  Biddles bought it for peanuts then did the mods.

2 hours ago, Curious said:

The fact that the Fastnet is biannual doesn't explain why it's now bigger than it has ever been, while the Hobart is now almost exactly 2/3 as big as it was. Sure, '98 didn't help but neither did '79 Fastnet.  And it's not as if the problem with Australian offshore racing is restricted to the Hobart - look at the RPA's race north which is now down to about 10% of what it was.

The other factor is that looking at the Fastnet fleet and a historical comparison with earlier Hobarts shows quite clearly the drop in Hobart (and RPA race) numbers is due to the collapse in the 40 foot and under sized boats, and yet that issue appears to be completely ignored. How do the leaders of the sport intend to fix this, or to fix the sport at all/

The sport is in real trouble in Australia, and a major part of the problem is probably the mentality of people who don't own a boat slagging off "6 kt SBs". Why the fuck would someone get into a sport full of people who would insult someone for daring to spend only tens of thousands to give people a sail, instead of spending a few hundred k?  

The funny thing is that if boat owners behaved in such a snobbish fashion, for example by publicly calling their crew "bludgers" because they expected the owner to pay for their fun, people would get their knickers in a twist. No wonder so many owners have walked away from the sport, shaking their head in wonder at the attitudes on display.

I did hear that Tom Slingsby was doing a clinic for young sailors on the harbour when one of the crew called a passing boat a "shitbox'. Tom apparently said that someone loved that boat and if the kid said it again, he'd be put off. Great stuff.

Apart from it being Biannual, the race is a Cat 2 race which makes considerably cheaper and more attractive to the lesser prepared boats.  It is interesting that RORC do not do position scheds for the race and monitoring the fleet is done firstly by tracker and then by AIS.  Quite a different attitude compared to Aus.

What about the old Marchioness... wasn’t she a pocket maxi too? 70ft maybe??

On 1/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, DickDastardly said:

Surprisingly good ideas can come from unexpected directions sometimes.

And think how motivated everyone would then be to keep their AIS transmitters operating as the maxis thunder through the smaller boat fleet...

A stern chaser would be interesting as it might mean a good part of the fleet would arrive at Tasman light in the same weather window and a race restart that gives smaller boats a chance at the win

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Apart from it being Biannual, the race is a Cat 2 race which makes considerably cheaper and more attractive to the lesser prepared boats. It is interesting that RORC do not do position scheds for the race and monitoring the fleet is done firstly by tracker and then by AIS.  Quite a different attitude compared to Aus.

That is because they are very different race environments, noting bugger all difference in cost between Cat 1 and 2.

Fasnet is Cat 2, a there and back race so no HF, have a very good VHF network, good RNLI and other dedicated rescue resources. Also lot of commercial vessesl to call upon to assist.

S2H Cat 1 end to end race and a fraction of those resources. Voice scheds are mandatory in 2S2H because Cat 1 inclusive of HF but RC allows the old voice only HF and doesn't insist upon digital GMDSS/DSC HF. This translates into voice scheds and mandatory Green Cape call up.

7 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

A stern chaser would be interesting as it might mean a good part of the fleet would arrive at Tasman light in the same weather window and a race restart that gives smaller boats a chance at the win

Wonder how many whack jobs will now chime in saying the finish should be at Tasman Is.

42 minutes ago, Next Level said:

What about the old Marchioness... wasn’t she a pocket maxi too? 70ft maybe??

Another Whitsundays brothel - renamed Broomstick after a ferry disaster in europe IIRC. She was always designed for the charter market to give her resale value post racing.... having worked on her, I can say she performed as a charter boat better then most... also had the worst bed bug infestation I have ever experienced - those creatures would survive Chernobyl!

Hammer was another favourite...

I know its a bit sad seeing them fall from from their former glory, but at least they're still being sailed, which is more than a lot of IOR/IMS former warhorses can dream of.

2 hours ago, Mid said:

she surfs :ph34r:

So does Mark Richards.

Image result for mark richards surfer

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Another Whitsundays brothel - renamed Broomstick after a ferry disaster in europe IIRC. She was always designed for the charter market to give her resale value post racing.... having worked on her, I can say she performed as a charter boat better then most... also had the worst bed bug infestation I have ever experienced - those creatures would survive Chernobyl!

Hammer was another favourite...

I know its a bit sad seeing them fall from from their former glory, but at least they're still being sailed, which is more than a lot of IOR/IMS former warhorses can dream of.

I agree. Condor still looks great and Rags was well looked after when George was skippering her. Was great to see her back as Bummblebee IX in the Gladstone race this year. We had a great tussle with her going up the island in 30 knots and she looked great fighting it out with us on a Kerr 36 :) Her AIS wasn't working though.

We thought about calling a press conference, having a sook and asking Nigel to protest them for us, but we decided just to go to the bar and a few beers and a steak with them instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Nah, too hard to organise the start. Instead, the 100 footers should do two laps; Sydney-Iron Pot - Sow and Pigs-Hobart. Canting 70-80 footers can go Sydney-Iron Pot-Montague-Hobart. Fixed keelers do the usual course.:-)

• Like 1

I have been thinking of a unofficial cruise from Balmoral Beach to the D’Entrecasteau Channel, starting on Christmas Eve.

Turn up at Bathers at 10am, Lemans start from the beach in dinghies at a mutually agreeable time, allowing for coffee and croissants of course.

Finish at the Woodbridge pub at Peppermint Bay, first boat in has to shout the bar..

Much more in the tradition of the original S2H than the current race, not organised by any club or anything like that, just a bunch of sailors turning up for a cruise..

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Curious said:

Nah, too hard to organise the start. Instead, the 100 footers should do two laps; Sydney-Iron Pot - Sow and Pigs-Hobart. Canting 70-80 footers can go Sydney-Iron Pot-Montague-Hobart. Fixed keelers do the usual course.:-)

Or set a series of turning marks extending out in a line East and West across Bass Strait. Your choice which direction. IRC rating determines which mark you need to get out to.

The main fleet get the nearest but it's a CYCA buoy with a donation bucket for the Pro retirement fund, the 50's get a coffee boat, the 60's get a coffee boat with irish whisky, the 70-80's get a gin palace loaded with fans, hookers and blow and the 100's get a buoy with a erasable whiteboard and a sharpie on a lanyard, as we all know that their electronics gear:

-are not at their best in the morning

-need someone to to check on them regularly,

-insist they have books written about them 

-insist said books are carried on board.

-are known to sulk petulantly and ignore repeated pleas to respond in a proper manner

-throw the worlds biggest tanty whenever the paparazzi come to visit

-transform into the Prom Queen and act perfectly normally at Constitution Dock for the fans.

The Sydney to Hobart Inaugural Pursuit race.

What do I win??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shaggybaxter said:

What do I win??

Dinner and Breakfast with LB :blink:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Elle Macpherson chartered a maxi?? 

Are you selling tickets?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Paps, if you could see preview inside my head at the moment....oh would you pay bigtime to see that.

I never knew she was that flexible...

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 5:23 AM, LB 15 said:

That is true. Apollo, Bumblebee, Kialoa, Nivana, Windward passage, Ballyhoo, The Condors, the Biggest boats have always got the headlines. The press have always given them the lions share of the attention. Throw in a story about the smallest battler in the fleet, Syd doing his 243rd race and some hot chick doing her first race and that was the coverage. Apparently the general public have never been interested in a well sailed mid fleet boat. 

Strange attitude from someone who earns a living teaching people how to sail.....negative spiral?

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is because they are very different race environments, noting bugger all difference in cost between Cat 1 and 2.

Fasnet is Cat 2, a there and back race so no HF, have a very good VHF network, good RNLI and other dedicated rescue resources. Also lot of commercial vessesl to call upon to assist.

S2H Cat 1 end to end race and a fraction of those resources. Voice scheds are mandatory in 2S2H because Cat 1 inclusive of HF but RC allows the old voice only HF and doesn't insist upon digital GMDSS/DSC HF. This translates into voice scheds and mandatory Green Cape call up.

Always keen to stay at the forefront of comms technology, I hear the CYCA are reconsidering allowing the use of carrier pigeons as was the case in the first few Sydney to Hobart races.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trickypig said:

There was an all woman crew in the 96 Hobart racing an old Whitbread 60 called Elle Racing   That’s all I can think it might be...

That's fine Tricky, gave me a horn. I'm still watching re runs of "Sirens" on Netflix.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Eddy's due, I'm being bashful under my umbrella.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mid said:

Dinner and Breakfast with LB :blink:

Tried that mate, but its very disconcerting with Random sitting there at the table in that leather outfit. They do keep moving him around though, one minute he's the front door stop, the next he's LB's bike rack, he stood in for the letter box for a few days...or when they have parties and sit him in the garden like a Balinese buddha with the water hose rammed up his arse.

I bumped into LB wheeling him down the road yesterday for a beer at the local Bandidos chapter house. He seemed to be very excited about getting out, he had lipstick all over the suit orifices, but he's always been a bit strange so.....

12 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Always keen to stay at the forefront of comms technology, I hear the CYCA are reconsidering allowing carrier pigeons as used in the first few Hobart races.

Next gen tracker for S2H

eight_col_bottle.jpg?1461101099

Who remembers this when it first came on TV?

I was a teen back then, so I have clear blurry memories of it.

6 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Tried that mate, but its very disconcerting with Random sitting there at the table in that leather outfit. They do keep moving him around though, one minute he's the front door stop, the next he's LB's bike rack, he stood in for the letter box for a few days...or when they have parties and sit him in the garden like a Balinese buddha with the water hose rammed up his arse.

I bumped into LB wheeling him down the road yesterday for a beer at the local Bandidos chapter house. He seemed to be very excited about getting out, he had lipstick all over the suit orifices, but he's always been a bit strange so.....

Just put him in the attic and feed him fish heads..

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Always keen to stay at the forefront of comms technology, I hear the CYCA are reconsidering allowing the use of carrier pigeons as was the case in the first few Sydney to Hobart races.

Mate I don't think much will change. No different than if you don't have a functioning AIS caused by TV microwaves and that showed you didn't transmit along the race course other than at pre start and post finish. Pigeons are exactly the same. The fuckers just die on the Rhumbline providing the same evidence.

DeadKingOurLadyofPeacePigeons.jpg

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Hoppy I'm now very worried about you. My guess as an impressionable teen you identified very strongly with the guy in that advert. A crack 70's surfer and later contest inovator and man's man called Peter Drouyan.

Peter sort of then changed after that and  then became Westerly Windina. Hillary sorry Hoppy, have you felt some strange urges coming on lately?? 

download.jpeg

1cb406a059490f38babc176d29a1b9a9.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hoppy I'm now very worried about you. My guess as an impressionable teen you identified very strongly with the guy in that advert. A crack 70's surfer and later contest inovator and man's man called Peter Drouyan.

Peter sort of then changed after that and  then became Westerly Windina. Hillary sorry Hoppy, have you felt some strange urges coming on lately?? 

download.jpeg

Geeze Jack it was all going so well with our  Elle fantasies and then you had to go and do that.

Mimi Macpherson’s sex tape should distract me from those images...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Geeze Jack it was all going so well with our  Elle fantasies and then you had to go and do that.

Mimi Macpherson’s sex tape should distract me from those images...

Mate I'm more worried is the highlight of 2019 is Hillary buying a TP52 for $80k, then someone posting the post purchase celebratory sex tape on line.

Then watching Hillary on Channel 7 in December start with a all girl crew who also answer to Bruce or something. Though I have to say that will send the CYC spastic.

Go Hillary.

29 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

download.jpeg

Well, oil beef hooked. I had no idea that happened. 

38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

download.jpeg

what man?

I thought Elle was alone in that commercial. Is Westerly Windina one of your ex's?

15 minutes ago, hoppy said:

what man?

I thought Elle was alone in that commercial. Is Westerly Windina one of your ex's?

Hillary sorry Hoppy you probably now need to go through an exhaustive analysis of the 4 stages of denial. Like starting with how long have you been waxing? Duct taping your dick and sack to your arse crack isn't normal. Your ideal racing boat purchase is one that contains an electric head, come hell or high water etc?

Miss Hoppy we are here to help, trust me.

3 hours ago, VOA said:

Early 2000's from memory.  I'm told he is having a rethink about going back to being Peter. Very complex guy. Probably responsible for the introduction of the short board world wide in the 60's, though never really credited.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VOA said:

Drouyan was always a strange cat. I remember he and Paul Neilson paddled out at our local break at Broadbeach one glassy day when it was perfect and spent the session dropping in on each other. 

I've got ask Couta, just checked the entry lists for Geelong, whats with Voodoo entering the Cruising division in Festival of Sail in Geelong.  Want to beat up on the little Benes?  HTFU and race with the big boys

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hillary sorry Hoppy you probably now need to go through an exhaustive analysis of the 4 stages of denial. Like starting with how long have you been waxing? Duct taping your dick and sack to your arse crack isn't normal. Your ideal racing boat purchase is one that contains an electric head, come hell or high water etc?

Miss Hoppy we are here to help, trust me.

I’m so glad I will never likely meet you in person. There would be nothing worse than meeting someone who has sick fantasies about me. 

To each his own....

On 1/11/2019 at 8:43 AM, LB 15 said:

Fuck! And I thought I could act like a dick on here sometimes! 

You can but unlike you I'm not hiding.

Maybe it's lost in text but I'm always laughing as i reply, just like I'd be laughing as i say these things to your face in the ckub or the pub.

It's a great laugh to me so don't get upset just enjoy the banter.

Lol have a great day!

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

I’m so glad I will never likely meet you in person.

I'm not so sure about that. When I go to a department store I somehow always seem to go via the cosmetic section and slow down to have a bit of an optic. 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Here you go @Couta Voodoo gets some air time. 

What a great advertisement for the sport. A shit hot race.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feilberg said:

You can but unlike you I'm not hiding.

Maybe it's lost in text but I'm always laughing as i reply, just like I'd be laughing as i say these things to your face in the ckub or the pub.

It's a great laugh to me so don't get upset just enjoy the banter.

Lol have a great day!

I’m am hiding? I am taking you seriously? You are new here arn’t you...

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

I've got ask Couta, just checked the entry lists for Geelong, whats with Voodoo entering the Cruising division in Festival of Sail in Geelong.  Want to beat up on the little Benes?  HTFU and race with the big boys

The real racing’s short tacking up the channel six times over the weekend, not this W/Ls where you can’t see the bottom nonsense 

• Like 2

When does the Australian Sailing, Australian Sailing championship of sailing start? Sail Paradise was the Australian Sailing Queensland sailing championships. They had 4 entries in IRC. Still 3 more than Frants race to Fiji. 

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I’m am hiding? I am taking you seriously? You are new here arn’t you...

Yes

So I'll finish the story the tp in question had a full clean up, sails up and drying full spray and wipe after a hose and wetvac before packing it all away as you do and that night head off to have a few and dinner and enjoy. Knowing full well they'd come back to a yacht smelling of spray and wipe and a few slowly distilling and fermenting crew members staying onboard.
So you could imagine the irate owner i past that morning as i returned to my yacht. I didn't know what happened and as he's an old mate standing there on the hose at 0800 i laughing tell me he'd done enough yesterday and they don't get any cleaner.. well I've seen that look a few times and now i know something's gone down and I'm in for the giggle , so the owner tells me the story and the young fellas got absolutely everything headsails, staysail, every spinnaker and I'll direct quote “ miss .... says she didn't know a human could hold that amount of liquid"  
Anyway after a few hour's the sails all up and hosed the youngstar comes round to face the heeler and to his credit showed himself to be the young champion that he is.

His hobart was was great one, won his division, 3rd overall "just gonna send it" session he'll never forget and with his dad to boot.

If you still want your jug couta then we'll have to double up on the southport race 

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

When does the Australian Sailing, Australian Sailing championship of sailing start? Sail Paradise was the Australian Sailing Queensland sailing championships. They had 4 entries in IRC. Still 3 more than Frants race to Fiji. 

No need for exaggeration when you’re talking about the Australian Sailing 2019 Saint Moritz by GURNER™ Australian Yachting Championships

https://www.sailing.org.au/news/15610/

it’s 21-24 jan so just before Geelong

3 minutes ago, resist said:

No need for exaggeration when you’re talking about the Australian Sailing 2019 Saint Moritz by GURNER™ Australian Yachting Championships

Saint Moritz? My mother used to smoke them back in the '70's. Stopped us stealing her durries.

9 hours ago, trt131 said:

I've got ask Couta, just checked the entry lists for Geelong, whats with Voodoo entering the Cruising division in Festival of Sail in Geelong.  

Yep..decision was made to let the team have some fun doing whatever they want/need to do over the back end of Chrissy....me? I've been down @ Black Rock with the Finns...trying to convince someone to sell me a boat at a steal...unbelievable talent pool with every colour Lympix medalist in the 40 boat fleet....others have gone for a ride at the IRC Aussies.....and we'll drag some mates together to enjoy a lazy FOS at Geelong. For us, as it should be for everyone, it's about having FUN. Sometimes that involves hard core racing, other times it involves catching up with lifelong mates for a sail and a beer! Cheers!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Couta said:

Yep..decision was made to let the team have some fun doing whatever they want/need to do over the back end of Chrissy....me? I've been down @ Black Rock with the Finns...trying to convince someone to sell me a boat at a steal...unbelievable talent pool with every colour Lympix medalist in the 40 boat fleet....others have gone for a ride at the IRC Aussies.....and we'll drag some mates together to enjoy a lazy FOS at Geelong. For us, as it should be for everyone, it's about having FUN. Sometimes that involves hard core racing, other times it involves catching up with lifelong mates for a sail and a beer! Cheers!!!

Are you doing the passage race?

Might get out on the water to watch the start from my uncles Jeanneau.  

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 12:25 AM, shaggybaxter said:

Hi Tricky, 

pocket maxi, from memory a 60 something? Flat deck, grinders everywhere.

Edit: I hope like fuck it wasn’t just a fantasy, that would be worrisome.

It wasn’t an old W60 was it?  Elle Bache rings a bell for some reason. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, shaggybaxter said:

Fuck I love this place. :lol:

58 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Are you doing the passage race?

Yep Hoppy...that's the plan (and of course, because it's the passage race...don't go "right"!)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Couta said:

Yep Hoppy...that's the plan (and of course, because it's the passage race...don't go "right"!)

Keep the coast to starboard and follow your nose....

On 1/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, hoppy said:

Sponsored by Hoover I believe

I think that got missed by most

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mad said:

It wasn’t an old W60 was it?  Elle Bache rings a bell for some reason. 

You don’t get to the David Jones cosmetics department much do you?

That’s ‘Ella Bache’ who did sponsor an 18’ skiff though.

The W60 was ‘Elle racing ‘

19 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

I think that got missed by most

He needs to be more specific, wasn’t 3000w mentioned somewhere?

24 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

You don’t get to the David Jones cosmetics department much do you?

That’s ‘Ella Bache’ who did sponsor an 18’ skiff though.

The W60 was ‘Elle racing ‘

Nope not particular cosmetics department. :lol:

10 hours ago, Couta said:

Bwahaha Couta! Fun memories of Navigation by Committee, LOL. Too much knowledge, when will they ever learn?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, resist said:

This guy is the PRO I believe.....EddyGoodTime

gurner.jpg

1 hour ago, olaf hart said:

He needs to be more specific, wasn’t 3000w mentioned somewhere?

I once sailed with an all girl crew ( yeah I know I know, leading with my chin around here), anyway the girls would bring men back to the boat and talk of giving them a good ‘hoovering’ .

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, hoppy said:

FYI..... Elle comes from a sailing family in the Shire..... I raced her dads cat "simply the best" for many years back in the day..... great people and still friends....

Poor Box junior...... Sculling a jug of rum is not easy at the back end of a Customs House session.....

10 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

FYI..... Elle comes from a sailing family in the Shire..... I raced her dads cat "simply the best" for many years back in the day..... great people and still friends....

Poor Box junior...... Sculling a jug of rum is not easy at the back end of a Customs House session.....

Simply the best won a few Gladstone’s in the 90’s IIRC

19 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Simply the best won a few Gladstone’s in the 90’s IIRC

I believe those wins were the formula 40 sailed by Jamie Morris .... Peter was involved with that program early  but not in the years that it won...  His was a highly modified Crowther Catana 42 stretched to 48. It was originally Rob Mundles boat called " Catamundlepidgeons" then STB then wrecked but since saved now called "White Noise"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trickypig said:

I once sailed with an all girl crew ( yeah I know I know, leading with my chin around here), anyway the girls would bring men back to the boat and talk of giving them a good ‘hoovering’ .

Beats and sweeps as it cleans...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Interesting, any Hoover on Hoover action? I realise some special attachments might be necessary.

3 hours ago, paps49 said:

Interesting, any Hoover on Hoover action? I realise some special attachments might be necessary.

No but they hooked into the young men whilst most blokes were propping up the bar

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, pulpit said:

We can’t forget the old Hammer of Queensland, Innkeeper and the old Bobsled now call White bird. 

For years these boats were always snapping at The heals of the maxi’s and were all way ahead of their time in in design and speed. 

pulpit

WHITE BIRD  is a nice looking boat today and presents beautifully. 

On 1/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, pulpit said:

pulpit

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

WHITE BIRD  is a nice looking boat today and presents beautifully. 

Yes terrafirma,

White Bird is a very good looking boat now and does presents beautifully. 

And at the dollars  that they spent on her it should. They would of been better off starting with a new design and build. The boat has had a complete interior fit out, new carbon mast and deck gear and sails. It’s now a all new boat and gear on a 20 + year old hull. 

At least it’s great to see owner who love their boats so much that they will spend what they have to to keep the old girl going 

Pulpit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

It’s now a all new boat and gear on a 20 + year old hull. 

30 year. Large slabs of the original alloy hull structure (built at the beginning by melting down beer cans and started shitting itself not long after through galvanic corrosion etc) ended up in land fill. Probably the most rediculous refits ever done on mother earth. That said the owners wanted to retain some history they were attached to. Good on them.