bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

5 hours ago, Couta said:

This is SA, so we expect opinions without personal experience, knowledge or basis...but for the record, I'd sail with Wouter any day.

Me too...we all have a "only one goat experience". He has had his. When it happens some are lucky and the cheap seats aren't watching or if so they pass the buck.

• Like 1

We all make mistakes including Navigational. I did read some of the Whitepaper that made reference to the boat hitting the reef and being zoomed out too far on a smaller plotter (Race boats save weight) was a factor. That being said not being aware of such a major obstacle will not do you any favors. Life goes on and if you learn from your mistakes it can make you the better. Getting someone on the rebound from a major like this would be a plus IMO and I'd vouch for Wouter too even though I don't know him. That might sound funny but you can only go by your gut feeling. Would love to see Scallywag do well with him on board if that's the way it pans out?

On 9/6/2018 at 11:16 PM, terrafirma said:

Would love to see Scallywag do well with him on board if that's the way it pans out?

Not sure that will be happening with Nico on board.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:16 PM, terrafirma said:

I did read some of the Whitepaper that made reference to the boat hitting the reef and being zoomed out too far on a smaller plotter (Race boats save weight) was a factor. 

Terra you misinterpreted, zoomed out yes but not plotter. While a small MFD at Nav Station is common it is rarely used in plotter mode. Maybe this incident shows they should be permanently running in High Res plotter mode? Wouter had two laptops both zoomed out weather routing on a larger scale = crash.

45 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Terra you misinterpreted, zoomed out yes but not plotter. While a small MFD at Nav Station is common it is rarely used in plotter mode. Maybe this incident shows they should be permanently running in High Res plotter mode? Wouter had two laptops both zoomed out weather routing on a larger scale = crash.

Cheers thanks for the clarification

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

running in High Res plotter mode? 

.. but low enough res to give them time to avoid with three on deck.

Could easily set a shallow-water-within-10 miles alarm - but of course they'd previewed the course and didn't expect anything...

4 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Could easily set a shallow-water-within-10 miles alarm 

Dunc shallow water alarm would have been pretty useless as they spent many hours/ day at approx same depth for it to nearly daylight in less than 30 sec in that postcode at speed they were going. Aircraft pilots going 20 times their speed get more alarms going off than that.

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dunc shallow water alarm would have been pretty useless as they spent many hours/ day at approx same depth for it to nearly daylight in less than 30 sec in that postcode at speed they were going. Aircraft pilots going 20 times their speed get more alarms going off than that.

I mean a chart-plotter based job.  Shallow water within 10nm sort of thing.

Agree depth sounder is useless - they were probably hanging with the bow on the reef and stern in 300ft of water.

7 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

I mean a chart-plotter based job.  Shallow water within 10nm sort of thing.

My bad. Should have taken that what you meant. That feature was spoken about a lot imediately post Vestas but I'm unaware anyone in the digital chart/hardware world has done much about it since. 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Could be the team to beat! 

Don’t be absurd.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 12:07 PM, DickDastardly said:

High chance of sunfish

And short handed multis

On 9/25/2018 at 3:32 PM, SCANAS said:

Could be the team to beat! 

Certainly going to be better prepared than ever before, reducing the need to take gambles.

If he listens to the Nav they’ll do well. 

On 9/25/2018 at 5:32 PM, SCANAS said:

Could be the team to beat

Unfortunately if Witt shares that delusion he  still hasn't worked out they were least improved of all the VOR teams. A couple of new bodies on the 100' won't change that unless it is realised and acted upon. That said he does seem a bit more self aware these days.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Unfortunately if Witt shares that delusion he  still hasn't worked out they were least improved of all the VOR teams. A fish either swims from or rots from the head down. A couple of new bodies on the 100' won't change that unless it is realised and acted upon. That said he does seem a bit more self aware these days.

They’ve always been last to hit the water with the least prep. After a lap of the planet, a good Nav & an open cheque book this has to be their best chance yet. The boat has always been fast enough. 

4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

If he listens to the Nav they’ll do well. 

Is that before or after he gives himself another pre-race handjob on national TV?

19 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Is that before or after he gives himself another pre-race handjob on national TV?

Coulda been a red shirt you know!

As far as leadership speeches go that one was very ordinary. 1/10 for that one Witty. 

Anyone know of local boats which can be chartered for the Hobart? In the 35-45ft range and already cat 1. approx costings?

56 minutes ago, Next Level said:

Anyone know of local boats which can be chartered for the Hobart? In the 35-45ft range and already cat 1. approx costings?

Every boat that isn't doing the Hobart is a potential charter boat.! There isn't a list as such. If you are worried about the cost then you need to find a boat that is safety ready and almost ready otherwise your question is like how long is a piece of string? Your cost approximately would start at $10-20k and work up from there IMO. Only answering with a guess because you asked.....

7 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Every boat that isn't doing the Hobart is a potential charter boat.! There isn't a list as such. If you are worried about the cost then you need to find a boat that is safety ready and almost ready otherwise your question is like how long is a piece of string? Your cost approximately would start at $10-20k and work up from there IMO. Only answering with a guess because you asked.....

Appreciate the response. Yeah, I think a cat 1 ready or close to option would be the go. I’ve heard figures of 60-80 for the 60 footers and above but never the smaller boats.

I think that for all the hassle of being Cat 1 ready, if it was cat 1 it would be going. If not then it would be a last minute withdrawal for crew reasons but certainly not something you could rely on.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, Next Level said:

Appreciate the response. Yeah, I think a cat 1 ready or close to option would be the go. I’ve heard figures of 60-80 for the 60 footers and above but never the smaller boats.

I have heard a charter cost is around 20% of the boats value, ie a 40 racing boat would be around $40K plus a couple of new sails. Given the potential trashing of the boats sail wardrobe the charter cost is a cheap way of skippering a boat for a Hobart!.

If you are after a cheaper option, I am sure there are lower grade boat options, ie performance handicap rated boats with white sails which will be cheaper, ie $20K

The problem with the charter boat option is you will still need to put in the effort (time and money) to make sure the boat is ready to race (only past and present boat owners reading this post will appreciate this comment).

SYD38 could be good option. Plenty of boats & boat parts around. 

29 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

SYD38 could be good option. Plenty of boats & boat parts around. 

That’s what I’m thinking.... or alternatively first 40. Both proven and plenty around. All comes down to available boats and how set up they are.

any locals know of owners/boats that could available for 2019 (75th ed)?

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

They might need to go practise in some lumpy shit.

They’ve got the early forecast and train to it. How will they pick between the Maxi or the Tri to start with? That’s the big question

3 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

How will they pick between the Maxi or the Tri to start with? 

They simply need to lodge 4 entries without pictures.

On 10/1/2018 at 2:07 PM, Next Level said:

That’s what I’m thinking.... or alternatively first 40. Both proven and plenty around. All comes down to available boats and how set up they are.

any locals know of owners/boats that could available for 2019 (75th ed)?

A Sydney 38/ First 40 will cost you about $50k when it is all said and done.

Charter fee, insurance, boat prep, entry and delivery back to Sydney.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep the feelers out...

3 hours ago, lydia said:

A Sydney 38/ First 40 will cost you about $50k when it is all said and done.

Charter fee, insurance, boat prep, entry and delivery back to Sydney.

3 hours ago, Next Level said:

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep the feelers out...

What about looking at boats that are for sale. Maybe some sellers would consider putting the sale on hold for a cash injection.

She's the Culprit is at cat 1 (needs a rental life raft) and it did the last S2H. 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/inglis-39/214474

5 minutes ago, richiec said:

Wow! How good is the upholstery in that thing! Inspired!

I think it was done to mask the vomit.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:15 AM, Next Level said:

I know a Volvo 70 that you could charter.... I'm guessing $200000

8 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

I know a Volvo 70 that you could charter.... I'm guessing $200000

Rent it out for 4 years & it’d pay off the purchase price :) 

1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

Rent it out for 4 years & it’d pay off the purchase price :) 

We know its about the running costs not the purchase...as I'm sure you are acutely aware Scanas. 

I hear big Ichiban can be taken and it would be north $200000

3 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

We know its about the running costs not the purchase...as I'm sure you are acutely aware Scanas. 

I hear big Ichiban can be taken and it would be north $200000

Ouch 200k! - Shit Hot looking boat tho! 

17 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

They simply need to lodge 4 entries without pictures.

Like Ichi Ban.... or was that 2 or 3 entries? :)

It's plastic so the vomit hoses right off

It's plastic so the vomit hoses right off

23 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

They might need to go practise in some lumpy shit.

Who is paying for this?

37000 employees & a few supplier rebates. 

15 hours ago, Teaky said:

Who is paying for this?

Retirees 

4 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Retirees 

...In aged care facilities and their surviving children when they on-sell their late parents apartment .

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

...In aged care facilities and their surviving children when they on-sell their late parents apartment .

100% correct

3 hours ago, PIL66 said:

100% correct

Looking forward to a future Royal Commission into that "industry". 

• Like 2

Scally's not the only one training hard

www.facebook.com/kylelangfordaus/videos/1802805449757194/

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

Lets face it. Doesn't matter how hard you train you aint gunna beat the big Indian in those conditions. Unless off course you park up in the Derwent after VMG running for extended periods. Wild Oats will be looking to win a race and have no visits to the protest room. Scallywag has the potential to upset someone and would be good to see them do well after their Volvo tragedy. ...

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Lets face it. Doesn't matter how hard you train you aint gunna beat the big Indian in those conditions. Unless off course you park up in the Derwent after VMG running for extended periods. Wild Oats will be looking to win a race and have no visits to the protest room. Scallywag has the potential to upset someone and would be good to see them do well after their Volvo tragedy. ...

It is a pretty interesting betting book this year.

The light brigade favorites being BJ who hopefuly have learnt from last years debacle and Scally with a new keel, some experience on board now and Witty having maybe grown a set of ears to listen on the track to take. Navigators is probably the difference between those two, I therefore fancy BJ based on S2H track experience.

The middle is owned by WOXI and a boat set up for this race so well it could be winning it in another decade "as is" where Richo is in Bobs Hammo chair and the Big Fella suffering dementia says they take the rounding mark to port and head north. We saw signs of that diminishing skill set inside the Heads last year where they thought WOXI rules prevailed over the Rules. Probably a bit harsh but time they pensioned off a few on board to max potential, their DNF's the last few outings underpin that thought something is missing. Will always be in the right spot having a Nav on board like Villa.

The fresh end is owned by the Big Indian who needs it to compensate for the extra miles it has to sail particularly if it has more north in it like last year which was a bit of an aberation and quite brilliant Nav work to get to the corner first. The upside for them now is more training to more than compensate for the big dicks Clark/Kenny just paid for and a more moderate friendly set up now with hydraulic controls and things like a furling J1. Honey also doesn't make runway mistakes.

It is a good race to punt on for Line Honours as the bookies always short WOXI regardless and are pretty slow to responding to weather forecasts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PIL66 said:

Will you be posting from the big Indian? 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:46 PM, SCANAS said:

Will you be posting from the big Indian? 

No I won't... My only chance is if Maserati gets chartered..... The Indian is a pro deal and sadly for me, those days are gone however once the CY approves multis this month, I will enter my new boat in the short handed division ..... mostly.

• Like 1

Anyone else doing the Newcastle / Bird Is race this weekend? If so, what on? Forecast is for a reasonable quick one at this stage. Keen to hear tactical nav options/theories! 

33 minutes ago, Couta said:

Anyone else doing the Newcastle / Bird Is race this weekend? If so, what on? Forecast is for a reasonable quick one at this stage. Keen to hear tactical nav options/theories! 

Yeah...that'd be Bass Island....

49 minutes ago, Couta said:

turn left first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Couta said:

Best nav option would look to be staying dow stairs keeping the pencils sharp!

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, Couta said:

Keep going south when you reach bird island. Forecast looks good, lots of reaching

11 hours ago, Next Level said:

Doesn’t he own a TP and which is also going south?

Skippered by Matthew Short. Not a bad collection anyway! TP52 & A classic. Why didn’t he buy Checkmate off Ray? 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Skippered by Matthew Short. Not a bad collection anyway! TP52 & A classic. Why didn’t he buy Checkmate off Ray? 

I understand from one of the crew that Spies is no longer involved in the TP52, it's Matt Short's now, I think Ian has a stake too as he previously co-owned it with Spiesy.

It will be great to see Mark Twain off to Hobart again. She has 25 or more under her keel already I think. Never sailed on her but learnt how to winch hitch from one of her crew - there are no cleats or clutches.

I had a bo peep at her on the way back from Hobart in 2004 I think it was. A lot of history with her. She’s crampt downstairs though. Not a lot of room for activities that’s for sure. 

I did the 1972 World One Ton Cup in Sydney on Dark Stain. Jock Sturrock, Skipper and all the Melbourne heavies. At that time those old S&S boats could sure go upwind. I guess Spiesie is chasing the age allowance dream..will it work? weather dependent Im guessing.

8 hours ago, Grogo said:

I did the 1972 World One Ton Cup in Sydney on Dark Stain. Jock Sturrock, Skipper and all the Melbourne heavies. At that time those old S&S boats could sure go upwind. I guess Spiesie is chasing the age allowance dream..will it work? weather dependent Im guessing.

Grogo 

yes the age  allowance will help. The thing is if you look and the weather for the last few years it’s been a dream run. We must be due for a major southerly buster this year and a up wind boat not a back choice. 

Pulpit  

On 10/12/2018 at 11:24 AM, DickDastardly said:

I understand from one of the crew that Spies is no longer involved in the TP52, it's Matt Short's now, I think Ian has a stake too as he previously co-owned it with Spiesy.

Ian and Mick Stuarts boat (Used to sail with the southern gang on Andrew Shorts boats)... not sure Matt has a stake

On 10/14/2018 at 12:50 AM, pulpit said:

We must be due for a major southerly buster this year...

A 20 year reunion would not be good.

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

Ian and Mick Stuarts boat (Used to sail with the southern gang on Andrew Shorts boats)... not sure Matt has a stake

NFI - only know what Ian's offsider told me ... Matt's name shows up on the entry list.  I know he adored the previous TP52 he had.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

NFI - only know what Ian's offsider told me ... Matt's name shows up on the entry list.  I know he adored the previous TP52 he had.

FWI (and you probably know)The Matt Short that is showing on entries is Ian's Shorts son not his brother.