bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

6 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

Hobart qualifier Melb - Stanley is on this weekend. 

https://www.orcv.org.au/stanley-yachts

Mrs is off to Stanley on J/133 Patriot as their Hobart qualifier. If the predicted weather holds it should be a fast but wet ride there, not so flash for the trip home, but then it wouldn't be Bass Strait if you didn't cop it one way or the other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Mrs is off to Stanley on J/133 Patriot as their Hobart qualifier. If the predicted weather holds it should be a fast but wet ride there, not so flash for the trip home, but then it wouldn't be Bass Strait if you didn't cop it one way or the other.

looks like a 2-sail firehose - race record could be under threat....don't think i'll be eating too much, but at least we should arrive while the band is still playing

9 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

looks like a 2-sail firehose - race record could be under threat....don't think i'll be eating too much, but at least we should arrive while the band is still playing

Someones going to be eating plenty, my fridge is full of Patriots food and there are shopping bags all over my lounge room. Looks like they're setting up a floating restaurant! The reaching struts gonna get a good workout on that sleigh ride!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

So Ray Roberts has completed repairs on the IRC 55 and it's entered.

Yeah she’s in Sydney today getting her keel on all white now. 

8999EB4F-FC1F-43F1-92FA-421FA344FDD5.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Someones going to be eating plenty, my fridge is full of Patriots food and there are shopping bags all over my lounge room. Looks like they're setting up a floating restaurant! The reaching struts gonna get a good workout on that sleigh ride!

...so...SC...the bro gets to hoe into the chow on a sleigh ride to the Nut....and I get to do a thousand tacks, gybes, peels, sets and reefs....dining on muesli bars.. as part of our "55Hrs of pain" training session off Sydney......hmmm...suddenly Bass Strait looks like the good option! ;-)

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 9:47 AM, PIL66 said:

Dtm... As my crew, you will enter the port hull and I'll enter the starboard

Any weather forecasts...???    Prediction: Time for a cracker on the shnoz... it's been a while.

We've come a long way since '66 (from the MYCQ fb page) No automatic alt text available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill E Goat said:

Would have been 3rd over the line.  Must have been a glass out, Fidelis finished 18 hours ahead of Balandra

image.thumb.png.bb58d4955363e9169814dbdceee8c8dc.png

Yep 3rd

45221849_10156145489209926_3991219091338690560_n (1).jpg

16 hours ago, Couta said:

...so...SC...the bro gets to hoe into the chow on a sleigh ride to the Nut....and I get to do a thousand tacks, gybes, peels, sets and reefs....dining on muesli bars.. as part of our "55Hrs of pain" training session off Sydney......hmmm...suddenly Bass Strait looks like the good option! ;-)

Good option Couta? Have you seen the forecast? They'll have a bit on I reckon.

Have fun doing that Voodoo that you do, so well. Regards to the lads.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

We've come a long way since '66 (from the MYCQ fb page) No automatic alt text available.

1996 kicked off what was to be not a good year or years for multi's or their designers attached to those four boats in that race.

The following year Bandersnatch went on to be lost south of Sydney. Four men one of them Bruce Crowther, the younger brother of Lock Crowther her designer and his first offshore multi.

In 1966 Nicol co designer (Hedley Nicol) of Banyandah was lost in the east of Brisbane with two others on one of his creations. Earlier that year the Hedley Nicol-designed trimaran Vagabond washed ashore near Fraser Island minus it's two crew. That obviously didn't deter him.

Arther Piver co designer of Viva and arguably the designer with the worst history of designs being lost at sea, was he himself lost off California in 1968.

I have no idea who designed Dreio but would be surprised if not Piver or Nicol.

This heralded in the beginning and the end of the multi in the S2H with calls even for them to be banned fullstop. I have been offshore in a Piver in a decent breaze from that era and can assure you I will never repeat that plywood of death experience.

I was aware of the fate of those mentioned above, didn't realise that 1966 was the common factor. Must've had something to do with transition from pound to dollar!  Can't say I blame you re the Piver experience, they do look horrible, and to segue to another thread, I'm amazed at the skill/luck of (I think it was) Tetley to make it as far as he did!

Plenty of Pivers and Crowthers successfully sailed through cyclonic conditions in early Gladstone races. Shit happens. If you got a Piver through Cat1 with all the same equipment & prep of a typical team in 2018 I’m sure you’d get to Hobart 8/10 times with no deaths. 

11 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Plenty of Pivers and Crowthers successfully sailed through cyclonic conditions in early Gladstone races.

I’m sure you’d get to Hobart 8/10 times with no deaths.

Name 2...and interesting statistic Scan. Of say each 10 entered, any tips on picking the 2 to avoid???

@duncan (the other one) mate now that you have pulled apart the makings your SMH library/mattress, scanned it and posted here, I hope you have somewhere comfortable to lay down on tonite.  :-)

On a serious note to you being the Oracle (or anyone here), I recall being told that in the late 60's there was talk in the corridors of Canberra of a blanket ban on tri's, such was the level of the public's and or the mono design & build industry's concern? No idea if true or not.

In a slight defense of Piver - they were almost all back yard built with usually a very slim budget and no prior knowledge of how to build a boat. While working in Hawaii, where we seemed to get all the homebuilds as they tried to make to the South Pacific of their dreams, many of these (various designers/build materials) came to thier final resting place in Keehi lagoon. Many comments were heard about how each had "improved' the design based on some flash of revelation. Most involved changing the basic build scantlings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

@duncan (the other one) mate now that you have pulled apart the makings your SMH library/mattress, scanned it and posted here, I hope you have somewhere comfortable to lay down on tonite.  :-)

On a serious note to you being the Oracle (or anyone here), I recall being told that in the late 60's there was talk in the corridors of Canberra of a blanket ban on tri's, such was the level of the public's and or the mono design & build industry's concern? No idea if true or not.

go at it: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=multihull race

10 hours ago, longy said:

In a slight defense of Piver - they were almost all back yard built with usually a very slim budget and no prior knowledge of how to build a boat. While working in Hawaii, where we seemed to get all the homebuilds as they tried to make to the South Pacific of their dreams, many of these (various designers/build materials) came to thier final resting place in Keehi lagoon.

One crowd who made it across the pond.

Using @duncan (the other one) linky extract from April 1968 Australian Women's Weekly about a young San Fransisco couple Ann and Marvin Glenn who landed in Sydney in their homebuilt 35' Tri.

We bought the plans for a 35ft trimaran designed by Arthur Piver and began the long job of building Rebel. I was so much involved by now that, once it was explained to me, it seemed perfectly logical that the frames for the main hull should be built on the living-room rug. Building the boat wasn't really so hard. I compared it to following directions on a dressmaking pattern, one step at a time, in the proper sequence; only the end result was our boat, not a dress. Marv did all the hard jobs like sawing and sanding, and I did the fun ones. Mixing the powdered glue wasn't too different from making gravy; it even looked like gravy when it was done!

They then sailed from Sydney to New Zealand where the husband subsequently did the inaugural solo Trans Tasman Race to Mooloolaba in 1970 in their tri winning it. 

That was the last record I could find of their adventures other than reference to their running a 50' charter tri in the Caribbean in the 1980's in a Cruising World advert. 

They survived the Piver curse. 

10 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Thanks Dunc what a great press resource. 

I found little reference to proposed government intervention banning multi's other than those very opposed to multi's being very vocal.

For instance following Bandersnatch's loss with all crew the vice-commodore of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, Stan Gibson, is reported as saying "trimarans be forbidden to go to sea at all" and then echos of that being "there ought to be a law!" It seems opinions were mixed. Mono designers thought she broke up because of poor design while Crowther himself thought his boat that his brother was on, collided with a surfaced whale, a reasonable explanation when one was found wallowing near the wreckage with a gash in its head.

Multi's since those days continue to produce lots of fodder for the sceptics, probably non weirder than the case in the late 90's of the NZ multi Rose-Noelle.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm%3Fc_id%3D1%26objectid%3D10600306&ved=2ahUKEwi-iL6hxLfeAhVCQH0KHf8cA1wQFjAYegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1MQdcb1WrA90mavWFWh6m1

Views in Australian circles back then were probably also guided by the US experience of multi haters. The multi crowd started their own Transpac in 1964 exclusively for multihulls. However only three showed up to the first one, there was only one finisher and where the other two dropped out with fractured hulls within the first 48 hours. The press was then littered with traditionalists shouting "We told you so," urging their banning.

http://www.outriggercanoeclubsports.com/ocean-sports/sailing/multihull-transpacific-yacht-race/

The interesting thing is the French ignored this multi/mono shit fight and no better exemplified by Eric Tabarly, arriving at the 1968 solo Trans Atlantic OSTAR (organised by the Brits and who supported multi's) in his big 70' aluminium Pen Duick IV. Ironicaly he collided with a cargo ship and had to sail back to England and that was the very same race Piver was getting ready for when lost. Tabalay's tri won the 1972 OSTAR with Alain Colas, and was lost at sea with Colas during the first “Route du Rhum” transatlantic solo race in 1978.

I recall Tabarly credited (alongside Moitessier who in same year in 1968 set off on the Golden Globe Race with two Pivers, one the first multi around the Horn) with what the French scene is today saying that he has never had any concerns about multi's structuraly and incidents were solely caused by those who sail them not knowing when to take the foot off the gas or if so doing it too late.

There might be an argument that this very opposition to Multi's in Australasia and the USA 50 years ago and still around for the grey haired brigade today, gave the French a consequential leg up to now dominating long distance multi and mono short-handed sailing. 

images (81).jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Pil,  these pricks are trying to get our entry thrown out.  Bastards.

3 hours ago, longy said:

They followed the plans exactly

They also after first building of bits in their living room then going outside the kitchen window to finish their Piver IKEA piece off. When completed with the help of neighbours and friends they took it to the beach and man handled it through the surf. They anchored it with no rig off the beach that night and slept on board. She was from Texas and discovered that night she got seasick, something that never went away.

I'm not sure their Piver experience differs  that much from many of that era. Then again Donald Crowhurst did the same thing in his1968 Piver, but it didn't quite work out that well for him.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:31 PM, DtM said:

Hey Pil,  these pricks are trying to get our entry thrown out.  Bastards.

I know..... We won't be deterred ....

I should never have lit that fuse....

Any forecasts...?

Speaking of old multi's and the on going opposition to Multi's in this race ignoring what people may or may not want.

Loïck Peyron is around 60 yo with a RtW and offshore  record as long as your arm. For the last two Route du Rhum's incl the one that started yesterday he is on his 31' 36 year old Tri called "Happy". 

Happy is sistership to Olympus Photo, in which bizzare as it sounds, a Canadian won the first Route du Rhum in 1978. More bizzare Malinovsky in the 70' mono Kriter was expected to win, but losing by a couple of minutes to this 31' tri. The astonishing win no doubt cemented France's enduring fascinating with multihulls. Also probably cemented CYC's opposition to them.

Yesterday the race start was live on French TV for 2 hours or so. BTW Peyron and Happy got as much coverage, if not more than the leading big tri's, IMOCA 60's and Class 40's.

3 hours ago, PIL66 said:

I know..... We won't be deterred ....

I should never have lit that fuse....

Any forecasts...?

Howling and dusty Pil

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 6:13 PM, Couta said:

Stanley Race for 2018 run, done and won in pretty vigorous Bass Strait conditions by the mighty J/133 Patriot which remains unbeaten under IRC (or AMS for that matter) in Vic offshore events this season.  How's the Voodoo pain session going Couta? 

• Like 1

Besides the multis, interesting things I've noticed in the entry list,

Wouter on Alive

Hollywood back in action

Bouwe and Capey on Infotrack

Only 1 Ichi Ban entered with Will Oxley on board

Comanche and Maserati entered

WOX and XI having another crack

Also I checked the forecast and there's a good chance of a north southerly with some east and west in it and gusts may be 40% stronger. 

On 11/5/2018 at 5:34 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

Stanley Race for 2018 run, done and won in pretty vigorous Bass Strait conditions by the mighty J/133 Patriot which remains unbeaten under IRC (or AMS for that matter) in Vic offshore events this season.  How's the Voodoo pain session going Couta? 

Yep, the pain was worth it.   I think.....  Catering was top notch

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Checked said:

Wouter on Alive

Hollywood back in action

Also I checked the forecast and there's a good chance of a north southerly with some east and west in it and gusts may be 40% stronger. 

Any chance of waves?

So the annual Voodoo Physics Challenge has begun.

Do you have AVS or not.

So in my part of the world no one has passed yet, even boats that previously made it easily but now cannot duplicate past results going back 15 years.

Problem somewhere?

The starter list could be getting shorter.

15 hours ago, Checked said:

Wouter on Alive

Hollywood back in action

WOX going with all female crew this year 

The Voodoo croo put in a few days of intensive sail cross-over testing - heading up & down the coast - all good. Comanche was also out there putting in the hours....testing their down range sail combo's in the fog on Monday....

Tricky looking Cabbage Tree race 1900 tomorrow, qualifier for rshyr...

Funny trough over some of the course at start + 14 hours approx.

Really? This is 2018 and that's the tracker we get for the Cabbage Tree Island race? What a crock of shit it is.

1 hour ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Really? This is 2018 and that's the tracker we get for the Cabbage Tree Island race? What a crock of shit it is.

don't worry - its the same crock of shit its been for about ten years.

At least they've bothered to pony up for the yellow bricks this year...

Here comes the slow down but C’s lead looks pretty good. 

Comanche  finishes and Oats 18 Miles behind..! BJ retired not sure why? Ichi Ban on fire as usual

• Black Jack - retired - crew injury (broken finger)
  • Enigma - retired - crew injured (wrist).
  • Noahs II - retired - gear failure
  • Sticky - retired - broken lifeline 
  • Winning Appliances - retired - gear breakage
  • Yarrandi - retired - steering damage

Hmmm...just saw the x-ray of the injury on BJ...one finger missing...second one broken/dislocated...on right hand...very nasty injury!

25 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shit that is not good. Amateur or pro? Either way the poor bugger has a life of fingerless glove jokes to endure.

Sounds painful!

A mate of mine lost the top of his finger  when a ski rope took up tension. 10yrs later I still ask him to give me 4 and half. He fucking hates it! 

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shit that is not good. Amateur or pro? Either way the poor bugger has a life of fingerless glove jokes to endure.

Seen that happen a few times despite warnings. Was on a well known Mini Maxi in Melbourne one day and and a boat novice grabbed a main sheet leading into the block during a tack and lost all 4 fingers. They couldn't re-attach them. Sucks as the owner didn't give anyone a tour and warning of what not to touch.! Boats like BJ have massive loads one mistake is all it takes. Accidents happen, shit happens I'm told......

Big win for Comanche they have been training hard and to win by 90 minutes over Oats is a job well done.....

Just now, hoppy said:

My cousin got drunk at a birthday party at the Melbourne zoo and decided that climbing a fence to get right up to the lion cage and patting a lion was a good idea. He lost the tip of his finger and got interviewed on the tv news from hospital.

Did the lion take the tip?

I was managing a guy, who despite  proper training & a team of guys who did maintenance, decided he would stand on a wheelie bin to re rig a chain on a roller door. He lost most of his finger & spent the next year suing the company. He didn’t get anything, he did get rear ended in a company car not long after but it wasn’t his fault. He did get $50k for that one & god knows what the lawyers got! 

2 & a half in the pink .... Too early? 

Poor bloke. Hope he’ll be ok, seriously. 

57 minutes ago, Couta said:

IMG-20181110-WA0000001.jpg

No room for jokes here...this is a serious injury.

Shit. Hopefully some sort of insurance as. If you read a policy,  a digit is worth a few bob

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

My cousin got drunk at a birthday party at the Melbourne zoo and decided that climbing a fence to get right up to the lion cage and patting a lion was a good idea. He lost the tip of his finger and got interviewed on the tv news from hospital.

Your absence of a sailboat analogy or concern and so launch into some my cousin, zoo, lion and fence shit probably shouldn't surprise. You really are an annoying little daysailor cunt desperately seeking something. Try Susan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

and you are just a know it all cunt who is too gutless to reveal who you are.

Coward, fucking coward.

Hoppy a tip. There is a book titled "How to engage ones brain and ears before mouth" The author is held in very high and wide regard, but anonymous though like many writings.

But my guess that anonymous and informative style is not to your liking, say like the really puny guy with no teeth who wrote  "Hey cunt a mistake should be your teacher, not your attacker". Then again it was tattooed on his chest and no one was game enough to ask his real name in prison.

You really need to get out more mate, though that won't change the unfortunate fact that you are really not very bright.

So a work accident maybe under a Qld Worksafe policy with injury occurring out of jurisdiction.

Interesting!

1 hour ago, lydia said:

So a work accident maybe under a Qld Worksafe policy with injury occurring out of jurisdiction.

Interesting!

It will all be covered by the insurance that Sailing Australia (or whatever they are called this week) has for all members...

Some lawyers will earn some $$$ sorting it out

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Interesting!

Lydia if pro surely no different than transport sector, business traveller etc?

37 minutes ago, hoppy said:

If you stuck to an "anonymous and informative style" of writing, then your identity would not matter.

Thanks for the tip. I will know not to pull up short next time.

25 minutes ago, Rushman said:

It will all be covered by the insurance that Sailing Australia (or whatever they are called this week) has for all members...

Some lawyers will earn some $$$ sorting it out

it certainly ain't much...http://www.networksteadfast.com.au/industries-and-associations/sailing/personal-injury-australian-sailing-members-insurance/

I work it out to be $500 for a broken finger (10% of $5000), and I can't work out what permanent disability #'s are from the documents.

.. plus the usual disclaimer: "who otherwise have not received assistance.".  So workcover may take precedence.

EDIT: The previous policy had a one-joint finger loss at 5% of death benefit.  ie: $5k.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks for the tip. I will know not to pull up short next time.

NEVER pull out buddy , you know that !

It was out in the mist last Monday with the Big Indian and ourselves....it didn't look as pretty as these pictures....there's been some boat graphics added that ....detracted!

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

You can see some of the graphics on the A80 page https://www.advancedyachts.it/a80-2/ but they have been photoshopped  out on most photos.

Pretty tacky looking.  

ADVANCE-80_00137-640x300.jpg

Looks nice after the PS job. Clearly money can't buy good taste.

image.jpg?k=83e0&w=1410&h=740&q=90&o=c

The twin massage tables in the cockpit are a nice touch

11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Looks pretty uncomfortable down below.

advanceda80_modella2.jpg

I’ll bet that in a seaway the crew will be begging for handholds... 

• Like 1

I'd have to say from a Cat 4 point of view it doesn't pass the hand hold test...

• Like 1

Best viewing you’ll ever see is when the crew work out that the downstairs crab walk is the best method in a sea!

It's doomed.  Offset companionway.

21 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

I can guess the nick-name that boat's gonna get..

I can smell it in my urine already 

5ab933c31f0000270616b817.jpeg

So I finally decided to catch up on the SH news, and read this thread from start to finish this afternoon.

Am I understanding correctly that @Couta asked for advice here, liked what he heard, bought Limit based on that, and now has her (now Voodoo) home from San Diego and ready for SH18?

If so, that boat really ought to have a Sailing Anarchy logo somewhere conspicuous.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

So I finally decided to catch up on the SH news, and read this thread from start to finish this afternoon.

Am I understanding correctly that @Couta asked for advice here, liked what he heard, bought Limit based on that, and now has her (now Voodoo) home from San Diego and ready for SH18?

If so, that boat really ought to have a Sailing Anarchy logo somewhere conspicuous.

I think you will find Couta is just one of the lackeys, not an owner.

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2018/voodoo/ 

Pulling together some talent on that boat for Hobart from what I hear. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

A nice RP lineup to keep an eye on of Voodoo a 63' and 2 x 66' in Alive and WOX. 

And an RP 40 in Chutzpah.

38 minutes ago, resist said:

And a 56 in Naval Services (Moneypenny), a 51 in Primitive Cool, a 46 in Hartbreaker

Naval is 65 feet.