bigrpowr

Sydney To Hobart 2018

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

That is refreshing... I hope it lasts as in this day and age it seems to be pros before bros..... but that's the nature of how yachting is progressing in Sydney lately (we are a little behind the rest of the world on the pro sailing thing... meaning many Aussies have had to travel to be a pro)....

Couta... please be ready with a camera to post pics of Box Heads first shit off the back rail.... It's tradition and quite memorable for those that have had the pleasure.....His outfit will be stunning...

Are you getting a run on the Maserati charter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Are you getting a run on the Maserati charter?

Yes if it were to happen but is not .... The V70 is staying home.... might go for a run home on the the big Indian...  Or go Adventure riding.... or Catamaraning ....... nice to have 1st world options.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Yes if it were to happen but is not .... The V70 is staying home.... might go for a run home on the the big Indian...  Or go Adventure riding.... or Catamaraning ....... nice to have 1st world options.....

Sounds like some great choices..! Lucky bugger.......:unsure:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Yes if it were to happen but is not .... The V70 is staying home.... might go for a run home on the the big Indian...  Or go Adventure riding.... or Catamaraning ....... nice to have 1st world options.....

I might have a spare seat on the Pittwater to Paradise if you're bored Pil.

Poor old Scanas 'll be passed out in a gutter in full foulies when we're in boardies trying to keep up with the sunscreen :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Couta said:

...Voodoo owner Hugh Ellis has put together a great campaign with the "right" attitude....a little bit of 'Ol Skool' might be the magic....stay tuned!

Mate the 3 of you going head to head on nearly the same bits of RP60'+ plastic but the POB's so different will be a really great watch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PIL66 said:

That is refreshing... I hope it lasts as in this day and age it seems to be pros before bros..... but that's the nature of how yachting is progressing in Sydney lately (we are a little behind the rest of the world on the pro sailing thing... meaning many Aussies have had to travel to be a pro)....

Couta... please be ready with a camera to post pics of Box Heads first shit off the back rail.... It's tradition and quite memorable for those that have had the pleasure.....His outfit will be stunning...

Pil66....Box is banned from anywhere but the back rail! He's done unspeakable "head" damage requiring hazmat suits and "danger money" for others to remedy. The good news is that, given his  avoidance of dietary fibre, his propensity for constipation and any kind of favourable weather forecast, we might be saved from the public display! Posterity's loss is our gain! (and I already have a collection of his more memorable "moments"!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Couta said:

Pil66....Box is banned from anywhere but the back rail! He's done unspeakable "head" damage requiring hazmat suits and "danger money" for others to remedy. The good news is that, given his  avoidance of dietary fibre, his propensity for constipation and any kind of favourable weather forecast, we might be saved from the public display! Posterity's loss is our gain! (and I already have a collection of his more memorable "moments"!)

GOLD...! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Couta said:

The good news is that, given his  avoidance of dietary fibre

WTF..... Are you telling me there is no fibre in Rum and green cans of lunch (VB)....?  If this is indeed true, don't tell Box..... seems me and him have had it wrong all these years.

I'll bet Lucas is a chip off the old Box... I mean Block...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

I might have a spare seat on the Pittwater to Paradise if you're bored Pil.

Poor old Scanas 'll be passed out in a gutter in full foulies when we're in boardies trying to keep up with the sunscreen :)

 

And for the second time..... thank you Shaggy most kind as usual... I will save that rain check for a Gladstone one year...

Here is a sneak peak at my Hobart prep for next year......

https://www.facebook.com/kristy.edwards.12177/videos/10218238936984670/UzpfSTYzOTQwNjY0MToxMDE1NTUyMTI3OTkyMTY0Mg/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

And for the second time..... thank you Shaggy most kind as usual... I will save that rain check for a Gladstone one year...

Here is a sneak peak at my Hobart prep for next year......

https://www.facebook.com/kristy.edwards.12177/videos/10218238936984670/UzpfSTYzOTQwNjY0MToxMDE1NTUyMTI3OTkyMTY0Mg/

No probs bud. 

Eeek. No linky?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a SH message the S2H RC might hear one day and hats off to @Rail Meat 

Finished yesterday in Guadeloupe one of 50 odd jockeys (predominantly French) on Class 40's (total race fleet around 120) that crossed the start line in Saint-Malo 3 weeks ago in the 40th anniversary of the Route du Rhum.

Was supposed to be there 4 years ago but busted his boat in lead up, instead of him trying to match current generation boat to boat with BS, took a shortcut west into shitty Nth Atlantic weather that murdered quite a few big names, got belted, through the parking lot into the Trades and finished 12th.

An aging, well fed American in a relatively old boat just set a great example that "convention is there to be broken".

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

WTF..... Are you telling me there is no fibre in Rum and green cans of lunch (VB)....?  If this is indeed true, don't tell Box..... seems me and him have had it wrong all these years.

I'll bet Lucas is a chip off the old Box... I mean Block...

Lucas aka "Migaloo" is a legend in the making...seriously a "a man before his time". Did is "apprenticeship" sailing the boat all the way back from San Diego to Oz...celebrating his 18th BD in style with both a tahititan AND a fijian princess en route(!) He's one to watch carefully...for all the right reasons!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe a SH message the S2H RC might hear one day and hats off to @Rail Meat 

Finished yesterday in Guadeloupe one of 50 odd jockeys (predominantly French) on Class 40's (total race fleet around 120) that crossed the start line in Saint-Malo 3 weeks ago in the 40th anniversary of the Route du Rhum.

Was supposed to be there 4 years ago but busted his boat in lead up, instead of him trying to match current generation boat to boat with BS, took a shortcut west into shitty Nth Atlantic weather that murdered quite a few big names, got belted, through the parking lot into the Trades and finished 12th.

An aging, well fed American in a relatively old boat just set a great example that "convention is there to be broken".

 

So thrilled for Rail Meat on this.... He has been a great contributor around here for a long time.... Huge effort to be competitive in this field.... Bravo 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Couta said:

Lucas aka "Migaloo" is a legend in the making...seriously a "a man before his time". Did is "apprenticeship" sailing the boat all the way back from San Diego to Oz...celebrating his 18th BD in style with both a tahititan AND a fijian princess en route(!) He's one to watch carefully...for all the right reasons!

Lucas started pretty green on the J/133 a couple of years ago but impressed us all with how quickly he came to grips with it. Great that he has had opportunities to show his stuff. I guess what happens on the boat stays on the boat in the Box household. 

On another note, one of the greatest developments in yacht design has been the move by designers away from sloping transoms. They must have had Box and his defecatory technique in mind. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ SC you are so right....with "LR" as "Bow mentor" he was in good hands. And re: sloping transoms....you wouldn't want to see Box on an Adams of any description! (and don't even think of "Sugar Scoops"!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe a SH message the S2H RC might hear one day and hats off to @Rail Meat 

Finished yesterday in Guadeloupe one of 50 odd jockeys (predominantly French) on Class 40's (total race fleet around 120) that crossed the start line in Saint-Malo 3 weeks ago in the 40th anniversary of the Route du Rhum.

Was supposed to be there 4 years ago but busted his boat in lead up, instead of him trying to match current generation boat to boat with BS, took a shortcut west into shitty Nth Atlantic weather that murdered quite a few big names, got belted, through the parking lot into the Trades and finished 12th.

An aging, well fed American in a relatively old boat just set a great example that "convention is there to be broken".

 

What design is his ride?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

What design is his ride?

It's a 2008 Owen Clarke Class 40

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PIL66 said:

So thrilled for Rail Meat on this.... He has been a great contributor around here for a long time.... Huge effort to be competitive in this field.... Bravo 

His emotions at the end speak a thousand words..! Mountain of an effort on a 40 footer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

His emotions at the end speak a thousand words..! Mountain of an effort on a 40 footer. 

 

6 hours ago, PIL66 said:

So thrilled for Rail Meat on this.... He has been a great contributor around here for a long time.... Huge effort to be competitive in this field.... Bravo 

Terra and Pilly I was worried RM would finish after dark and he could only see two pairs of dentures beside him sprouting French and that was all :-)

I'm putting @Rail Meat on a similiar "hero" platform to Mike Plant who energised SH offshore sailing in the US 3 decades ago. My guess is until SH sailing extends beyond France and diversifies it is going nowhere and may even die a death if one thinks of where dominant species end up.

That would be a tragedy and the S2H RC by insisting on exclusion of SH is simply assisting that potential extinction. That might be understandble if offshore fleet numbers like in the S2H were going gangbusters but they are not, particularly after accounting for population increase and accessibility factors etc. That said Offshore Sailing is not special, a mainstream sport like Rugby Union is falling apart in Australia.

Cost is always the excuse. The reality is the cost of campaigning a offshore racing boat in the 1970/80's is not much different than today, maybe even less in real terms, only cost apportionment and expectation has changed. Like it was cheaper to do a package Bali return/ 14 days there than catch a one way plane ticket out of Hobart in the 70's.

Today breaking the cost myth no better example is @Coutaand his Voodoo program getting a 60'+ plus to the line using a competitive but economical approach, a LOA which was in LH contention pre the 100 footers and weather depending could even scare the fuck out of them today. Jack Rooklyn would die in his grave again thinking that is all it took to spend now to be at the pointy end.

Offshore sailing is a sport on the decline but no one wants to own up to that outside France and ask the question why? It is the fuckin elephant in the room.

Sorry about the rant.. maybe seeing RM finish and the Wallabies get belted by England at the same time yesterday has upset my clock. If it was France doing the belting I probably would not have blinked, but wondered why they budgeted to run on 15 men not  just use 1 SH??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe a SH message the S2H RC might hear one day and hats off to @Rail Meat 

Finished yesterday in Guadeloupe one of 50 odd jockeys (predominantly French) on Class 40's (total race fleet around 120) that crossed the start line in Saint-Malo 3 weeks ago in the 40th anniversary of the Route du Rhum.

Was supposed to be there 4 years ago but busted his boat in lead up, instead of him trying to match current generation boat to boat with BS, took a shortcut west into shitty Nth Atlantic weather that murdered quite a few big names, got belted, through the parking lot into the Trades and finished 12th.

An aging, well fed American in a relatively old boat just set a great example that "convention is there to be broken".

 

Ooh. Wet stuff is running from my eyes from watching this. Can’t imagine how emotional it must be to finish such a long race. Well done, Railmeat! 

Now I’m waiting for my personal favorite class 40 to finish! Mister Ryking from Sweden. What a real macgyver, he’s repaired everything you can imagine during this race. I’m so impressed by these guys. It’s like doing a Volvo SH, almost. 

Edit: yes, I know there are longer solo races. Still impressed ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 3:32 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Actually its not. Mate my guess is the majority of girls on that boat would have you for breakfast.

That sounds like a whole lot of fun ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 4:53 PM, shaggybaxter said:

I like a mixed crew. I had 7 crew last night including me, 4 guys and 3 girls, with me essentially be so drug addled I couldn't do much at all, so a 50/50 team sailed the boat. And they did really well. 

2 of the girls are ex-owners, the other is an ex-pro basketballer newby. They're all excellent company and after taking into account the normal newby's bewilderment, they're the first to grab a winch handle, get pummeled, get down on the low side and trim that extra inch. The dynamic between the guys and girls is excellent.

But it is true if I have more guys we sail differently. There is a noticeable lift in the musclepower available, and using that muscle shows up in the results. Simply, we're faster. 

This doesn't mean I want to sail with an all male crew to guarantee success. It means I need to put more training in with the crew to bring them up to that level where a fluid process and seamless teamwork offsets the amount of muscle required.

Having said that, at the pro level I don't know if that holds water, the girls aren't lacking in horsepower. A Sophie, Stacy or Liz are as fit as mallee bulls and easily put most of us to shame in that dept.

So mixed crews? Personally I love it, and I think the sport is so much the better for it. Ticks every box for me.    

But the way I see Stacy's capmpaign, it's investing in ways to promote/get/maintain women in the sport. I'm a fan. I get they may have to wear a corporate cloak that itches to do it.  

I'm still cheering for Alive though. Duncan Hine is a first rate guy, great crew and I love the boat. Best of luck to 'em all.  

I will not go offshore with an all-male crew - what a bore that is - and, from my perspective, I no longer see the point of all-female crews.  Tracy Edwards put a well-placed fork in that one with Maiden years ago, as did Ellen MacArthur and Florence Arthaud.  Of course women can sail.  

Running a fairly strong program on a biggish boat (older TP-52) with a total crew weight limit of 1,080 kg, I try to put together a mixed crew of about 7-8 boys and 4-5 girls - collectively known as "Hey, you guys".  I find that one or two serious 100 kg power types make the hoists and sail changes go better but for diving below and quick off-the rail stuff an athletic 65kg type gets the job done fast and enthusiastically.  Those two criteria tend to end up on different parts of the gender spectrum.  Trimming, driving and working the bow have no gender bias, just an experience/skill bias.  So the idea is passing around the opportunities.

It's all about fun and mixed crews are way more fun.  

And congrats to Rail Meat.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I will not go offshore with an all-male crew - what a bore that is - and, from my perspective, I no longer see the point of all-female crews.  Tracy Edwards put a well-placed fork in that one with Maiden years ago, as did Ellen MacArthur and Florence Arthaud.  Of course women can sail.  

Running a fairly strong program on a biggish boat (older TP-52) with a total crew weight limit of 1,080 kg, I try to put together a mixed crew of about 7-8 boys and 4-5 girls - collectively known as "Hey, you guys".  I find that one or two serious 100 kg power types make the hoists and sail changes go better but for diving below and quick off-the rail stuff an athletic 65kg type gets the job done fast and enthusiastically.  Those two criteria tend to end up on different parts of the gender spectrum.  Trimming, driving and working the bow have no gender bias, just an experience/skill bias.  So the idea is passing around the opportunities.

It's all about fun and mixed crews are way more fun.  

And congrats to Rail Meat.

This^^^^^^

Fucking hell, it’s slowly starting to sink in. 

A really nice sound to the program, and far more enjoyable for all. Enjoy the sailing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Couta said:

^^^ SC you are so right....with "LR" as "Bow mentor" he was in good hands. And re: sloping transoms....you wouldn't want to see Box on an Adams of any description! (and don't even think of "Sugar Scoops"!)

Box always finds a way... he did on Djuice, Brindas and Shockwave... All had slightly old school sterns

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 9:32 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Actually its not. Mate my guess is the majority of girls on that boat would have you for breakfast.

Spit, or swallow?

Seriously, there is not a weak link in that team but lack of prep time in the boat pre-race will be their shortcoming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Flatbag said:

Spit, or swallow?

Seriously, there is not a weak link in that team but lack of prep time in the boat pre-race will be their shortcoming. 

Have Oats X and Alive raced against each other in a Hobart? Who has the higher rating? Either way it will be interesting to see how the girls on Oats X go boat for boat against Alive and even Voodoo notwithstanding Voodoo is 3 feet shorter and doesn't have the canting keel etc. Throw in Winning Appliances (Ex Ichi ban) and you have a good mix of these size boats. I know Oats X got the better of Alive during the Hammo 2017 series with the Prince chartering the boat but not a lot in it. Interesting to see these boats go head to head. Forgot to include Prospector the Mills 68. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Have Oats X and Alive raced against each other in a Hobart? Who has the higher rating? 

No and WOX rates higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

No and WOX rates higher.

It's a pity the Hobart race site doesn't list the boats ratings. Who are you picking jack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Have Oats X and Alive raced against each other in a Hobart? Who has the higher rating? Either way it will be interesting to see how the girls on Oats X go boat for boat against Alive and even Voodoo notwithstanding Voodoo is 3 feet shorter and doesn't have the canting keel etc. Throw in Winning Appliances (Ex Ichi ban) and you have a good mix of these size boats. I know Oats X got the better of Alive during the Hammo 2017 series with the Prince chartering the boat but not a lot in it. Interesting to see these boats go head to head. Forgot to include Prospector the Mills 68. 

& Langmen’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Who are you picking jack?

Terra I honestly think it is dead heat in average conditions. Everytime you pick strength you find the others each have a corresponding alternate. If forced.. maybe the racing miles Alive have under the belt might be the clincher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Voodoo at 63' in a pretty nice TCC sweet spot of 1.52 versus larger RP66's Alive/WOXI @ 1.58/1.60 and 50+ footers club around 1.35/1.5.

 

 

Agreed Jack, Prospector 1.561 . Winning Appliances (Ex Ichi Ban) 1.494. Naval Group 1.547

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Agreed Jack, Prospector 1.561 . Winning Appliances (Ex Ichi Ban) 1.494. Naval Group 1.547

Keep forgetting about Langman's RP65 ex Moneypenny in the RP 60'+ club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

remember!  there are no stupid questions, only stupid people :)

Err...um...shuffle....ahem....I have this rash??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Keep forgetting about Langman's RP65 ex Moneypenny in the RP 60'+ club.

Yeah Naval Group is one of those STP65's from memory. (Moneypenny)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally I'm excited about watching the 50'ers class, but in this race the 60-69 foot class is going to be captivating. Hands down, the best collection of fast 60s put together since the 2008 Bermuda Race when Rosebud, Blue Yankee, Moneypenny, Numbers and Bella Mente duked it out all the way to Bermuda. Everything since then has been fragile Maxi 72s DNFing when the breeze gets over 25.

Voodoo, Winning Appliances, Naval Group, WOX, Alive, and Prospector. 

The battle of the twin canting R/P 66s is going to be the best part, though my gut says that Alive will take advantage of the years that they've been sailing that boat as a team and be consistently ahead. 

5 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah Naval Group is one of those STP65's from memory. (Moneypenny)

She had a 4 foot stern extension put on her by N/M to try and sort out the pesky R/P  chines issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah just need Chinese Whisper in there - too late. 

How much sailing has langmen been doing on the new boat?

Voodoo & Alive probably the two watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah Naval Group is one of those STP65's from memory. (Moneypenny)

Who is organising the Naval Group charter/team? Just asking out of interest, as I put a bid in for the work, but being Northern Hemisphere based they (sensibly) did not pick us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Potter said:

Who is organising the Naval Group charter/team? Just asking out of interest, as I put a bid in for the work, but being Northern Hemisphere based they (sensibly) did not pick us.

Sean Langman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is big boy sailing but moneyball & Reichel Pugh 60’ really don’t go together. 

I think that belongs to a school teacher / nurse / gardener who mortgages his house to enter a Davo 34’ and takes out his division having spent less than a years pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throw in some Volvo 70's for good measure. They will be faster in some breeze but not necessarily in the light. I think these boats will keep the Jones 70 honest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, Left Shift said:

I will not go offshore with an all-male crew - what a bore that is - and, from my perspective, I no longer see the point of all-female crews.  Tracy Edwards put a well-placed fork in that one with Maiden years ago, as did Ellen MacArthur and Florence Arthaud.  Of course women can sail.  

Running a fairly strong program on a biggish boat (older TP-52) with a total crew weight limit of 1,080 kg, I try to put together a mixed crew of about 7-8 boys and 4-5 girls - collectively known as "Hey, you guys".  I find that one or two serious 100 kg power types make the hoists and sail changes go better but for diving below and quick off-the rail stuff an athletic 65kg type gets the job done fast and enthusiastically.  Those two criteria tend to end up on different parts of the gender spectrum.  Trimming, driving and working the bow have no gender bias, just an experience/skill bias.  So the idea is passing around the opportunities.

It's all about fun and mixed crews are way more fun.  

And congrats to Rail Meat.

^^^^THIS. <3

We have a local 'biggish-boat' owner who won't have women on board.  Stacey and some of the other women would probably kick his 'rockstars' arses...so maybe he just means the women who don't have better fish to fry.

Thankfully, some men have moved on, and are recognising that there's a lot to be said for enthusiasm, reliability, conscientiousness, and smarts.  And sometimes, not coming packaged as a 100kg+ gorilla has its advantages, too.

Go, Wild Oats X!!!!  And all the other women whose value is recognised as sailors...even if they don't have a dick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to see the Jones 70 (Ex Volvo 70 rate lower than the 2 Reichel Pugh's) Here's the ratings faster to slowest in this 60-70 (Couldn't find Maserati)

Oats X - 1.602

Alive - 1.584

Noah's 1.572 (Jones 70)

Prospector - 1.561

Naval Group - 1.547

Voodoo - 1.52

Winning Appliances - 1.494 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah just need Chinese Whisper in there - too late. 

How much sailing has langmen been doing on the new boat?

Voodoo & Alive probably the two watch. 

Don't forget that Voodoo(as Limit) beat Alive(As BJ66) over the line in the 2008 Hobart

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Pill66 reports Maserati not going. 

Cheers, still listed on the Rolex site as an entry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another interesting crew name onboard "Teasing Machine" non other than Jeremie Beyou fresh from his Route Du Rhum . I say fresh as his boat Charal didn't get very far. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Another interesting crew name onboard "Teasing Machine" non other than Jeremie Beyou fresh from his Route Du Rhum . I say fresh as his boat Charal didn't get very far. 

 

That's definitely a boat/program to watch. Fully funded, top design, vastly experienced team. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SPORTSCAR said:

That's definitely a boat/program to watch. Fully funded, top design, vastly experienced team. 

Yeah it's an interesting one. It rates 1.325 and Ichi Ban is 1.395 for example. 2 foot length advantage but will be heavier etc etc. 

 

Teasing Machine.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, newbiesporty said:

Don't forget that Voodoo(as Limit) beat Alive(As BJ66) over the line in the 2008 Hobart

Good memory, good point. Though BJ has always seemed troubled finding the right line down this racetrack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah it's an interesting one. It rates 1.325 and Ichi Ban is 1.395 for example. 2 foot length advantage but will be heavier etc etc. 

 

Teasing Machine.jpg

what a great looking hull .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Another interesting crew name onboard "Teasing Machine" non other than Jeremie Beyou fresh from his Route Du Rhum . I say fresh as his boat Charal didn't get very far. 

 

He is a TM regular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Good memory, good point. Though BJ has always seemed troubled finding the right line down this racetrack.

I guess they should have taken you rather than Tom Addis hey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bfp said:

I guess they should have taken you rather than Tom Addis hey!

I was a decade ago and he has showed up recently to address that issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I was a decade ago and he has showed up recently to address that issue 

Think you might find he was there a decade ago too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

Seriously? Looks a might bit tortured to my eye 

Get thee to an optometrist

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah it's an interesting one. It rates 1.325 and Ichi Ban is 1.395 for example. 2 foot length advantage but will be heavier etc etc. 

 

Teasing Machine.jpg

I may be dreaming, but wasn't Teasing Machine 1 leading the TPs on the water most of the way to Hobart?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

With the boat - vast experience with that beast in the Med, no?

and in Alfa Romeo clothes in 09 win and on top of a couple of WOXI's and a Loyal LH's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be time to have a little think about who your top 3 boats will be on Line Honors and Handicap:

1. Comanche 2. Oats XI . 3 Black Jack  for Line Honors

1. Ichi Ban 2. Teasing Machine 3. Voodoo - Handicap

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

TM very very strong but not a lot of races under her belt even though a year old.

It was the overall winner of the 2017 Transatlantic Race so I picked it as an outsider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were racing with an A13 before, designed by JNYD  and built by Archambault. (sold) : http://fr.bernard-gallay.com/yacht-a-vendre/TEASING-MACHINE-1082

with Aymeric Chapelier (2nd C40 RDR) and still sailing with Mr Laurent Pages, as a navigator (he was Groupama crew member during the VOR campaign victory, and after Brunel Navigator). The actual boat captain was the boat captain from SFS, VOR70 doing MED races with Lionel Péan.

This machine is made for wining IRC titles, look at the prize list ahah of the A13

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

It was the overall winner of the 2017 Transatlantic Race so I picked it as an outsider

Your #2 TM is an outsider? Hate to see a favourite or are you saying Achi already has it?

Racing for couple of weeks in small fleet versus couple of days where the 50/60' competition is red hot maybe not a good guide. That said @Baguette du Fromageis right about osmosis from the A13 program. Pity retirement in MSR put a lid on that appearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hoppy said:

No way, not based on the long term forecast. The big boats will be becalmed in Bass Strait and off Tassie whilst the tail enders a reaching in an easterly and then will have a decent northerly by the time the big boat crews are hitting the booze.

1. BJ 2. WOIX 3, The big C

1. Komatsu Azzuro 2. Chutzpah 3. Midnight Rambler 

 

Ichi Ban will beat Alive, Naval Group, Winning Appliances, Voodoo & WOX to constitution dock and finish 4th on handicap.

Long term forecast..! We're not even into December. LOL Hope it isn't a stupid light race as I think luck comes into it then, or too much luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's about time for a rougher one.... the last two have been reaching/running with good consistent breeze.

I hope it's back to the reaching/running type race for next years anniversary though ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

Nah, downwind is the new normal. Thank you global warming.

Imagine that if it was downwind the whole way every year. We'd have foiling Imoca 60's entered except crewed as double handed. Would make a lot of the boats entered in this years race obsolete. The beauty of this race is it's unpredictability.! Bass Strait doesn't like being conquered......The Derwent likes it's say and Sydney Harbour wants a piece of the action. Bring it on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Imagine that if it was downwind the whole way every year. 

We might even have multihulls!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windy suggesting a slow start for Bird Island this Saturday...with a nice reach home. Sunday training looks like more of the same...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Couta said:

Windy suggesting a slow start for Bird Island this Saturday...with a nice reach home. Sunday training looks like more of the same...

good for the small div 1 boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

good for the small div 1 boats.

Can't get their entry list to work at RPAYC.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Can't get their entry list to work at RPAYC.?

You lost me. in P2P? was there last I looked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately we are overdue for a reality check so a low like last week forming on Xmas day would be good

similar to say 1970 ,1983 and 1994.

as for me I am delivering a an old 30 footer from Brisbane to Hobart for the shinny shitter show and leaving about 13 December so I could slip out of Sydney  few days behind the low as it moves south east 

selfish I know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lydia said:

Unfortunately we are overdue for a reality check so a low like last week forming on Xmas day would be good

similar to say 1970 ,1983 and 1994.

 

I suspect if that happened the start would be delayed these days. 

I think it was 1984.  We went so far offshore we were half way to NZ. 46 of 151 boats finished (and some of those were from Tasmania and had to get home after (sensibly) sheltering in Eden).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rawhide said:

You lost me. in P2P? was there last I looked.

My mistake was looking in the wrong area.

I see Comanche, BJ and Infotrack but no Oats and Scallywag. Anyway those 3 will be interesting as we have one of each design from a purists point of view. (Oats has been bastardised) and Scallywag is a mixer. Voodoo vs Naval Group will be interesting with Triton in there for a round up. Triton was beaten by Ichi Ban in the race a couple of weeks ago and will be hoping for better this time.  Whats the weather forecast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rawhide said:

We might even have multihulls!

Aren't they allowed...?

 

 

Line..Comanche / WO / BJ (Scally is a big unknown)

60-70... Alive (more time in the boat than all others)

Handicap... Little  Ich ....

Multihull... Me (66) or 99 if it blows....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites