We are 4 Canadian ladies, passionate about sailing ,  who will fly to Auckland to follow the Volvo Ocean Race and its departure on March 18th. This is going to be the high point of a great road trip around the South and North Islands of New Zealand. We would love to find a smaller sized spectator boat ( as opposed to a big ferry-style) to watch the departure of the boats on March 18th FROM THE WATER! 

This would complete our dream from 3 years ago when we decided to do this while attending the Newport Rhode Island 2014-2015 VOR . Recommendations or contact names would be immensely appreciated to make this happen !  Thank you and hope to see many of you there :-)  Next race : 3 ports ! Suzie Q 

I'll check around, see if anyone I know's going out to watch

While you're here best you come Rum Racing on the sparkling waters of the Waitemata

PM me for details

I bought a case of beer and sat on it at the dock before a Wednesday night race. Worked for me. I would make arrangements and get to know some locals, in advance of your chosen day. Auckland Anniversary regatta at the end of January is a major event.

Unkle Krusty

We chartered a fishing charter boat a few years back to watch the Tornado Worlds off Takapuna.  It was a bit under 40', skipper only, no deckie required as we were all competent sailors.  It wasn't ridiculously expensive, there was enough room and shade for everyone, and while we were waiting for some breeze the skipper pulled out some rods and we caught some fish which he promptly barbecued for us.  He was based in Westhaven.  Must be plenty like that in AKL. 

2 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

We chartered a fishing charter boat a few years back to watch the Tornado Worlds off Takapuna.  It was a bit under 40', skipper only, no deckie required as we were all competent sailors.  It wasn't ridiculously expensive, there was enough room and shade for everyone, and while we were waiting for some breeze the skipper pulled out some rods and we caught some fish which he promptly barbecued for us.  He was based in Westhaven.  Must be plenty like that in AKL. 

My brother had a place in Browns Bay, which would have been handy. Dopey bugger sold it and moved North. We could have launched a small boat off Takapuna.

Unkle Krusty

1 hour ago, wal' said:

While you're here best you come Rum Racing on the sparkling waters of the Waitemata

PM me for details

A post on crew.org.nz might find a boat for both Rum Racing and VOR watching

13 hours ago, wal' said:

PM me for details

How nice of you to respond. I will PM you re the Rum Racing sure has peaked my curiosity :-)  

12 hours ago, Unkle Crusty said:

I bought a case of beer and sat on it at the dock before a Wednesday night race. Worked for me. I would make arrangements and get to know some locals, in advance of your chosen day. Auckland Anniversary regatta at the end of January is a major event.

Unkle Krusty

Not a bad idea Unkle Crusty ! Re the regatta - of course we are getting to NZ  too late for that - but getting excited to meeting all the Volvo Ocean Race fans in March and will send out fielders to the local people for sure.  Thank you for keeping your eyes open for us. Suzie 

12 hours ago, Rushman said:

A post on crew.org.nz might find a boat for both Rum Racing and VOR watching

Thank you so much - will look into that ! 

25 minutes ago, Suzie Q said:

Thank you so much - will look into that ! 

I walked the docks and took pics of the boats when they were there in the early eighties. Back then they came around the top of NZ and were close to shore coming down. We set out from Tutukaka and saw a few of them going down. This time they will probably aim at Auckland from further offshore in relation to North Cape. And likely aim for the gap between Rangitoto and the North Shore. Then aim for the Kiwi Bacon sign on the top of Posonby hill, that is not there anymore.

Tui or Lion Brown work well for most sailors in those parts. Waikato works well with the farmer types.

Unkle Krusty

Turn up with Tui or Lion Brown and there could be rumblings.........  :wacko:

1 hour ago, wal' said:

Turn up with Tui or Lion Brown and there could be rumblings.........  :wacko:

Any suggestions? Are you a younger guy with immature taste buds as they used to say?

Unkle Krusty

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Thank you Alcatraz - this could be what we are looking for ! I will share it with the girls.

You are great ! Do you have a favourite team? Are you following it? Where will you watch it ? 

Merci - will keep you posted ! Suzie Q 

15 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Thank you for the precious info - we will look into those possibilities. Suzie Q 

On 2/23/2018 at 9:12 AM, Unkle Crusty said:

Any suggestions? Are you a younger guy with immature taste buds as they used to say?

Unkle Krusty

No

I'm an old guy with taste

10 minutes ago, wal' said:

No

I'm an old guy with taste

Fair enuff. What are your current favourites? I omitted Lion Red. My mistake. Do you predate the Auckland Harbour Bridge?

Don't mind a nice cold Lion Red meself - or Speights, which is similiar

Been roaming the arty ale section of the chiller, Monteiths do a nice triple hop Pilsener.  Pale Ale on a nice hot day, even a citrusy beer every now and then works - but you'd only have a couple.

While skiing Colorado a couple of years ago I worked my way through a bunch of IPAs - but they all tasted the same to me

Same age as the bridge......

21 minutes ago, wal' said:

Don't mind a nice cold Lion Red meself - or Speights, which is similiar

Been roaming the arty ale section of the chiller, Monteiths do a nice triple hop Pilsener.  Pale Ale on a nice hot day, even a citrusy beer every now and then works - but you'd only have a couple.

While skiing Colorado a couple of years ago I worked my way through a bunch of IPAs - but they all tasted the same to me

Same age as the bridge......

Yes, I think I found Speights in brother's fridge. Up here we buy Wells Pale Ale from Bedford England. That and a bunch of other Euro beer for the summer cruise. I would across the Harbour Bridge on opening day. Rode my bicycle in from Blockhouse Bay. So I am about 12 years older. I voted for extended drinking hours in NZ. Some of the new craft beers around here are pretty bad. A couple of good ones come from Seattle area. We went to the store on the North Shore that has 40 beers on tap. That got us a bit wobbly. Used to be 51 pubs in the Auckland area. We went to all of them in one day in 67. Bit of a disaster.

Unkle Krusty

'67?       Hell - that must've cost at least 10 quid!   ....... or 20 bucks if it was after July 10

Do it now and you need a second mortgage......

Oh and WFD on the drinking hours

36 minutes ago, wal' said:

'67?       Hell - that must've cost at least 10 quid!   ....... or 20 bucks if it was after July 10

Do it now and you need a second mortgage......

Oh and WFD on the drinking hours

You are welcome. There was something else on the ballot about extending the terms of office, for the folks that go to Wellington. That got shot down. Beer was 8 pence per glass, which probably meant 10 cents after the conversion. So 5 pounds or 10 bucks. Now some places are close to 10 bucks for a medium glass. Joint in Papakura comes to mind.

Cool, good option, most likely be closer to the action than we'll get

For the VOR start in Auckland when Camper was in the race, the skipper decided we needed some kite practice so we spent a couple of hours hoisting, gybing and dropping out near Rangitoto.  After we were all knackered, we positioned ourselves off Takapuna and watched/tried to keep up with the boats as they two sail reached towards a Gulf Harbour... we couldn't 

A great day on the water

10 hours ago, Rushman said:

For the VOR start in Auckland when Camper was in the race, the skipper decided we needed some kite practice so we spent a couple of hours hoisting, gybing and dropping out near Rangitoto.  After we were all knackered, we positioned ourselves off Takapuna and watched/tried to keep up with the boats as they two sail reached towards a Gulf Harbour... we couldn't 

A great day on the water

That sounds just GRAND! 

Thank you for sharing. I am sure we will see some great sailing with the current boats with some of the winning AC Kiwis on board ! ! 

We decided to take the Tour offered by Explore - on one of the AC 12meter boats - watching the Volvo Ocean Race in Auckland from an America’s Cup boat.....as good as it gets!  

Vamos Mapfre ⛵️⚓️

Suzie Q

Explore is a good company - fascinating old AC boats and very professional.

Go for the more expensive package - as the kids say, YOLO. 

Their base is in the Viaduct Basin, and nearby is the New Zealand Maritime Museum. 

Don't miss it - it's actually worth a full day. 

Have a great time in Aotearoa !! 

(I'm on Western Lake Erie, of all places; but I'm a big fan of NZ - great hiking there too) 

Image result for auckland maritime museum

Glad you are sorted for the day.

Don't forget to sign into the RNZYS and have a drink there to check out the America's Cup, sundry LV trophies, a few Round the World trophies etc. What club in Canada?

10 hours ago, Jono said:

Glad you are sorted for the day.

Don't forget to sign into the RNZYS and have a drink there to check out the America's Cup, sundry LV trophies, a few Round the World trophies etc. What club in Canada?

On 22/02/2018 at 1:37 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

Thank you Alcatraz5768 .....that is what we have opted to do. Merci ! 

Suzie Q 

I am assuming that Jona and Alcatraz are.....one and only :-) 

We are not members of a Yacht Club ...but the Montreal girls have sailed on Lake Champlain in U.S. and the Georgian Bay girls have cruised the Trent Severn Waterways. 

And we are all following the Volvo Ocean Race and knew that the ultimate place to go to see it was Auckland NZ. 

I leave tomorrow , arriving Friday ...hoping for the weather to stabilise and and get better to tour the south island. 

Will touch base for sure as we move closer to Auckland !  

On 21/02/2018 at 11:47 PM, Recidivist said:

Thank you so much for that info ! Sounds like a memorable day ! Suzie Q 

For South Island rent a car - they are cheap (try ABC rental) 

Don't miss sunny, sunny Nelson - get a Wed night ride on a beercan race 

spend a day on the Abel Tasman track . . . Routeburn track, Milford will be booked up but you can still drive in to the sound and take a boat ride,

Queen Charlotte Track is gorgeous   

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/marlborough/places/queen-charlotte-sound-totaranui-area/things-to-do/tracks/queen-charlotte-track/

It is a bit dangerous to ride bikes on the roads, but they have some great rails-to-trails tracks . . 

http://www.otagocentralrailtrail.co.nz/explore-our-trail/

looks like you'll need to stay longer . . . 

Hello AJ, 

We are actually in a camper van  21ft - with us 4  . Driving to Wellington this Friday - Taking the ferry Saturday then....

We had intention to do Abel Tasman for 2-3 days ...but right now the weather looks terrible( we will check out Nelson)  - so we may continue closer to Queenstown. 

We do have a cruise in Milford Fjords booked ...so again good ! I will look up  Routerburn and Queen Charlotte track if you say it's worth it.

Otago trail also sounds grand . We have a great restaurateur and caterer here in Montreal, Vaughan Chittock , a great KIWI from Otago - so it is a must !

Should we go all the way down to the southern tip ? 

It is so nice of you to help ! hope to see you at the race on the 18th . Let's keep in touch. 

Alas, no I cannot be there - stuck on Lake Erie with heart surgery coming up. 

You'll just have to have all that fun in my place. 

Southern tip - don't know jack about it . .  have not been there. 

Here is the web site for Nelson sailing -  http://tasmanbaycc.co.nz/racing/

It says cruising club, but they do a lot of racing - Wednesday's regularly 

I'm not a Kiwi, but I've taken three long trips there - cannot get enough of the awesome beauty and people. 

That Alcatraz is far more disreputable than me. Plus he should be launching his boat rather than writing on SA

If you have the campervan a great Abel Tasman day option is to water taxi from Marua upwind, and then kayak downwind to a cool beach. Also go across the hill to Totaranui beach camp ground - and then out to Farewell Spit the next day. That way you can still do parts of the track without camping, and walking the whole thing is same same. The beaches and water is where it's at.

Thanks Jono , 

That kayak activity sounds just great - will surely do it - it is noted in my agenda.

Leaving tomorrow for the long flight and really looking forward to some great times. 

Merci et au revoir ! Suzie 

And while you're in Auckland, you absolutely must take a half day and jump on 

a ferry for Rangitoto Island. From the top of the volcano you can see the entire Supercity sailing venue. 

Take snacks and water. 

(I keep thinking of more things to do !!  But these are true highlights.) 

Image result for rangitoto volcano

Image result for rangitoto volcano

Sorry, Miss Q, I've been busy, actually working on my boat for once. Last time the VOR was here my wife bought my father and I tickets on a big charter cat (ipipiri) to watch the race. It was a pretty cool day, especially when we figured out that radio sport had live coverage on the radio. 

Rangitoto is a great trip, last time we went we got the ride up to the top (little kids in tow) and the guy driving gave a really great commentary about the island and a bunch of historical stuff I had no idea about. 

I hope you have a great trip, it's a pretty special part of the world. 

Sorry, Miss Q, I've been busy, actually working on my boat for once. Last time the VOR was here my wife bought my father and I tickets on a big charter cat (ipipiri) to watch the race. It was a pretty cool day, especially when we figured out that radio sport had live coverage on the radio. 

Rangitoto is a great trip, last time we went we got the ride up to the top (little kids in tow) and the guy driving gave a really great commentary about the island and a bunch of historical stuff I had no idea about. 

I hope you have a great trip, it's a pretty special part of the world. 

arm.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Alcatraz, 

Nice of you to respond. We will surely check out Rangitoto ! 

Enjoy your boat ......the best therapy in the world ! 

OK need a description of that TAT! 

Heading out this morning for your beautiful country. Leaving the snow behind to find the sun, the water and the kiwis. 

Suzie Q  

6 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

arm.jpg

That’ll last better than a paper chart or a tablet. Especially in the wet!

Do you mark it up for harbour race courses? ;)

Ha!  Wait til the navigator starts walking the dividers across that lot to plot a course!

Weather forecast for the South Island - and pretty much everywhere else for the next week or so -  is looking pretty rubbish.

Nelson about to get nailed again :(

11 hours ago, Suzie Q said:

Thank you Alcatraz, 

Nice of you to respond. We will surely check out Rangitoto ! 

Enjoy your boat ......the best therapy in the world ! 

OK need a description of that TAT! 

Heading out this morning for your beautiful country. Leaving the snow behind to find the sun, the water and the kiwis. 

Suzie Q  

The tattoo is of the Waitamata harbour and inner hauraki gulf. The big island is Waiheke, smaller 2 in the middle are Rangi and Motutapu, Rakino is on my elbow etc. 

Its my happy place. 

45 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

The tattoo is of the Waitamata harbour and inner hauraki gulf. The big island is Waiheke, smaller 2 in the middle are Rangi and Motutapu, Rakino is on my elbow etc. 

Its my happy place. 

I heard it was so you could always find your way home after sharing/hogging the rum bucket 

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Its my happy place. 

From memory, there are a couple of smaller islands up by your shoulder, before you bump into the Coromandel.

The girls have a long flight. We went via Hong Kong. It was longer but cheaper, and we spent some time in Hong Kong which was cool. I grew up in Blockhouse Bay, if anyone is confused, by my changing locations. Service to King and country takes me to different places.

Unkle Krusty

Hey Susie et al - 

Let us know if you have any questions - though you'll find the Kiwis very friendly and helpful. 

Sandusky Sailing Club

How about some photos of your adventure?  

. . or it did not happen . . !!

If they're rattling around Queenstown I hope they brought sweaters...... forecast 16deg C tomorrow and raining...

Sorry AJ  - got it now. 

I have been boating on the Great Lakes as well starting from Georgian Bay where one of the lady lives. 

Beautiful nature! 

We will check out The Nelson sailing  for sure and have a pint of Tui to your health and your perfect recovery from your operation coming up! 

Take care and keep the spirit!

Suzie

Hi Wal’

Although cold, we did get to experience some sun in Queenstown. Never got to see the Glaciers - too cloudy - Oh well keeping the best for last in Auckland - still planning to arrive Friday 16th and will catch the Rum Racing as you suggested 

4224D5D5-7BAF-4373-8738-B30B44D098A2.jpeg

Good luck you Canuck Ducks on Tour....actually that would make a good T-Shirt. PS. Don't forget to spray tan out your wedding ring tan lines.

If you ever get to Western Lake Erie, stop by the Sandusky Sailing Club . .serious offer 

We'll get you a ride on one of our hot racing sleds . . 

Image result for sandusky sailing club

Took the family to the RNZYS for the In Port on Saturday. Fantastic weather and a huge on the water crowd. Maybe I'm old and jaded, but I wasn't initially planning on even watching this (sponsor parade)race. Still it was a great excuse for a couple of hours in the sun and a nice lunch. My wife even bought a new Musto jacket in the sale.

Went out on the water. Conditions you can get here now and then with 2 contesting wind directions and a lottery which one gets there first. Glorious day in the City of Sails tho 

Thank you for all the gentlemen that gave us suggestions and assistance for our trip to Auckland and the Volvo Ocean Race. 

Back on Canada now, but planning to go to Newport, Rhode Island for the Leg 9 of the VOR on May 19-21! 

Merci et au revoir! 

951C8415-A4BA-4556-A4BE-29A54B4E1199.jpeg

Hope you all had a great time Suzie! Come back down for the Americas Cup...

Sure sounds like a plan!

:-)