Sign in to follow this  
G.R.F.

Farr 3,7

Had a bit of a search, couldn't find any threads dedicated to this boat, but thought there might be a bit more intel about it, I've just ordered one, getting it delivered at our annual dinghy show, so want to know as much as i can about it before the dread moment when I find out it really is too short as I have always suspected.

I also fancy mounting a sort of T foil, but reckon a trailing 'V' might provide the necessary extra to stop it getting locked into the troughs of the wavelengths I have to deal with in the English Channel where I'm about to try and sail it.

I know there are a bunch of them get sailed by sheep botherers down under and I've noticed some have gantrys but has anyone tried an aft foil?

Will stick up some pics when I get them, but glad to read of any experience, it's an old design, but then so am I.

There was another 3.7 thread a while back, maybe dig a little deeper with the search, I think it was a bit more NZ centric...

This might be of interest .. I did the photo in 1970.

The sailor is Bruce Farr and he is developing the 3.7 by racing informally against the 12 foot skiffs but he did have some issues as seen in the photo.

1970 01 00 (x1-14) Sailing @ Orakei-nf35YJ-10.jpg

11 hours ago, G.R.F. said:

Had a bit of a search, couldn't find any threads dedicated to this boat, but thought there might be a bit more intel about it, I've just ordered one, getting it delivered at our annual dinghy show, so want to know as much as i can about it before the dread moment when I find out it really is too short as I have always suspected.

I also fancy mounting a sort of T foil, but reckon a trailing 'V' might provide the necessary extra to stop it getting locked into the troughs of the wavelengths I have to deal with in the English Channel where I'm about to try and sail it.

I know there are a bunch of them get sailed by sheep botherers down under and I've noticed some have gantrys but has anyone tried an aft foil?

Will stick up some pics when I get them, but glad to read of any experience, it's an old design, but then so am I.

You have probably just alienated the people on the planet that can truly answer your questions about the Farr 3.7, hopefully your sailing skill is better than your choice of words.

The 3.7 is a fun boat but be ready to swim and recover till you train your brain to sail on the wire on all boards and wind conditions. If you are not fit you soon will be or the boat will be for sale. Happy sailing, hope you can grow a fleet in your local area.

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

You have probably just alienated the people on the planet that can truly answer your questions about the Farr 3.7, hopefully your sailing skill is better than your choice of words.

The 3.7 is a fun boat but be ready to swim and recover till you train your brain to sail on the wire on all boards and wind conditions. If you are not fit you soon will be or the boat will be for sale. Happy sailing, hope you can grow a fleet in your local area.

It is of course an Englishman's inalienable birthright to choose whichsoever 'words' he chooses, particularly when engaging former colonials in what will be quite obvious to all but those with severe educational disability as sport irony. Indeed I thought I was being particularly kind in my choice of the word 'botherer' rather than the more normal 'molester' which we find more appropriate to the Welsh these days.

As Kiwi's they are indeed lucky I have chosen to even discuss the matter with them, since it was one of their number that deliberately appears to have chosen to make this boat too short for the purpose for which it was quite clearly originally intended.

But thanks for your concern, I don't suppose you might wish to qualify your last sentence and elaborate further the manner in which my swimming skills may have to be put to further test at the hands of this device and indeed wether an aft mounted gantry and T foil may assist in preventing such trauma, I really have no wish to indulge in sub surface activity and risk surfacing with a frisbee or other plastic device permanently affixed to my person.

14 hours ago, G.R.F. said:

Doug Lord is that you?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JeffD said:

Doug Lord is that you?

No such luck dear boy, but how is the fella, last time I was here they'd banned him...

11 minutes ago, G.R.F. said:

No such luck dear boy, but how is the fella, last time I was here they'd banned him...

Honest mistake here GRF...

Still you could prove it beyond doubt by not wasting the next 10 pages pontificating about foiling rudders, just go and sail it. 3.7s are cool boats if you are the right weight which is around 75kg. They are light, can plane everywhere and don't need those foiling thingies. If its going down the mine move your ass to the back of the boat.

Some useful stuff here  http://www.3-7class.org.nz/tuning--technique.html

But good luck, all the best learning to sail it and do post photos of your progress. 

And you Poms need to keep your grubby little minds off our sheep ok.

Well us Poms are looking forward to more New Zealand lamb post brexit and less of that garlic ridden french stuff.

Thanks for the link, very interesting lots of talk about diamonds and spreaders that we don't seem to have over here and even more talk of swimming which I have to say I haven't really signed up for, sounds like impact vest and helmet stuff, maybe I should have gone for kite foiling instead..

I tried a moth rudder on my 37 and found it too much dicking around to be anything good. I absolutely love the boat, especially in big breeze. 

Rig tune is a big part of boat development in NZ, a bunch of ETNZ blokes were developing over-rotating wingmasts in the early 2000s. At the moment a UHM C-Tech pole is the quickest, and also keeps things simple. Aluminium is a waste of time. The tuning guide was written back when a lot of boat sported travellers which happens less these days. Most competitive boats run boom sheeting from a bridle at the back. There are some fairly outrageous gantries out there, I haven't sailed a 37 without one in NZ. 

The 37 to get foiling is the one I just borrowed for the nationals - Built by C-tech in the early 2000s and the last one out of the old moulds, it's carrying half it's weight in lead, which shows you can build a carbon hull at around 25kg all up.

Interestingly enough, it's observable that more lead helps the boat punch upwind, as the lighter platform tended to be knocked backwards due to the wide bow. 

19 hours ago, G.R.F. said:

It is of course an Englishman's inalienable birthright to choose whichsoever 'words' he chooses, particularly when engaging former colonials in what will be quite obvious to all but those with severe educational disability as sport irony. Indeed I thought I was being particularly kind in my choice of the word 'botherer' rather than the more normal 'molester' which we find more appropriate to the Welsh these days.

As Kiwi's they are indeed lucky I have chosen to even discuss the matter with them, since it was one of their number that deliberately appears to have chosen to make this boat too short for the purpose for which it was quite clearly originally intended.

But thanks for your concern, I don't suppose you might wish to qualify your last sentence and elaborate further the manner in which my swimming skills may have to be put to further test at the hands of this device and indeed wether an aft mounted gantry and T foil may assist in preventing such trauma, I really have no wish to indulge in sub surface activity and risk surfacing with a frisbee or other plastic device permanently affixed to my person.

The British have always made the best comedy and it is good to see you keeping up the tradition. Winglets as per the non foiling A Class may assist with lessening the pitch pole but as said the moveable ballast is the best way to counter this. Be careful if you are tempted to use foot straps.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:02 PM, Ross said:

Would love to see pictures of this Carbon 3.7, and one foiling!

5a992c5e2a43c_Farrblkwhte2500.thumb.jpg.73dc3c22a142329d0c0bd9d863709355.jpg

As for foiling, there were loads of boats jacked up on foils at the show, from Bic Opens to Aero's, foiling's the law now everyone has to foil, or so you'd be forgiven for thinking..

38822180830_ade926b126_k.jpg 

Cheesy foil set up for Aero's of course everyone who's bought an Aero will quite naturally want to foil it, won't they?

On 23/02/2018 at 7:41 PM, Crazy Horse said:

get a grip - they're all sheep shaggers and you know it.