Dacron Underwear

Worldwide Solent Alternatives?

I am just about to finish Uni, sailed in the solent always. 

The UK seems very keen to fuck itself, and everyone that lives here over.

Now I need to start making a bug out plan.....

Where can I go that has as much going on as this fine green stretch of water? 

I'm talking smallish to biggish keel boats, dinghies are everywhere. 

Nearby engineering industry is also ideal. 

Thoughts?

PNW isn’t bad. Not the Solent but not bad. Lots of engineering going on..

Sydney, Auckland or even San Francisco Bay.  SF Bay Area is full of good high paying engineering jobs (as long as you get a proper visa), sailing and skiing, but horrifying expense.

• Like 1

If you Brits have fecked up your own country, then please stay home and fix it.

The  world had several hundred years of you lot invading everywhere, killing the natives and stealing their resources.  We don't want a re-run.  So this time, clean up your mess.

So I'll tell you there is nowhere in the world as nice as the Solent.  (While I turn away to snigger a the idea that anyone would like sailing in such overcrowded, overpriced waters)

La Trinité. Not too far, and the food is better.

I think you blokes get open admit to Oz and New Zealand, right? 

Hard to beat Aotearoa. 

Sydney is too warm, too sunny and too protected for someone from the Solent.

Melbourne is a lot closer to what you are after....

There is no free pass to anywhere anymore. That was 1948 during much resettlement. The Pacific North West has similar weather to England. It rains, but the summers are nice. This area is one of the best places to cruise. The housing costs in the bigger cities, Vancouver and Victoria is rather expensive. Same goes with Auckland in NZ. Go 80 miles North to Whangerie and it gets cheaper. Lots of boats, lots of machine shops. Do you plan to leave jolly old for good? If so I can ramble on about long term living in the US, NZ, and Canada. I was born in London. Bloody beauty that we moved.

UK. Unkle Krusty Quite a few poms on my Island, but there is not much work here. We play darts on Friday nights. 

Many technology and engineering jobs allow remote work: live wherever you want.

Many technology and engineering companies have offices in some or all of the nicest to sail locations: work in an office for one company, but move around.

There are serious draw backs to working at home if you have a spouse and family, so working in an office is often more healthy. Being able to change offices is then the way to go.

Its not that hard to start an internet company, and then you work for yourself wherever you want to be. I just heard of a guy who earns a little money from a web site for fans of cooking with cook pots. Really! He'll never get rich from that one site, but he can start others for other topics. Highly specialized forums can earn you money -- ask Scooter!

On 26/02/2018 at 12:56 AM, AJ Oliver said:

I think you blokes get open admit to Oz and New Zealand, right? 

It is a very long time since that was the case.

There's something to be said for establishing EU residency while you still can.

5 hours ago, carcrash said:

There are serious draw backs to working at home if you have a spouse and family

Yes there are. Some serious advantages too if you want to contribute to child care and see your children grow up.

The disadvantage I experienced was this, and I really hated it:

When working in an office, when I got home and saw my wife and kids, it was time for them.

When working at home, a LOT of the time I'm home and awake, I must not be disturbed or I can't get as much done. This means I need to tell my wife and kids "Leave me alone!" which, no matter how patient and nice one can be about it, is a bad message. The absolute opposite message.

• Like 1

Great Lakes....9500 miles of shoreline, 5 pretty large bodies of water, several large cities, lots of cruising possibilities, some interesting racing, and if you must sail when the water is hard you can get an iceboat....

Shoreline mileage per lake, state and country.

MI MN WI IL IN OH PE NY US CAN Total
Lake Superior 917 189 325 1,431 1,549 2,980
Lake Michigan 1,058 495 63 45 1,661 1,661
Lake Huron 934 934 2,416 3,350
Lake Erie 54 312 51 77 494 366 860
Lake Ontario 331 331 395 726
Totals 2,423 189 820 63 45 312 51 338 4,851 4,726 9,577

16 minutes ago, madohe said:

Great Lakes....9500 miles of shoreline, 5 pretty large bodies of water, several large cities, lots of cruising possibilities, some interesting racing, and if you must sail when the water is hard you can get an iceboat....

Shoreline mileage per lake, state and country.

MI MN WI IL IN OH PE NY US CAN Total
Lake Superior 917 189 325 1,431 1,549 2,980
Lake Michigan 1,058 495 63 45 1,661 1,661
Lake Huron 934 934 2,416 3,350
Lake Erie 54 312 51 77 494 366 860
Lake Ontario 331 331 395 726
Totals 2,423 189 820 63 45 312 51 338 4,851 4,726 9,577

Looks like the column labels here are misaligned to the left by one column...

So Dacron,

Much useful input.  What think you?

You are correct. Thanks.

Son-of-a-beeyotch!! F'n FRED(*)!!!!!

The point is there are alot of possibilities for sailing in many forms on the Great Lakes with varied and interesting places to live...and storms and waves that can give pause to even the most experienced.

(*)fucking ridiculous electronic device

Still stick with my suggestion, only 300 miles from the Solent. La Trinité, le Crouesty, Golfe de Morbihan, Carnac, Quiberon, Lorient .... Every form of sailing, lots of marine industry, projects, new builds, races, events, monster trimarans, Flying Phantoms, Spi Ouest ....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, carcrash said:

The disadvantage I experienced was this, and I really hated it:

When working in an office, when I got home and saw my wife and kids, it was time for them.

When working at home, a LOT of the time I'm home and awake, I must not be disturbed or I can't get as much done. This means I need to tell my wife and kids "Leave me alone!" which, no matter how patient and nice one can be about it, is a bad message. The absolute opposite message.

I get that. Contrary-wise I work with several people who work from home with a young family and no way do they want to be away from the family 12 hours a day 5 days a week. I also have a retired friend who is a happy grand-dad and says it is great, he sees and knows his  grand-children  far more than he ever got to know his children who grew up while he was working and commuting. 

• Like 1

Language not an issue? - Try Kiel! The weather, food, and bureaucracy are as bad as in England, the season is just as short, Kiel Week is just as crowded as Cowes Week, but... there is NO TiDE CURRENT! 

Ok, or Monaco, Lake Garda, Capetown, Stockholm, Wellington, Sydney, etc etc pp...