Sign in to follow this  
Mid

NRA backlash: Major bank and car-rental giant are ending partnerships

Recommended Posts

One of the world's largest rental-car companies is ending a key partnership with the NRA

  • Quote

     

    • Enterprise Holdings, one of the world’s largest rental-car companies, is ending a key partnership with the National Rifle Association.
    • The conglomerate, which operates Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Alamo Rent a Car, and National Car Rental, said it ended a discount program available to NRA members, effective March 26.
    • That follows a move by First National Bank earlier Thursday to end a credit-card promotion with the gun-advocacy group.
    • The developments come more than a week after a deadly mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, and amid escalating demands for greater accountability from lawmakers and businesses after the massacre.

     

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/nra-members-wont-get-any-more-enterprise-rental-car-discounts-2018-2?r=UK&IR=T

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NRA is being supported by these companies

Come for the discounts, stay for the opposition to common sense gun laws.

Hertz 

The rental car company offers NRA members “up to 25% off everyday base rates at participating locations worldwide” as well as “additional program benefits.” According to the company’s website, those benefits include “everyday savings,” “bonus savings,” and “premier travel perks.” A representative for Hertz did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Avis and Budget

The two car rental companies operated by the Avis Budget Group offer NRA members up to 25 percent off base rates. A representative for the company did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

TrueCar

The car buying service advertises on a special NRA member website that “members save an average of $3,383 off MSRP!” A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

LifeLine Screening 

The preventative health company based in Austin, Texas says on a NRA-specific website that members can “take advantage of affordable discounts.” A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Symantec

Norton anti-malware software, developed and distributed by Symantec Corporation, offers NRA members discounts on various subscription rates. Members can get $37 off a standard membership, $52 off a deluxe membership, and $62 off a premium membership. A representative for Symantec did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Allied Van Lines 

The moving company offers unspecified discounts to NRA members through a special website. A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.  

NorthAmerican Van Lines 

The moving company, owned by the same parent company as Allied Van Lines, also offers discounts to NRA members. “It’s a great program,” a customer service representative told ThinkProgress. “We’ve been doing this for many many years for NRA members.”

SimpliSafe

NRA members receive two months free of SimpliSafe’s monitoring with the purchase of any new home security system. A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.  

Starkey Hearing Technologies

The NRA partners with this prominent hearing aid technology company to offer discounted hearing aids and “free consultations” for its members. A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.  

ManageUrID

Members are encouraged to protect their “privacy and financial security” through a subscription to this privacy protection service, though no discount is specified. A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.  

Life Insurance Central

The NRA-endorsed term life company is listed as providing “higher coverage amounts” for members on life insurance policies. A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.  

Medical Concierge Network

Unspecified “specialized exclusive benefits” are offered for members who want to join this “personal health advisory service.” The company’s founder, Greg Nassief, told ThinkProgress that he has no comment on the company’s relationship with the NRA, noting that it is not political and that his company has similar relationships “with several entities across all sorts of categories.”

eHealth

Members are invited to purchase health insurance plans through eHealth’s exchange, though no specific discount is specified. A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.  

Teladoc 

NRA members are offered a $14.95 “discounted monthly rate” for this telemedicine service. In an email, the company’s communications director Courtney McLeod told ThinkProgress that “Teladoc is not an NRA partner” and that “they offer our services (access to healthcare), just as they could offer access to any number of consumer products or services.” When ThinkProgress pointed out that the NRA site claims “a specially-discounted group rate for NRA members,” McLeod said the company “does not have a direct relationship with the NRA” and that any group rate was negotiated with a third party.

Members of the NRA’s Business Alliance, a separate program for businesses, receive additional benefits and discounts. These include:

FedEx 

The shipping giant provides up to a 26 percent discount for NRA Business Alliance members via its FedEx Advantage program. A representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

LifeLock

Access to LifeLock Business Solutions, the identity-theft prevention company’s business arm, is listed as a benefit, though no specific discount is specified. A representative for its parent company, Symantec, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Wild Apricot 

NRA Business Alliance members are offered a 30-day free trial of the member management company’s website and membership software. A representative told ThinkProgress that the company offers anyone a 30-day free trial and “has absolutely no affiliation or partnership with the NRA,” but did not explain why the NRA is advertising the trial to members. In 2013, Wild Apricot told ThinkProgress that the company permits any lawful group to receive a commission if they sign up as affiliate partners and they “do not pay any fee to the NRA, and their affiliates do not receive any discount on our software.”

https://thinkprogress.org/corporations-nra-f0d8074f2ca7/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Write and tell them you are boycotting them until they smarten up.

It works

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A buddy and I gamed this out; 

Have kids get signs together and  use social media to organize a flash mob at 1 or 2 of the local offices.  Flash in , wave signs, chant for 30-40 minutes then leave after the press shows and gets their shots (having been clued in).

That would get some attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to treat the NRA like what they are. Boils on the ass of humanity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Somebody is pissing off  a lot of voters.

 

5 million NRA members. Likely most already vote R. So who cares?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raz'r said:

5 million NRA members. Likely most already vote R. So who cares?

Lots of folks who like guns and the 2A don't belong to the NRA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Somebody is pissing off  a lot of voters.

 

Yeah - asshole gun nuts are pissing off the sane majority.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T22Harris said:

Fuck the NRA!

Fuck ALL gun fanatics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck the current NRA.

Fuck their board.

Blood is on their hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Donald Trump research anything before he opens his mouth to insert his foot?

As more schools consider arming their employees, some districts are encountering a daunting economic hurdle: insurance carriers threatening to raise their premiums or revoke coverage entirely.

During legislative sessions this year, seven states enacted laws permitting teachers or administrators to carry guns in schools. Three of the measures — in Kansas, South Dakota and Tennessee — took effect last week.

But already, EMC Insurance Companies, the liability insurance provider for about 90 percent of Kansas school districts, has sent a letter to its agentssaying that schools permitting employees to carry concealed handguns would be declined coverage.

“We are making this underwriting decision simply to protect the financial security of our company,” the letter said.

In northeast Indiana, Douglas A. Harp, the sheriff of Noble County, offered to deputize teachers to carry handguns in their classrooms less than a week after 26 children and educators were killed in a school shooting in Newtown, Conn. A community member donated $27,000 in firearms to the effort. School officials from three districts seemed ready to sign off. But the plan fell apart after an insurer refused to provide workers’ compensation to schools with gun-carrying staff members.

The Oregon School Boards Association, which manages liability coverage for all but a handful of the state’s school districts, recently announced a new pricing structure that would make districts pay an extra $2,500 annual premium for every staff member carrying a weapon on the job.

Scott Whitman, an administrator at the Jackson County school district in southern Oregon, where a committee is looking at arming school staff members next year, said costs would be a factor in the decision. With 10 buildings, the expense of arming and training more than one staff member at each school would easily exceed $50,000 a year.

“Pretty much every last bit of our money is budgeted,” he said, adding, “To me, that could be quite an impediment to putting this forward.”

Increasing the number of firearms in classrooms across the country has been the cornerstone of the National Rifle Association’s response to the Newtown massacre and the legislative fights over proposed gun laws that followed it. In April, the gun-rights group released a report that called for armed police officers, security guards or staff members in every American school.

More than 30 state legislatures introduced bills that permit staff members to carry guns in public or private schools this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Supporters say training teachers to carry guns would better protect students and, if anything, should put insurance companies more at ease. But worries remain about who could be sued if a gun-related accident occurred on school property, giving way to business realities for some insurance providers, which include both commercial carriers and nonprofit cooperatives.

“Some are saying this is so high risk we’re not going to touch it,” said Kenneth S. Trump, the president of National School Safety and Security Services, which discourages districts from implementing concealed carry policies. “Others may say this is so high risk that you’re going to pay through the nose.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/us/schools-seeking-to-arm-employees-hit-hurdle-on-insurance.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make the fucking NRA and the Republicans pay the premiums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, learningJ24 said:

A buddy and I gamed this out; 

Have kids get signs together and  use social media to organize a flash mob at 1 or 2 of the local offices.  Flash in , wave signs, chant for 30-40 minutes then leave after the press shows and gets their shots (having been clued in).

That would get some attention.

The local NRA office? Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.

Remington, America's oldest gun maker, is planning to file for bankruptcy. Both sales and the stock of Smith & Wesson's parent company have plummeted over the last year, while Colt crawled out of bankruptcy last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chinabald said:

Some companies will step up and fill those vacant spots.

Look for the NRA to have a record month for new memberships. 

Truly.

There's no fixing stupid.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insurer Chubb says will stop underwriting NRA insurance for gun owners

Quote

Chubb gave notice three months ago of its plan to stop participating in the NRA insurance program, known as “NRA Carry Guard,” a Chubb spokesman said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-chubb-ltd-ch/insurer-chubb-says-will-stop-underwriting-nra-insurance-for-gun-owners-idUSKCN1G724A?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drip, drip, drip.

 

Maybe there is still hope for the USA.

Can't wait for November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A movement to boycott the NRA is growing -- here are the companies that haven't cut ties with the gun-rights group

Quote

 

Update – February 23, 1 pm: MetLife and SimpliSafe have confirmed to BI that they are stopping their discount programs with the NRA. Lifelock owner Symantec has also cut ties with the NRA, according to Bloomberg.

Update – February 23rd, 5pm: Republic Bank & Trust Co. and Allied Van Lines confirmed to BI that they no longer have affiliate relationships with the NRA effective immediately. Avis and Budget discount programs will end effective March 26, and Netspend benefit programs are currently under review.

Update – February 23rd, 6pm: Hertz has stopped their NRA discount partnership.

 

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/which-companies-still-support-the-nra-2018-2?r=US&IR=T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Make the fucking NRA and the Republicans pay the premiums put up a cash bond to cover future insurance payouts.

FIFY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Does Donald Trump research anything before he opens his mouth to insert his foot?

As more schools consider arming their employees, some districts are encountering a daunting economic hurdle: insurance carriers threatening to raise their premiums or revoke coverage entirely.

During legislative sessions this year, seven states enacted laws permitting teachers or administrators to carry guns in schools. Three of the measures — in Kansas, South Dakota and Tennessee — took effect last week.

But already, EMC Insurance Companies, the liability insurance provider for about 90 percent of Kansas school districts, has sent a letter to its agentssaying that schools permitting employees to carry concealed handguns would be declined coverage.

“We are making this underwriting decision simply to protect the financial security of our company,” the letter said.

In northeast Indiana, Douglas A. Harp, the sheriff of Noble County, offered to deputize teachers to carry handguns in their classrooms less than a week after 26 children and educators were killed in a school shooting in Newtown, Conn. A community member donated $27,000 in firearms to the effort. School officials from three districts seemed ready to sign off. But the plan fell apart after an insurer refused to provide workers’ compensation to schools with gun-carrying staff members.

The Oregon School Boards Association, which manages liability coverage for all but a handful of the state’s school districts, recently announced a new pricing structure that would make districts pay an extra $2,500 annual premium for every staff member carrying a weapon on the job.

Scott Whitman, an administrator at the Jackson County school district in southern Oregon, where a committee is looking at arming school staff members next year, said costs would be a factor in the decision. With 10 buildings, the expense of arming and training more than one staff member at each school would easily exceed $50,000 a year.

“Pretty much every last bit of our money is budgeted,” he said, adding, “To me, that could be quite an impediment to putting this forward.”

Increasing the number of firearms in classrooms across the country has been the cornerstone of the National Rifle Association’s response to the Newtown massacre and the legislative fights over proposed gun laws that followed it. In April, the gun-rights group released a report that called for armed police officers, security guards or staff members in every American school.

More than 30 state legislatures introduced bills that permit staff members to carry guns in public or private schools this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Supporters say training teachers to carry guns would better protect students and, if anything, should put insurance companies more at ease. But worries remain about who could be sued if a gun-related accident occurred on school property, giving way to business realities for some insurance providers, which include both commercial carriers and nonprofit cooperatives.

“Some are saying this is so high risk we’re not going to touch it,” said Kenneth S. Trump, the president of National School Safety and Security Services, which discourages districts from implementing concealed carry policies. “Others may say this is so high risk that you’re going to pay through the nose.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/us/schools-seeking-to-arm-employees-hit-hurdle-on-insurance.html

 

People on internet forums (along with a President who never appears to know what the fuck he is doing) tell us that armed teachers make schools safer.

People who manage risk for a living and will have actual monetary skin in the game now tell us that armed teachers make schools riskier. 

Is there even a contest here?  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Time to treat the GOP like what they are. Boils on the ass of humanity.

cut the head off first.

one can dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, benwynn said:

Is there even a contest here?  

shouldn't be , however how's your maths > LCD ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

interesting article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/florida-school-shooting-1.4547536

OPINION

In the wake of the Florida school shooting, the NRA is suddenly distinctly vulnerable

The gunman unwittingly left behind the NRA's worst nightmare: articulate, engaged teenagers

Looks like the only thing left to do is to pull funding for education at all levels. Inarticulate, disengaged, armed teenagers are what we really need. Who was it that Trump appointed to the Dept. of Education? I can't seem to remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The local NRA office? Good luck. "

You completely miss the point; if company x had supported the NRA, flash mob them and generate the optics. Let public opinion run after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bhyde said:

Looks like the only thing left to do is to pull funding for education at all levels. Inarticulate, disengaged, armed teenagers are what we really need. Who was it that Trump appointed to the Dept. of Education? I can't seem to remember.

If they move Dept. of Education into Defense, they might be able to get more budget. Hell, draft all the teachers and turn them into real soldiers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bhyde said:

Looks like the only thing left to do is to pull funding for education at all levels. Inarticulate, disengaged and ignorant politicians are what we really need and what we have. Who was it that Trump appointed to the Dept. of Education? I can't seem to remember.

FTFY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

5 million NRA members. Likely most already vote R. So who cares?

 

4 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Lots of folks who like guns and the 2A don't belong to the NRA.

 

Probably for good reason.  Why would they be counted in regard to Raz'r's point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, benwynn said:

 

People on internet forums (along with a President who never appears to know what the fuck he is doing) tell us that armed teachers make schools safer.

People who manage risk for a living and will have actual monetary skin in the game now tell us that armed teachers make schools riskier. 

Is there even a contest here?  

 

 

There shouldn't be. Politicians will pay attention, and I would hope that Conservatives who claim they trust markets and market strategy would also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apple, Amazon, YouTube Urged To Pull NRA TV Channel

Quote

“It’s time for tech leaders to acknowledge their role in helping the NRA spread this dangerous content and cut it out."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/nra-tv-apple-amazon-youtube-roku_us_5a9048d9e4b03b55731bd88b

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mid said:

 

Funny how nobody ever calls for youtube to pull all the Jihad Nasheed videos on YouTube.

Lots of guns in these videos they even mention machine guns, why are Jihad nasheed videos ok and NRA TV is bad can any leftard explain that to me?

This one has English subtitles for those who don't understand Arabic- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df44FHcCv6U

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

 

Funny how nobody ever calls for youtube to pull all the Jihad Nasheed videos on YouTube.

Lots of guns in these videos they even mention machine guns, why are Jihad nasheed videos ok and NRA TV is bad can any leftard explain that to me?

This one has English subtitles for those who don't understand Arabic- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df44FHcCv6U

Can't help yourself can you? No matter what the subject, you just have to give in to the voices inside your head. Not everything is about Muslims. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

 

Funny how nobody ever calls for youtube to pull all the Jihad Nasheed videos on YouTube.

Lots of guns in these videos they even mention machine guns, why are Jihad nasheed videos ok and NRA TV is bad can any leftard explain that to me?

This one has English subtitles for those who don't understand Arabic- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df44FHcCv6U

Since 1998, the NRA has spent over 200 million dollars on political activities.  They OWN many of our representatives, with the ability to cut their election nuts off if they so much as stray off agenda.   You express puzzlement over the influence this organization has compared to one that shares a broadcast channel with videos on twerking girls, funny cats, and old guys at wedding receptions with their pants falling down. 

Then again, you're a fucking moron.  It should have been expected from your bigoted ass.  Our first clue was the source. Our second clue was you starting the post with "Funny how...".

If you take requests, start your next post with "The Last Time I Checked....".     Always a crowd pleaser. 

I'd like to see a trifecta here, but I'm out of ideas.   Anyone:?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Be Honest ..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually ....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Interesting.

Remington, America's oldest gun maker, is planning to file for bankruptcy. Both sales and the stock of Smith & Wesson's parent company have plummeted over the last year, while Colt crawled out of bankruptcy last year.

Sig-Sauer and Glock have a lot more caché these days.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mid said:

The NRA just released an absurd, offensive video blaming the media for mass shootings

Untitled.jpg.2d27020f830a66de282cdfc1736fac8d.jpg

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/22/17040166/nra-mass-shootings-guns

It isn't working....

BREAKING-Delta Airlines drops affiliation with the NRA.

 

Delta is reaching out to the NRA to let them know we will be ending their contract for discounted rates through our group travel program. We will be requesting that the NRA remove our information from their website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You lefties always.......

"I find it interesting..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mid said:

The NRA just released an absurd, offensive video blaming the media for mass shootings

Untitled.jpg.2d27020f830a66de282cdfc1736fac8d.jpg

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/22/17040166/nra-mass-shootings-guns

They really are a unique category of scum sucker aren't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like these folks are just removing the affinity discounts for NRA members.

I'm not sure how this will affect all those NRA members who also happen to belong to AAA, Boat/US, Elks, Moose, Eagles, VFW, or any other organization that puts out a magazine or newsletter and discounts ads in exchange for member discounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gun nutterz will shrug and say it's meaningless posturing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The gun nutterz will shrug and say it's meaningless posturing.

You lefties always make things  out t be bigger than  they really are   B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pond sailor said:

It's not about affecting the membership....it's about removing any affiliation between their brand and the NRA. The NRA brand is becoming a pariah   

 

 

Since I am not a member of the NRA I have no idea what non-rifle brands are affiliated with them.

I don't see Hertz advertising their affiliation with anyone except in the house magazines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dacapo said:

You lefties always make things  out t be bigger than  they really are   B)

Sorry, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NRA lashes out at boycott movement as United, Delta and other corporations cut ties

 

Quote

 

Delta is reaching out to the NRA to let them know we will be ending their contract for discounted rates through our group travel program. We will be requesting that the NRA remove our information from their website.

— Delta (@Delta) February 24, 2018

United is notifying the NRA that we will no longer offer a discounted rate to their annual meeting and we are asking that the NRA remove our information from their website.

— United Airlines (@united) February 24, 2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Saorsa said:

It looks like these folks are just removing the affinity discounts for NRA members.

I'm not sure how this will affect all those NRA members who also happen to belong to AAA, Boat/US, Elks, Moose, Eagles, VFW, or any other organization that puts out a magazine or newsletter and discounts ads in exchange for member discounts.

It's just getting started, and for only a week the results have been astonishing. The next target.

Ammo maker's bike brands looking down the barrel of a consumer boycott

In the wake of the Florida school shooting, US bike advocate Aaron Naparstek is calling for a boycott of Giro, Bell, Camelbak, CoPilot and other bike brands owned by Vista Outdoor, one of America's largest ammunition makers. This $3bn company is also a corporate supporter of the gun lobby’s mouthpiece, the National Rifle Association, he said. 

"The same company that manufactures your CoPilot rear-rack child bicycle safety seat also produces the SavageArms MSR 15 Patrol assault rife," tweeted Naparstek last night. 

He added: "It's just jarring to me that when I bought @GiroCyclingUK, @BellBikeHelmets, @CamelBak and CoPilot products, I put money in the pockets of a domestic arms dealer." 

Vista Outdoor is a holding company that owns gun brands that make ammunition, guns and gun accessories.

https://www.bikebiz.com/news/anti-gun-bike-brand-boycott 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mid said:

Untitled.jpg.71bdec3ccabb2bf01bc151dca3366225.jpg

Without even a vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That '70s shag carpeting really completes the motif.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

That '70s shag carpeting really completes the motif.

I bet if he was lying on his face he'd blend with the carpet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NotACare-464122.JPG

Finding even FOX News a little to "pro school children", a gun nutter in the wild sits and stares at his gun collection fondly remembering past massacres...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conservatives in Georgia's Senate have a message for Delta Air Lines: Renew your relationship with the National Rifle Association or you will pay the price.