Varan

Blakely Rock Race 2018, Seattle

Who's going. Just found out we are not :wacko: due to travel conditions. Not a good time to be traveling over Snoqualmie Pass. Any recommendations for racing in March on a J80? April is covered :)

I'm sad to say that I won't be there this year. Re-Quest has been hauled out for a new bottom, and the weather this last month hasn't been conducive to epoxy and paint work. 

I always love that race (and all of CSS), and it was special being able to drop flowers off in memory of Kelly O'Neil from her old boat. I've never met her, but have heard a lot of great stories especially since buying RQ. 

Hopefully the weather will turn around, our boat will be finished, and we'll be out for Scatchet Head. 

I'll be there racing on Charlotte. As of Thursday only 26 boats signed up? New low? :(

Hope there are some late registrations still coming in!

1 hour ago, Locus said:

I'll be there racing on Charlotte. As of Thursday only 26 boats signed up? New low? :(

Hope there are some late registrations still coming in!

I suspect today's weather and this week's forecast has a lot to do with the low number of entries. 

I’m planning to race my Olson 29, need to register this week. I’ve been waiting for my new CYC membership to be confirmed to register.

Also I plan to be at the crew/skipper Meetup at CYC this coming Friday, right now I’m short at least one possibly two for Blakely Rock.  

4 hours ago, Varan said:

I suspect today's weather and this week's forecast has a lot to do with the low number of entries. 

Curious, snow and 47°

Screenshot_20180225-160659.png

5 hours ago, See Level said:

Curious, snow and 47°

Screenshot_20180225-160659.png

Actually it was heavy hail and 46° in the north end and sunny and 36° in the south.

Perfect day...for netflix.  

Blakely Rock, of course, will be beautiful, sunny, 60 degrees and a moderate northerly.

I wouldn’t look to far into the registration numbers. The fleets will be healthy.

21 hours ago, sailronin said:

I’m planning to race my Olson 29, need to register this week. I’ve been waiting for my new CYC membership to be confirmed to register.

Also I plan to be at the crew/skipper Meetup at CYC this coming Friday, right now I’m short at least one possibly two for Blakely Rock.  

Talk to Matt Wood about the timing of your membership application with the race, I'm sure that he'll help you out.  If you just recently joined then your application probably won't be reviewed for another 2 weeks, and you don't want to miss out on 2 weeks of CSS (my favorite local series).

HI Alex,

I just submitted my registration for the CSS.  Still no word on the membership but it's OK, just paid for the three race series.

Good news...Bad news

Registration numbers heating up.  Forecast cooling off.  

Sailronin, welcome to the club.  They let me in after all.

No palm trees on the Rock?

I think, after 30 years, I might be living in the wrong city.  Except, of course, in spring, summer and fall.

44 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Good news...Bad news

Registration numbers heating up.  Forecast cooling off.  

Sailronin, welcome to the club.  They let me in after all.

Thanks left shift!

17 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

You must be new to Puget Sound.

I am cautiously optimistic. 

On 2/26/2018 at 1:04 PM, Alex W said:

Talk to Matt Wood about the timing of your membership application with the race, I'm sure that he'll help you out.  If you just recently joined then your application probably won't be reviewed for another 2 weeks, and you don't want to miss out on 2 weeks of CSS (my favorite local series).

It is not necessary to be a member of CYC to enter the series.  You can enter as a guest for the first year, I recall. 

But its a lot more fun to be a member.  

3 hours ago, Locus said:

The 10k northerly now is a 5k southerly. 

One needs a good suite of northerly and southerly sails for Puget Sound, but one doesn't need easterly or westerly.

Remember 4-5 years ago when Blakely Rock was an ESE? We were never able to fly the chute. We watched the boats in front hoist and get shoved off to Bainbridge.

Was a very weird race. 

I guess we forgot our easterly sails that day

15 knots? Sailflow is only showing 10 in the afternoon...

Wow Locus you were correct. It was blowing over 15 knots most of the course!

1 hour ago, sailronin said:

Wow Locus you were correct. It was blowing over 15 knots most of the course!

We saw over 15 knots of breeze only a couple times. I'm happy with my 10-knot northerly prediction.

we saw 15 + a number of times. Mostly in the middle where the current was the worst. Get to the sides and it was 13-15 puffs were 17-20. 

On the approach to the rock we had a 15 min +/- downwind ride of 9+kn boat speed. 10.25 was our top speed for the day. 

West point had over 15 for most of the day from 8-4

Sailflow.jpg

Yes, we were seeing solid 8.5 knots boat speed with 9.9 knots as top speed under chute, we were pretty overpowered upwind. I should have gone down to a #3 jib for the beat from the rock to the finish.

For the record, Jammer originally introduced himself to this site by denouncing CYC and all its sailors for setting kites in 25 knots on a Possession Pt. race as taking dangerous and foolhardy risks and that the club was ungodly for starting a race in those conditions.  He, of course, was observing the fleet from the safety of his motor-boat-with-a-mast as he witnessed a couple of broaches....Oh, my!!!  Broaches!!!

He (assuming "he", for I can't imagine any woman posting that idiotic badge as their avatar) apparently doesn't understand that you were talking about being "overpowered" and making below-target VMG uphill.  He doesn't understand much, apparently.  Best ignored.

Yeah, heeling too much being overpowered is not the same as being unsafe. 

Don't flatter yourself, no one's paying "attention" to you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sailronin said:

Yes, we were seeing solid 8.5 knots boat speed with 9.9 knots as top speed under chute, we were pretty overpowered upwind. I should have gone down to a #3 jib for the beat from the rock to the finish.

I think we crossed with you  at about 4 mile rock. We were on the edge with the #1, but had 9 on the rail so seemed to be in control. We were fine till the last beat, and mostly after crossing to the east side

14 minutes ago, Locus said:

I think we crossed with you  at about 4 mile rock. We were on the edge with the #1, but had 9 on the rail so seemed to be in control. We were fine till the last beat, and mostly after crossing to the east side

What boat?

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

For the record, Jammer originally introduced himself to this site by denouncing CYC and all its sailors for setting kites in 25 knots on a Possession Pt. race as taking dangerous and foolhardy risks and that the club was ungodly for starting a race in those conditions.  He, of course, was observing the fleet from the safety of his motor-boat-with-a-mast as he witnessed a couple of broaches....Oh, my!!!  Broaches!!!

He (assuming "he", for I can't imagine any woman posting that idiotic badge as their avatar) apparently doesn't understand that you were talking about being "overpowered" and making below-target VMG uphill.  He doesn't understand much, apparently.  Best ignored.

Good thing he was not out for the Toliva Shoal Race.

Screenshot_2018-03-02-12-58-30-1-1-1.png

11 minutes ago, Great White said:

Good thing you weren't overpowered.  Looking good.

We're in the background turning tail and heading home. Decided we had enough excitement after small spreaders in the water incident with the A4 up. 

58 minutes ago, Great White said:

10 hours ago, Left Shift said:

SH race - March 2015 was the race he was commenting on, blowing 25-28 with gusts as high as 35.  His comments were specifically about how unsafe the teams on Karl Buchan and John Buchan's boats were as they sailed on the first jibe across on Port to the west shore when both boats went over him with kites up. We sailed the race with a A4 and 3 on the run and back with a full main and a #4. We were on edge but not out of control around other boats or dangerous.  

We made it to SH in under 45 minutes and completed the course in 3:03:01 , with one crash. No sails damaged, no crew injured. I have a long video, great race. 

• Like 1

Yeah, We only saw one wipe out. Anarchy spun out BTW West point and the rock on the downwind. Around 12:30. We were seeing 9-10kn of boatspeed at that point and some of the puffs gave us pause (hand was on the vang)  but no real trouble. 

When we crossed, you were over pretty hard but looked controlled. It got windier though as we approached West Point. 

We saw a couple of wipe outs;  some blue and black spinnaker on what like a Catalina or Cal wipe out pretty hard and we saw Anarchy wipe out as well.