ridethewinds

SF Bay Area meetup for new dinghy fleet in CA

SailHMB (VX One sailor, but not limited to that) and I (currently in a Raider Turbo, likewise) discussed organizing a meetup of folks in the Bay Area who would be interested in the idea of getting a new one design dinghy fleet going locally or CA. state-wide.  I know there are Weta's and Lasers, but we'd like to open up the discussion to anyone interested in other boats, examples being the VX Evo, Raider Turbo, and whatever else you feel is ripping good fun as a dinghy (singlehanded, carrying 1 passenger a bonus), and who knows maybe put a group order together if it made sense, or try different boats and share findings.  If you are a sailor of one, or already have a small fleet going from SF Bay to San Diego, would love to hear about it. 

Please advise if interested with your location, and we can find a spot to connect in March (East Bay, San Francisco, Peninsula, etc. whatever is central, we are on the SF peninsula).  Thoughts / ideas welcome.

Thank you !

Lake Tahoe with Kite.png

That’s somewhat helpful, but we are  seeking folks online in CA that want to start a new fleet and have interest in other (newer) boats.  Or if they have a boat already and want to organize one. And specifically meet in that topic. A regatta is good and will try to attend, but folks are often distracted at the event. 

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, ridethewinds said:

That’s somewhat helpful, but we are  seeking folks online in CA that want to start a new fleet and have interest in other (newer) boats.  Or if they have a boat already and want to organize one. And specifically meet in that topic. A regatta is good and will try to attend, but folks are often distracted at the event. 

Thanks!

You’ll actually have sailors with the boats there, and it’s not a regatta. It’s a way for fleets to talk boats and give test rides so newbies can check them out. The Aero fleet seems to be doing what you seek. No affiliation on my part, already have too many boats.

Sounds great, I will try to attend with the Raider Turbo. 

I just sail tested the VX Evo and can share my findings.  In a nutshell- its a rocket with a kite, quick to plane, stable, simple to operate, well built & thought out design, highly portable.

In the meantime would love to hear from others in CA.

Thanks!

CALIFORNIANS who's interested in exploring a new fleet (?)

Sportboat forum might help also, checking with Viper owners in Socal / Norcal !   They might be up for adding a great handling single-hander to their programme (like the VX Evo, unless someone has a better idea..)

Sailhmb: I met some good folks., but a likely better event will be the upcoming "Big Dinghy" at Richmond Yacht Club in April.  Please sailtest an Evo soon.

While the attached picture was formed ~22 Million years ago, in a few hours sailing from the beach one is absolutely dripping with gratitude (along with 20 other incredible seaside venues / lakes across the state. !)

On 2/23/2018 at 5:51 PM, ridethewinds said:

SailHMB (VX One sailor, but not limited to that) and I (currently in a Raider Turbo, likewise) discussed organizing a meetup of folks in the Bay Area who would be interested in the idea of getting a new one design dinghy fleet going locally or CA. state-wide.  I know there are Weta's and Lasers, but we'd like to open up the discussion to anyone interested in other boats, examples being the VX Evo, Raider Turbo, and whatever else you feel is ripping good fun as a dinghy (singlehanded, carrying 1 passenger a bonus), and who knows maybe put a group order together if it made sense, or try different boats and share findings.  If you are a sailor of one, or already have a small fleet going from SF Bay to San Diego, would love to hear about it. 

sfbay_dinghy_sailing.jpeg

I'd love to join up for the next meeting. That'd make two of us!

I'm doing some learning at Cal Sailing Club, got my eye on an RS Aero this year. Would love to cruise around in a mean biker gang^h^h^h I mean, a nice dinghy club

-lou

I was at EYC today to check out the small boat races. No Finns out :(. It would be great to attend in April and the rest of the series if we can get boats. 

yeah I got family in town and mast in the shop.  Will make the next one. the other one parked there is Charles he's out of town till summer I think