I discovered I went round the mark the wrong way a long while after the rounding (way too late to go back and unwind myself and round it correctly). As soon as I discovered my error, I did a 720. Does this exonerate me?

No.

The rule dealing with Sailing the Course is rule 28, which is in Part 3 of the RRS.

28 SAILING THE COURSE
A boat shall start, sail the course described in the sailing instructions and finish. While doing so, she may leave on either side a mark that does not begin, bound or end the leg she is sailing. After finishing she need not cross the finishing line completely.

A string representing a boat's track from the time she begins to approach the starting line from its pre-start side to start until she finishes shall, when drawn taut,

1. pass each mark on the required side and in the correct order,

2. touch each rounding mark, and

3. pass between the marks of a gate from the direction of the previous mark.

She may correct any errors to comply with this rule, provided she has not finished.

The rule about taking on-water penalties is rule 44

44 PENALTIES AT THE TIME OF AN INCIDENT

Taking a Penalty

A boat may take a Two-Turns Penalty when she may have broken one or more rules of Part 2 in an incident while racing. ...

On-water penalties only apply to breaches of rules of Part 2, When Boats Meet.  They do not apply to breaches of other Parts.

I hope you had a fun Sail anyway!! 

A day randomly sailing around a bunch of buoys beats a day on shore.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Works with dates, too.

well  eating a date that has a string hanging, puts you in a very special club...

5 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

To the OP, what did/will you do now that you know that you broke a rule and were not exonerated?

RET. Basic Principle "Sportsmanship and the Rules" applies: "Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of rules that they are expected to follow and enforce. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire" [emphasis added].

On 2018-02-25 at 5:32 PM, _dinsdale_ said:

I discovered I went round the mark the wrong way a long while after the rounding (way too late to go back and unwind myself and round it correctly). As soon as I discovered my error, I did a 720. Does this exonerate me?

Even assuming that (Part 2) penalty turns could cure a Part 3 violation (which they can't),  you don't seem to appreciate the need to do such turns almost immediately following a violation. Rule 44.2 says "After getting well clear of other boats as soon after the incident as possible, a boat takes a One-Turn or Two-Turns penalty by promptly making the required number of turns ..." See generally Appeal 60.

1 hour ago, Svanen said:

Even assuming that (Part 2) penalty turns could cure a Part 3 violation (which they can't),  you don't seem to appreciate the need to do such turns almost immediately following a violation.

If you know you have broken a rule.

"As soon as I discovered my error, I did a 720. Does this exonerate me? "

The question to ask - Now that he knows he has broken a rule that cannot be exhonerated - did he RAF?

Not sure I understand your point; but if you're suggesting that the OP did his turns "as soon as possible", I respectfully disagree. Rule 44.2 doesn't say that a boat must do penalty turns "as soon as the boat finally realizes that she may have broken (a rule)".

Per Appeal 60: "The rule does not provide for time for a boat to deliberate whether she has broken a rule. If she delays in doing her penalty turns, she is still liable to be disqualified."

This issue is rather moot, given that - as Brass pointed out - Rule 44 doesn't apply to the OP's situation in the first place. However, I just wanted to clear up the OP's further misapprehension that penalty turns (when an option) can properly be done many minutes after an incident has occurred.

3 minutes ago, Svanen said:

Not sure I understand your point; but if you're suggesting that the OP did his turns "as soon as possible", I respectfully disagree. Rule 44.2 doesn't say that a boat must do penalty turns "as soon as the boat finally realizes that she may have broken (a rule)".

Per Appeal 60: "The rule does not provide for time for a boat to deliberate whether she has broken a rule. If she delays in doing her penalty turns, she is still liable to be disqualified."

This issue is rather moot, given that - as Brass pointed out - Rule 44 doesn't apply to the OP's situation in the first place. However, I just wanted to clear up the OP's further misapprehension that penalty turns (when an option) can properly be done many minutes after an incident has occurred.

People don't do penalty turns unless the know or think they have infringed,

This guy stated that he did penalty turns when he realized he made an error. Before he realized he had infringed he did not know he had infringed at the mark. .

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

This guy stated that he did penalty turns when he realized he made an error. Before he realized he had infringed he did not know he had infringed at the mark. .

In this case it doesn't matter - he could try to imitate a magic mixer with his boat but unless he goes back and unwinds his error he has not sailed the course - thus should humbly request to be scored RET

3 hours ago, Svanen said:

Even assuming that (Part 2) penalty turns could cure a Part 3 violation (which they can't),  you don't seem to appreciate the need to do such turns almost immediately following a violation.. Rule 44.2 says "After getting well clear of other boats as soon after the incident as possible, a boat takes a One-Turn or Two-Turns penalty by promptly making the required number of turns ..." See generally Appeal 60.

If you know you have broken a rule.

"As soon as I discovered my error, I did a 720. Does this exonerate me? "

The question to ask - Now that he knows he has broken a rule that cannot be exhonerated - did he RAF?

PP Sailor,

keep the full story in mind.  OP said

On 2/26/2018 at 9:32 AM, _dinsdale_ said:

I discovered I went round the mark the wrong way a long while after the rounding

So, 'as soon as he discovered his error' was a long time after he made the error.

But in any case, rule 44 just does not work for rule 28 (whether it is technically permissible or not).

A breach of rule 28 does not occur until the boat finishes.

Case 112

Definitions, Finish
Rule 28.2, Sailing the Course
Rule 61.1(a)(3), Protest Requirements: Informing the Protestee
A boat that makes, and does not correct, an error in sailing the course does not break rule 28 until she finishes. If a boat makes such an error, a second boat may notify the first that she intends to protest before the first boat finishes, or at the first reasonable opportunity after the first boat finishes.

A boat can't take penalty turns in advance of breaking a rule.

1 hour ago, Svanen said:

Sorry, I've quite often seen boats sail round in circles when they haven't broken a rule.

• Like 1

Seems to me that if you break a rule of Part 2 pretty much by definition there's another boat involved, probably some verbal communication about the incident and possibly a protest flag displayed. So you pretty much know right away that somebody thinks you've broken a rule, and can promptly evaluate whether you think you should do turns or not. And if you touch a mark you either know that right away or you didn't see yourself touch the mark--it's not something you're going to miss when it occurs and suddenly realize at some later time.

• Like 1