Sign in to follow this  
Mozzy Sails

RS800 Video

20 knot northeasters feel a little colder in the Northern Hemisphere... chilly day out on Chichester Harbour, but we had the place to ourselves. 

[ ]

[/ ]

• Like 1

@Daniel Holman we were actually sailing quite far up your way, it's best bit of water at half tide despite being a little shifty up near Peacock. Thankfully wasn't as windy on Sunday as the forecast. 15-20 knots, flat water, wind against tide, blue skies; was almost perfect except it being 1 degree! 

Man, you Brits are hardcore. It's like 50 deg F in the morning, and even though I know it will warm up to 65 later in the day, that's just too cold for me and I just go back inside for "second breakfast" instead.

• Like 2

Funny you should say that, at the moment pretty much the whole country is shut down for a few inches of snow. Certainly doesn't feel hardcore, although it was mighty cold on the water last Sunday. 

I remember when youth sailing chatting to other sailors from Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland and seeing pictures of them pushing boats out past the ice to find some sea to sail on; that's hardcore! 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 9:30 AM, mozzy656 said:

@Daniel Holman we were actually sailing quite far up your way, it's best bit of water at half tide despite being a little shifty up near Peacock. Thankfully wasn't as windy on Sunday as the forecast. 15-20 knots, flat water, wind against tide, blue skies; was almost perfect except it being 1 degree! 

Ha I'm actually a southampton water person, but 14ing takes us to chi harbour a lot

Another little video. Much less wind this week, struggling to build power most of the time, but not as cold thankfully!

Got a second camera too (Yi 4k Lite) which seems to have much better quality and higher frame rte for slow-mo. Old GoPro 960 is on the boom and new camera is on the rack an my head. 

Made a little video of my race from work to get out for the first evening sail of 2018. It's well over a month until evening racing starts, but for me the first dusk sail of the year is a significant mark of spring; far ore so than the equinox or changing of the clocks.

Got me thinking, here it's impossible to sail in the winter evenings, going dark at 4-5pm? But maybe the lower latitudes can sail all year round in the evening? Does that happen anywhere?

It's not all plain sailing. First time out in over 20 knots and finding it a little challenging. Unfortunately the jib tack snapped on the first upwind so we didn't get a chance to put in an decent manoeuvres. Practised decent t bit of body dragging though! 

Nice one! Shame about the mechanical. What is it with going into windward on the corners in big wind. So much of it is psychology I think. Tried to go out on weds but main kept pulling out of track... the struggle was real. And sweary.

Definitely all in the head, we're through the gybe and should be safe. The problem is I get in my head that I have to race across the boat, whereas in reality I should be taking it more chilled and focusing on matching steering to our movement. So paranoid about hitting the wire quickly that I forget to steer the boat up in to the breeze on the exit! 

Then we just pilled in to the first wave before getting in the straps, unfortunate timing!

Not an 800 video, but hope you enjoy nonetheless. Third race of the day in a building breeze. Weather mast read 30 in the gust but more like low 20s most the time. Nice and warm finally!