Sign in to follow this  
G.R.F.

Miami Kite Ban?

Copied from Kiteforum

We are making our final stand in Miami Beach, trying to prevent the city from banning kitesurfing on its beaches. We need your help and voice to show our city officials how important this is to us. We have been working around the clock for the last 4 months on this subject and are close to reaching an agreement. We need your help to push it over the finish line! Please sign our change.org petition. 

https://www.change.org/p/miami-beach-ci ... iami-beach
ATTACHMENTS
Stop the Ban.png
Last edited by Kitemanmuc on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hmmm - not sure that I agree with you on this. I started kiteboarding this year and I can tell you that from the POV of a non-kiteboarder, our sport takes up a lot of ocean and a lot of beach. When the kiteboarders come out, everyone else clears off because it's just too scary to be around people going so fast. No one wants their kids in the water on a kiteboarding beach.  If you are scaring away the tourists - for example, if a beach with kiteboarders gets one person per 10 yards and without gets one per yard - then you're fighting the commercial profit motive too, and commercial property owners tend to be represented on councils. 

Not knowing the details of your setup - I'd suggest acknowledging that the sport takes up a bunch of space and see if you can negotiate more than one location, rather than trying to claim that you're a benign activity with no consequences. Bring data - how many boarders, how many other beachgoers. See if you can negotiate an equitable use of some kind. Or a "time of day" or "time of year" when it's OK to kite if your good breeze is seasonable or varies during the day.

I'm a Miami resident and sailor, have done some kiteboard. I'm with Wet Spreaders here -- it seems like it'd be reasonable to have it restricted to some areas. There's also many spots that are not popular for the tourists, but golden for kiting (around Key Biscayne).

When you are kiting off KB, you won't be buzzing past the sexy sunbathing visitors... but that's not a right.

Well it's not on my beat, if you want to enter the discussion it's here on kite forum although how they'll react to yotties agreeing with the ban I'll leave you to guess, I was just widening the attention, I don't think many folk outside yotting know about Kite anarchy, which is probably just as well. ;)