• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Rum Runner

Asheville, NC

Mrs Rum and I are heading out to Asheville in May for fun and recreation.  Planning to do some hiking and beer drinking in the mountains.

Thoughts from the great SA brain trust:

Where should we stay? Downtown Asheville? Nearby? AirBNB or others? Hotels?

What specific things should we do? Hikes? Sites? Artsy things?

Where to eat and drink? Breweries? Good food? Other places that won't cost and arm and a leg?

Thanks to all who help out.

I'd suggest visiting an old GF of mine...... But Mrs. Rum might not appreciate that....

From 25 years ago, there's a lot of good places to eat, listen to music, drink, etc. But that was long ago, so nothing au current....

Most definitely visit the Biltmore estate ... the vision and workmanship is awe inspiring...after conceptualizing...overseeing every step of the construction and grounds landscaping...he moved into it at age 32... ...the city is way over capacity and a mess to get around ...go west of town to stay...many choices...great time of year May...we were there last October and stayed in the city close to Biltmore for that part of the trip

• Like 1

We *love* that area. There are some very distinct different experiences there.

1. Downtown Asheville is very fun to walk around. Lots of shops and restaurants. We didn't even get into the Biltmore. If you want to go there, track down discount tickets IN ADVANCE or prepare for a reaming.

2. The waterfalls. This area is the world capital of amazing waterfalls. They are spread out over a fairly large area and are not right next to Asheville. The best concentration of amazing waterfalls are around Henderson and Brevard.  I cannot emphasize enough how amazingly cool these waterfalls are.

3. Driving - forget the "Tail of the Dragon", half the roads there are like that. Getting from Brevard to Bryson City in a hurry to hop on the steam train involved so much late-apexing a big old Avalon I would have paid $20 for a straight stretch of road. I did learn all the delays and compliance take-up in the suspension to nail every turn though.

There is a lot to see here and it is spread out. We found the Henderson-Brevard area was close to the best waterfalls and not too far a drive to Asheville. They are also fun little towns themselves.

We have had good luck with VRBO both times we went there.

* forgot hiking, but there are tons of trails to hike on and many of them go past the waterfalls.

• Like 1

Eat at Salsa's downtown for Mexican Caribbean magic by Hector.  There are a ton of craft brew joints but make sure you visit Sierra Nevada's location there on your way to Brevard for the superb craftmanship in their building and layout.  Make sure you head up hiway 276 to Looking Glass Falls on your way up to the parkway for hiking at Graveyard Fields, Black Balsam, and Yellow Gap Wilderness.  Tons of Mtn Bike trails there in Pisgah, and over at Dupont.  

Rick

Stayed at the Grove park inn,  near Biltmore,  beautiful place.

get some bikes and do a stretch of the Blue ridge pkwy.

cool town ...

Favorite restaurant there is definitely Katie Buttons Place Curate. Fantastic Tappas. Might need reservations but if you go early can probably get a spot. Best to sit at the "bar" right in front of where they do all the prep.

2nd Sierra Nevada reealy cool building. We were there in December and no crowds but looks like the place is set up to handle large amounts of people so not sure what it will be like in May. As said above tons of good Brew Pubs right downtown. we Like Green Man and Asheville Brewing.

Grove Park is really cool but certainly not a budget stop

Mt Mitchell, a nice ride up the Blue Ridge with a restaurant at the top,

Looking Glass Rock Trail, nice hike with a great view at the top.

New Belgium Brewing Company & Highland Brewing Co are my favorites, but you could spend your whole vacation in the local breweries. We MTB and ride Harley's up there every year.

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You have to avoid running yourself ragged - there is way more to do around there than 1 week can cover.

...and in the highly unlikely event you do get bored, Charleston is a fairly quick hop down (both on the map and in elevation) I-26...

I know I'm late to the party but... spend a night at the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It close to 5000' in elevation. BTW; It has the restaurant not Mt Mitchell. But Mt Mitchell is worth a day trip; highest peak east of the Mississippi at 6600'+ . 

You can't go wrong in Asheville from it's own funkiness to the  unlimited outdoor adventures.  Depends on what do YOU like to do...

Biltmore is beyond awesome. Buy Tix online in advance 

Most breweries per capita in the country. 

Multiple waterfalls near Brevard.  Dupont St Forest. 

Shining Rock Wildernesss Area for short but spectacular hikes above 6000"

PM me for more... I go there a lot and have friends that live there.

May is the perfect time too. It's barely Spring and the tourists aren't there yet. 

On 2/26/2018 at 2:14 PM, Raked Aft\\ said:

Stayed at the Grove park inn,  near Biltmore,  beautiful place.

get some bikes and do a stretch of the Blue ridge pkwy.

cool town ...

Absolutely make the trip to the Biltmore.  And the Grove Park Inn is where my parents honeymooned 65 years ago!

On 3/15/2018 at 10:23 PM, echo said:

I know I'm late to the party but... spend a night at the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It close to 5000' in elevation. BTW; It has the restaurant not Mt Mitchell. But Mt Mitchell is worth a day trip; highest peak east of the Mississippi at 6600'+ . 

You can't go wrong in Asheville from it's own funkiness to the  unlimited outdoor adventures.  Depends on what do YOU like to do...

Biltmore is beyond awesome. Buy Tix online in advance 

Most breweries per capita in the country. 

Multiple waterfalls near Brevard.  Dupont St Forest. 

Shining Rock Wildernesss Area for short but spectacular hikes above 6000"

PM me for more... I go there a lot and have friends that live there.

May is the perfect time too. It's barely Spring and the tourists aren't there yet. 

If you stay at the Pisgah Inn, go up the road on the BRP to the trail head for the Mt. Pisgah trail.    Its not a long trail, about a mile and half, but there is a great observation deck at the top and you can see all of Asheville, as well as Cold Mountain and other vistas.

There are so many other trails in and around Asheville, you would do best to get a guide or look it up on the internet.   Rattlesnake Lodge trail is good one off of the BRP also.   There are interesting ruins of a summer lodge that was owned by an ancestor of a teacher I had in Asheville, long, long ago.

Ditto on the Breweries.   If you are a beer drinker, you can find a brew or several to fit your tastes there.

- Stumbling (yes, you will also be stumbling after a few beers...)

There is world class mountain biking with trails ranging from, well, trails, to downhill pro caliber gnarly stuff.   Good hiking too, check out the various websites that catalog hiker / biker trails to find out what you might be interested in.

The restaurant scene is really good.  Yelp is your friend, though I'd strongly recommend trying the black pepper / brown sugar ribs at 12 Bones Smokehouse, and sampling a flight of beers along with as many tapas as you can eat at Wicked Weed. 

The Tasty Beverage Company store is a great place to stop and stock up on local beers for during your stay and to take home. The crew are knowledgeable and if you tell them what you like they will put you on to some remarkable craft brews.  They have a tasting room.